Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If they're going to remake it, then there's probably going to be a new "truer" ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
And a new girl character to go with it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Female Hito-Shura would be a powerful look.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

I want a Nocturne HD so I can play the game outside the confines of janky emulation :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can play it on PS3, unless the emulation for that is considered janky

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

You can play it on PS3, unless the emulation for that is considered janky

Certain regions don't have it. Like mine. :(

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

projecthalaxy posted:

It will also be funny to see all the new people who have "why can't metroid crawl" type reactions to meeting with a certain skeletal spaniard.

Matador is incredibly infamous at this point and how to get around him with no effort is very well documented. He'd need to be basically an entirely different fight for that to happen overly often. It still probably would, but it'd be the exception not the rule.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
To be honest I think modern games are simply harder and train players better than they used to, so Matador wouldn't even be considered all that hard by today's standards. It was mostly hard for the sort of kid who grew up playing FF7 and the like where you could just mindlessly auto-attack anything to death. "I actually have to pay attention to resistances and buffs?!"

In this post Dark Souls world dying to a boss the first time you fight it isn't especially shocking anymore.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Clarste posted:

To be honest I think modern games are simply harder and train players better than they used to, so Matador wouldn't even be considered all that hard by today's standards. It was mostly hard for the sort of kid who grew up playing FF7 and the like where you could just mindlessly auto-attack anything to death. "I actually have to pay attention to resistances and buffs?!"

In this post Dark Souls world dying to a boss the first time you fight it isn't especially shocking anymore.

[insert game journalist reactions to smt4 here]

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

ah yes. the old-school gamers who grew up playing games like Final Fantasy IV, where you make literally no character progression decisions at all

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Brother Entropy posted:

[insert game journalist reactions to smt4 here]

I mean, tbf, the very beginning of SMTIV is some hot bullshit

Oh wait you're talking about the picture with all the Dark Souls comparisons, never mind

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Literally the latest gamescom had many journalists exposed for being bad at games while playing devil may cry 5

Because the music ramps up vocally as you get higher grades, and all their complaints was "wow, this music doesn't have vocals"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tae posted:

Literally the latest gamescom had many journalists exposed for being bad at games while playing devil may cry 5

Because the music ramps up vocally as you get higher grades, and all their complaints was "wow, this music doesn't have vocals"

I keep saying it whenever I hear it but that honestly just sounds to me like the music system there is overtuned if you can't hear any good music for 90% of your playtime.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Meallan posted:

Yeah ever since p2, the persona games seem to want to delve into problems of human nature but always stop just shy of making any significant point.

There's some stuff they do well but you get a sense they always stop before any nuanced or problematic issues. In p5, personally, the stuff with Ann and kamoshida ended up annoying me because: oh here's a story about a teacher sexual assaulting his students. Also you can romance a teacher, also Ann is now the sexy group girl and were going to joke about it in the exact next storyline after kamoshida. And so you end up not saying a lot about about anything.
I really like P5, and there is a lot of aspect I appreciate about the story and the gameplay, but it doesn't touch on the real social issues, even if the theme is rebellion. That is a problem with media address to teenagers and young adult. Something you can see the dept to the story but the people behind it fell short because they want the content to be easy to process, not being side track, or to pick "sides".

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 28, 2018

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh man, I finally found this thread again after getting to the last dungeon of SMTIV:A and goddamn is this a motherfucker. They really love warping dungeon gimmicks in this game, I swear to god. The story and atmosphere are fantastic though, admittedly I get somewhat of why people write the game off as "waifu poo poo."

