Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Just popped into Chardok on everybody suggestion.. my god that place is probably twice as fast xp compared to the Hole. Just an absolute shitload of overpowered charm pets in there, and I can run two at the same time with my druid/enchanter.

It seems like charms in there actually hit harder when they're charmed then they do normally. I've only seen that happen with a couple mobs before (the ilis wizard in Seb for one), wonder what the deal is. In the hole the max his is always lower when charmed, and the cap is all over the place for different mob types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
TBS on Phinny tonight! Got my launch group set up.

I'm hoping the progression (up to unlocking the raid, not the raid itself) can be done in an evening without staying up super late (so like, within 6 hours would be great).

Looks like a lot of it is instanced too, not sure if all of it is or not though. If not, phew, that's gonna be nasty.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

xZAOx posted:

TBS on Phinny tonight! Got my launch group set up.

I'm hoping the progression (up to unlocking the raid, not the raid itself) can be done in an evening without staying up super late (so like, within 6 hours would be great).

Looks like a lot of it is instanced too, not sure if all of it is or not though. If not, phew, that's gonna be nasty.

Its all instanced. With a proper group, campfires, and someone who knows what they're doing, you can finish Solteris flagging in about 4-5 hours. With a rogue, you can shave even more time.

Starting in SoF there are open world elements to flagging, but by and large its simple tasks that you might have to wait for normal zone respawns for. Phinigel is starting to become thinner so either you beeline for a certain set of tasks or just wait for repops / picks and it'll be fine.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Hoohah posted:

Its all instanced. With a proper group, campfires, and someone who knows what they're doing, you can finish Solteris flagging in about 4-5 hours. With a rogue, you can shave even more time.

Starting in SoF there are open world elements to flagging, but by and large its simple tasks that you might have to wait for normal zone respawns for. Phinigel is starting to become thinner so either you beeline for a certain set of tasks or just wait for repops / picks and it'll be fine.

Sweet. We won't be super optimized, but we did have a guildmate run through it on Test and drop us notes so that should save some time. Sounds like we'll have a good chance to get it done in 6 hours.

And yeah, Phinigel is starting to thin, but we're still pretty packed. Past 2 expacs still had 13 guilds clear stuff in-era. We definitely lost some key players this expansion though - either didn't play it at all, or quit part of the way through. However, our recruitment has been up actually, and not just from people leaving old guilds.

Speaking of in-era - we got zero Sekvs to drop. gently caress TSS weapon drop rates.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

xZAOx posted:

Speaking of in-era - we got zero Sekvs to drop. gently caress TSS weapon drop rates.

Let me see...

1 x Sekv
1 x Fleshmelter
2 x Brumals
2 x Embershank
4 x Fjorlask

About what I expected.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
3 months of Time. Still havent seen a DBoW, SK Cudgel, or TA.

Giving away Hopebringers in paladin channel tho...

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Hoohah posted:

Let me see...

1 x Sekv
1 x Fleshmelter
2 x Brumals
2 x Embershank
4 x Fjorlask

About what I expected.

0 x Sekv
4 x Fleshmelter
4 x Brumals
1 x Embershank
2 x Fjorlask
4 x Cudgel of Unifying Vision

I think overall we fared better.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose
so 50% bonus exp this weekend, where is the best place to grind on live servers at 85?

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
So Solteris was simultaneously as fun as I remember and some of the most frustrated I've ever been.

For starters, login and instances were alternately borked so we had to deal with that fun, and got started late yesterday.

Event 1 was exactly what I remember, except this time I was both pulling mobs in *and* turning in the armor bits. advanced looting makes it easy though.

I was positive we wiped during Event 2, we had Aprosis pulled in at the wrong angle right as the first wave of adds spawned, got him in the cubby and slowed with only me left on him and I didn't have disc after tanking the orc. Magic-ed our rear end through that through some clutch heals and banner rushing. Will be much cleaner next time now that people have seen it (or seen it again).

Event 3 was as boring as I remember, but fairly smooth. We learned to keep the Convergence group on the other side of the bridge and have people ready to furious the 16 wave.

Event 4 was a clusterfuck from minute one, Astire kiter/tank got mezzed, Sword was running all over the place, you name it it was another 'we should have wiped' moment. Somehow got the clusterfuck under control and got Astire down to 30% or so before the tank on him died due to too many werewolves. Limped our way to the end and cleaned it all up.

Event 5 started horribly, we had 3 summoners make it to the portal and back without dying and I figured Irrissa would just hit too hard. Cleaned up the portal and got on him, the melee dps changes are ridiculous...killed him but the last 2 clone spawn at 10% was a disaster that killed half the raid.

