Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Alchenar posted:

I mean, if you were black then the 'gentlemanly' resolution to the ACW was pretty terrible and set you up for another hundred years of full blown legal discrimination to keep you firmly at the bottom of the civic ladder.

And yeah, the Western theatre got really nasty at points (mainly when the Confederate cavalry decided to go on a raid).

We didn't go straight from the war to Jim Crow, there was a post war terrorist movement and it eventually won a victory that stood for almost a century. Before black voters were suppressed legally they had to be suppressed violently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

No ventilation while fighting in the desert. :stonklol:

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Ensign Expendable posted:

American and British sphere tanks

:frogon:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
SOMUA S 35 in the German army sounds pretty good.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
I need a milhist referencing name for our new (female) hamster, any suggestions?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Florence Nightingale

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Loezi posted:

I need a milhist referencing name for our new (female) hamster, any suggestions?

Lyudmila or Rosa if you think your hamster is into killing nazis

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Loezi posted:

Hamstrich von Cheektitz, remember to place a miniature Eiffel tower to her domain.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Clearly a hamster is a Front Dome

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NATO_reporting_names_for_equipment

e: or you go for the reverse psychology and go with Flat Face

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Loezi posted:

Boudica

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

other (obvious) ideas: Mata Hari, Joan

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yikes (click for more, also context)

https://twitter.com/airzae/status/1033612981232459776

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Loezi posted:

Matilda. It's future proofed, you can name the next one Matilda II and still be milhist.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, that's a thing. Japan has some pretty prominant far-right movements, and one is a hotel that likes to put far-right literature in its rooms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=016PrRp-2kk

It's certainly an interesting approach to present their revisionist history translated into English in a place where foreigners will be able to see it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
How is it as toilet paper?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just finished reading Shattered Swords and I am glad the thread recommended it as it was a great read.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

We should a) have a new thread, this one is as big as the others were before they were shunted to the archives, and b) have a reading list in the OP.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's thematically appropriate that the thread is bloated and unwieldy though. If you do do (heh) it though, I'd reserve 2-3 posts after the OP so you can update it with effortpost links

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
We need to start a lengthy procurement process for a new thread that will ultimately come up with nothing, leaving this thread in service for another 20-30 years.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

We need to start a lengthy procurement process for a new thread that will ultimately come up with nothing, leaving this thread in service for another 20-30 years.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

The Next Generation Manned Posting System (NGMPS) will replace not just the Military History Thread, but also the Roman/ancient History Thread, the Liturgical Christianity thread, the Cold War/Airpower Thread, and the A-10 Warthog. It'll be an expensive project, but think of the economies of scale.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 25th August 1918 posted:

Btn. H.Q. moved forwards.

2 p.m. We received orders that the Bde would attack and capture the village of FAVREUIL. Zero hour 6.30 p.m. Operation Orders were issued (see appendix). At 5 p.m. the Companies began to move into assembly position.
Information regarding the assault, and undoubtedly reached the enemy, and we were subjected to heavy artillery, and machine gun fire.

6.30 p.m. Barrage commenced on right.

6.36 p.m. Our barrage commenced and our men went over. They had 700 yards to cover in 60 minutes, and then they were inder its protecting wings.

6.41 p.m. Our 18 lbs. firing short killed C.S.M. RAYBOULD
"B" Coy West Riding (Duke of Wellington) went over in our rear. This was evidently a mistake, and we endeavoured to turn them towards our left flank where there was a gap.

7.2 p.m. Report received from 2Lt. HADDOW that C+D Coys were held up by M.G. fire from ridge on our left. Support Coy of 10th R.F. diverted to try and deal with the situation.

7.25 p.m. Prisoners were coming through. 3 [unknown] Division. Very heavy fire from left flank.
349 prisoners prisoners were sent back [unknown]

7.25 Report from 2nd Lt. HADDOW that he had formed[?] [unknown] and pushed out Vickers guns to deal with the situation. [unknown]

7.45 Report from C.S.M BERTOUCHE. Reserve Coy 10 T.F.had succeeded in breaking through [unknown] resistance, and enemy had surrendered about 400 yards from the village.
Village strongly held by M.G's.

8.5 Reported situation to Bde by carrier pigeon. [unknown] informed that casualties are heavy.

8.15 [unknown] prisoners passed through. M.G. fire still active on left flank.

8.20 Urgent [unknown] for M.G. [unknown] went to Bde

8.40 Support [unknown] for Eng[?] C.O.[?] P.B. [?]

8.50 2nd Lt. HADDOW reported personally. Very few men left [?] Position [unknown] + disorganised on left

9 p.m. Bde[?] did not [unknown], owing to the [unknown] M.G. fire. [unknown] flank was organised.

