Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revolther
May 27, 2008
If you just released an app that reported back FREEDOM levels like that based on your gyroscope and radio signals, you would be the next president.

"Oh let's check the app, freedom not looking so good in California, lets build that Wall." Landslide victory for Saddam McHitler our new King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

revolther posted:

If you just released an app that reported back FREEDOM levels like that based on your gyroscope and radio signals, you would be the next president.

West Virginia comes last again.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
So it looks like the net neutrality bill was restored after Santiago hosed it, and it passed his committee and is heading to the Assembly floor.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/California-net-neutrality-bill-restored-after-13175606.php

quote:

Weeks after the hearing and amid intense backlash, Santiago agreed to restore the bill to its original form and have it return to his committee.

On Wednesday, Santiago was among the eight Democrats that voted for the bill.

Opponents were unhappy that the bill was brought back, with Steve Carlson of CTIA, the national trade group representing the wireless communications industry, calling the process “mystifying.”

The bill was passed two days after the Santa Clara County fire chief said in a federal court filing that his firefighters were put in danger after Verizon slowed down the speed of their wireless data while battling the massive Mendocino Complex fire in July.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The Glumslinger posted:

Carthago Delende Est - CATO institute

:golfclap:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
*Major ISP fucks over emergency services during a huge state crisis*
*Bill placing heavy regulations on ISP's is subsequently restored and sails through committee*

"Your process is too unclear!"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Double post but let's check in on some blatant corporate rear end covering:

quote:

Before answering questions from the State Assembly’s Select Committee on Natural Disaster, Response, Recovery and Rebuilding, Reyes revealed that Verizon is immediately lifting all data caps on public safety workers for unlimited data plans in four U.S. states, including California.

The rest of the article is pretty great too, Verizon is apparently busy wringing their hands about how because data caps technically aren't a net neutrality issue, it's wrong for the government to respond to their complete and total gently caress up by reviving strict net neutrality regulations. :allears:

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

Sydin posted:

Double post but let's check in on some blatant corporate rear end covering:

The rest of the article is pretty great too, Verizon is apparently busy wringing their hands about how because data caps technically aren't a net neutrality issue, it's wrong for the government to respond to their complete and total gently caress up by reviving strict net neutrality regulations. :allears:

I feel like evidence of their poor judgment and tendency to do the shittiest thing in any given situation is extremely relevant to legislation which would give them more freedom to be lovely.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
The fact that it's "four states, including California" and not "everywhere Verizon covers" says everything that needs to be said. Verizon can get hosed.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Thoom posted:

Verizon can get hosed.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Thoom posted:

The fact that it's "four states, including California" and not "everywhere Verizon covers" says everything that needs to be said. Verizon can get hosed.

According to the article the new plan is nationwide but they're rolling it out early for states with current natural disasters/emergencies. Also it's something they've been putting together for "more than eight months" and it's a complete coincidence that they're doing this now, of course.

Regardless,

Thoom posted:

Verizon can get hosed.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Next president ought to promise to break up Verizon, we got all of these anti-trust laws sitting on the books for a reason

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Glumslinger posted:

Next president ought to promise to break up Verizon, we got all of these anti-trust laws sitting on the books for a reason
I'm half convinced the fate of Verizon is like some greek tragedy: to be broken up then reforged slowly over decades, in an endless cycle of antitrust violations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

I'm half convinced the fate of Verizon is like some greek tragedy: to be broken up then reforged slowly over decades, in an endless cycle of antitrust violations.

If so, we're already in Act II.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
verizon and qwest merger when

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Sundae posted:

MCU is getting pretty confusing and depressing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sundae posted:

This should really be Ma Bell at the top, rather than AT&T.

And if you look closely, the only Ma Bell properties in Verison are Bell Atlantic and Nynex.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

This should really be Ma Bell at the top, rather than AT&T.

And if you look closely, the only Ma Bell properties in Verison are Bell Atlantic and Nynex.

It's also woefully out of date and doesn't include the partial AT&T Wireless and Verizon Wireless mergers, which also encompass AllTel and Vodafone, or any of the other cellular-era consolidations. :(

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=7548387&page=1

It'd be a lot of fun to see how the modern state of telecom looks when you include all the other players. Sprint is owned by Softbank, T-Mobile owns MetroPCS, Sprint and T-Mobile are constantly trying to merge, T-Mobile is majority-owned by Deutche Telecom, etc etc. I think the flowchart might be even more depressing.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 27, 2018

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Come on silicon valley. Where is my loving disruption tech for the telecom industry.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Come on silicon valley. Where is my loving disruption tech for the telecom industry.

