Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

This guy is going to be speaking at my state library in October, and tickets are about $200 each. I get the feeling he is going to be talking about what is in his Ted talks, more or less, and obviously that's free so...

https://hancockcreative.com.au/innovate-like-disney/

It is an interesting video imo. Relevant to the thread is the second half where he talks about how Disneyland gives people RFID bands to speed up customer service but also collect data about customer movement and behaviour, down to which items sell best from specific shelves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8MwiGYzlyg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

The creepiest thing about them is that they can have animatronics greet children by name based on the info in their bands.

The best(?) thing about them is they use the bands to monitor foot traffic and reroute employees on the fly.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Fumaofthelake posted:

The creepiest thing about them is that they can have animatronics greet children by name based on the info in their bands.

The best(?) thing about them is they use the bands to monitor foot traffic and reroute employees on the fly.

Also there's basically no such thing as a lost kid, which is an achievement worth as much of my shopping data as you could ever want.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

is pepsi ok posted:

https://twitter.com/bopinion/status/1033416767249571842

:thinkingmarxfaceexpandingtothesizeoftheuniverse:

Actually Bloomberg it sounds like it's functioning exactly as designed

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Eat my poo poo you bloomy bergin sack of garbage

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I'll take 'because he needed the money' for 50 points, Bob

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The sooner Americas great collapse comes, the better it'll be for us all

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
Warren Buffett and Mark Zuckerberg Live Below Their Means — Here's Why You Should Too

https://curiosity.com/topics/warren-buffett-and-mark-zuckerberg-live-below-their-means-heres-why-you-should-too-curiosity/

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

TheMostFrench posted:

This guy is going to be speaking at my state library in October, and tickets are about $200 each. I get the feeling he is going to be talking about what is in his Ted talks, more or less, and obviously that's free so...

https://hancockcreative.com.au/innovate-like-disney/

It is an interesting video imo. Relevant to the thread is the second half where he talks about how Disneyland gives people RFID bands to speed up customer service but also collect data about customer movement and behaviour, down to which items sell best from specific shelves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8MwiGYzlyg

only the worst people visit Disneyland so I'm okay with them being tracked and herded with electronics like cattle

(I exempt Death Grips and The Melvins)

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Jose Oquendo posted:

I work in higher ed and the university owned garage I park in is $666 per year. Same rate for students.

Which parking deck, Lake of Fire or Circle of Greed?

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

bag em and tag em posted:

Virgin has one of the shittiest pay rates and policies for flight crews, particularly Flight Attendants according to my wife who is a flight attendant for a different company

I didn't know that. A lot of airlines treat their staff like poo poo but I'd hazard a guess that virgin aren't as bad as some of the middle eastern airlines who essentially enslave their flight attendants and other staff.
Qatar airways is supposed to be particularly nasty.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

I didn't know that. A lot of airlines treat their staff like poo poo but I'd hazard a guess that virgin aren't as bad as some of the middle eastern airlines who essentially enslave their flight attendants and other staff.
Qatar airways is supposed to be particularly nasty.

LOL if you think that any company owned by Sir Richard "My Ego Has It's Own Postal Code" Branson doesn't have 'gently caress the plebs that both work for me and buy from me, squeeze them for every penny, that money is my birthright' etched onto a plaque hanging in his bathroom.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Zzulu posted:

The sooner Americas great collapse comes, the better it'll be for us all

Looking forward to chinese overlords?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

happyhippy posted:

Mine was free, but there were too many cars and not enough spaces.
So they parked in the surrounding streets and the locals complained.
To combat this, they dug up a good few spaces to build a store for wheel clamps and a tow truck and charged a 300 euro a year pass.
The end result? More cars ended up in the surrounding streets!

My university didn't even have a buss pass. After two years or so, there was a vote on whether or not to add one to the student dues for $30 (per semester, I think). Students voted it down. Worst part was that the city was pretty spread out so would've made getting groceries way easier AND made it way easier to get downtown, since the university was surrounded by residential area and didn't have much to do around it.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Reminder that you could guillotine Bezos and confiscate his wealth and give $1000 to every household in the U.S. and there would still be over 20 billion left over.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Memento posted:

Also there's basically no such thing as a lost kid, which is an achievement worth as much of my shopping data as you could ever want.

To be fair, this has pretty much always been a thing at Disney, since they put an insane amount of effort into security around that at the parks. I haven't gone to it since I was like five, ages ago, but I got away from my dad for a bit (he could still see me, I couldn't see him, I don't remember why) and like three uniformed security dudes swooped out of loving nowhere the second I started calling for him. They came out of the god damned walls.

