Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
This argument will never end, only the luxury good or service changes.

Rolex's aren't BWM if you can afford them. "Afford" meaning "not financed, not sacrificing some other area of cash savings, etc."

BWM means people being stupid with money in general. Doesn't have to be something unnecessary like a Rolex to be a stupid use of money.

Thread always goes off on tangents on how dumb the actual item is, but the real dumb part is (in this case) the 25 year old financing a loving 15k watch. Substitute Rolex for just about any other item and it's still dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Financing is fine as long as your terms are beneficial. But your point is probably "don't buy anything you couldn't buy cash" which is solid advice for nonHouse items

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Ixian posted:

This argument will never end, only the luxury good or service changes.

Rolex's aren't BWM if you can afford them. "Afford" meaning "not financed, not sacrificing some other area of cash savings, etc."

BWM means people being stupid with money in general. Doesn't have to be something unnecessary like a Rolex to be a stupid use of money.

Thread always goes off on tangents on how dumb the actual item is, but the real dumb part is (in this case) the 25 year old financing a loving 15k watch. Substitute Rolex for just about any other item and it's still dumb.

Is buying a Rolex really not BWM? Is there a liquid easy used market for it? Sorry for my ignorance.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
His point is that nothing is BWM if you have Enough Money

Which isn't really true but it does help the BWM thread get out of its usual spiral of LUXURY ITEM DETECTED BEEP BOOP ECONOMIC INEFFICIENCY MUST BE DESTROY

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Something Offal posted:

Is buying a Rolex really not BWM? Is there a liquid easy used market for it? Sorry for my ignorance.

Yes you can easily buy and sell Rolexes. Caveat Emptor there are a lot of very high-quality fakes out there that would be impossible for a non-professional to identify.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

His point is that nothing is BWM if you have Enough Money

Which isn't really true but it does help the BWM thread get out of its usual spiral of LUXURY ITEM DETECTED BEEP BOOP ECONOMIC INEFFICIENCY MUST BE DESTROY

Exactly. Even if you have money to the point where (for example) 15k doesn't mean anything, a Rolex might still be considered an unnecessary waste of it compared to other things you could do with that money, but it's not really BWM. DWM (dumb with money) maybe.

I know that is splitting hairs but to GoGoGadgetChris's point it causes the thread to spiral.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What do you spend your money on then?!

Gotcha covered.

https://bit.ly/2NshZNi

Alas, I couldn't find anything.

Less comedic answer: I live in America. I spend it on health insurance and medical bills. :suicide:

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Sundae posted:

An untapped market!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
arent there jockey specific watches
that jockeys dont actually wear cuz weight

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Sundae posted:

Gotcha covered.

https://bit.ly/2NshZNi

Less comedic answer: I live in America. I spend it on health insurance and medical bills. :suicide:

I'll take a Stag Heuer please.

Just don't put the Cartier in front of the horse please.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Just don't put the Cartier in front of the horse please.

God, I love hate you.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Do we really need to get in to horse puns again? I say neigh.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
NO thread, NO! Pull up! Get stable!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Financing is fine as long as your terms are beneficial. But your point is probably "don't buy anything you couldn't buy cash" which is solid advice for nonHouse items

Why not houses too?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Moneyball posted:

Agreed. Rein it in, folks.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

big_ass_horse_picture.jpg

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hoodwinker posted:

big_ass_horse_picture.jpg

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Subjunctive posted:

Why not houses too?

My opinion is a product of my specific circumstances, but borrowing money at 3.5% allowed me to keep 80% of my money in a stock market that increased at twice that rate, and allowed me to buy in at a price that would double in only 7 years.

When cheap money is available for an appreciating asset, it behooves you to take advantage of it

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Why not houses too?

I was about to say "because they cost too much, duh!" but can you imagine the downward pricing pressure that all cash purchases would put on the housing market?

Either you end up with a dystopian Pottersville hellscape with everyone renting from slumlords and Jimmy Stewart jumping off bridges or home/property prices are half what they are today.

I'm going to guess it turns out bad and we should continue to finance our homes over multiple decades.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Horseshoes. Barely nice ones.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Moneyball posted:

Giddy-up, here we go again!

I know it can be pretty trough to come up with original puns, but I oat to think we can beat this dead horse a little more.

Trot your best ones out.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My opinion is a product of my specific circumstances, but borrowing money at 3.5% allowed me to keep 80% of my money in a stock market that increased at twice that rate, and allowed me to buy in at a price that would double in only 7 years.

:thermidor:

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Chris stop posting about yourself

E: my friend thinks it’s a good idea to look into buying a house for “0% down, or as close as possible” because they have 0 debt, good credit, and are tied of renting. They work part time in the food service industry and have $2,000 to their name. I’m trying to stop this.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Bro, please, you don't have to kill yourself just because I had a bit of luck in the housing market!

zelah posted:

Dude I was literally answering Subjunctive's question

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

zelah posted:

E: my friend thinks it’s a good idea to look into buying a house for “0% down, or as close as possible” because they have 0 debt, good credit, and are tied of renting. They work part time in the food service industry and have $2,000 to their name. I’m trying to stop this.