Lol this will never happen, they only disrupt things that make it easier to be a rich adult child

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

SlimGoodbody posted:

Lol this will never happen, they only disrupt things that make it easier to be a rich adult child

Yea. drat it. You're right. How can I force the telecom industry to screw of rich manbabies?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The big SV players only put up a token lobbying effort against the net neutrality repeal. Compare that to eg the SOPA/PIPA lobbying. It doesn't really hurt their revenue streams, they don't really care.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Google sort of tried with Google Fiber, which was an elaborate game of chicken Google was trying to play with the ISP's to make them start rolling out fiber more broadly, because more users with faster internet is better for Google. Except the ISP's completely called their bluff, only rolled out fiber where Google did, and then threw the book at Google by lobbying against and suing the pants off of them anywhere and everywhere they even pretended they might try to expand Google Fiber. Google also lost a ton of money on the whole thing and once it became clear they'd have to roll out to literally the entire country before the major ISP's did likewise, they quietly scrapped all expansion plans and laid off most of the staff.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

SpaceX is planning to poo poo out thousands of microsatellites to provide wifi everywhere on Earth, so I'm sure elon musk will be a good caretaker of our wifi-based telecom future

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Leperflesh posted:

SpaceX is planning to poo poo out thousands of microsatellites to provide wifi everywhere on Earth, so I'm sure elon musk will be a good caretaker of our wifi-based telecom future

Looking forward to all that garbage clogging up ascent routes and trapping us on our new hot planet.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Admiral Ray posted:

Looking forward to all that garbage clogging up ascent routes and trapping us on our new hot planet.

We have to figure out how to endure or un-wreck the hot planet either way or we're not getting even a tiny sustainable population going anywhere else :shrug:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1034525014291345408

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

No doubt a good thing but how does it handle people who are extreme flight risks?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
They get to hang out and wait. The court gets to make this determination. Something along these lines led to the ACLU opposing the bill, despite having initially helped craft it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

No doubt a good thing but how does it handle people who are extreme flight risks?

quote:

Under Senate Bill 10, co-authored by Hertzberg and Rob Bonta (D-Alameda), counties would have to establish their own pretrial services agencies, which would use “risk-assessment tools,” or analysis, to evaluate people arrested to determine whether, and under what conditions, they should be released.

Only people charged with certain low-level, nonviolent misdemeanors — a list of charges that can be further narrowed by county — would be eligible for automatic release within 12 hours of being booked into jail.

i'm going to be amazed if judges and county officials dont just abuse this to prevent anyone from being released

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'm going to be amazed if judges and county officials dont just abuse this to prevent anyone from being released

Unless I'm reading the bill wrong the authors thought of this.

There are three levels of risk assessment for people who are arrested: low, medium, and high.

High risk get held no matter what. Low risk get released.

Medium risk is what this is talking about. County courts may create local rules:

quote:

"The local rule may further expand the list of offenses and factors for which prearraignment release of persons assessed as medium risk is not permitted but shall not provide for the exclusion of release of all medium-risk defendants by Pretrial Assessment Services."

So they can create a more restrictive listing for medium-risk detainees, but they can't make the list so restrictive that they never release anyone.

However, all of the above only applies to people who receive a pretrial risk assessment. Only people who commit felonies or certain misdemeanors actually get an assessment:

quote:

"A person arrested or detained for a misdemeanor, other than a misdemeanor listed in subdivision (e) of Section 1320.10, may be booked and released without being taken into custody or, if taken into custody, shall be released from custody without a risk assessment by Pretrial Assessment Services within 12 hours of booking."

So even if they wanted to bankrupt themselves holding every two-bit criminal they can find they have to release people brought in on misdemeanor charges within 12 hours. I haven't read the whole text yet but I can't find anything that lets them redefine who receives an assessment.

(Not a lawyer though I worked in the court system for a while, so someone with more legalese knowledge feel free to correct me if I'm off-base.)

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
The ACLU and prisoner's rights groups all changed from supporting it to opposing it 2 weeks ago after it was amended.

https://www.aclunc.org/news/aclu-california-changes-position-oppose-bail-reform-legislation

https://essiejusticegroup.org/2018/08/essie-justice-group-withdraws-support-for-sb-10/

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The rich are never affected by these things, don’t worry.

revolther
May 27, 2008
It looks like it literally has exemptions for EVERY reason a cop would come to someone's house on a domestic call. So basically it's a fastpass system for repeat DUI offenders and Cops who shoot kids, and a go straight to jail for 100 days card for all poor folks.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

How do we determine risk?

We have here a paper bag...

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Yeah, and it relies heavily on risk assessment tools which amount to "determine if someone is black by looking at every piece of available data except their skin tone."

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say its due to the language that lets counties/localities set their own rules for middle tier risk assessment

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

Baby Babbeh posted:

Yeah, and it relies heavily on risk assessment tools which amount to "determine if someone is black by looking at every piece of available data except their skin tone."

I feel like risk assessment tools are pretty terrible, but then you look at what people do left to make their own judgments and it's even worse. Right now it seems like the bill is combining the worst aspects of both with the huge amount of leeway over "middle" level risk.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

My favorite take ~by far~ has been “what about all of the bail bondsmen jobs? We interviewed the owner of Aladdin Bail Bonds and also a bail bond lobbyist for their thoughts”

*dave_chappelle_fuck_em.gif*

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

My favorite take ~by far~ has been “what about all of the bail bondsmen jobs? We interviewed the owner of Aladdin Bail Bonds and also a bail bond lobbyist for their thoughts”

*dave_chappelle_fuck_em.gif*

Yeah that was on NPR home of the "if we hold utilities responsible for fires what will their shareholders do"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiger_Soze
Feb 1, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah that was on NPR home of the "if we hold utilities responsible for fires what will their shareholders do"

Saw an ad on TV that basically said pge/BRITE will lay off every middle class employee before shareholders lose a dime.