Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

I'm in the market for a new monitor, preferably 1440p that is good for both gaming and photo editing. I've been looking at both the Acer Predator XB271HU and ASUS PG279Q, would these be ok for photo editing in terms of color accuracy? Are there any other options I should check out such as a Dell? I know these are two of the preferred 1440p/144+hz ips monitors out there and I'm just a hobbyist at photography, but if I'm gonna drop >$500 I'd like to know people's opinions on color!

MelancholyMark fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Aug 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

nnnotime posted:

Any news on when the overkilled 65" g-sync monitors will be out on the market?

the launch was postponed again to next year (source)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Retroblique posted:

Does anyone use a Tobii Eye Tracker with an Acer G257HU (or similar) monitor? The reason I ask is that they're supposed to be mounted to the lower part of the bezel, but the G257HU has a weird sort of geometrically shaped bezel that's not completely flat, as seen here:

The tracker is 335mm long. There's probably about 150mm of usable flat space in the center of the bezel. I'm assuming it will still be secure, just that the ends will stick out a bit, but wondered if anyone had direct experience.

I mounted mine with 3M Dual Lock. That will lower the bar by about 1/4 inch and let it clear the curve under the monitor.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
wtf are these Nvidia TVs:

https://twitter.com/ComputerBase/status/1032901711428505600

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

Zero VGS posted:

I mounted mine with 3M Dual Lock. That will lower the bar by about 1/4 inch and let it clear the curve under the monitor.
Good idea, I'll check that out -- thanks!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The BenQ GW2765HT is $300 and while it's an older model it's a good monitor, 1440p and good for both text and gaming.

Thanks! Are you in every SH/SC thread? :swoon:

The GW2765HT sounds great, I'm fine with old models as long as they fit the bill. But Amazon seems to prefer the GL2706PQ which has a cheaper price and a slightly more modern look. What's the downside to this one? I don't know how to cut through the marketing gibberish and compare the two.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/big-format-gaming-displays/

65" 120Hz 4K G-Sync HDR displays with nVidia Shield set-top boxes built in.

They're intended to be basically the ultimate TV for the living room PC gamer. If you don't have a PC in your living room it'd probably be a better bang for the buck to just get a good 4K HDR TV and add a Shield to your setup because the G-Sync support will be going to waste.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

So my 1080ti is on the fritz, so I switched to my backup rx580 in and boy does it suck. It’s loud as hell, draws as much power as the 1080ti and the performance is garbage on at 3440x1440. 40fps with no g-sync feels awful, there’s tearing and I literally can’t shoot as fast in some games. I ordered a cable for my laptop because the 1060 in there with g-sync will probably be so much better.

For those of you naysayers, g-sync makes a real noticeable difference. Once you have it, you won’t want to go back.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Unsinkabear posted:

Thanks! Are you in every SH/SC thread? :swoon:

The GW2765HT sounds great, I'm fine with old models as long as they fit the bill. But Amazon seems to prefer the GL2706PQ which has a cheaper price and a slightly more modern look. What's the downside to this one? I don't know how to cut through the marketing gibberish and compare the two.

That other one is a TN screen, you can tell by the 1ms response time, TN screens are lower quality than the IPS panel used in the monitor I recommended, they have lower contrast, worse color and very narrow viewing angles, if you have ever seen a cheap laptop where the screen color shifts and whites out when looked at anything other than head on that is because it has a TN screen. TN can be worth it if you can't afford an IPS screen and you know the TN panel used is of very high quality but in this case I would definitely recommend going for the IPS one since it's still within your budget and only slightly more expensive.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Potential S2716DG alternative.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

That uses the same panel as the original S716DG and the Asus PG278QR. It has an extremely matte anti-glare coating. I would just go for the Dell instead as it has a much better anti-glare coating. The screen looks so much sharper.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
My question is this:

What monitors are you gamers using and how do you have it set up? I stay away from AMD so G-sync would probably be the way to go for me.

I have been using a Sharp 70" TV for the last ~5 years playing on a couch for my PC gaming with my G19 across my lap and my mouse ont he leather cushion to the side.

I'm thinking about switching to a desk set up again so wondering what people are running these days.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

TipsyMcStagger posted:

My question is this:

What monitors are you gamers using and how do you have it set up? I stay away from AMD so G-sync would probably be the way to go for me.