Event 6 we had two main healers log and everyone was now dead tired. First round one of our 6 boxers turned on attack on all of his dudes out of muscle memory and immediately powered them up. Second round, much better, but still losing people as sleep calls. Did a third try where yours truly had to tank 4 aspects at once and damned if we didn't almost win... Alas, it was not to be, and someone unbalanced the giants and we called it a night. CoC was nipping at our heals ever since Event 4 so they come in and take 3rd, grats to them.

Came back tonight with a few changes and an additional tank logged on from work and almost got Commodus down, but our positioning was bad and kept getting liquid magmas. Moved him on the next try and the magmas didn't add until like 5%...when like 20 did whoops.

First try on Event 7 was mostly showing people where everything would be, second try was the kill.

Lots of work to clean up the execution but as the gear rolls in, it'll probably get trivial in a few weeks.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Grats on 4th! We beat Event 1 with about 20 seconds to spare on the timer. We had our old guild leader return from the dead since he knows Solteris well - unfortunately he picked items that his guild used on live, which didn't work well for our guild with box crews (lots of shadowstep). We did some guild banner rushing and got it down though.

Event 2, our DPS isn't enough to keep us to 1 wave, so we got 2 waves. We never got stable. Second attempt was a quick "this isn't going to work". Third attempt went real smooth, after we moved where we pulled the boss to.

Event 3 was slow and steady, no issues, but we called it a night there. We should wrap it up Sunday.

There were only 2 items I didn't upgrade in TSS - my DoN ring and my epic 2.5. I won one of the TBS rings (we bid it off as a whole item with all upgrades), so as we clear our way through, I'll get that, so pretty stoked for it. Even just the 1 bag made it an upgrade over my DoN ring.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

What's better as a level 52 Bard on Coirnav (Kunark era, Velious come wednesday)?:

Chant of Battle (lvl 1 STR Song) + Verses of Victory (Lvl 50 Haste song)

or

McVaxius' Bezerker Crescendo (Lvl 42 STR + Haste song) + McVaxius' Horn of War (140% Brass enhance)

This is the p99 page but I don't know if Coirnav really works this way or not:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Bard/Songs

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
By velious most melee have dex drat near maxed. You’re almost always better off with the higher level haste spells until war march (katta and muram) that add damage shield components.

I would, at a minimum, run your haste song, niv’s harmonic, psalm of veeshan. 4th slot can be a swappable option depending on the situation, or an AE resist song if called for.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I can see that Agent of Change lockouts are account wide, but is that server specific or global ?

So if I do Phinny in the AoC instance on agnarr would I also be locked out of doing it on Coirnav ?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Baconroll posted:

I can see that Agent of Change lockouts are account wide, but is that server specific or global ?

So if I do Phinny in the AoC instance on agnarr would I also be locked out of doing it on Coirnav ?

AoC is not account wide, it's per-character.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

xZAOx posted:

AoC is not account wide, it's per-character.

It might be per acct per server, but it's definitely not just character.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Wait wait wait.

So you're saying if you have two characters on your account, C1 and C2, and you run a raid with C1, you can't go back to character select, switch to C2, and run the raid again?

Seriously? When the hell did this happen? I only play one character, but that seems absolutely bonkers. I'm going to test this real quick.

Okay yeah, you guys are smoking crack. My bank trader has no lockouts, and we ran raids yesterday.

Edit: unless you're saying these are purely the newer AoC instances, not the original baked in ones. And that's still insane to me.

Edit2: So yeah, AOC instances are different. Apparently it's a thing they added because live servers can create F2P characters and they wanted to keep farming down, because reasons?

Oh well, my bad guys. TIL.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 27, 2018

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
Your comment was a rollercoaster.

Yeah I assume TLP and Live AoCs are different?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Heh, accurate, since it was a roller coaster for me. It doesn't even impact me and I'm mad about finding that out. Stupid as hell.

As to your question, I don't know - but aoc's and original raid instances are definitely different. Original raid instances are only per character (like Solteris, which is what we ran yesterday - no lockouts on my banker which is on the same account on Phinny as well).

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

It's Velious day on Coirnav!

Any links to a guide? Never really played Velious before, don't have any idea what to do as a 54 Bard except head straight for Velks and try for a Late of the Howler.

What's up with Drums of the Beast? Used to be on a named in SG, now it's on a level 55 "shimmering sea spirit". Is that mob a rough camp?

How do I start grinding a set of plate armor?

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
The SG named can spawn all over the zone iirc (in certain preset spawns) so we just had a ranger tracker to make sure a named never spawned elsewhere and kept clearing the castle thing.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
SG is serious money in era and to a lesser extent out of era.

If you can get a good group, you'll make massive bank selling the rare gems needed for armour.

Make sure to kill all the swordfish mobs in the water too. Fellspine can spawn and has a small chance to drop a really nice 34(36?)% haste belt. Good cash for that.

Deepwater ink should sell very well too and that's off the those bear and walrus looking things.

