Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Infinite's battle themes are legit really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYu3Hhixoa0

Honestly, Infinite is so absurdly over the top edgy that it just loops around to hilarious parody and I can't even hate him. Seriously, his origin story is that Shadow kicked his rear end in less than 5 seconds flat and it made him have a tantrum.

It's kind of a pity that scene isn't available in Theater mode as it's one of the funniest cutscenes in the game ("I AM NOT WEAK!!").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I wonder sometimes at the longterm impact of Sonic 06. It is a straight up dumpster fire and there's no rationalizing that away, but it has put so many eyeballs on Sonic in the last decade.

If someone makes a video that makes you hurt yourself laughing so hard at Sonic 06, and brings you genuine joy, do you actually look at Sonic in a negative light for it? And if you argue that yes, it actually has had a net positive impact, you definitely can't argue Forces will have that impact. Forces is never going to provoke that powerful a reaction.

Also yeah Shadow is cool.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sonic 06 made me remember that corporations can and will release unfinished games that will forever exist as an example in a textbook.

Sonic Forces made me remember what it was like being 12 with a Sonic OC, fighting alongside my best buddy Sonic the Hedgehog, against Sephiroth the Hedgehog with his do-anything Infinity Stone.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I liked making my own character in Sonic Forces but they weren't even fun to play as, which was unfortunate. she was a cool gothy punk bird lady who became progressively more anime

started out kinda like this

and ended up being like an anime sky knight with a scarf and sunglasses and stuff

but the game just wasnt super great unfortunately. i hope they bring this character creation stuff back in another, better game, in the future

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Augus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhas85hd5Ow
Huh
I mean, it certainly looks better

This demo has me questioning what the folks who made this were thinking when they kept some of '06's extremely questionable game design. Why didn't they try to streamline Crisis City's level design a little? Why do you still have to hold down the jump button and release it to get some airtime with the snowboard? Why do you need to hold a button and jump to switch rails instead of letting you use shoulder buttons? Why do the Iblis worms still have an HP bar?

Have they seriously not learned anything from '06?

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Infinite's battle themes are legit really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYu3Hhixoa0

Honestly, Infinite is so absurdly over the top edgy that it just loops around to hilarious parody and I can't even hate him. Seriously, his origin story is that Shadow kicked his rear end in less than 5 seconds flat and it made him have a tantrum.

I like to think that if the OC was a representation of fans who just wanna have a good time with their buddy Sonic, then Infinite is a parody of fans who take the whole Sonic OC thing too seriously. He has an edgy backstory and design, previously unheard of powers, can defeat Sonic and his friends effortlessly, and he doesn't want to make friends with other people. We also find out he started out as a regular OC but then threw a tantrum after someone made fun of their OC being weak.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

amigolupus posted:

This demo has me questioning what the folks who made this were thinking when they kept some of '06's extremely questionable game design. Why didn't they try to streamline Crisis City's level design a little? Why do you still have to hold down the jump button and release it to get some airtime with the snowboard? Why do you need to hold a button and jump to switch rails instead of letting you use shoulder buttons? Why do the Iblis worms still have an HP bar?

From a 2017 interview

quote:

Will the port have any adjustments, fixes, or tweaks, or will you strive for a complete 1:1 port?

My idea was to start the project as a 1:1 port, and then along the way once we got established begin with fixes and tweaks to the gameplay mechanics.

My impression from this interview is that he's only trying to do minimal changes to the game. He says himself that the game is flawed beyond the glitches, and I don't think he's trying to exactly fix everything in the inherently bad design, just some of the super obvious errors like the unobtainable rings in that Crisis city segment. Things that don't change how bad the game's base design is.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I think one of the main flaws of both Forces and 06 is that it doesn't manage player time well, although Forces does it more consistently. All the levels in Forces are super short and literally only exist to show off a single setpiece and then it's back to menu. The recycled visuals is how anyone can remember how the game looks because it all goes by so fast. And then you have the Classic Sonic levels who are not very fun to play and take a lot of time.
06 has it's loading times but the playtime is sometimes painfully short, as obvious in the intro missions.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I legit had way more fun with Forces than 06. I actually tried to beat alot of the speed run challenge times or whatever they had in-game. The momentum was awful, and classic Sonic felt way too heavy. But it wasn't the worst thing I've ever played.

I played 06 back when I only had that, and 2 other games while waiting for MGS4 to come out. So I played it to completion a while before it became A Thing™. It was annoying, and alot of it didn't make sense to me in terms of level designs and stuff. But it also wasn't the worst thing in the world. I'd still rather play Forces if I had to do either.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

sonic 06 is a party game

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
If people are modding the game does that mean they ever figured out what caused the insane load times? I swear it's worse than any other game that came out that gen.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

amigolupus posted:

Anyone making a pc port of sonic loving 2006 has to at least like the game for what it is already, so it makes sense to be that they aren't really trying to change it up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
One of Infinite's biggest issues was that his final battle was exactly the same as the boss before him Metal Sonic. (Whose Level made no sense and was the only to break boss convention.)

Also his last boss theme is not very good and does not match the previous boss themes he had.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'd say if you want to sort out Sonic 06 it makes sense to port it 1:1 as is, with the bugs and so on fixed, then you have the clearest view of what's actually there and what you'd need to do to make it good.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

mycot posted:

If people are modding the game does that mean they ever figured out what caused the insane load times? I swear it's worse than any other game that came out that gen.