I have been using a Sharp 70" TV for the last ~5 years playing on a couch for my PC gaming with my G19 across my lap and my mouse ont he leather cushion to the side.

I'm thinking about switching to a desk set up again so wondering what people are running these days.

I use an Acer XB271HU, it's very good. I would say the budget options are the Dell TN monitors with G-sync, next up are the IPS ones like mine, there are a number of options there, after that you get to the IPS ultrawide screens, there are VA screens too but you should avoid them since they have issues with slow pixel transitions leading to smearing and blurring during fast action.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I just got the S716DGR and it's absolutely wonderful. I tried a bunch of monitors, both IPS and TN and this was by far my favorite out of everything I tried. Great colors (to me), excellent response time, no ghosting, beautifully small bezel. I like it way more than the 144hz IPS displays that I tried. It doesn't have any backlight bleed and the blacks look very uniform.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

eames posted:

The price on that thing is going to be ridiculous. That and 2080 ti would be 😱 to a wallet.

I am happy with my 4k HDR oled thank you.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

eames posted:

Thanks. Hopefully out around the time the English version of EDF 5 is released, and before Doom:Eternal.

alex314 posted:

Last I've heard it had September release date. I'm more interested in LG 34GK950G, which is supposed to have the upgraded version of a panel found in Dell AW3418DW. Still no release info.
Thanks, also looks decent. Product link for those curious about this LG ultrawide 34" monitor:
https://www.lg.com/hk_en/monitor/lg-34GK950G

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 25, 2018

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

nnnotime posted:

Thanks, also looks decent. Product link for those curious about this LG ultrawide 34" monitor:
In my searching, monitor news and rumors seemed practically nonexistent compared to all the GPU hype and activity, so thanks. Hopefully the September release rumor for this LG proves true.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

nnnotime posted:

It brags about a large gamut, but isn’t HDR, boo.

Also, whatever this means:

quote:

The 21:9 aspect ratio combined with the curved screen is great for gaming: gamers can see more information on the FPS game screen for survival overwhelming immersive in the wide gaming scene and stand out in a strategic advantage.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Subjunctive posted:

It brags about a large gamut, but isn’t HDR, boo.

Wide color gamut has been a thing for much longer than HDR.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Besides the Acer 4k/144hz/G-Sync monitor is there a decent 4k IPS high refresh rate monitor (like more than 60hz but not necessarily 144hz)? I thought there was a 100hz offering but I can't find it anywhere.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

VelociBacon posted:

Besides the Acer 4k/144hz/G-Sync monitor is there a decent 4k IPS high refresh rate monitor (like more than 60hz but not necessarily 144hz)? I thought there was a 100hz offering but I can't find it anywhere.

There's the Acer, the Asus, and a couple 75 Hz ultrawides that have 3840 pixels width but only 1600p vertically.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

TipsyMcStagger posted:

My question is this:

I would say that getting a monitor should go in this order of priorities:

Get IPS, then if you can afford it, get 21:9 Ultrawide, then if you can afford it, get G-Sync. Refresh rate is kind of overrated in my experience, 75-90hz is noticeably better than 60, but don't go out of your way for 120, it's diminishing returns. Ultrawide is awesome for watching movies (it's pretty much exact cinema ratio) and 9 out of 10 games I try to play support it. I can't stress enough how awesome it is for games, and if you're on a budget, the LG 29-inch ultrawide 75hz IPS, can be had for under $250: https://www.amazon.com/LG-29WK600-W-29-UltraWide-21/dp/B078GL93KG/

I have the Alienware 34 which ticks every box and has the best warranty to boot, but it costs ~$850 on a good day... and north of $1100 if there's no sales going on.

Also, the one other thing to consider for a desk setup is a good monitor arm. Amazon sells a re-badged Ergotron in their Basics line which I can vouch for: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Premium-Single-Monitor-Stand/dp/B00MIBN16O/ Buy it once and you can use it probably for life on any VESA monitor.

wolrah posted:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/big-format-gaming-displays/

65" 120Hz 4K G-Sync HDR displays with nVidia Shield set-top boxes built in.

They're intended to be basically the ultimate TV for the living room PC gamer. If you don't have a PC in your living room it'd probably be a better bang for the buck to just get a good 4K HDR TV and add a Shield to your setup because the G-Sync support will be going to waste.

