Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I watched OG Gundam and now I'm watching Zeta and I'm around episode 14ish and it's so weird to me that everyone is just cool with this man who is obviously Char hanging out

Kai and Hayato have literally imperiled themselves to help Char, who they knew as the obsessive Zeon ace who chased them around trying to kill them for months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I watched OG Gundam and now I'm watching Zeta and I'm around episode 14ish and it's so weird to me that everyone is just cool with this man who is obviously Char hanging out

Kai and Hayato have literally imperiled themselves to help Char, who they knew as the obsessive Zeon ace who chased them around trying to kill them for months

Politics makes strange bedfellows.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

The Titans are super bad and also on some level they know Char's heart wasn't in the OYW; he just wanted to kill the Zabis

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, I think finding out Char murdered drat near most of the zabi family on his own, combined with how bad the Titans are before the series even starts kinda makes Kai and Hayato realize Char is not nearly the biggest threat.

I don't blame them either. It took a while after I finished Zeta before my brain finally clicked with how absolutely monstrous the Titans truly were.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Plus who doesn't want to hang out with a dude ballsy enough to call himself Quad Vagina?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That Quattro and Four have the same drat name is still the weirdest parallel to me in all of Gundam and I've never heard any real convincing argument for why this is done in the story.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Raxivace posted:

That Quattro and Four have the same drat name is still the weirdest parallel to me in all of Gundam and I've never heard any real convincing argument for why this is done in the story.

Kamille wants to gently caress both of them.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Droyer posted:

His name ain't Kamille Bisexual Power Bottom Bidan for nothing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Droyer posted:

Hell I'll buy this explanation.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Kamille is to Four as Amuro is to Char

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

General Battuta posted:

I think it's worth noting that Amuro barely gives a poo poo about the Alpha Azieri and more or less bypasses it as an annoyance — he's focused on Char, he's not there to give a poo poo about anyone else, kids and Chan included.

He also barely cares about Char at points, and tries to shake Char off when around Axis to concentrate on blowing up Axis itself. Including abandoning the Nu Gundam to enter Axis and make sure Bright and his team of sappers are okay. Char is the one constantly chasing Amuro and pushing Amuro to fight him. Amuro is part of Londo Bell because he's (correctly) paranoid about Char's motives and goals, but he's concerned about the greater good and stopping Axis over fighting or stopping Char. He's a pilot because that's the best way to stop Char and stop the conflict, not because he's just resigned to never being capable of being anything else. Which is not much different from his attitude for the back half of 0079.

Darth Walrus posted:

The School of the Undefeated of the East in particular do routinely channel clearly supernatural abilities through their suits, from the Sekiha Tenkyoken to that whirlwind thing Domon and Master Asia used to wipe out the Death Army in old Tokyo.

The whole Shuffle Alliance are capable of extraordinary feats of martial arts really, not just the School of the Undefeated of the East. They just have the most numerous feats, because the protagonist belongs to that school and his master is one of the primary antagonists. George can basically cause hurricanes, while Argo can cause earthquakes. Even the non-Shuffle Alliance Gundam fighters seem like they're probably capable of strong physical feats. It's just how that setting works. It's all wuxia stuff as you said.

Darth Walrus posted:

As for Wing, it’s a fairly hard-and-fast rule in the TV series at least that only suits with aerodynamic flight modes (the Aries, Taurus, Wing, Wing Zero, and Epyon) can properly fly in atmosphere. Like, that’s the Wing Gundam’s main selling point.

I'm pretty sure the Leo has a flight pack that makes it capable of flight too, and that the Wing, Wing Zero and Epyon were all capable of flight in their mobile suit modes too if I recall. The Aries barely had a transformation, and was capable of flying without doing it. The Strike, Impulse and Murasame's flight packs all had wings, the non GN equipped suits capable of flying in AD like the Flag were light and slim as well as having wings. The flying units that don't make some vague concession to aerodynamics are rarer than those that do (the Turn A and Turn X being two); putting some tiny wings on a brick doesn't make the brick aerodynamic or mean the wings are what makes it capable of flying though.

Darth Walrus posted:

the Hashmal, which is specifically designed to float above the ground on its powerful thrusters - in fact, I don’t believe it ever voluntarily touched the ground. That might have something to do with Ahab Waves’ known ability to manipulate gravity, though. The Hashmal is laden with lost technology.

I believe the Hashmal is only used on Mars, so the lighter gravity probably helps too. It's only about a third of the gravity on Earth by my understanding.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Zeta Update: I hate this blonde chick

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Leo’s flight pack seems to be for making it fall slower rather than for active aerial combat. I’m not sure we ever see them launching from a runway like a Taurus or Aries - it’s more of a tool for airdropped platoons. Same applies to the Aile Strike and related machines (though not the Freedom and other next-gen CE suits) - it’s a jump/glide pack, not something that allows true flight. There’s usually a distinction drawn in the franchise between a backpack with wings (good for gliding and jumping) and a full aerial mode (true flight), and outside the CE, most machines that break this rule have something other than raw thrust keeping them in the air.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Waffles Inc. posted:

The Titans are super bad and also on some level they know Char's heart wasn't in the OYW; he just wanted to kill the Zabis

To pretty much everyone on the White Base, Char was an enemy soldier. It's only Amuro who has any personal beef with him, largely because of Lalah.