Actually that's pretty creepy now that I think about it

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Memento posted:

shorter lines too!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

Looking forward to chinese overlords?

I'm still convinced that despite all their bluster the Chinese economy will collapse even harder than North America's the second North America can't afford the literal boatloads of disposable plastic poo poo that China produces and ships across the Pacific each day. There's over a billion people living in mainland china so even if only 20% of the currently employed lose their jobs once the western ponzi scheme falls apart that's still over a hundred million pissed off unemployed Chinese that the PRC are going to have to deal with.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

EvilJoven posted:

I'm still convinced that despite all their bluster the Chinese economy will collapse even harder than North America's the second North America can't afford the literal boatloads of disposable plastic poo poo that China produces and ships across the Pacific each day. There's over a billion people living in mainland china so even if only 20% of the currently employed lose their jobs once the western ponzi scheme falls apart that's still over a hundred million pissed off unemployed Chinese that the PRC are going to have to deal with.

They're pushing hard as gently caress to get as much influence as they can right now.

They might collapse.

Either way there will be a vacuum and somebody will step up. Even if it takes a while.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

EvilJoven posted:

LOL if you think that any company owned by Sir Richard "My Ego Has It's Own Postal Code" Branson doesn't have 'gently caress the plebs that both work for me and buy from me, squeeze them for every penny, that money is my birthright' etched onto a plaque hanging in his bathroom.

I don't think otherwise. Id say they're similar to Ryanair in how they treat their staff.
What I'm saying is that Id guess they don't literally enslave and imprison their employees like Qatar airways do.

https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/the-truth-about-the-luxury-of-qatar-airways/

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

I don't think otherwise. Id say they're similar to Ryanair in how they treat their staff.
What I'm saying is that Id guess they don't literally enslave and imprison their employees like Qatar airways do.

https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/the-truth-about-the-luxury-of-qatar-airways/

I spent a while in qatar. It's a slave nation and it's all right out in the open. Hell, they're proud of it.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Inept posted:

Reminder that you could guillotine Bezos and confiscate his wealth and give $1000 to every household in the U.S. and there would still be over 20 billion left over.

think about the shareholders though

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Halser posted:

They can sharehold my balls

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Halser posted:

Thinkin bout them guillotines

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Bloop posted:

They can sharehold my balls

Shareholders have voted to liquidate, sorry

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

A recent (the most recent?) Madden 18 update turned all the loading screens into ads for Madden 19.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Inept posted:

You'd have to sell Amazon to get the cash though

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Oh no?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

nationalize it imo

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Nah you just borrow against it. It's like you haven't even been reading the thread.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Fumaofthelake posted:

A recent (the most recent?) Madden 18 update turned all the loading screens into ads for Madden 19.

That's clever. They're really killing it lately.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

is pepsi ok posted:

Jesus, my campus parking pass was $50 ten years ago and I thought that was outrageous.

About 10 years ago my school's parking passes were over 200 bucks. For most people that got you parking in a lot about 15 minutes bus ride away from the actual campus, and that lot was often closed for various events in which case you were SoL.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Lol

I don't think it's mathematically possible to not live below 40 billion or whatever

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Former DILF posted:

Eat my poo poo you bloomy bergin sack of garbage

But... they're right? Capitalism isn't working right. :confused:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

wilderthanmild posted:

About 10 years ago my school's parking passes were over 200 bucks. For most people that got you parking in a lot about 15 minutes bus ride away from the actual campus, and that lot was often closed for various events in which case you were SoL.

You guys are making me kinda glad I went to a small city college where all my classes were easily within walking distance of my dorm.

Faded Mars
Jul 1, 2004

It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga.

I've seen articles on this before, and I've always found it baffling.

If you're not going to spend the money, why bother making it? Is it really just a game to them about making numbers go higher? And if there's so much excess they could do without, why don't they, I don't know, pay the people working under them more?

Although I guess that's the whole point of this thread.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

actionjackson posted:

Lol

I don't think it's mathematically possible to not live below 40 billion or whatever

These men are fabulously wealthy. The peak of modern human striving. It's good that they don't use the money. They shouldn't use it. Just leave it in a big room. That's what money's for! If you spend less of it you will have more to put in the room - which is, let me say again, extremely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Faded Mars posted:

I've seen articles on this before, and I've always found it baffling.

If you're not going to spend the money, why bother making it? Is it really just a game to them about making numbers go higher? And if there's so much excess they could do without, why don't they, I don't know, pay the people working under them more?

Although I guess that's the whole point of this thread.
Warren just really likes making numbers go up, and also happens to be really good at it, as far as I can tell. He also likes McDonald’s so he’s all, why pay more.