Green Gloves posted:

The price on that thing is going to be ridiculous. That and 2080 ti would be 😱 to a wallet.

I am happy with my 4k HDR oled thank you.

Exactly... if they aren't OLED, they're not "the ultimate TV", full stop. I had an LG OLED 65-inch (that I flipped for a profit), and the color/contrast are so good it makes IPS look like TN.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Aug 27, 2018

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Should I buy the AOC Agon? I'm looking at 144hz / 1440p, sync not important. Is there any alternatives someone can recommend?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Zero VGS posted:

I have the Alienware 34 which ticks every box and has the best warranty to boot, but it costs ~$850 on a good day... and north of $1100 if there's no sales going on.

Also, the one other thing to consider for a desk setup is a good monitor arm. Amazon sells a re-badged Ergotron in their Basics line which I can vouch for: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Premium-Single-Monitor-Stand/dp/B00MIBN16O/ Buy it once and you can use it probably for life on any VESA monitor.

I replaced my Asus PG27Q with the Alienware this weekend, and it’s an enveloping experience. For anyone else considering a dual monitor setup with one gsync, just save yourself some money and time and look at these displays first.

I also second the Amazon wall mount, but heads up! The tension adjust is inside the arm, not on the back or side. I spent an hour yesterday trying to find the right Allen wrench, when I should have been looking up the manual.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Dell SD2716DG for $450 + 50 gift card, or should I hold out for an Alienware AW3418HW IPS for 729? (Do they even make non-ultra wide alienware IPS?)

Setset fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 27, 2018

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
Why is IPS so important? Is it more important than the resolution? Every time I hear about it, I hear about backlight too on the screen.

But I'm not willing to pay more than 400 for a monitor... I've been eyeing this https://m.newegg.com/products/0JC-0004-00551?ignorebbr=1

Is this ok at this price?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Katreus posted:

Why is IPS so important? Is it more important than the resolution? Every time I hear about it, I hear about backlight too on the screen.

But I'm not willing to pay more than 400 for a monitor... I've been eyeing this https://m.newegg.com/products/0JC-0004-00551?ignorebbr=1

TN= lovely when you aren't looking at it straight on ie. in the corners of the screen.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

TN= lovely when you aren't looking at it straight on ie. in the corners of the screen.

It also has worse colors, worse contrast and so on. Some TN screens have fading even when looking head on depending on viewing distance. IPS is just a lot less fuss in general.

Katreus posted:

The Dell TN gaming monitors have very good panels for TN, at $350 I'd say that monitor is a good deal. Just remember that Newegg is awful as far as returns on monitors go so if you have any doubt that you'll like it be aware that you might be stuck with it.

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 28, 2018

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
They're good value but seriously be prepared to suffer some restrictive viewing angles. I bought one last week and thought it'd be fine. I kept getting distracted by shifting colors when I moved my head and how the top and bottom of the screen looked different depending on where how high my head was. So just know that going in

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Lube banjo posted:

Dell SD2716DG for $450 + 50 gift card, or should I hold out for an Alienware AW3418HW IPS for 729? (Do they even make non-ultra wide alienware IPS?)

Where did you see this deal?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I've got a 2080Ti coming and I finally want to dump my SD2716DG. I looked on the last page or two and noticed what I basically have has come up a lot. I do agree its worth $350 (or close to it), but what would someone recommend if I want the same basic specs but with better color? I'm a pretty uninformed monitor person. I see a lot of negative stuff about IPS bleed on what I would have gravitated towards without help, that is an Asus 1440p Gsync 144hz+ or Acer panel. I've lived the IPS bleed life with Qnix's in the past and I'd prefer not to go back to that. If I'm out of luck I'm out of luck though.

I was generally happy my Dell, which I have to say was $400 when I bought it two years ago. But unfortunately I purchased a XPS 15 9575 and the stupid screen on that blows this away. It is literally depressing to go from that to this TN panel. It looks much, much, much better despite being an otherwise normal 1080p 60hz screen. I'm willing to put some money into it if it means it gives me great color.

"HDR" sounds like what I want too but I know absolutely nothing real about it and it doesnt really seem to be available with the other features

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 28, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The three choices are TN, IPS/AHVA/PLS, and VA. TN has okay color but viewing angle problems, IPS has good color but (sometimes) bleed, and VA has great color but really bad blurring due to response times.