10 p.m. Btn.H.Q. heavily shelled.

Apologies for the fragmented report. This page is probably the hardest to read in the entire diary (I'm sure there will be a comment about how easy that actually is to read compared to others people deal with! :)). That's the bad news.

The good news is that there is a report by the Battalion C.O. on the action which is very similar - image below.

13th KRRC War Diary, 26th 1918 posted:

The Btn was relieved by K.O.S.B. and on relief about 4.30 a.m. moved LOGEAST WOOD

Logeast Wood is a large area of woodland to the Northwest of Achiet-le-Grand. For some reason it is unlabelled on google maps so it took a bit of hunting around to find out where it was.

And finally let's have a report on what was captured during the last few days -

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

The Next Generation Manned Posting System (NGMPS) will replace not just the Military History Thread, but also the Roman/ancient History Thread, the Liturgical Christianity thread, the Cold War/Airpower Thread, and the A-10 Warthog. It'll be an expensive project, but think of the economies of scale.

The reliance on manned posting is anachronistic, all our likely adversaries - Russia and China in particular - are far ahead of us in unmanned posting.

In order to increase synergies, reduce the number of Unintentional False-Positive Posts (UFPP) in other threads, I propose a Common Posting Platform (CPP) to improve accuracy, speed, and content of Posts on Target (POT). The CPP should be linked and fully networking-capable to enable fourth- and fifth-generation shitposting with laser-accuracy to increase lethality. It will also allow accurate posting even in heavily-derailed situations like Tank Destroyer Debate Environments (TDDE) and still enable semi-accurate posting in Fascism Definition Debate Environments (FDDE).

It will also be VTOL and stealth.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
we should make just a history thread because there are other interesting history things to talk about

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

bewbies posted:

we should make just a history thread because there are other interesting history things to talk about

that’s a good idea- the pyf history thread seems to do pretty well but it’s very shallow. it would be nice to read long form effortposts or discussion on the subject imo

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

bewbies posted:

Hmmm, I dunno, I feel bad about the potential for infinitely long digressions about communism or whatever without the way to point out that they are off topic.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

StandardVC10 posted:

If we're going to such an expense then the next thread should be multi-mission capable to be better able to handle the ever changing face of posting.

Future History, if you will.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

StandardVC10 posted:

Maybe we can make it optionally-manned, and get in on that next gen robotic poo poo-posting.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The NGMPS needs to include male fashion advice as well. This is completely non-negotiable and if it doesn't my branch will not participate in the project and will withhold all future posts from the project.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Geisladisk posted:

The NGMPS needs to include male fashion advice as well. This is completely non-negotiable and if it doesn't my branch will not participate in the project and will withhold all future posts from the project.

Here you go

Make sure to wear your ge dai under the lamellar for that slimming look.

Fangz posted:

Hmmm, I dunno, I feel bad about the potential for infinitely long digressions about communism or whatever without the way to point out that they are off topic.

This is a good point, I remember how quickly those last tangents about communism got put back on track after this got pointed out.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

MrYenko posted:

Maybe we can make it optionally-manned, and get in on that next gen robotic poo poo-posting.

Russia is already so far ahead of us on this, we have to eliminate the unmanned posting gap!

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

StandardVC10 posted:

I can't remember the last time a post made me laugh out loud, but this certainly did. I just wanted you to know that.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Loezi posted:

Flora Sandes

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I insist that the next thread be able to take off vertically, because Guadalcanal.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Phanatic posted:

They weren’t even Navy crewmen, they were merchant mariners.

I should have known that, not two threads below this one is a thread called "No, I'm not in the Navy: The Maritime Transportation Thread."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The badley armored fighting thread

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Clarence posted:

Apologies for the fragmented report. This page is probably the hardest to read in the entire diary (I'm sure there will be a comment about how easy that actually is to read compared to others people deal with! :)). That's the bad news.

It reads like an SCP report...which is unnerving. They could be fighting Martian tripods, mechs or a ghost army and it still mostly works.

So, with the amount of POW's taken it sounds like it was pretty successful?

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Comstar posted:

It reads like an SCP report...which is unnerving. They could be fighting Martian tripods, mechs or a ghost army and it still mostly works.

So, with the amount of POW's taken it sounds like it was pretty successful?

They're well into the Hundred Days, most of them are.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

In 3 or 4 days time I'll post the casualty numbers for the month, and you can judge whether it was a success or not. (But yes, it's a resounding success)

13th KRRC War Diary, 27th 1918 posted:

A quiet day resting. Day was devoted to men cleaning up, and inspections of fighting equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bewbies posted:

Please do, I have so many stupid movie-generated questions that don't necessarily fit into military history

Gideons getting militant