Not a good idea if you have very marginal income and assets to support a house purchase. However to tie this conversation back into comments above, if you are have a lot of income and assets relative to the price of the home you wish to own and can finance 100% or near 100% on favorable terms then it is very possibly good with money to do so.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Whoa thread, WHOA! Pull back! Get stable!

FTFY

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
"Can you live in it" should be a significant determiner in whether you should finance large purchases. So no to a Rolex, no to a horse, yes to houses, and a big maybe to a van.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

A general question doesn't always require a specific personal answer.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Bro, please, you don't have to kill yourself just because I had a bit of luck in the housing market!

I don't think it was a personal question

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Krispy Wafer posted:

"Can you live in it" should be a significant determiner in whether you should finance large purchases. So no to a Rolex, no to a horse, yes to houses, and a big maybe to a van.

What about a houseboat?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

What about a houseboat?

Always a houseboat.

Houseboats are superior to regular houses because you have twice as many ways to commit insurance fraud.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Krispy Wafer posted:

A general question doesn't always require a specific personal answer.

Senor Dog posted:

I don't think it was a personal question

Imbecilic and laughable posts. On what planet does someone asking your opinion not justify a personal answer?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Imbecilic and laughable posts.

:goonsay:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Seriously though shut up

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Imbecilic and laughable posts.

If you hit the question mark under your avatar again you'll stop seeing just your posts.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Post content!!

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9aqnr3/my_grandma_needs_me_to_take_out_a_20000_loan_for/?st=jlct02es&sh=b17883aa

My grandma needs me to take out a $20,000 loan for her so she can move

quote:

I'm 25, college grad, and I just started my job back in June. I live at home still and making about $37,000 a year after taxes (I live in Boston).

My grandma is horrible with her money and needs to move out her house (with my grandpa) because she remortageed her house after going backrupt years ago and now can't afford it. Last week I gave her $1600 so that she can stay another few weeks and lastnight she asked for a bigger loan.

She's asked my mom already but my mom already loaned $10,000 from the back to give to her a couple years ago. This really set my mom back because she was planning on buying a house (with a loan). Now my grandma wants me to do the same for her. I don't have money saved (just a few grand in my checkings) but I want to move out the house sometime next year. I also have about $48,000 in student loans.

I know nothing about loans but my grandma wants me to take the loan out and have it in her name. That way money will never come out my account. Should I do it? If I don't my grandparents will have to move in with us for a few weeks. I'm not sure what the risks are besides her not paying the loan and the bank coming after me. She would like the loan to be 3 years. Thanks for any input/advice.

edit: for clarity - she would like me to apply for a loan at the credit union where she opened an account for me when I was younger. she also get's about $5000/month from retirement. you're probably wondering what her expenses are and IDK them all but I know she pays for everyones car insurance (my sister has a 13 honda, mom has 13 tsx, I have 08 altima, grandma has 13 rogue ($600/month car note). she's pretty careless with her money. there's no reason why she needs an SUV when she doesnt have kids plus it's $600 she could be saving if she had an older car.

edit2: my grandma is very unique. she raised my mom by herself until she got married when my mom was like 10. my mom had me and my sister when she was 17. since then my grandma has sort of taken on the role of mom for me and my sister and also my mom (why we're all on her car insurance). my grandma feels like she HAS to help us given we're all good people (my sister just got her masters, my mom grew up to make something of herself despite having kids young, I went to college).

up until last summer we were all on her phone bill! it has nothing to do with mooching off of her (trust me if I knew how bad her finances were I wouldn't be on her insurance). my mom got me my car but then put it under my grandma's insurance. I think the next steps (after telling her no) would be to start looking for my own car insurance. I would also like to move out next year. where do I start research for insurance and how to save to move out? I'm not sure how much money I should have saved before moving out. if my car is almost done being paid off should I keep it or sell it before it needs some costly maintenance work?

Seems they came to their senses

quote:

edit3: I AM NOT GOING THROUGH WITH IT. if I was going to do it I wouldn't have come on here asking for advice just to get poo poo on lol. thanks for the input though you guys make me feel better about saying no! I'm pretty responsible with my money and I plan on doing so (I want to put myself in position to move out soon).

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Imbecilic and laughable posts. On what planet does someone asking your opinion not justify a personal answer?

(P. Barnes voice): It's against the rules.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Generally, no one minds when people self-post if it's about something funny or interesting. No one wants to hear about your mortgage unless it's funding funkopops or artisinal horse smoothies.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Dear lord, how is "my ____ wants me to take the loan out and have it in their name" so common in these posts? Have any of you been asked this by family? I seriously can't even imagine it.

Big fan of this bit, too:

quote:

I'm not sure what the risks are besides her not paying the loan and the bank coming after me.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm not sure what the risks are besides her not paying the loan and the bank coming after me.

To be fair, that is an accurate representation of the risks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Dear lord, how is "my ____ wants me to take the loan out and have it in their name" so common in these posts? Have any of you been asked this by family? I seriously can't even imagine it.

I mean, it's also the thing with car loans, although in that case I get the impression the auto dealers are actively pushing people to do this (e.g. co-sign for an auto loan representing 30-50%% of their kids' income, which their kids would in no way qualify for on their own).