Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Piggy Smalls posted:

Any recommendations on healthy school lunches and snack for my 14 year old boy?

He's 14 can't you ask him what he wants? also if this is to make him lose weight your gonna have a tough battle on your hands, I think you would be much better off encouraging him to be active and demonstrating healthy eating at home than trying to tackle his diet in a way that will piss him off. He is still growing so just cutting out the worst poo poo would be a good step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Piggy Smalls posted:

Any recommendations on healthy school lunches and snack for my 14 year old boy?

Take him into the woods and teach him to hunt and to fish. Teach him to make fire. Teach him to survive. Teach him to strike down the very gods.

Also, Lunchables

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Before, 156-160 lbs (old photos but similar weight)

After, 145 lbs

Total time: ~3 months
Routine: 4 days a week of bodyweight exercises/calisthenics at 30-40 minutes per session. The last month added fencing practice for 2-3 hours a day, 3 days a week.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I have been steadily losing weight by smoking meth. Now I'm 5 pounds lighter, which is great! Unfortunately all my weight loss is teeth related.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Big teeth, big life.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Verisimilidude posted:

After, 145 lbs

Routine: 4 days a week of bodyweight exercises/calisthenics at 30-40 minutes per session. The last month added fencing practice for 2-3 hours a day, 3 days a week.

Awesome!!

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
im looking for advice. so I was pretty good at waking up in the mornings before work and getting to the gym. early august i moved and now im sleeping through all of my alarms! ive been making up by exercising after work, but im still consistently doing 1 less strength work out a week and im bummed. i dont really like this solution.

idk its not even waking up and choosing to hit the snooze i think im waking up and hitting the alarm and getting back into bed without becoming conscious.

i have an old alarm im setting up farther from my bed but im nervous im going to sleep through that too...

also one of my new housemates is about my height and they are a lot heavier than me. they brag about how healthy they tho, they consider themselves out of shape. i vaguely wanted argue, because i dunno if you can really say youre healthy if youre out of shape. but they argue a ton and are 'right about everything' so i knew it wasnt worth it.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

im looking for advice. so I was pretty good at waking up in the mornings before work and getting to the gym. early august i moved and now im sleeping through all of my alarms!

How does the daylight in your room compare to your previous place? I've found that if I'm in a room that doesn't fill with sunlight in the morning I have a much harder time waking up, I will sleep forever if it's dark enough.

If there's not enough natural light you could get a timer to turn on your lights in the morning, or get one of those light alarms that simulates a sunrise.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Ay

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Verisimilidude posted:

After, 145 lbs

Nice, dude.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Kevin No Bacon.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Only 50 pounds? If it was more I guess he’d be bragging, but that guy was fat as hell before, and if he’d said 150lbs I would have believed him. I lost 40lbs this year, and while I look better, the difference isn’t as radical as that picture.

TalkingBasically
Aug 19, 2018
Call of Duty made me lose weight

420 pizza and call of duty made me lose 20 lbs 6 jobs 1 apartment and all of my love for the words "love" and "and"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Due to being incredibly pissed off and mildly inconvenienced between Thursday and yesterday, I ate everything. Today I went on the scale and had gained 1 kg.

How long does it take for fat to "materialize" anyway?

TalkingBasically
Aug 19, 2018

Jerry Cotton posted:

Due to being incredibly pissed off and mildly inconvenienced between Thursday and yesterday, I ate everything. Today I went on the scale and had gained 1 kg.

overnight. if you eat a whole apple pie at 4:20PM, you will not "show" fat until after you've slept.
skinny main like me know this from eating tons of pie whole

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TalkingBasically posted:

overnight. if you eat a whole apple pie at 4:20PM, you will not "show" fat until after you've slept.
skinny main like me know this from eating tons of pie whole

Well where the gently caress did my calories go then :confused: As a consumer I feel cheated. As an old fatty I feel relieved.

e: Wait are you a Grant Theft Auto San Andreas character or something?

ee: Huh, according to Oprah, it takes 4-8 hours for fat to start forming so it should definitely show overnight - and certainly after four days of megahampurilaiset and stacks of Jaffa Pihlaja.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 28, 2018

TalkingBasically
Aug 19, 2018

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well where the gently caress did my calories go then :confused: As a consumer I feel cheated. As an old fatty I feel relieved.

e: Wait are you a Grant Theft Auto San Andreas character or something?
I am like those kind of entities.
I feel the same way when I finish the last slice and do not automagically own the hot dog stand from the beginning of Oliver & Company
like your stomach and shoe tongues turn out at the same time i thought it would happen but it didn't

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TalkingBasically posted:

I am like those kind of entities.
I feel the same way when I finish the last slice and do not automagically own the hot dog stand from the beginning of Oliver & Company
like your stomach and shoe tongues turn out at the same time i thought it would happen but it didn't

I don't know if you're poetic or a Markov chain bot.

TalkingBasically
Aug 19, 2018

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't know if you're poetic or a Markov chain bot.

I know what being poetic is.
I don't know what a Markov chain bot is and I am not associated with robots

ontopic: if you know how to mix c4, you can mix metamucil in a shaker bottle for craving control and internal health

TalkingBasically fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Aug 28, 2018

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Jerry Cotton posted:

Go back to eating better and don't stress about it. 5 days of eating like poo poo isn't going to destroy your body or all of your progress. Letting 5 days become a routine again will.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Enfys posted:

Go back to eating better and don't stress about it. 5 days of eating like poo poo isn't going to destroy your body or all of your progress. Letting 5 days become a routine again will.