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

Arist posted:

I keep saying it whenever I hear it but that honestly just sounds to me like the music system there is overtuned if you can't hear any good music for 90% of your playtime.

you have to get like an A rank for the music to kick in, which really isnt that hard. if it was SSS it would be weird but A is very achievable especially on easier difficulties, you just have to actually be attempting to play the game stylishly

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Arist posted:

I mean, tbf, the very beginning of SMTIV is some hot bullshit

Oh wait you're talking about the picture with all the Dark Souls comparisons, never mind

tbh that image is kinda dumb on account of being split three ways between genuinely dumb "it's not persona!" quotes, dumb complaints that fans also make, and genuine flaws with SMT4 that most people agree on

Tae posted:

that was one guy afaik and all he said was that it lacked an effect from DmC that, to me at least, sounded different than DMC5 adding track layers as your combo goes up

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Arist posted:

Motto posted:

tbh that image is kinda dumb

Okay now I want to see this.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Okay now I want to see this.

like I said there's some genuinely dumb quotes, but stuff like complaining about recycled sprites is fairly common among fans and lol at the idea of standing up for SMT4's map.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tbf it is probably hard to be good at every game you're checking out for like half an hour when you're trying to get to all of them during the event

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

e: beaten

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Matador is fine on normal, yeah. Anyone new to it with no knowledge will probably eat poo poo if they don't have a void force demon, but otherwise they'll be fine. He is legitimately still very difficult on hard tho.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Motto posted:

like I said there's some genuinely dumb quotes, but stuff like complaining about recycled sprites is fairly common among fans and lol at the idea of standing up for SMT4's map.

That soundtrack quot still makes me laugh.

SMTIV's soundtrack is amazing.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My biggest gripe with SMTIV is that it's on 3DS and just LOL if you think I'm pulling that out of a drawer ever again.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
The 3DS hate is such a weird meme

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I own a 3DS and a Vita that I bought for the first time just last year, and play them both regularly on a weekly basis, they're great consoles. I will hold out on buying a Switch as long as I can.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

my sister lent me her switch so I could play zelda and I don't think I'd ever use my 3ds again if I owned one. not a dig on the 3ds or anything; the switch just seems better

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

3ds is good they got warioware on there now and animal crossing and tomodachi life

Fire Emblem which is like Persona if it happened in the past is also on the 3ds. You can't afford not to have one

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress Fire Emblem you should buy Super Robot Wars on the Vita. That's all I gotta say.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I literally got the 3DS XL 6 years ago (today! :woop:) despite the fact I hadn't bought new consoles in almost a decade because I found out that a ton of Megaten/Atlus games were coming / were already available. Hell, the first 2 games I got were DeSu Overclocked and Order of Ecclesia. The only game I still didn't quite like was Persona Q. Otherwise, yeah: I love my little blue bomb-rear end 3DS.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I've had a lot of fun and good memories on my 3DS. I have nothing but love for the system. But I'm not upgrading to a New and the form factor is just so much worse than a Switch that it's tough to go back to it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The 3DS has such an insane backlog of good games at this point that writing it off completely just feels silly unless you’ve beaten them all.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Taintrunner posted:

gently caress Fire Emblem you should buy Super Robot Wars on the Vita. That's all I gotta say.

Super Robot Wars' presentation makes me wish Fire Emblem kept using sprites.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Artelier posted:

Certain regions don't have it. Like mine. :(

Oh yeah, making a US account is easy though and you can get PSN fun bucks pretty easily off Amazon, just make up a US billing address, they never check.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Last Celebration posted:

The 3DS has such an insane backlog of good games at this point that writing it off completely just feels silly unless you’ve beaten them all.

It's less writing the 3DS off and more just moving on. Eventually a console just stops being a priority for my time. The Switch will be in the same place in a few years.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

I own a 3DS and a Vita that I bought for the first time just last year, and play them both regularly on a weekly basis, they're great consoles. I will hold out on buying a Switch as long as I can.

I got my 3DS and Vita at the same time, and I used to play them both a bunch while travelling since flights to the mainland take forever, but then my Vita's left analog stick decided to break so now all those remastered PS2 games are just collecting dust :argh:

Portable systems spoiled me for RPGs, now if I can't immediately pause it at any time and pick it up without waiting I have trouble getting into them. Unless they're like the FFXII remaster with the fast forward toggle.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Jokes on the thread. I felt guilty about my 3DS and cracked it out and now I'm continuing my game of DQVII.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I love my dead gay Vita.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6BCfIcvBRg

Persona Q2 preview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Dehry posted:

Persona Q2 preview

It looks pretty similar to Q1, but with way better outfits for Elizabeth and Theodore.