Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

pakman posted:

Oh. Also after 6 mo. of not playing, the endorsement system is dumb. It's just 150 free xp at the end of a match as opposed to actually telling someone they were a good sport or a good teammate. It's probably used to bm people, too.

Better than the card system imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the endorsement system isn't use to bm people. if they're mad at someone, they just specifically don't endorse them

it generally works to make the game less toxic

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah there's been a lot less general shittery. Still some, but less.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The endorsements work fine from my perspective. I make lots of calls and my ring is mostly orange. If I my teammates are good they get an endorsement. If I can't/shoudnt endorse all my teammates then I give them to a red team mber if there was a particularly troublesome opponent.

It's not a bad system and it's not making people be fake-nice.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

It's not a bad system and it's not making people be fake-nice.

Right? I also keep seeing this criticism all over the place.

I'd rather people be "fake nice" than be a whiny loving douche bag.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
My biggest complaint about the endorsement system now is the speed you drop levels is to high. I've yet to stay 4 rank for more than a few matches. You can't sit at it unless you get three or so endorsement every time and I'm sticking with the same players and they can't hand me anymore.

Still yet to see a five.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
so i bought a gaming computer after playing ow on ps4 for about a year

played some last night and its amazing that widow is actually a good pick now

is there a pc ow thread where I can play with goons?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Check the discord channel

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

pakman posted:

Oh. Also after 6 mo. of not playing, the endorsement system is dumb. It's just 150 free xp at the end of a match as opposed to actually telling someone they were a good sport or a good teammate. It's probably used to bm people, too.

The endorsement system is brilliant. Even though a lot of the endorsing is just noise or random whatever people feel like doing, People who behave accumulate it faster in general. This isn't the brilliant part though.

The fact that you lose a point from leaving a game or getting reported is what matters.

Want a game with no leavers? set the endorsement level to 2 or 3. There is no way they can keep that up if they leave more than 1/100 games. This also filters out people that get reported a lot. You can also just boot people from group when they have an endorsement level that doesn't make sense for their hours in game.

I'm a little worried that assholes will revenge or spite report people, but that shouldn't be enough of a problem to ruin the system.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I feel like the only people that complain about the endorsement system are the ones that were being lovely and don't want to stop being that way

World Famous W posted:

My biggest complaint about the endorsement system now is the speed you drop levels is to high. I've yet to stay 4 rank for more than a few matches. You can't sit at it unless you get three or so endorsement every time and I'm sticking with the same players and they can't hand me anymore.

Still yet to see a five.

honestly that's a good thing. you see a high number, you know they're actually earning it

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Oh, I know, I just want to be a four for more than four or five matches till the game goes "eh, you're just a three, like you always knew you were".

I have a fragile ego.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'm glad disconnects apparently have no effect on your endorsement level, you have to physically click "leave match" it seems. my wifi sucks kinda but dc's never cause my endo level to go down

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I saw a :five: exactly once, unfortunately I have no photo or video evidence

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Endorsements have made things better, and I strongly look forward to the day when they introduce special skins you can only buy by getting 5,000 endorsements, at which point niceness will go through the roof.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I'm glad disconnects apparently have no effect on your endorsement level, you have to physically click "leave match" it seems. my wifi sucks kinda but dc's never cause my endo level to go down

I honestly kind of wish it did. You should at least take the hit if you don't come back after DC. Otherwise, rage quitters would just unplug their connection.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you're the kind of person to get that mad at the game, I highly doubt you're getting endorsed much in the first place

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

headcase posted:

I honestly kind of wish it did. You should at least take the hit if you don't come back after DC. Otherwise, rage quitters would just unplug their connection.

It's probably a bug they'll fix in a few patches or so

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Rand Brittain posted:

Endorsements have made things better, and I strongly look forward to the day when they introduce special skins you can only buy by getting 5,000 endorsements, at which point niceness will go through the roof.

Now available for 5,000 endorsements:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I remember when Jeff was very anti-hero limits

they sure turned around on that

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he was also very against ctf and deathmatch but compromised by banishing them to the arcade

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yea, I've got to level 4 mostly by playing alot of games, not flaming at people for bad picks, and saying "gj team" when we do well.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I secretly want to rage at everyone when we lose but I don't anymore, I just fake nice my rear end off.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I just mute all chat and voice at the start every time i open the game.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Did we decide that fake nice is what we're calling being polite? I mute and hide everything because I get mad easy and don't share it with the world because that would rude.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

I secretly want to rage at everyone when we lose but I don't anymore, I just fake nice my rear end off.

So the system works?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I usually just endorse the healers and any teammate who seems to do a good job at killing or taking the point. Like the hanzo who got five kills to take a point is getting one.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i've mentioned it before but i don't endorse people because it disgusts me on a fundamental level that people should both expect and be rewarded with sparkly treats for simply being a decent human being

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Oh yeah I flat will not endorse anyone on a losing team.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also i guess it’s a moot point since i mute voice/text when i’m playing overwatch anyway

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i got D.Va 's black cat skin from a loot box and now i am basically full bore gothic lolita brawl tank mode. i forgot how god damned fun she is when you have competent healing

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

i've mentioned it before but i don't endorse people because it disgusts me on a fundamental level that people should both expect and be rewarded with sparkly treats for simply being a decent human being

gamers, as has been made abundantly clear, are on the whole not decent human beings

e: honestly I think the LFG system goes a much longer way to enhancing people's behavior than endorsements in my opinion. the real problem was that some players want games with more balanced team compositions, and a class-agnostic matchmaker cannot provide that by design. the existence of LFG gives those players that level of control that caused the anxiety/frustration/toxicity in the first place

kalel fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 27, 2018

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ShriekingMarxist posted:

i got D.Va 's black cat skin from a loot box and now i am basically full bore gothic lolita brawl tank mode. i forgot how god damned fun she is when you have competent healing

Same. DVA and Hammond are just really fun when you got a healer keeping them going.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I almost always play support or tank, and the other supports and tanks always get my endorsements, unless they were absolutely terrible or obviously trolling.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I always give my good boy/good girl points to shield tanks on either team. it's the hardest job and universally gets the least amount of credit and recognition

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah :same:

healer who i noticed healing me gets endorse, mercy who res'd my dumb rear end, etc.

then tanks

deepz can fight for scraps

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if bribing people is what it takes to keep them civil then it's better to do it than not to. there's just too many people in game at any one time to effectively police the game. automated systems aren't enough

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

ShriekingMarxist posted:

deepz can fight for scraps

Otherwise known as "sportsmanship".

Most of the time I don't even go that far, not enough people play support or tank as it is. Most DPS aren't even competent as it is.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
When does free weekend end so all the awful pubbies go away?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rirse posted:

When does free weekend end so all the awful pubbies go away?

i've heard so many people yell 'what the hell is this shield!?' when symm ults these past couple days lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Boogle posted:

Otherwise known as "sportsmanship".

This is so true. It's not fake nice. It's not even really politeness. You just don't lose your poo poo at a game. You grit your teeth and slap the other dude high five.