This is essentially the way it worked, as I understand it:

When you start the game, you load into the hub city. If you triggered a cutscene in the hub city, it would dump everything and reload the entire hub city, along with everything in it, like NPCs, triggers, and warp points. At the end of the cutscene, the game would once again dump everything and reload it all. It did this with every single area you loaded into, without fail.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
drat that Infinite Battle 2 intro is amazing

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Amppelix posted:

Anyone making a pc port of sonic loving 2006 has to at least like the game for what it is already, so it makes sense to be that they aren't really trying to change it up.

Again, from the interview, he actually didn't play it till several years of working on the project. Part of the reason he wanted to get on it is that it was one of the few sonic games he couldn't experience on PC in some way.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Sea Lily posted:

I liked making my own character in Sonic Forces but they weren't even fun to play as, which was unfortunate. she was a cool gothy punk bird lady who became progressively more anime

started out kinda like this

and ended up being like an anime sky knight with a scarf and sunglasses and stuff

but the game just wasnt super great unfortunately. i hope they bring this character creation stuff back in another, better game, in the future

As awful as Forces was, the music and the ridiculous combos with the character editor almost salvage it. I made Steve Urkel the Hedgehog, a Crow Mime, and multiple MMX Mavericks.

If they could make a new Generations game with the godawful 2D sections replaced with more Original the Character stages Sega might win my money again.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Ventana posted:

Again, from the interview, he actually didn't play it till several years of working on the project. Part of the reason he wanted to get on it is that it was one of the few sonic games he couldn't experience on PC in some way.

What a odd life this man has been leading

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ROFL Octopus posted:

sonic 06 is a party game

No, no, no. Secret Rings was the one from around then with the party mode. Easy mistake to make. :downs:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Too bad only a third of the levels even let you use your sonicsona

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Screaming Idiot posted:

I've always thought 3D Mario was flawed from inception and the only real way to make a good one would be to start from scratch with a team that has never seen or played a 3D Mario game that could influence them. The reason I say this stems from two interviews I think explain exactly why Sonic and Mario had such divergent quality going 3D. The guys who made Sonic Adventure said their main goal was to make Sonic stylish and fast that people would want to play around with him even in an empty field. People to this day love to just screw around on the world map because the underlying philosophy of the game is so good. On the flip side the guys who made Mario 64 builds explained they were so bad that people couldn't even land on enemies. Instead of going back and making Mario fun to control though, they added a "punch spam" button because it was hard to just land on enemies without getting damaged. When the only way to make your game playable is to base it around an attack-spam button in a series based on platforming, you need to start over. This has corrupted the whole franchises forays into 3D from day one since every entry is still working off Mario 64 and it's terrible ideas.

I CAN DO IT TOO

Red text is accurate

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/LEFTDISC/status/1035933552796422146

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

...how exactly does he intend to pull the trigger while wearing boxing gloves?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Nostalgamus posted:

Dear Knuckles,

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
DELETED

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nostalgamus posted:

Don't judge Knuckles.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVpYdDKDl8Q&t=91s

When's Sega gonna make something like this?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

I was on the fence until I got to the part where Sonic bugs out and dies to an obnoxious spike ball obstacle and gets stuck in a endless loop of death and rebirth. It is a true Sega game.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Have you not seen all their output from 1999-2006? Wasn't that enough for you?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Why do you want more? Have we not suffered enough?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I meant more as a general concept, you have the All-Star Racing games and the new racing game that's coming, but I think a more polished on-foot racing game could be great, and I love All-Stars Racing Transformed. Despite the bugs that fangame is pretty fun though, hope they continue updating it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Anybody see this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hdc-Ooyb5w

Pretty as hell, hopefully they can keep polishing it up.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Anybody see this one?

The hand-drawn area was neat, the 2nd level was less polished. And I'm not sure that we needed "Knuckles Chaotix but worse in every way" yet here we are. They even managed to somehow drop half the instrumentation from one of the better songs in the game.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Dissappointed this isn't a Sonic Battle Remake, tbh.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Anybody see this one?

While the tutorial level is very cute style-wise, Sonic's base poses for running and several other actions look very awkward and don't really look good. It looks like proper hand-drawn animation, which is great when people want to keep that style of 2D-animation alive, but it's not a recipe to be auto-good.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
If we're linking SAGE stuff now, I really thought the Sonic Advance revamped stuff was cool. Larger screen space to see better, and new characters like Blaze (who is close to her Rush-style gameplay) make it fresh enough that I'd want to go through the game again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Mg2QqkVe6c

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I agree it doesn't look amazing to play, but I'm a sucker for hand drawn animation I am.

Remastering or porting older games is probably one is the more constructive things the community could be doing, but there's way too much screen estate there - pulling it in to match the widescreen Genesis remasters would work best.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 5, 2018

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The main issue with Sonic Advance Remastered is that it still SOUNDS like loving dogshit

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Ventana posted:

While the tutorial level is very cute style-wise, Sonic's base poses for running and several other actions look very awkward and don't really look good. It looks like proper hand-drawn animation, which is great when people want to keep that style of 2D-animation alive, but it's not a recipe to be auto-good.

Sonic's head extending two extra feet when he's running looks okay when he's moving fast and you're trying to exaggerate the motion, not when he's barely creeping up a hill.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

DoctorWhat posted:

The main issue with Sonic Advance Remastered is that it still SOUNDS like loving dogshit

The sonic advance games have great music and I won't hear otherwise :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean it's good music but it's filtered through lovely GBA audio quality and it doesn't seem like the fangame's correcting that so far