Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean having a bad tv original episode for charity doesn't mean this is going to be the new Naruto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I mean having a bad tv original episode for charity doesn't mean this is going to be the new Naruto.

Well, to a degree it is the new Naruto.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Sakurazuka posted:

If the bit after the big Sasuke fight but before Shippuden started wasn't 40 episodes it sure felt like it.

It was. Eighty. Five. loving. Episodes.
https://www.animefillerlist.com/shows/naruto

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

thetoughestbean posted:

I thought the episode was pretty fun. I bet that Deku was way off the mark, but Midnight went with it because it was fun.

I like to think that the only scoring metrics were "secured the scene" and "discovered that the villain's motivation for apparent suicide was linked to one of the hostages."

The details beyond that were not scored, so he got it "right."

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Average Bear posted:

gently caress the filler is so bad compared to the stuff written by the author with talent lol. And it really shows when they fall back on the usual anime tropes. Why are Japanese animation companies such hacks

deku just figures out the entire mystery by himself without any clues and barely any investigation it was really lame and boring

still better than nothing tho its all good i guess

babypolis fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 27, 2018

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
My Hero Academia, takes on the new formula of working in seasons instead of being an ongoing thing.
Which is why it's pacing has been pretty on point and they don't need to rely on longer filler arcs.
Just a few expanded scenes and the occasional fan favorite episode.

So there really is no need to fear this becoming the next Naruto/Bleach when it comes to filler hell.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BizarroAzrael posted:

Well, to a degree it is the new Naruto.
Wouldn't that be more Black Clover's thing?

Jorenko posted:

Holy molly, thank goodness I bailed on the Naruto anime. That's longer than FMA: Brotherhood. :catstare:

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

babypolis posted:

deku just figures out the entire mystery by himself without any clues and barely any investigation it was really lame and boring

still better than nothing tho its all good i guess

If they had gotten a perfect score off his deductions then it would have been lame and boring. They failed. Not only did they fail but they got a zero score meaning that the only metric that actually mattered was securing the villain/scene. There probably would have been points off for putting the hostages in harms way and crap like that but it was an automatic failure not to secure the villain. Something they all needed to learn in the controlled environment of school as opposed to out in the world where the unsecured villain may have killed someone while making their escape

Which is what makes it a great episode imo. It highlights what Best Jeanist did and why he did it in the Kamino episode when he secured AfO immediately when AfO entered the scene. Also contrasts well with Mt Lady not understanding why he did that and questioning his actions since Best Jeanist went to UA while Mt Lady did not. As Aizawa says to Joke during the provisional exam "I'm afraid our school is looking slightly more ahead then the others."

Sure, it's just filler and I'm probably reading way too much into it. Still unlike all the BS filler that Naruto had that made me want to cut myself this at least had some potential depth and character development.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Yeah, I thought it was fun that Dekulock Holmes spends all this time and effort unraveling the whole convoluted plot and then the villain just runs off. "Good job figuring that all out, suckerrrrrrs!"

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

More importantly, we got more All Might notification sounds.

An email is here!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
While the Yaoyorozu/Shoji/Jirou/Froppy episode was the worst of the three filler episodes so far, I like, at least, that it gave some attention to characters who haven't gotten much spotlight so far, Froppy notwithstanding. Last episode it was really obvious they just did "the central characters plus Froppy, cause she's the most popular secondary character," but no one on the team really had to be there for the plot to work except Deku and Bakugo. Kinda wish they'd gone with a couple kids who haven't been in the spotlight much like Koda and Sato, but that's nitpicking.

(Though I'm a filthy anime-only watcher while the creators of the anime have the benefit of knowing what characters are going to have representation in the future, so for all I know Koda and Sato might be central characters next arc and my argument is invalid)

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

This episode kicked me in the mouth and stole my lunch money and I’m furious

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My take on the episode is that Midnight went along with Deku's wild theories because it is the type of thing that she loves when in reality he was going deep into literal AU territory.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It was about love because that is what the event in Japan was about.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The moral of the story is that love is a lie.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Surely one of them must have noticed someone as big as All Might getting up and running out the door though

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

They were too engrossed by the tragic love story and also all staring directly at midnight, with their backs to all might

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

All Might is a fast dude and has the power of offscreen teleportation

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

It was a fun episode. Too many people expecting United States of Smash 2 in a fillersode.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Okay I found THE reason for this episode,

https://twitter.com/saincisco/status/1033832087755927552

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Jorenko posted:

And this is why I don't mind 1 or 2 bad episodes.

