Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Gun Jam posted:

Semi - relevant question about Kenji (and not Edward, I might add) - had he been in a serious relationship before, or he's our token virgin for the gang?
(I feel like that sentence fails English somehow)

I dunno if he's literally a virgin or not, Ice keeps that stuff off-screen, but he hasn't ever had a serious romantic relationship with someone before. He's dated plenty of rich girls, but as contacts and leverage, not because he actually liked them. The closest thing he's probably ever had is his relationship with Octo but that feels a lot more Platonic. So he knows how to go on a date or two, say all the right things, be charming, and get whatever information or favor he's after, but maintaining a prolonged relationship with someone he's actually interested in is uncharted territory and it would be hilarious to see Mr. Smooth desperately stumble through it like he's 14.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Help. My heart. I'm dying.

Attempt to recruit her. Not voting regarding whether we're going on the run or not yet until that's settled. Glad to hear it's just a milk run though, boy I sure am glad to have one of those. :v:

Butt Discussin posted:

Killing them is morally and practically worse than humiliating and disgracing them.

Also this.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
You jerks are forgetting my about poor Julie in a mental institution. We had a spark with her first, we don’t just go play with the new plush toy like a spoiled house dog.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
My heart... it hurts. Oh god it hurts. Goddamn you Ice.

For a regular shadowrunner, Saanvi's self-destructive streak and inner nihilism is the perfect combination. But not so much in a girlfriend, especially one who Dog has approved. So do we fix her or recruit her? I firmly believe in romancing the girl.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

So do two dog shamans that are in each other's pack eventually end up with a convergent pack that's almost the exact same?

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Groetgaffel posted:

https://i.imgur.com/Pfc3Y5j.gifv
We didn't become a dog shaman by being selfish, and Dog wouldn't have shown us that vision if he wanted us to stay away.

I don't think we should just blindly do whatever Dog thinks is cool either though. Kenji is free to do what he likes, and I think he deserves some selfishness. The reasons for getting involved with Saanvi were already pretty flimsy (she seemed cool); Kenji has loads of other stuff to juggle, and I'm hesitant about getting further involved with Joyce's world at the moment.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Gun Jam posted:

Semi - relevant question about Kenji (and not Edward, I might add) - had he been in a serious relationship before, or he's our token virgin for the gang?

I'm going to pass on the token part. I will say that in the broad sense, losing one's virginity isn't particularly difficult. When I was young, I put a ton of emphasis on wanting to get laid, but when I did I found it to be...Well it was fun, and it was with a cool person that I liked, but there was nothing lifechanging about it. I didn't magically turn into an adult. I view this part of the question as largely unimportant.

I will say that he was definitely raised in a place where it was readily available. Poor men sell their violence. Poor women sell their sex. And if you don't believe in that then you've never truly been poor. Especially in a place like the ACHE were I imagine survival sex is common. Clever's parties where he holds court are basically a time where anything goes so long as he approves. That's when Kenji had his fun, but those parties were fleeting and so was Kenji. I guess I'm dating myself, but I'm remembering that Tom Petty song "Mary Jane's Last Dance". And one of the lyrics goes like this. "Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cuz I can't stay long." Kenji is largely unused to experiencing anything long term or even stable in life. Him going to school for the first time was his first long term exposure to stability. His life was an endless series of violent encounters and afterparties.

Coming from a background where I wrote about sex and romance for years, I can definitively say that sex is oversold. Romance as a genre is the highest selling genre of fiction in the United States and it's often overlooked by men because it's written primarily by women for women. What makes it exciting for people beyond mere attraction and biological urge is caring about someone for some reason. Though it's mired in its own tropes and bullshit, it is fundamentally about connecting people together with feelings. Sex is there, but romance existed for a long time as a genre without it.

What I will say definitively is that Kenji has never been in a relationship. In the ACHE when he was surrounded by his peers he would drink to excess and black out, where he'd come back to being Edward. This means zero chance of relationship because he'd only be about for a day or two. Then he goes to Blake Island. He's starts as a person with a malformed, manipulative personality. Fuzzy is gay and pairs off with Sasha. Julie pairs off with Marco. So the dating world isn't shut to him. Instead of seeking anything fulfilling, he fulfills Edward's commands and that is no way to form a relationship. Kenji goes into the dating scene and finds out that he's more of an amusement for the rich girls, but to him in that time it was okay because he was looking for money and favors, not love. So even if some rich girl did deign to date him, it wouldn't last and would be rendered toxic. Kenji is an attractive toy for the rich and has established for himself a reputation as such, because that's what served his purposes at the time.