You're kinda out of luck, IPS is by far the best of the three especially if color is your #1 priority, but maybe you will have better luck with a name-brand panel than a lovely Korean seconds-grade panel.

Eventually we will get OLED monitors but they tend to get burn-in badly when using them for PC stuff.

The only "gaming" HDR panels right now are the two 4K144 IPS monitors, so you're looking at $2k, and it's still early-adopter technology at this point, you've got haloing from the FALD backlight and all kinds of stuff, and the software side is nowhere near ready. There's only a handful of games that support HDR right now.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 28, 2018

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Paul MaudDib posted:

The three choices are TN, IPS/AHVA/PLS, and VA. TN has okay color but viewing angle problems, IPS has good color but (sometimes) bleed, and VA has great color but really bad blurring due to response times.

You're kinda out of luck, IPS is by far the best of the three especially if color is your #1 priority, but maybe you will have better luck with a name-brand panel than a lovely Korean seconds-grade panel.

Eventually we will get OLED monitors but they tend to get burn-in badly when using them for PC stuff.

Well you saved me some money which is probably the best response I could have gotten, thanks! I'm sure what I want will be available in a year anyways. It appears, at least, the holy grail of features is around the corner. I'd buy that 4k gsync 144hz HDR monitor if it weren't $2000 and it definitely has that 1st gen look that will likely be erased in no time at all

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

1gnoirents posted:

Well you saved me some money which is probably the best response I could have gotten, thanks! I'm sure what I want will be available in a year anyways. It appears, at least, the holy grail of features is around the corner. I'd buy that 4k gsync 144hz HDR monitor if it weren't $2000 and it definitely has that 1st gen look that will likely be erased in no time at all

Unfortunately I don't see the really high end features like HDR and 4k with high refresh rates coming down in price any time soon. Maybe in three years or so they will be better and "only" $1500 instead of $2000 with serious flaws and issues. The monitor market moves at a pretty glacial pace compared to the rest of the computer world, for example the 1440/144Hz+/Gsync/IPS monitors have been out for years and the prices have not really moved all that much, sometimes you can find one on sale for cheap but outside of that you are still paying $600-$700 two years after release.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Unfortunately I don't see the really high end features like HDR and 4k with high refresh rates coming down in price any time soon. Maybe in three years or so they will be better and "only" $1500 instead of $2000 with serious flaws and issues. The monitor market moves at a pretty glacial pace compared to the rest of the computer world, for example the 1440/144Hz+/Gsync/IPS monitors have been out for years and the prices have not really moved all that much, sometimes you can find one on sale for cheap but outside of that you are still paying $600-$700 two years after release.

:(

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
So, I bought the 24" Dell S2417DG and love it so far. I knew I wanted a gsync monitor with a high refresh rate (160hz) but didn't really care for/want a big monitor (24" is plenty IMO). Turns out that nobody makes IPS that small so I decided to give the TN a shot and I notice no color/brightness issues at all even at extreme angles.

When I first plugged it in I did have to screw around with the brightness/gamma settings a bit, but nbd.

My guess is that you really want IPS for bigger monitors, but at least the 24" Dell TN is nice? Paid ~$375 shipped via Amazon.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

Zero VGS posted:

I also got this and can attest that it's quite nice, especially with a smaller screen like mine.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Someone figured out how to get freesync monitors working with NVIDIA graphics cards (but you have to have a AMD APU).

https://wccftech.com/freesync-working-with-geforce-gtx-cards-but-there-is-a-catch/

KingEup fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Aug 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

The problem with the new 4K 144Hz HDR monitors is the Gsync module, it's extremely expensive and runs hot. They use a programmable chip that retails for over $2000 and while Nvidia probably buys them at a fraction of the price, people speculate that they're still selling it at cost to get the product out of the door. There's no sign of these becoming cheaper or Nvidia working on an alternative.
Many new monitors have cut down specs so they can get away with the older, cheaper module. The new LG ultrawide has a 144Hz panel and ships with max 100 (120Hz OC) for this reason.
The situation is unfortunate because now is the time where 4K Gsync would be most useful. 1-2 years from now we'll have the next generation of GPUs out that can hold >100fps in 4K and adaptive sync won't be as useful then as it would be now.

e: 4K Gsync with HDR even has a performance impact in some scenarios: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q6f8I0cRHg&t=139s

eames fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 28, 2018