I think I prefer the MHA format to that one, thanks a lot.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The content of the episode doesn't bother me, but timing it for the middle of an entire different sequence does. The other filler episodes have slotted into places where they at least feel natural.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Like has been said before, it would have been a week off had they not done the episode, so it still would have been a break in the action.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The teachers absolutely winged it with Deku's nonsense romance angle, it was a fun improv game for them - the test had nothing to do with why the villain was lying "dead" on the ground, the test was what are you gonna do about it and they failed.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Deified Data posted:

The teachers absolutely winged it with Deku's nonsense romance angle, it was a fun improv game for them - the test had nothing to do with why the villain was lying "dead" on the ground, the test was what are you gonna do about it and they failed.

Keep in mind a valid option was simply to turn over the crime scene to the police who were right there.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Onmi posted:

Keep in mind a valid option was simply to turn over the crime scene to the police who were right there.

Yeah, the optimal solution seemed like it'd be to secure the scene, ensure the hostages were safe, then bring in the cops do deal with the rest. You're not an investigator, you're a punchcop/search-and-rescue agent.

e: though, admittedly, determining whether an accomplice was among the hostages would fall under securing the scene. Still, in that case, it would be easier to just restrain and keep eyes on them all, then bring in the boys.

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 29, 2018

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Other thing they screwed up was having Tenya searching the rest of the building alone with the door to the back office area closed. Someone should have went with him and/or stayed near the door to render assistance if there was an accomplice.

Basically they were sloppy and didn't take the scenario as seriously as was warranted for a hostage situation with an unknown number of assailants.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
A friend of mine has told me this greatly resembles a classic police training scenario, in which the correct answer is to ignore all the backstory and investigation and determining guilt and just handcuff everyone and secure the scene, then figure stuff out after you can confirm everyone is safe.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

And now I want an Ace Attorney game in which you're the one Quirkless lawyer. Occasionally, your opposition secretly disrupts the court proceedings or alters the crime scene with unlicensed quirks.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
That episode was really cute. Right up until they revealed what the test was really about, I thought Deku had managed to guess the real story mainly because if Present Mic was basically playing himself, it stood to reason that Midnight would have a backstory like that. She definitely has a wall of her home that's just romance novels.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

fool_of_sound posted:

A friend of mine has told me this greatly resembles a classic police training scenario, in which the correct answer is to ignore all the backstory and investigation and determining guilt and just handcuff everyone and secure the scene, then figure stuff out after you can confirm everyone is safe.

This would be correct.

Most (U.S.) law enforcement is trained to handcuff everyone at the scene whenever possible, (even if a person is supposedly dead), because it makes things a lot easier to secure the scene and move on to the actual investigation.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Adult Bakugo confirmed by Horikoshi himself

https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/1035530189604700160

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Gang Orca is so cool.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Kinda wish they just did a shot-for-shot recreation of the original panel

But yeah Gang Orca is the dopest

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Inasa is a big dumb idiot

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Good episode, but the whole time I was wondering where the hell Bakugo was. He was actually rescuing people?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Tokelau All Star posted:

Good episode, but the whole time I was wondering where the hell Bakugo was. He was actually rescuing people?

Walking those two people home with his pals. The ones they weren't supposed to pay much attention to because they weren't badly hurt.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Tokelau All Star posted:

He was bitching up a storm while his friends tried to rescue people. Which was why I think that was him they showed failing in that scene where the coordinator’s monitor was shown about 5 minutes into the episode.

Was a different pair then earlier. They showed kirishima and kaminari holding him back from basically attacking 2 other HUC victims.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

:pwn: @ announcing the results of 100 people on a 7x13 grid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Next episode preview, loving hype.