Now he's different. The thread has been pushing him away from selfish concerns and so I'm writing him as someone who is far less selfish. The problem is that he still has that reputation on Blake Island. He's fun to flirt with, he learned how to change his face and hair to "impress girls" and generally isn't seen as doing much with his life. Fuzzy and Julie have been standing out and achieving. Kenji has done everything he can not to stand out. He has a certain type of reputation attracts a certain type of person, especially in small communities. No one who'd want a serious relationship with him would approach him due to his reputation. Also I imagine the daughter of some corporate noble is off limits, but their sons can do whatever. The standards for men and women have changed, but I imagine they haven't changed that much in conservative places.

The only exception to this is Julie who is considered "poor" even though she has her own doctor's office. She's gotten better, but she's still a pariah. People haven't forgotten that she killed her father. It was self-defense, sure, but no one bothered correcting the story in book one when given the option. I also bet that some people might have literally sided with Minuet right up until the moment she was cast down and "how dare those poors do that to her"? That sort of poo poo. Just because none of the girls would want to seriously date Kenji doesn't mean the meanest among them wouldn't mercilessly bully Julie again if he rejected their casual use of him to seriously date someone so far beneath them. His choice would reflect on everyone he has previously been used by. The vanity of shallow people would injure one of his closest friends and I'll say that he's aware of this. To him, Julie is currently off limits despite mutual attraction. This may change in the future.

Sexual politics, even without sex, are incredibly messy. In a large community he could get away with it. In a small community there is judgement.

So that leads us to where Kenji is now. He has no relationship beyond normal friendship, his business relationships and his pack relationship with Min Yun. He's a talented young person that came from a horribly broken place, and his ability to deal with it despite how he was shaped is pretty remarkable. His time in the ACHE gave him no stability. He was infatuated with Min Yun, but would disappear from her life consistently, she's dating his cousin and is about six years older than him. Then he goes onto Blake Island. There's no room for even an immature relationship because his programming literally propelled him to exploit everyone, and when he did the absolute minimum in order to work around it he would come off as bizarre, like charging Fuzzy a single nuyen to help her in book four.

For almost all of Kenji's life he has been defined by violence, manipulation and instability. The most stable place in his life was a small drug manufacturing and distribution house. Even when he got a stable home at Blake Island he managed to leave violence largely at home, but he brought his manipulation and instability with him. So I look at all of that and ask myself if he ever had a meaningful relationship, the answer is no. He barely developed friends.

He's pretty defenseless in some ways. The most fragile character out of the main three. A real relationship is just now within his grasp and he realizes that he can be motivated to care about people that aren't his pack. He looks at this damaged, hopeless person and he sees himself. He's overwhelmed with empathy and doesn't know how to handle it. I'm going to say that Dog isn't some omnipotent, vast, super intelligent being. Dog is about dog stuff and Kenji is getting involved for reasons that he doesn't fully grasp yet. This is going to be fun because it'll set something up that I've wanted to do for a while.

Saanvi is a person he wants to help, but while the method that he uses may not be healthy, I think the way that he'll try to help will have a good chance of succeeding. He's not going to sweep Saanvi off her feet and swing from the rafters Errol Flynn style where Robin Hood saves Maid Marion. Instead I see him helping her realize that she can help herself. Not a sweeping of the feet, but a leg up to stand on her own.

Crazycryodude posted:

I dunno if he's literally a virgin or not, Ice keeps that stuff off-screen, but he hasn't ever had a serious romantic relationship with someone before. He's dated plenty of rich girls, but as contacts and leverage, not because he actually liked them. The closest thing he's probably ever had is his relationship with Octo but that feels a lot more Platonic. So he knows how to go on a date or two, say all the right things, be charming, and get whatever information or favor he's after, but maintaining a prolonged relationship with someone he's actually interested in is uncharted territory and it would be hilarious to see Mr. Smooth desperately stumble through it like he's 14.