I guess Sayla likes him well enough, but she ain't in Zeta.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

To pretty much everyone on the White Base, Char was an enemy soldier. It's only Amuro who has any personal beef with him, largely because of Lalah.

Hey now, be fair. She shows up for like half a minute.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Beltorchika is really annoying at first, but she sorts her poo poo out.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Beltorchika?

Yeah, she's pretty unpopular.

Probably doesn't help she's filling some replacement Sayla functions.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

EthanSteele posted:

Beltorchika is really annoying at first, but she sorts her poo poo out.

both MSG and Zeta have had this thing of "female character says some weirdass off the wall poo poo and maybe gets over it later"

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

HitTheTargets posted:

I thought she showed up for an episode didn't she?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

OptimusShr posted:

I thought she showed up for an episode didn't she?

Sayla is at best a cameo in Zeta Gundam.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Finally watched Rise of the Red Comet. That was some drat fine intrigue, and probably my favourite portrayal of Degwin Zabi and his fall from grace. The Zabi power struggles are fascinating because they have loyalties to one another but only to a point. Kycillia's double dealing was fun to watch play out.

As for the Battle of Loum, it felt markedly different from the introduction to Origin 1. Origin 1 portrays Mobile Suits as these ungodly fast game changers that rip through an entire fleet in seconds, while Origin 6 is disturbingly clinical with its portrayal of violence. It's clear that the Feddies have no chance, but it is so one-sided and methodical that it becomes horrific in its simplicity. It's simply a half-hour long massacre played out in full with almost no music, just the screams of the dying.

The part that freaked me out the most, however, was definitely Garma's "mop up" operations on Loum. Kid just had a manic look in his face shouting about achieving glory and driving back the Federation while he's too ignorant to even notice the immense civilian casualties he's causing. Dozle had a moment of regret that he suppressed through perverted logic, but poor Garma is so naive to the consequences of his actions that he doesn't even realize he's committing atrocities.

While it's sadly not happening, I would love to see a full adaptation of Origin. Thirty years of refinement to 0079 could result in something masterful when put to cels, and these six films have been some of the best Gundam material we've had in a decade. I didn't really like the ending. It felt like a preview for the main series with all the "who this person is in the main show!" info cards.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 29, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Finally watched Rise of the Red Comet. That was some drat fine intrigue, and probably my favourite portrayal of Degwin Zabi and his fall from grace. The Zabi power struggles are fascinating because they have loyalties to one another but only to a point. Kycillia's double dealing was fun to watch play out.

As for the Battle of Loum, it felt markedly different from the introduction to Origin 1. Origin 1 portrays Mobile Suits as these ungodly fast game changers that rip through an entire fleet in seconds, while Origin 6 is disturbingly clinical with its portrayal of violence. It's clear that the Feddies have no chance, but it is so one-sided and methodical that it becomes horrific in its simplicity. It's simply a half-hour long massacre played out in full with almost no music, just the screams of the dying.

The part that freaked me out the most, however, was definitely Garma's "mop up" operations on Loum. Kid just had a manic look in his face shouting about achieving glory and driving back the Federation while he's too ignorant to even notice the immense civilian casualties he's causing. Dozle had a moment of regret that he suppressed through perverted logic, but poor Garma is so naive to the consequences of his actions that he doesn't even realize he's committing atrocities.

While it's sadly not happening, I would love to see a full adaptation of Origin. Thirty years of refinement to 0079 could result in something masterful when put to cels, and these six films have been some of the best Gundam material we've had in a decade.

It already exists as manga, though, and it generally was better than the movies. I like the Origin films, sure, but it's good to get new things, even if there's a lot of misfires.

Speaking of, finally saw CCA all through, and it's everything people said it would be... for better and worse.

On the one hand, Char's amazing to watch. He's holding up a different mask in every scene, playing everyone outside Londo Bell by convincing them that they can believe what they desperately want to believe about them, while all he wants to do is fight Amuro and die feeling like he Did Something to get his legacy off his back.

Amuro's good too as Char's opposite. He's a good guy who genuinely cares about people... but he's got a divide, and he's not so good at manipulating them. Even Chan, who he's closest to, notes that sometimes he gets cold and distant, despite being a basically kind person. When he tries to convince people he doesn't know to do things, it fails, because he doesn't have Char's talent in manipulation or the desire for it. Which means when he gives straight talk to Hathaway and Quess, they ignore him to go off and be idiots.

And that's a good place to start the bad. Because they're terrible. Well... Hathaway is an idiot who escalates to terrible at the end, but Quess and Gyunei are terrible throughout. (Interesting to note, though, that Hathaway outright says that Bright's a decent dad, if not in so many words. Kind of assumed there'd be more conflict there.) It's hard to feel Quess's arc is tragic when you're thinking the real tragedy is that she wasn't shot sooner.

And the pacing is just... it starts in media res, and then kind of shuffles around to return to where it started. It's weird.

