Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Look at me, I am dema :v:

The bike isn't as pretty as the Honda, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

breathtaking

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The scenery is nice, too!

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I took a bad picture of my bike with my glove partially over the lens but oh well. Was taken just past the Wisconsin/Illinois border:

Here's a picture of my dad's first bike, taken in 1972 I believe, just before he left for a trip from to Colorado with friends.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I posted about traveling through Pasubio Valley to Lago di Garda on SP46 before, but I just did another trip.
NExt time I'll take a DSLR and a drone and do some pre-planned poses on various curves.

Ride was alright.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 22, 2018

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Very nice!

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I want to go to there

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

captainOrbital posted:

I want to go to there

Just throw a PM at me if you are ever near Vicenza, Italy. I'd let a random goon borrow the other bike.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I crashed last week, I am ok, the bike though...

:smith:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

ElMaligno posted:

I crashed last week, I am ok, the bike though...

:smith:

Good job not dying.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-F800GS-Front-Wheel-F-800GS-2010/352376642650?hash=item520b48dc5a:g:4JIAAOSwvmNbHG-z

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What the hell did you hit? Glad you're ok.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Mine is a F700GS.

Slim Pickens posted:

What the hell did you hit? Glad you're ok.

I t-boned a minivan I did not see.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I was thinking that reminds me a lot of Como, then I checked the map and it's not too far, makes sense. Awesome scenery!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

ElMaligno posted:

Mine is a F700GS.

I t-boned a minivan I did not see.

Wish I had the skills to edit Look Out For Motorcycles sticker to include a minivan. Glad you're okay

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

MomJeans420 posted:

I was thinking that reminds me a lot of Como, then I checked the map and it's not too far, makes sense. Awesome scenery!

Como is definitely on the trip calendar!

Ridgewell
Apr 29, 2009

Ai tolja tahitta ferlip inbaul intada oh'l! Andatdohn meenis ferlip ineer oh'l!

Vahakyla posted:

Just throw a PM at me if you are ever near Vicenza, Italy. I'd let a random goon borrow the other bike.

I'm barging in here, sorry - but I'm from Austria and riding to Italy is high on my to-do list. Maybe next year! If you don't mind, I'll keep Vicenza on my target list and would PM you once I have concrete plans.

Of course you're always welcome to visit here, too.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Ridgewell posted:

I'm barging in here, sorry - but I'm from Austria and riding to Italy is high on my to-do list. Maybe next year! If you don't mind, I'll keep Vicenza on my target list and would PM you once I have concrete plans.

Of course you're always welcome to visit here, too.

No worries, PM me if ever near Vicenza and we'll go check out the road in Valli del Pasubio.

Ridgewell
Apr 29, 2009

Ai tolja tahitta ferlip inbaul intada oh'l! Andatdohn meenis ferlip ineer oh'l!

Vahakyla posted:

No worries, PM me if ever near Vicenza and we'll go check out the road in Valli del Pasubio.

Thanks! It looks lovely there and SP46 seems awesome.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Vahakyla posted:

I posted about traveling through Pasubio Valley to Lago di Garda on SP46 before, but I just did another trip.
NExt time I'll take a DSLR and a drone and do some pre-planned poses on various curves.

Ride was alright.

That scenery is ridiculously gorgeous.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 354 days!
i finally got a pic of the finished wrap that looks mostly true to life, if still a bit washed out. for some reason the color shift just barely shows on camera, but it seems to be clearer in darker rooms

it's very good. next job: fix the rear fender. it's not broken just ugly

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I used to be here in CA all the time, but I haven’t posted in a minute so I guess it’s fleet update time.

I got this 1997 DR350SE a couple of years ago in straight trade for a civic hatchback project I had. So far I’ve done: new Acerbis tank, front tire, brakes all around, chain and grips. Great workhorse bike for the dirt farm roads out here in Amish country. Shame I don’t have a better shot of it by itself. Roughly 21k miles on this puppy.

Then last year when trolling Craigslist out of boredom/ADD I came across a bike I’ve wanted since they were released. It’s a 2010 Sachs MadAss 125 and it’s hilarious. I go everywhere full throttle, it handles surprisingly well for what’s basically a hyper-stylized scooter, and it gets mega looks. Haven’t done anything to it of note yet but I have bar end mirrors waiting to go on. Current mileage is a whopping 480. It had like 50 miles when I bought it.

The newest addition is an 03 Buell Firebolt XB9R. Again I wasn’t looking for another bike specifically but this one came across locally on the Facebook marketplace and I’d been thinking about getting another Buell for years, since my last Lightning was destroyed by a 17-year-old on a cell phone (along with my pelvis). Bike came with the Buell Race ECM plus the stock one in a box, ECM cable, Buell Race Exhaust, some decent adjustable shorty levers, and freshly rebuilt forks. Additionally the guy gave me an extra set of wheels and plastics, a passenger seat and some other random poo poo in a box. It had these HIDs that were drawing massive voltage on cranking so I took the front end off and went back to halogens for the time being. Roughly 29k miles.