Yeah. Kenji has practical experience with casual dating. He can be charming and witty, but I feel like the moment he catches feelings it's going to be a comedy of errors. He's barely learned how to make friends, much less learn how to be in a functional, healthy relationship with someone. It's made worse by the fact that he has no frame of reference for what he's feeling and that the feelings are at the strongest they've probably ever going to be. These feelings are going to be terrifying.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

So do two dog shamans that are in each other's pack eventually end up with a convergent pack that's almost the exact same?

I've actually been thinking about that. I'm not sure. I imagine that the packs wouldn't converge. What Kenji values as pack and what Min Yun values as pack would be different. There may be some crossover though.

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

You jerks are forgetting my about poor Julie in a mental institution. We had a spark with her first, we don’t just go play with the new plush toy like a spoiled house dog.

You can rest assured that I have not forgotten. Oh boy, have I not forgotten. We're going to meet up with Julie in just another update or two and see how she's doing.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

My heart... it hurts. Oh god it hurts. Goddamn you Ice.

GimmickMan posted:

Help. My heart. I'm dying.

I'm pretty unsubtle when it comes to feelings sometimes. Not everything is delicate and subtle.

--

Let's look at the votes.

Recruitment is a solid leader. So that's what Kenji is going to do.

Romance right now wasn't very high. Saanvi is pretty damaged. I did see people open to the idea, but they're not into how emotionless she is right now. Kenji isn't going to date her at the moment, but he's not going to permanently seal that off either. We'll see how she does.

Also, as cyberpunk is 80's as gently caress, him getting a perm seems like it's fitting.

I'm viewing this as an audition run, which is pretty common for first time runners. I'll roll dice and see how it goes and what she takes from it.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 31, 2018

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Chatrapati posted:

I don't think we should just blindly do whatever Dog thinks is cool either though. Kenji is free to do what he likes, and I think he deserves some selfishness. The reasons for getting involved with Saanvi were already pretty flimsy (she seemed cool); Kenji has loads of other stuff to juggle, and I'm hesitant about getting further involved with Joyce's world at the moment.

Okay, yeah, I didn't catch what you said before I posted. It's definitely super flimsy. Kenji has no idea why he's reaching out to this person beyond Dog showing him a vision. Kenji doesn't understand why he's doing what he's doing. He's going to follow up on that.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Ice Phisherman posted:

He was infatuated with Min Yun, but would disappear from her life consistently, she's dating his cousin and is younger than him.
I thought it was the other way around?
I seem to recall her making remarks about how he's too young for her. And also she was present and capable of casting a heal spell when Clever first took Kenji in as just a small boy.

E: I think Kenji should let Saanvi know that he's interested in long term dating, but he want to get to know her better first.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 26, 2018

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Yeah I thought Min Yun was already an established Runner by the time Kenji came around.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Yeah I thought Min Yun was already an established Runner by the time Kenji came around.

Yeah, sorry. Min Yun was established and Kenji would disappear back into his moms' apartment for weeks/months when he became Edward.

My time line is that Min Yun is the third person Kenji ever met. She healed him and that infatuation basically blossomed from that point. It's very much a doomed crush. Everyone should have a doomed crush in their life.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Pissing off, disgracing, whatever an abuser doesn't stop them from abusing. It's not some magical thing that makes them shuffle of by themselves and leave everyone alone, forever (Oh, sorry, sorry, I'll just go shall I). Walking away from an abuser and cutting them out of your life successfully is great- for you. People who abuse others unconsciously seek out other people to hurt, whether that's emotionally, physically, or sexually.

Right now we deal with this by trying to get lesser offenders to realize that they have a problem and to seek help, which is great. Major offenders get locked away which is bad because they get to keep abusing people who you may feel do or do not deserve it, but at least they're not out here hurting us, right?

The Patel's aren't going to seek help.
The Patel's aren't going to face "justice", if legal justice is even acheivable in this setting.

Can't hurt someone if you're dead.

Doesn't have to be some revenge torture fest. Just a simple "On behalf of metahumanity, we're revoking your membership". Then you hit 'em with the tranquillizer overdose and they just go to sleep. Like an animal.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.