If you have brewalls in game maps downloaded, it shows you all the spawn points and spawn areas.

SG is also sweet exp.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Had a few fun races for open world raid mobs on Velious opening night last night. The ones I was involved in were decent - just straight up competition with no griefing. No trains, or trade windows, and no abuse.

Won some and lost some and enjoyed it.

I did hear NToV was a 3-way sh*tshow but didn't see that first-hand.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

We sat in the Plate Cycle room for 4 hours and lost a couple guild members to complete boredom and loot drama.

The guild leader quit the game two days ago and was the only discord admin, so when the loot drama and gquitting started there was no way to mute or kick the guys out of the voice chat

Classic experience 10 out of 10

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Hoohah posted:

Event 1 was exactly what I remember, except this time I was both pulling mobs in *and* turning in the armor bits. advanced looting makes it easy though.

Last Sunday, our second Solteris clear, and our turn-in-person accidentally hosed up and we were left with a mob that every 15 seconds did a 25k AOE that also FD'd you. It was hilarious.

We just started a new DZ :P

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

xZAOx posted:

Last Sunday, our second Solteris clear, and our turn-in-person accidentally hosed up and we were left with a mob that every 15 seconds did a 25k AOE that also FD'd you. It was hilarious.

We just started a new DZ :P

Yeah that's the failure condition of Sisters. If you end up with a sister (or two) that have the sword, you're hosed.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Baconroll posted:

Had a few fun races for open world raid mobs on Velious opening night last night. The ones I was involved in were decent - just straight up competition with no griefing. No trains, or trade windows, and no abuse.

Won some and lost some and enjoyed it.

I did hear NToV was a 3-way sh*tshow but didn't see that first-hand.

Which guild are you with? I've been looking around for a place to raid since hitting 60 on my druid. it's really hard to tell the culture of a guild from the outside in, all I have to go on is how lovely or not their website and charters are. I do want to at least try raiding with my druid to see if it's more fun than enchanter.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Heard a rumor that WT imploded. I only log on to raid, so haven't had a chance to look into myself. Confirm/deny?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

xZAOx posted:

Heard a rumor that WT imploded. I only log on to raid, so haven't had a chance to look into myself. Confirm/deny?

Confirm. Most ended up in OGC. A few went to EoE, and one that we know of went to CoC. The rest quit EQ.

Watch for 4x Twin Gods splits notifications tonight.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
What's the story? Was it because they broke their expac winning streak due to DBG sucking?

I definitely feel Phinny is on the down swing these days. Not saying "doom and gloom" because we've already had 11 (well 10 if you consider Darkwind X and CC one guild, which you probably should at this point I guess) guilds clear the expansion, but the general interest is obviously down.

Losing that top-end 2 guild fight kind of sucks. I wonder if there will be a splinter guild out of OGC once some dust settles, or if CoC will step up and start racing OGC.

I still think Phinny will have multiple guilds clearing in-era all the way to live - provided they fix the expansions we're about to hit where the design became explicitly time-blocked to force it to take months to get people keyed and such.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

xZAOx posted:

What's the story? Was it because they broke their expac winning streak due to DBG sucking?

This came up during raids this week with the WT members that joined, sounds mostly like Execute burned out dealing with the server issues and losing to OGC, then another officer (Astral?) decided he didn't want to try and take over the reins of the guild and stopped playing and when he left, took a core chunk of the officers and top people. No one really wanted to step up and guide the ship to try and compete with OGC after that, so it just kind of fell apart.

This is all second hand while I was trying to do loot, hand out phosphenes to the appropriate people, and lead the raid so I could be wrong :)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
That seems pretty likely though. Most raiding guilds (and this extends beyond EQ) generally only function because 1-3 people are willing to lead things. When those leaders get burned out or tired, the rest of us sheep move on.

Hell, even with just goon guilds, I experienced this with EQ2, WoW, and LOTRO. In some of those cases the guilds are still there, but the raiding immediately ended when the 1 person who lead things said "eh gently caress it". Noone else felt like stepping up (myself included! been there, done that, a few times actually).

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

xZAOx posted:

That seems pretty likely though. Most raiding guilds (and this extends beyond EQ) generally only function because 1-3 people are willing to lead things. When those leaders get burned out or tired, the rest of us sheep move on.

Hell, even with just goon guilds, I experienced this with EQ2, WoW, and LOTRO. In some of those cases the guilds are still there, but the raiding immediately ended when the 1 person who lead things said "eh gently caress it". Noone else felt like stepping up (myself included! been there, done that, a few times actually).