Pretty, and the designs are good, but it doesn't really hold up for me overall.

Frost Ace
Oct 26, 2010
Is The Origin manga a decent way to get the 0079 story if I don't have a good way to watch the original series?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

It takes a couple of liberties with when certain things occur relative to each other, but if I remember right it works well enough to lead into Zeta and its sequels.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Aug 29, 2018

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Frost Ace posted:

Is The Origin manga a decent way to get the 0079 story if I don't have a good way to watch the original series?

Id recommend the compilation movies over origins, but more so that there more of an alternative retelling of events, and it's interesting to see that after having seen the original. But yeah you can start with origins and be fine

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Frost Ace posted:

Yes. It's beautiful and explains a few historical things that get short shrift in animated versions.

Psycho Landlord posted:

It takes a couple of liberties with when certain things occur relative to each other, but if I remember right it works well enough to lead into Zeta and its sequels.

The differences are very minor.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Midjack posted:

The differences are very minor.

It changes a bunch of stuff, most notably the entire timeline for mobile suit development.

There are also some important character changes: Jimba Ral is a paranoid rear end in a top hat instead of a nice old dude, the Zabis are even more two-dimensional than in the show (e.g. Kycilia kills Gihren as a matter of convenience so she can take over, instead of being genuinely disgusted that he murdered their father), and Sayla is way more active (she's practically on par with Amuro in terms of the importance of her actions towards the end of the manga).

The differences don't alter the shape of the story too much but they're definitely more than "very minor."

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I actually thought that Origin haded more depth to Degwin Dozle and Garma.
Kycllia's shown to be even worse though, that's fair.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well I've really enjoyed how Kycillia plays up her loyalty to Degwin but still has her own agenda. That certainly came through in this last episode where she loving despises Gihren but still found a way to turn her loyalty to Degwin to her own ends and let Revil take the blame for everything.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Monaghan posted:

I actually thought that Origin haded more depth to Degwin Dozle and Garma.
Kycllia's shown to be even worse though, that's fair.

Dozle is definitely the one who comes out of Origin with the best character changes, yeah.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 29, 2018

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Shinjobi posted:

I don't blame them either. It took a while after I finished Zeta before my brain finally clicked with how absolutely monstrous the Titans truly were.

drat dude. Did the playground/schoolyard in that gassed colony bounce off you?

I guess they went from super evil to monstrous when they tried gassing colonies every other episode later on

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Marx Headroom posted:

drat dude. Did the playground/schoolyard in that gassed colony bounce off you?

I guess they went from super evil to monstrous when they tried gassing colonies every other episode later on

Nah, if anything it was probably how I watched it. I kinda marathoned it, and while I remember in a vacuum the colony gassing my memories of the episode in detail were kinda fuzzy.

At no point was I ever "oh gee those Titans are rascals," but I think the pace of just cramming all those episodes into one sitting was probably doing particular moments a disservice, and that one is definitely one of them.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Lemon-Lime posted:

It changes a bunch of stuff, most notably the entire timeline for mobile suit development.

There are also some important character changes: Jimba Ral is a paranoid rear end in a top hat instead of a nice old dude, the Zabis are even more two-dimensional than in the show (e.g. Kycilia kills Gihren as a matter of convenience so she can take over, instead of being genuinely disgusted that he murdered their father), and Sayla is way more active (she's practically on par with Amuro in terms of the importance of her actions towards the end of the manga).

The differences don't alter the shape of the story too much but they're definitely more than "very minor."

Yeah, that's sort of what I was referring to. Also, and spoilers for characters so don't read this, guy who was asking, it makes Char waaaaay more egregiously sociopathic early on, which I feel like might raise some eyebrows early on in Zeta if you use Origin as the basis of UC.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Your choices for experiencing 0079 are:

1. Watching 43 episodes of a children's cartoon produced 40 years ago on a television budget
2. A compilation trilogy that cuts out most of the dumb poo poo but also cuts out all the pacing and characterization so it becomes "computer download gundam.0079 into my brain"
3. A high-budget simulacrum made by fanboys 40 years later (i.e. Char is a badass psychopath mastermind instead of a short-sighted fuckup)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can you really call yasuhiko a fanboy if he was involved with the original series?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Can you really call yasuhiko a fanboy if he was involved with the original series?

He was the character designer, not the writer. Remember what happened when an animator on Evangelion decided to recapture that old Gainax mecha magic earlier this year? If you don’t get it, I’m talking about Darling in the FranXX.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its amazing just how much more condensing that post becomes with the spoiler tags.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

Its amazing just how much more condensing that post becomes with the spoiler tags.

I thought I should take into account the goons who may have used expensive cleaning products to scrub it from their brains. Or scrubbed something else from their brains and lost it as well. 2018 has been a year all right.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Origin is mostly an upgrade and given how many people didn't get the memo on Char being a sociopathic manchild, making it 200% more explicit was the right choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I thought I should take into account the goons who may have used expensive cleaning products to scrub it from their brains. Or scrubbed something else from their brains and lost it as well. 2018 has been a year all right.

Personally I prefer to assume that everyone I talk to isn't an idiot, but you do you.