RickVoid posted:

Pissing off, disgracing, whatever an abuser doesn't stop them from abusing. It's not some magical thing that makes them shuffle of by themselves and leave everyone alone, forever (Oh, sorry, sorry, I'll just go shall I). Walking away from an abuser and cutting them out of your life successfully is great- for you. People who abuse others unconsciously seek out other people to hurt, whether that's emotionally, physically, or sexually.

Right now we deal with this by trying to get lesser offenders to realize that they have a problem and to seek help, which is great. Major offenders get locked away which is bad because they get to keep abusing people who you may feel do or do not deserve it, but at least they're not out here hurting us, right?

The Patel's aren't going to face "justice", if legal justice is even acheivable in this setting.

Doesn't have to be some revenge torture fest. Just a simple "On behalf of metahumanity, we're revoking your membership". Then you hit 'em with the tranquillizer overdose and they just go to sleep. Like an animal.

That's a loving horrible idea all around.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeahhhhh attempting (and possibly failing) to murder some Tir nobility just because they're dicks really doesn't seem like the best course of action to say the least. Putting them under a guillotine along with all their friends while overthrowing the Tir government would own, but I somehow doubt that this game's heading that direction.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Thanks.
I might have focused too much on the physical aspect, but I do think it that his previous love life in general matter here - if he's willing to date, not now but maybe later, and okay with casual sex ; Could see him be any of them, depends on his past.
And in this case, "maybe later".

Also, "Recruitment" - is it a mere offering the job, or also trying to get her to take it?

RickVoid posted:

In other news, razor stock have risen by 3.14%.
Ignoring the moral aspect of the question, killing people (with rank, and connections to the gov), without a pretext to make it anything other than a personal assassination is a very good way to get heat on us.
We're small time - we don't have the ability to avoid or survive retribution ; and it will come, with us murdering civilians.

Also, girl tell you she got problem with her parents - "let's kill 'em!" - suuuuuure.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeahhhhh attempting (and possibly failing) to murder some Tir nobility just because they're dicks really doesn't seem like the best course of action to say the least. Putting them under a guillotine along with all their friends while overthrowing the Tir government would own, but I somehow doubt that this game's heading that direction.

Maybe file that under "long-term goals".

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Maybe file that under "long-term goals".

Or just not. Murdering parents because they're emotionally abusive to their kid is psychotic.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

RickVoid posted:

Disgracing them removes their power to interfere, which comes primarily from their position in Tir society. Killing them puts us at odds with Tir society. If you must kill them, at least disgrace them first so that we don't put too much of a target on our back.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

jagadaishio posted:

Or just not. Murdering parents because they're emotionally abusive to their kid is psychotic.

I meant "reform Tir" and I wasn't being wholly serious, surprisingly.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

jagadaishio posted:

I wanna murder them because they're fascist hereditary nobility, at the same time we murder all the other fascist hereditary nobility, not a random personal assasination because they were mean to my waifu. Also, joking.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Some editing stuff. Sorry I didn't include the original text. Realized when I was finishing up it might have made finding things easier. Bolded stuff is new/changed.

Ice Phisherman posted:

A woman reared back and gave him kick after kick.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Then he remembered he didn't have a sister, and he felt a sudden loss at that feeling.

Ice Phisherman posted:

I’ve only known that I’m a Dog shaman for less than a week."

This bit of dialogue doesn't seem to flow from the previous bit. She sounds like she's responding to a statement about Dog, but Kenji is just talking about being a Dog shaman.

Ice Phisherman posted:

“Like a magic spirit?” she asked.

Ice Phisherman posted:

From what he could see of her side profile, it was as if that hopelessness had deepened.

Ice Phisherman posted:

"There’s nothing wrong with being friends,” he said, fiercely, “In me, you’ll find a loyal friend.”

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 26, 2018

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Crazycryodude posted:

I wanna murder them because they're fascist hereditary nobility, at the same time we murder all the other fascist hereditary nobility, not a random personal assasination because they were mean to my waifu.

Get the guillotines! Vive la révolution!

Crazycryodude posted:

Also, joking.

aww.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

It's only a "joke" where liberals can hear :ssh:

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

jagadaishio posted:

Psychotic is, as psychotic does, mama and papa brought the retribution down on themselves. Death is definitely at the one end of extremes but drat I'd sleep better knowing they're dead.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Definitely agree that the most important thing is that she needs to be allowed to choose to run the shadows. Lack of agency is a big part of what's destroying her, so let's give her a chance to have some rather than being the latest in a long list of people to deny it.

