Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

I never played Mass Effect but the fact that the main character is a short haired man named "Shephard" puts me off to the game. Off the top of my head I can think of like 3 other leader types with that name from fiction, it's the most generic rear end Bioware rear end choice of name.

Lost was huge when ME1 came out so I always assumed they used the name because of Jack Shepard on that show. The male version even looks similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shibawanko posted:

"Shephard"

Vakal posted:

Shepard

Wrex

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

What has been huge and remains huge in gaming are white male underwear model protagonists with five o'clock shadows.

https://www.destructoid.com/brown-hair-and-stubble-the-new-face-of-modern-videogames-178442.phtml

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

veni veni veni posted:

Shepard always looked like some WB show reject to me which I always found off putting. Just so mid 2000's blandly handsome like the guy from Prison Break or something. There's something so sterile and boring about the entire look of ME and Bioware games in general to me. The people, the environments, everything. Just not fun to look at at all.

He always looked like he had crazy eyes and was going to go on a shooting rampage on his ship after the sexy computer bitch wouldn't touch his toenails.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
lol if you played mass effect with a male shepard

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I played as male shepard because I love toxic masculinity.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Chomp8645 posted:

:hmmyes:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Chomp8645 posted:

This but unironically

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

The voice acting for FemShep is so much better. I tried to do a paragon run ManShep and bailed halfway through 1. Meers isn't a bad VA at all, Hale is just that much better.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
UT was ok but only because of the shock combo apart from that it sucked fat old lady titties

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

donkey kong country 3 is underrated. it does some things much better than the two games that came before it, and a lot of the one-off level gimmicks are done well. it gets poo poo on for the end of the game being hard as gently caress, and that's fair, but it's good overall

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

I never played Mass Effect but the fact that the main character is a short haired man named "Shephard" puts me off to the game. Off the top of my head I can think of like 3 other leader types with that name from fiction, it's the most generic rear end Bioware rear end choice of name.

Vakal posted:

Lost was huge when ME1 came out so I always assumed they used the name because of Jack Shepard on that show. The male version even looks similar.

The name is supposed to be a reference to Alan Shepard, the first American to go to space.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Walking simulators is a good genre.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

punk rebel ecks posted:

Walking simulators is a good genre.

There's a reason Squad/Forgottn Hope 2/Project Reality/Post Scriptum have fanbases

Vakal
May 11, 2008

BloodRed posted:

UT was ok but only because of the shock combo apart from that it sucked fat old lady titties

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

The male version sucks but the female version is super good so don't let the existence of male Shepard be the one thing stopping you from playing some good games

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
The first Mass Effect game was fun and cool. Just look up maps for the planet exploration parts and they're not that bad..

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

oh dope posted:

The first Mass Effect game was fun and cool. Just look up maps for the planet exploration parts and they're not that bad..

everyone said they hated the tank parts. I thought they were fun as hell

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Male Shepard is actually a decently acted character

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

QuarkJets posted:

The male version sucks but the female version is super good so don't let the existence of male Shepard be the one thing stopping you from playing some good games

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Male Shepard is actually a decently acted character

His voice acting is really only wooden in the first game, and since the big stupid jellyfish line was modeled to his delivery rather than hers, she is objectively the inferior choice

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

oh dope posted:

I like that it still felt RPG-rish whereas ME2 just went straight cover-shooter with some very very mild RPG elements and did neither well, IMO

ME1 also had a decent story and ME2 took a loving nosedive with poo poo from the first game just flat out ignored or pushed aside in favor of a cast of characters that about 80 percent of which just had some variation of "I HATE MY DAD" as their background, how riveting

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018

BloodRed posted:

Objectively wrong opinion.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

oh dope posted:

In a better universe there exist a version of the Mass Effect series where Shepard was never born and the reapers never invaded so the games focus entirely on Garrus and his day to day life as a C-Sec officer during the day and failing to pick up women at the citadel bar at night..

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vakal posted:

In a better universe there exist a version of the Mass Effect series where Shepard was never born and the reapers never invaded so the games focus entirely on Garrus and his day to day life as a C-Sec officer during the day and failing to pick up women at the citadel bar at night..

