Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

signalnoise posted:

No game can be “overrated” because that means you think too many people think something is good, which isn’t a criticism of the game but of the society the game is released in, and therefore isn’t a reflection of the game or its qualities.

Saying something is “overrated” is shorthand for “I don’t like a popular thing” and that is literally the only information that statement is capable of providing.

okay thank you professor but doesn't that just mean that games can be overrated because that's just a form of opinion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm biased against Bioware because my most middlebrow friend, a guy who takes TED talks seriously and reads sci fi novels and no real books, eats that poo poo up and loves all Bioware stuff. I don't think he ever has good taste in anything.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

signalnoise posted:

Saying something is “overrated” is shorthand for “I don’t like a popular thing” and that is literally the only information that statement is capable of providing.

Everyone stop saying you don't like a popular thing in the unpopular videogame opinions thread

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

I'm biased against Bioware because my most middlebrow friend, a guy who takes TED talks seriously and reads sci fi novels and no real books, eats that poo poo up and loves all Bioware stuff. I don't think he ever has good taste in anything.

your friend sounds loving cool

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

TheScott2K posted:

Everyone stop saying you don't like a popular thing in the unpopular videogame opinions thread

im pretty sure that dude has posted that pedantic screed like three times now and it's been just as dumb every time so idk what they're trying to accomplish

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

signalnoise you don't understand vernacular, we get it, no need to keep trying to convince us

e: wow signalnoise was actually riffing on something dumb bust rodd said, my bad

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 27, 2018

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

40-Degree Day posted:

your friend sounds loving cool

He is, when you're Easily Amused you can just cruise through life not giving a poo poo about anything

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

signalnoise posted:

No game can be “overrated” because that means you think too many people think something is good, which isn’t a criticism of the game but of the society the game is released in, and therefore isn’t a reflection of the game or its qualities.

See, I don't think that's the case. Popular things can be bad and/or lackluster. Popularity isn't the same thing as quality, and vice versa.

I mean "overrated" isn't a particularly useful word anyway because it can mean a wide range of things, including:
- "This thing that I otherwise liked ended up disappointing me because it didn't meet the expectations I had built up by reading other people's opinions."
- "I didn't like this thing that it seems most people like." (basically the meaning you're ascribing it)
- "This thing is good and didn't disappoint me but I think the praise it receives is hyperbolic."

And probably a few other things, too.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ok, I get that this is a 270 page thread and not everyone will read all of it. But the post the guy quoted JUST got itself laughed into oblivion, guys.

I miss having manuals to read, but I dont miss needing to read the manual.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I think saying something is "overrated" is a valid criticism.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

FoolyCharged posted:

Ok, I get that this is a 270 page thread and not everyone will read all of it. But the post the guy quoted JUST got itself laughed into oblivion, guys.

I miss having manuals to read, but I dont miss needing to read the manual.

Same, but these days they really aren't necessary since games will mostly tutorial your head off in game. What I do appreciate is a good art book or similar.
A good example is The Signal From Tolva. It came with a 50 page book containing no info on the gameplay and just interesting lore and fluff.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Remember when you'd buy a flight sim and it would come with a mini textbook on the principles of air combat?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

food court bailiff posted:

signalnoise you don't understand vernacular, we get it, no need to keep trying to convince us

e: wow signalnoise was actually riffing on something dumb bust rodd said, my bad

It's great

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I miss RPG's that come with fold out paper maps

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
more games should be like goldeneye 007 and have cheat codes you can only unlock via ridiculous speedruns

like you couldnt get invincibility unless that doctor guy spawned in the right 1 of 3 rooms, and you basically had no idea if he was there or not until like the end of the run

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

get that OUT of my face posted:

donkey kong country 3 is underrated. it does some things much better than the two games that came before it, and a lot of the one-off level gimmicks are done well. it gets poo poo on for the end of the game being hard as gently caress, and that's fair, but it's good overall

I agree but you can't deny that kiddy kong sucks and that's probably why it doesn't get as much love as the others.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I wonder how many people don't know kiddy kong can bounce on water.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

I agree but you can't deny that kiddy kong sucks and that's probably why it doesn't get as much love as the others.

he's exactly the same as DK and people don't complain about that in DKC1

i agree that people poo poo needlessly on DKC3. in the end though they are 3 exceptional games.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Speaking as someone who only owned DKC3 and just rented the other two, DKC3 gets so much hate due to Kiddy Kong looking like a toddler and the level design not being up to snuff. Still a good game though, hardly the "DMC2 of the series".

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

If DKC3 had used Funky Kong instead of Kiddie Kong people would put it in a pedestal right next to 2.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Roses are red

Grass is green

The best DDR song

Is Trip Machine

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

I miss the Goldbox engine RPGs in general.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i thought i had egg on my face there but thank god for harrow rushing in to argue against a position you didn't actually hold

why can't I get some dungeon crawls on my phone? like old wizardry stuff. there's a bad port of wizardry labyrinth of lost souls but that game is poorly translated weeaboo trash

i think dkc: tropical freeze is better than dkc 1 and 3

Phantasium posted:

I wonder how many people don't know kiddy kong can bounce on water.

what

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's the reason why there's more levels involving water, he can do bounces if you roll onto the top of water and hit, I think, jump right as you hit the surface.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Okay, hold on to your seats for this one: I hate all DKC games. In fact, I hate all Rare games.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Even Perfect Dark?!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Shibawanko posted:

Cloth maps or gtfo

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Witcher 3 has a fold out map

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

R.C. Pro-Am is Rare's true masterpiece.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Sardonik posted:

Roses are red

Grass is green

The best DDR song

Is Trip Machine

Sorry it's Kind Lady or one of the other funky songs

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

1redflag posted:

Even Perfect Dark?!

Oh my god. That's the worst one.

Sorry everybody.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

signalnoise posted:

Sorry it's Kind Lady or one of the other funky songs

Close but it's no Spin the Disc.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

Oh my god. That's the worst one.

Sorry everybody.

I enjoyed the Perfect Dark 360 game, because it had a lot of cool options in multi-player. As far as I know, I am the only person on earth that that doesn't hate that game.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVM3pEMubUU

Like, when I look at any random position in this video, my skin crawls. It just looks so janky, I hate the way you don't just move your crosshair but move your gun in that weird reticle, I hate the cheap sound effect for when you pick up a gun or ammo, aiming at enemies looks like such a pain. I guess it looks impressive for the N64 but uugh gently caress playing that

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

wow hot take: old games look bad compared to modern games

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It's not the way it looks, it's the way it feels. The N64 was not meant to have an FPS on it with those lovely buttons.

And I hated that game when I first played it when it came out. I just couldn't stand it, same with Goldeneye and pretty much all Rare games I ever played.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 27, 2018

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Star Control 2 Is the best space game ever made, If you disagree I will come to your house and look all angry like at your mailbox and hurt its feelings.

ED: If you are really mean I will call your mailbox a bitch and then hide in some shrubs. I dont like conflict.

Applesnots fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 27, 2018

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

It's not the way it looks, it's the way it feels.

Never play Kingpin for PC then. You might have a seizure.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Applesnots posted:

Star Control 2 Is the best space game ever made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

Shibawanko posted:

It's not the way it looks, it's the way it feels. The N64 was not meant to have an FPS on it with those lovely buttons.

And I hated that game when I first played it when it came out. I just couldn't stand it, same with Goldeneye and pretty much all Rare games I ever played.

lol you used the joystick to move