Everyone together

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
That Buell is dope. I almost went full stupid and picked up a thunderbolt instead of the vfr. Let me live vicariously through you.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Quite A Tool posted:

That Buell is dope. I almost went full stupid and picked up a thunderbolt instead of the vfr. Let me live vicariously through you.

I wasn’t sure I’d like the Firebolt as compared to the Lightning, since it has higher pegs and clip-ons, but it’s not nearly as scrunched up as the Japanese sportbikes I’ve ridden. I have to get used to the Buell handling again, after riding the DR and MadAss for so long but I am loving it so far.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

These look sweet. I am thinking of picking up a white lightning myself in a couple of years once I have a garage. How was it to ride and live with?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

pokie posted:

These look sweet. I am thinking of picking up a white lightning myself in a couple of years once I have a garage. How was it to ride and live with?

I honestly loved my Lightning. I had an XB12SS which is the “long”. Tractor-like torque and predictable handling, if not as nimble as the shorter wheelbase Buells. Easy to work on, reasonable aftermarket support, and at least around here they’re not too common so I always got compliments when I parked it somewhere. It’s also cool to see people react to it when you pull up on a sportbike and they’ve been hearing the V-twin “Harley” sound coming at them. I never had any issues with mine except for the teenager that one time. I’d probably still have it if it hadn’t been smashed to smithereens.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Carl, the fog, was out in force today.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nice Sachs.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Slavvy posted:

Nice Sachs.

Do you enjoy my Sachs?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I do, most of the ones I see are 50cc though. How fast will it go? Is it terrifying at high speeds?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Slavvy posted:

I do, most of the ones I see are 50cc though. How fast will it go? Is it terrifying at high speeds?

On a level road I can maintain 62 easily. On a downhill I’ve hit 71. Quoted top speed is 56 so it’s surprisingly quick for what it is. It’s actually not that sketchy going fast. Pitching it hard into a corner you feel the skinny tires squirm a little but it’s a ton of fun.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Nah, singles are bad. 90 degree v-twins are best and NT650 is close behind with a 45 degree v-twin.

52 degrees :spergin:

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum
This weekend I rode out to the burbs & visited the only dealer in the area with a big backlog of Versys 650s. They had a bunch of brand new 2016 models going for just over $6k. But they also had a lightly used 2016 LT version with 4k miles on it for a slightly less. So I pulled the trigger and got rid of my Moto Guzzi V7 II and am now riding this orange jet ski lookin' thing. I can't say I'm in love with the way it looks. But it's a pleasure to ride. Basically everything is better. The brakes, suspension, throttle, power, etc are all light years ahead. The seat is ultra comfortable and I love being able to tuck my legs behind the fairings. The hard cases are nice too but I've got them off for now.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Fender posted:

This weekend I rode out to the burbs & visited the only dealer in the area with a big backlog of Versys 650s. They had a bunch of brand new 2016 models going for just over $6k. But they also had a lightly used 2016 LT version with 4k miles on it for a slightly less. So I pulled the trigger and got rid of my Moto Guzzi V7 II and am now riding this orange jet ski lookin' thing. I can't say I'm in love with the way it looks. But it's a pleasure to ride. Basically everything is better. The brakes, suspension, throttle, power, etc are all light years ahead. The seat is ultra comfortable and I love being able to tuck my legs behind the fairings. The hard cases are nice too but I've got them off for now.

Wow, that's a big change in style of bike. Glad to hear you are enjoying it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fender posted:

Congrats, hope you enjoy your first day here at Functioning Vehicles LLC.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

52 degrees :spergin:

Is it really? Not sure how I feel about it now. 52 doesn’t divide evenly into 90.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Is it really? Not sure how I feel about it now. 52 doesn’t divide evenly into 90.

Just think of it as a Harley that's not quite so Harley.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

Just think of it as a Harley that's not quite so Harley.

Less Blyap and more Braap.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fender posted:

Nice! The chassis and suspension on those bikes are fantastic!

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Nice! The chassis and suspension on those bikes are fantastic!

Yeah my girlfriend just got one of those as her first bike and we went on a 5500km trip to Norway, me on my 701SM and her on the Versys. Confidence inspiring and easy to use enough to have a new rider enjoy riding day in, day out, and throw it through the curves really surprisingly quickly as well. Also did fine on some dirt/gravel roads; only issue we had was that at some point the rear brake pads were just gone, maybe the floating caliper had been sticking due to all the rain/dust.

I enjoy the Versys more than the MT07, the Boring Engine is more than made up for by the better suspension imo. Really my only complaint is that in some ways it's a bit crude/heavy, like maybe it's got some KLR genes in there, but I guess that translates to dependability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Does anyone have ridden the Versys300? I see them collecting dust in showrooms and expect to see the price drop significantly next year. Too bad there is never a demo bike available. But it feels like a bicycle, when side by side with 650