L.A. Noire with a likable character (instead of some dumbfuck idiot), set in space, with more quips and one-liners than you can shake a stick at

Vakal
May 11, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

L.A. Noire with a likable character (instead of some dumbfuck idiot), set in space, with more quips and one-liners than you can shake a stick at

Mass Effect 4: The Quarian Quandary

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Vakal posted:

I would absolutely play the shooter where you play a C-Sec officer and you're trying to take down some crime syndicate. The game takes place entirely on the Citadel, and the main villain mastermind is *spoilers" the newly appointed Elcor council member.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mass Effect 1 is the only game I've fallen asleep while playing because it's incredibly boring.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Good soup! posted:

I like that it still felt RPG-rish whereas ME2 just went straight cover-shooter with some very very mild RPG elements and did neither well, IMO

ME1 also had a decent story and ME2 took a loving nosedive with poo poo from the first game just flat out ignored or pushed aside in favor of a cast of characters that about 80 percent of which just had some variation of "I HATE MY DAD" as their background, how riveting

ME1's story was pretty bland. Really the planet where you talk with Sovereign and kill Wrex was cool, and the big ending level was cool, and the rest was just boring paint-by-numbers sci-fi pastiche with pretty skyboxes. It was Babylon 5 and ME2 was Farscape, and come on Farscape may have been sillier but it was a lot more fun

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

oh dope posted:

Imagine doing it by accident

Like, that'd be loving crazy weird

please do not kinkshame*

*my kink is crippling alcoholism and im big into self love

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Shepard always looked like some WB show reject to me which I always found off putting. Just so mid 2000's blandly handsome like the guy from Prison Break or something. There's something so sterile and boring about the entire look of ME and Bioware games in general to me. The people, the environments, everything. Just not fun to look at at all.

Yeah basically I think of ME as "Channing Tatum in offbrand Star Trek world". His armor, his face, the world he lives in, everything about that game just looks so profoundly dull, it doesn't help that I don't care for any other Bioware game either.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Mass Effect is a terrible game series. It has clunky gameplay, a boring story, irritating characters and is overall just kinda dumb and generally quite ugly.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Grunt is a perfect boy, and so is everything about his puberty mission.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bioware games are bad at everything I like in a video game, and good at everything I hate about video games.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mass Effect 1 is shamefully awful and was not even good at the time, and if ME2 had completely dropped the "grind mats for no reason" minigame it would have been better in every conceivable way. In general it's just night versus day when it comes down to how much better ME2 is.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

What the gently caress? how are you so wrong about everything?

/other edit: Turns out the real answer to the above is: "because I drink too much and am dumb as a box of hammers" and all of the below is shite.

I can't quite garner the tone of this, but I'll take it at face value for the sake of replying.

At the end of one of the GoW games, there's like a bonus section of 'arenas', a bunch of fights with stipulations like "win in under a minute" or "no powers" or whatever, and it's a nice extra, but I couldn't be hosed ever completing it, because it wasn't that fun. The game had been designed to play a certain way, and then these restrictions didn't really factor into that design, so it felt like "how to cheese it: the game". And that's perfectly fine, it's just a bonus section at the end.

In the new GoW, up until now it's done a great job of pretending to be open world, giving me the impression I've chosen to go one way, but 'could have' give a bunch of others. Up until now, when it's plonked me into the 'arena' bonus section, only it's a mandatory part of this game. There's even a boss character from the dark elf universe here in the fire universe. It doesn't make sense from a story point (I'm sure there's some hand waving later though, because Kratos forbid they acknowledge it's a game ever, this story is so HEAVY and compelling it would be a mortal sin) and it isn't fun from a gameplay point. It SHOULD be fun, I've just got a bunch of new abilities, and is the first real solid "fighty" bit. Only instead of "summon a huge ball of Spartans" or "throw lightning bolts" or "freeze time" my abilities are all like, "swing your axe in a semi circle ANTI clockwise after a parry" or "hit an enemy EVEN FURTHER away after a successful parry" or "follow up with an axe attack after a successful parry".

the game is obviously great and that's why I'm being over harsh on it, plus I keep playing it hung over. But I exclusively played the old ones hung over. I dunno, if you tell me it's me that sucks I'm 100% willing to accept it.

Plus, super hexagon is obviously art, it's got hexagons and Chipzel and flowstates for days, and basically nothing else.

/edit oh poo poo that was really overly long

!Klams fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Aug 27, 2018

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Muspelheim is actually 100% optional you doofus

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

bradzilla posted:

Muspelheim is actually 100% optional you doofus

Haha is it? gently caress, I checked my quest log like 4 times and still managed to cock it up? Alright, fine, game is great and Im a crow eating poo poo.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Witcher 3 is good but overrated

Dark Souls is good but overrated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Zzulu posted:

Witcher 3 is good but overrated

Dark Souls is good but overrated

No game can be “overrated” because that means you think too many people think something is good, which isn’t a criticism of the game but of the society the game is released in, and therefore isn’t a reflection of the game or its qualities.

Saying something is “overrated” is shorthand for “I don’t like a popular thing” and that is literally the only information that statement is capable of providing.