This is how it has always been for the most part; I was in 4 raiding guilds on live, the first was an alliance that raided together with like 100-140 people, lead by maybe 6; the other were guilds ranging from 30-70 all lead by 3 of us, 2 of them fell apart when my brother and I left (we were leading raids/doing loot/strat hunting/boxing whatever we needed to for raids to succeed) and the last one fell apart when the GL and raid leader quit EQ. gently caress taking up the mantle of hearding the sheep again it's a lot more work than it looks like to everyone outside, the amount of tells you get from people crying about stuff is insane. Our last guild was actually pretty good about that, I helped out a little bit here and there and talked to the guys a bunch about it and everyone was really chill overall so not much garbage but it was still a fair amount of effort.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hoohah posted:

This came up during raids this week with the WT members that joined, sounds mostly like Execute burned out dealing with the server issues and losing to OGC, then another officer (Astral?) decided he didn't want to try and take over the reins of the guild

Astral and Execute are the same person.

WT lost TBS because of Astral, both directly and indirectly. They had gone super casual in the lead up to TBS and did very little testing for the flagging progression. There wasn’t any incentive and leadership wasn’t pushing for it.

He created 3 primary flagging groups that were full of A-team members who were going to blitz through flagging using optimized classes and get into Solteris first, which they did. Those 3 groups were going to begin clearing events and possibly complete raid 1 and 2 with 18-24 people.

The problem was they didn’t test sufficiently and wiped to event 1 three times. And then wiped to event 3 with something like 24 or 28 people once, while OGC managed to one-shot it.

They raced through the rest of the bosses, picking up people as they completed flagging. Several people (myself included) DC’d at some point during the day and weren’t able to log back in until after Twin Gods were pulled.

In the end OGC won by 3 minutes and Astral got super frustrated. He logged out about 5 minutes after Solteris ended and didn’t log back in at all for a week. By that point people were starting to look around and seeing poo poo crumbling, so a few took off. When Dysomku announced that Astral wasn’t coming back (apparently there was miscommunication and “taking a break” was the intended message, but “quitting EQ” was how it was passed along to the guild) people started shedding like my husky in June.

The following night we barely had enough people to do Solteris, and the next day we clearly would no longer be able to fold a raid-capable force.

Astral has popped back around talking about reforming around SoF, but I think that’s a pipe dream at this point. Unless OGC seriously fucks up or the raid pacing and time investment puts off a ton of the WT people, I don’t see them coming back in a first-in-content-meaningful way. They could probably pull off an EoE/Entendre 3rd/4th/5th hard-casual type thing if they really pushed for people to come back, OGC hosed up and let certain officers open their mouths, and/or absorbed another guild, but that’s purely wild and unlikely speculation at this point.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Ah RIP, same ole story though.

TL/WT/ Whatever name you wanna give them, school OGC for a while until everyone remembers what a poo poo game it is and people start getting bored and quitting.
On fippy it happened with OoW, phinigel whatever expansion this is. I quit at the end of DoN for Phinny and GoD on Fippy.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Elephunk posted:

We sat in the Plate Cycle room for 4 hours and lost a couple guild members to complete boredom and loot drama.

The guild leader quit the game two days ago and was the only discord admin, so when the loot drama and gquitting started there was no way to mute or kick the guys out of the voice chat

Classic experience 10 out of 10

What guild are you in on coirnav?

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

That was Path of the Damned, a guild I joined at level 20 in unrest.

Now I'm in MIM as a trial but it's all real serious, probably won't stay.

I would love a guild focused on 6-man content, and am already kind of bored after hitting 60 tbh. Sitting in a 60 man raid plate cycle with the wierdest people I've listened to in my life on discord is not my idea of fun

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

Elephunk posted:

I would love a guild focused on 6-man content, and am already kind of bored after hitting 60 tbh. Sitting in a 60 man raid plate cycle with the wierdest people I've listened to in my life on discord is not my idea of fun

This sounds incredibly dumb. If you have 60, just go to OW HoT/WToV and compete for spawns.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I started up a BST on FV over the weekend. I made it to 68 last night and was wondering if there was a guide on where to go and what to do when I hit 70 or 75? I see people talking about doing quests for gear/augments/merc upgrades but I'm unfamiliar with most content past PoP and get lost pretty quickly trying to figure this stuff out.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Elephunk posted:

That was the vibe I got from their website. Lot of talk about 'what's best for the guild not the individual' and also claiming DKP systems favor guild officers unlike their loot council system. The site looked nice at least

I still haven't joined a guild, just been loving around with alts with the bonus xp event. Been having fun making a raid instance to do as a dungeon crawl with my enchanter/druid. It's awesome to get to experience the content without toxic shitlords monopolizing everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

hamsystem posted:

I started up a BST on FV over the weekend. I made it to 68 last night and was wondering if there was a guide on where to go and what to do when I hit 70 or 75? I see people talking about doing quests for gear/augments/merc upgrades but I'm unfamiliar with most content past PoP and get lost pretty quickly trying to figure this stuff out.

https://www.almarsguides.com/eq/leveling/
These guides are pretty good.