Oh yeah I already did that (apart from skipping breakfast due to waking up late), and I was more amazed than worried. The difference in how I feel after eating normal meals compared to how I feel after eating horrible Hesburger and a bunch of chocolate is a very good motivator for eating properly.

I think I have it easy in that - in addition to kebab, beer, and sweets - I like vegetables so I never really have to eat anything I dislike, just leave out some of the things I do like.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

That big jump isn't fat, it's partially-replenished glycogen stores.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

im down to 21st 10lbs so ive made a bit of progress since i last posted. I had a bit of a talk with someone who thinks i should go down to 1500 cals from 2k per day, i'd probably find this pretty rough but i understand ill want to get to that anyway once im a bit smaller.

Is this worth doing now ?

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Kullik posted:

im down to 21st 10lbs so ive made a bit of progress since i last posted. I had a bit of a talk with someone who thinks i should go down to 1500 cals from 2k per day, i'd probably find this pretty rough but i understand ill want to get to that anyway once im a bit smaller.

Is this worth doing now ?

No, try 1800 and eat less sugar and more veggies if you really wanna change something.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
skinny fat is extremely unnattractive so please lift some weights

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I "ran" to work today. Ran one and a half mile to the subway; took the train to Manhattan and got off from Grand Central; ran 2 mils to 16th street. Took about 80 minutes total, which is 20 minute slower than my fastest commute method (with an ebike, public transit or driving is slower, because NY road transportation is falling apart.)

After taking a quick shower, sitting at my desk quietly drinking tea and letting all kind of feel good hormone shooting in my body is the best part of running. The only down side of jogging to work is I can't bring my lunch.

I think I am going to make it a habit on Friday.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Good job manhattan runnerguy

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Collapsing Farts posted:

skinny fat is extremely unnattractive so please lift some weights

I disagree. No matter how much weight you lift, you may never be "attractive". Better idea: lift some weights for better health.

By extension of that, I would advise against losing weight to be more attractive; losing weight for better health is far superior. Whether it's weight, or clothes, or hair, or the car you drive, or how much money you make, some people will like you for who you are, and some people won't. You could lose 100 lbs and become horribly disfigured the next day; people may find you ugly, but you'll still be in better health. Being hung up on how others perceive your outward appearance is unhealthy.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you're not attractive it's because you haven't lifted enough weight yet

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

CheesyDog posted:

If you're not attractive it's because you haven't lifted enough weight yet

Some people are just ugly. :gonk:

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Hambulance posted:

Ugly people have to lift more

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

The Hambulance posted:

If youre ugly you should have a twice as hot body so lift twice as much weight

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Yeah one point the fat acceptance people say is "I shouldn't have to lose weight just to have people like me. I'm not magically a better or worse person just cause the scale says something different." That's true, you don't lose 20 pounds and turn into an angel or gain 20 pounds and turn into Super Hitler Voldemort, but sadly their answer to 'gently caress what people think' is to not lose weight. You should get healthy BECAUSE 'gently caress what people think'. You gotta do it for yourself. It's lovely that people will be nicer to you when you're thinner even though you're an identical person but you can't really control how others act. Just let them be them and worry about yourself.

When you hurt in random places cause you wake up in the morning, you're not sharing that experience with anyone, that's all you. When every little thing you want to do is extra hard because of your size, that's all you. Not losing weight to spite the haters is just hurting you in the end. So much of what you're going to have to go through in simple everyday life while being overweight you're going to be dealing with by your lonesome.

Losing weight based on others is a recipe for quitting eventually because of 2 reasons:

1. It can add an end goal. Like if you go "I want to be thin to find a boyfriend/girlfriend". Well once you do, boom, goal achieved, show over, the credits roll... but life keeps going on so you get fat again. There's no end to being healthy. It doesn't end when you get laid, it doesn't end when you get promoted at work, it doesn't end when you're the most fit person in the group of people you know, it ends when you die. That's why I hate "diets" cause they're about torturing yourself for X amount of time instead of learning to live healthy.

2. You don't ALWAYS care about what people think. Maybe you do some of the time, maybe even most of the time, but not ALWAYS. So when you reach that "I don't care what others think" phase you quit because you didn't care yourself.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Getting in shape will make you feel better and have more energy and you will be more pleasant to be around

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Blaise330 posted:

It's lovely that people will be nicer to you when you're thinner even though you're an identical person but you can't really control how others act. Just let them be them and worry about yourself.

Someone who takes responsibility for their own health instead of whining and making excuses is in a mentally and emotionally better place even if they're still struggling with actually shedding the pounds, and thus 'a different person' and automatically more likeable than if they weighed exactly the same but just got angry at the world on Tumblr a lot for not making airplane seats big enough to accommodate people of size.

The blame shifting and denial permeates every aspect of some people's lives, if you've ever lived/worked with a fatty like this you see it again and again, the lack of impulse control and inability to grow the gently caress up effects more than just their eating.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 31, 2018

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Wouldn't fat people treat fat people nicer and thin people treat thin people nicer?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

tino posted:

Wouldn't fat people treat fat people nicer and thin people treat thin people nicer?

Even the most dedicated 'fat activists' seem to mostly want to date fit people because there's nothing shameful about being obese and they deserve better than sex with some gross fat slob dammit.

Verisimilidude posted:

After, 145 lbs

Also this is seriously impressive, I wouldn't have believed 15 lbs could make that much difference. That's all the workouts showing, keep it up!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
You are objectively a better person if you're fit compared to if you're destroying yourself with fat

hope
this
helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Zzulu posted:

You are objectively a better person if you're fit compared to if you're destroying yourself with fat

hope
this
helps

What if you're destroying yourself with sports and strength training? Asking for myself