Going to guess that Dog likes her partly because she resonates really strongly with his "loyal to pack" thing, partly because her betrayal by those who should be pack would piss him off, and partly to prove a point to Dolphin about how pretending everything is fine is a terrible way to go about your life.

As a side note, I'd imagine that part of why Dog has so many shamans, and a major influence on his nature, is that he should be closer to human than pretty much any of the other greater spirits, since dogs literally didn't exist until humans helped create them.

Also, going to guess that part of what looms in Joyce and Krupa's future is that his family's holdings are going to be overrun by California when the Californians inevitably go to war against weakened post-Hestaby Tir. And since those holdings are in marginal land well away from the important parts of the Tir, they'll almost certainly be given to California in the peace deal in lieu of something of actual value to the high nobility. Once Joyce stops being a noble due to lack of land, or at least becomes an impoverished low-status one, the Patels are going to break that engagement so fast the notice will give off Cherenkov radiation. And then Krupa (and Joyce) are going to have some unpleasant choices to make, albeit ones that may be slightly simpler if her sister is in the UCAS.

Might also be worth it to see if it's possible to introduce Saanvi to Olisha, who I expect would be more than happy to help arrange for a defection from the Tir. They might even get along on a personal level, although I expect Saanvi is a bit more honestly punk than Olisha is, seeing as how I doubt any actually subversive music is allowed to chart by the megacorps.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Olisha is definitely an interesting avenue to consider for getting Saavni out of her predicament.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Olisha's a terrible avenue to consider. She'll use Saanvi as ammunition to hurt Krupa and Joyce and then discard her when she's served her purpose. I like CalFree better than we fascists, but literally the only person she's nice to is Kenji, and that's because he's a convenient boytoy.

Olisha's a good avenue only when we have an offer that mutually benefits her, because that's the part she actually cares about.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
In this case it's at least partly to find a way to handle being around Joyce and Krupa that won't piss Olisha off and thus trash our relationship with our art contact.

And who knows, maybe it would be good for Olisha to see the effects of fascism on a personal level, rather than her current hatred of it out of teenage rebellion and national pride. Give her a wakeup call as to what it looks like IRL, and a personal reason to fight it.

Might be worth it to try and find a way to make Joyce and Krupa more aware of the cost of their lifestyles and how they're just unthinkingly perpetuating a system that goes out of its way to be terrible to almost everyone in it. Try to make it a controlled demolition of their current identities, as it were, and maybe a better chance that they rebuild themselves as better people rather than worse ones. Because when the Tir implodes under combined internal and external pressure, their current lives will become untenable.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

It's mostly just an awful idea. It's going to turn any attempt at a clean break for Saanvi into a family-detonating crisis as Olisha metaphorically stabs Krupa and twists the blade to watch Joyce cry. Olisha's a business contact, not a friend or even an ally.

Worst of all, it could blow Kenji's cover, as he risks getting associated publicly with shady things, and will definitely, without a doubt, get caught in the social crossfire.

Involving Olisha in anything involving Saanvi, Krupa, or Tir Tairngire in any way is like throwing a bucket of gasoline on a fire having mistaken it for water.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
You know with Krupa and Joyce's contacts maybe we should introduce them Oli's artwork.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Yeah I think Kenji just got a big taste of ‘Why You Should Personally The Fash’ but he doesn’t do direct confrontation. He won’t introduce anyone to Olisha because Olisha is a dramabomb at best. He will, however, cultivate this friendship because it’s the first one where he has chosen to provide something of value on his own without Edward’s rules.
There’s no reason the Tir aristocracy can’t become a source of art contacts though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

For art made by a poor human girl raised by an ork?

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Xarbala posted:

There's an Ork Prince in Tir Tairngire. They're elf-supremacists as a whole, but orksploitation creates markets everywhere, if you've got that 'straight out of the Underground' authenticity. Tir Tairngire is more racist in the Japanese 'we want to import your culture but filthy non-Japanese people stay out' kind of way than anything.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Xarbala posted:

It's 'authentic'. The art world has commoditisation of intangibles down to a science and the fact that you might stand in opposition of everything that the artist represents isn't going to stop some rich rear end in a top hat wanting one on his wall if that's what's fashionable.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

The rules for getting knocked down and standing up from knockdown are in completely different sections. The idea that placement of certain rules and information in the book aren't attributable to 5e's atrocious editing is ridiculous.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Ice Phisherman posted:

I'm not supposed to tell you I was listening in, but like I said, it's paranoia time for Tir. Well, more than usual, anyway.”

Yeah, in hindsight we should have realized that conversation with Joyce wasn’t private.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Trust me, no one approves of me. It's cool. It's been fun to pretend for a while, but you don't have to anymore. Maybe I could take you out to eat or you could take someone else out and I’ll pay. Maybe get you some new clothes or something. I’ll do whatever you want and I'm up for whatever. Stick around and I'll try to make it worth it."

Oh. Boy.

This is difficult for me to read, and not for the reason you think. My primary perspective on these issues have neem on the male side; its jarring and very disturbing to see how this possibly plays out on with the other gender.

So, Ice, ummm, thanks?

Ice Phisherman posted:

“All right,” she whispered, “Sure. Whatever you want.”

It’ll be alright dear, Doggie Promise.

Kenny plans the run against Human Nation, and, does not include Saanvi.

I’m offering the dissenting opinion not just to be contrarian; I think it’s ultimately the best way to befriend and ‘deprogram’ Saanvi.

We want to prove to Saanvi that we want to be her friend, no strings attached. We want to prove to her that she’s worthy of love and respect as a person. We want to show her that all the pain and suffering she suffered for his sister is noticed and appreciated.

Which to me means we don’t even give off the suspicion of wanting anything more from her than her humanity (elf-manity?). Not her money, not her sex, and certainly not her skillset.

Maybe in time, once we’ve established a friendly relationship, and she asks for our help again in an ‘extraction’, we can lay those options out for her.

Until then, its letters and omelets and bao.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

CourValant posted:

Yeah, in hindsight we should have realized that conversation with Joyce wasn’t private.

Oh. Boy.

This is difficult for me to read, and not for the reason you think. My primary perspective on these issues have neem on the male side; its jarring and very disturbing to see how this possibly plays out on with the other gender.

So, Ice, ummm, thanks?

It’ll be alright dear, Doggie Promise.

Kenny plans the run against Human Nation, and, does not include Saanvi.

I’m offering the dissenting opinion not just to be contrarian; I think it’s ultimately the best way to befriend and ‘deprogram’ Saanvi.

We want to prove to Saanvi that we want to be her friend, no strings attached. We want to prove to her that she’s worthy of love and respect as a person. We want to show her that all the pain and suffering she suffered for his sister is noticed and appreciated.

Which to me means we don’t even give off the suspicion of wanting anything more from her than her humanity (elf-manity?). Not her money, not her sex, and certainly not her skillset.

Maybe in time, once we’ve established a friendly relationship, and she asks for our help again in an ‘extraction’, we can lay those options out for her.

Until then, its letters and omelets and bao.

The best way to approach it may be to say to Saanvi, "I am not asking for your help with this run, but I wanted to give you the opportunity or choice to get more involved if you want. Our interests may coincide here."

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Yeah, I think that participating in this run is the best thing for her as far as breaking her out of her learned helplessness is concerned, and giving her back a sense of agency, but that it's a fine line to keep from actually pressuring her to do it.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Butt Discussin posted:

The best way to approach it may be to say to Saanvi, "I am not asking for your help with this run, but I wanted to give you the opportunity or choice to get more involved if you want. Our interests may coincide here."

jagadaishio posted:

Yeah, I think that participating in this run is the best thing for her as far as breaking her out of her learned helplessness is concerned, and giving her back a sense of agency, but that it's a fine line to keep from actually pressuring her to do it.

We have an accord.

I'm on-board with including Saanvi if its what she wants; she already knows we're planning a hit on HN (she scrubbed those texts herself from the Tir dragnet), and, she did express her pleasure in how we're messing with human supremacists.

As long as she truly understands it as 'her choice', and not just another form of 'payout'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
As military for Tir, it's a poor idea to put her in that position. If she fucks up or if something goes wrong, it could be terrible for her sister and for Joyce.