Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

spog posted:

Also: one for the Brits - where do you get your spools of wire from? Nothignfancy, just what you'd use to plumb in a couple of LEDS, dashcam power supply, etc

Vehicle Wiring Products as already mentioned. They sell every colour of wire and will sell you as little as 1m rather than making you buy 100m rolls as some places do. Reasonable postage prices too. They also sell of lot of general electrical items like switches and terminals, generally catering more to the classic car world.

SimTek have a lot of the harder to find stuff like manufactuer-specific connectors and terminals for more modern stuff.

PoleVolt is another good place for general wiring supplies.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Same question about wiring but for ‘Merka

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Same question about wiring but for ‘Merka

Waytek wire is a good start, but their minimums on wire start at 100'. I don't know any source for short wiring spools.

EFIConnection does 10' pieces of TXL wire, so maybe that's closer to what you're looking for.

I've never used them, but WireBarn does short TXL and GXL wire in a bunch of colors. They've even got assortment packs which look pretty good. You're paying a premium per foot, but if you only need 25 feet, a 250' spool is pretty wasteful.

It you're doing anything outdoors or marine-related, I can't gush about GenuineDealz enough (and yes, their store name is terrible). Their pricing on marine wire and heat shrink terminals is superb, their battery cable building service is incredible (just pay for the terminals, wire, and heatshrink, plus $1/termination, and they'll strip, crimp, and heatshrink your cables), and shipping is always free. They've got a good selection of colored glue-lined heatshrink tubing too.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 21, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Steal it from work? Good question and I'd like the answer too as I've never actually bought it, just robbed it off young junkyard cars and I'd like to actually build a thing in the near future.

For me, wire is like pens, paperclips and those crappy '50 piece' screwdriver sets - I never buy them, they just appear in my drawers.

Sweevo posted:

Vehicle Wiring Products as already mentioned. They sell every colour of wire and will sell you as little as 1m rather than making you buy 100m rolls as some places do. Reasonable postage prices too. They also sell of lot of general electrical items like switches and terminals, generally catering more to the classic car world.

What spec would you recommend as keeping for general automotive use: assuming it is for low currents such as sensors, LEDs, USB sockets, etc and not starter motors?

mod sassinator posted:

A thermocouple or temperature probe could be handy for measuring the temp of things like radiator, coolant, etc. Otherwise with everything being fancy digital interfaces and buses these days I can't imagine much more than a basic voltage, current, and maybe frequency measurement is all you need with a multimeter and car. I'd get a cheapo digital meter and put the saved money towards a nicer code reader, OBD/CAN bus interface, etc.
'Max' feature?

InitialDave posted:

Vehicle Wiring Products is probably a good place to start.

Multimeters, not sure what the latest stuff is, but I use a UNI-T one that I think has an rpm function built into it.

Does that have an amp clamp?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

spog posted:

What spec would you recommend as keeping for general automotive use: assuming it is for low currents such as sensors, LEDs, USB sockets, etc and not starter motors?

I use the thin wall stuff for everything. The thinnest (0.5mm^2) is rated for 11 amps, so that's fine for any sensors, USB, gauge wiring, and small lights. You only need to go for the bigger sizes once you start wiring up things with significant current draws like headlamps or fans.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

spog posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for an automotive multimeter? i.e. something that does something special that bog standard multimeters don't do?

Also: one for the Brits - where do you get your spools of wire from? Nothignfancy, just what you'd use to plumb in a couple of LEDS, dashcam power supply, etc

I've used kojjaycat a bunch to get connectors and cable for car/bike projects.
https://kojaycat.co.uk/

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Sweevo posted:

Can anyone help identify this logo?

It's the manufacturer logo on an air compressor my friend picked it up recently. He was told it's probably mid-late 80s vintage.

An old Delta logo maybe?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

spog posted:

Does that have an amp clamp?

This is the killer feature for me. I use a Fluke 36 and the DC clamp functionality has come in handy for quick diagnosis of slow drains and such. It's easy to start at the battery cable and quickly move downstream to find the culprit

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Rectal Placenta posted:

An old Delta logo maybe?

I don't think so. I've seen lots of old Delta compressors at work, but never seen any with that logo.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Sweevo posted:

I don't think so. I've seen lots of old Delta compressors at work, but never seen any with that logo.

Is there a nameplate? Could be on the compressor or the tank. Or both. Better pictures would help.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What do you figure is the best way to run 2 batteries in my car.

Would there be too much resistance running marine terminals on both tying them together with 1 gauge cable and copper lugs, then a 1 gauge cable to the starter?

e: how bad of an idea would it be to use this style of terminal, and crimp/solder it on it on to a stripped section of a longer wire.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 25, 2018

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

Would there be too much resistance running marine terminals on both tying them together with 1 gauge cable and copper lugs, then a 1 gauge cable to the starter?

e: how bad of an idea would it be to use this style of terminal, and crimp/solder it on it on to a stripped section of a longer wire.

Marine for life. Those stamped things are satan's rear end in a top hat.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Marine for life. Those stamped things are satan's rear end in a top hat.

Word. Those things maybe work fine if you only rarely disconnect/change your battery, but I've seen so many of those broken of metal fatigue, probably from just the wear of tightening/loosening them. I would never put one in myself unless it was literally the only thing I had available (including hose clamps).

These things are pretty common at least around here:

The idea is you just strip the cable and clamp it down with that little metal plate. They work decently well and are possible to do a field-repair with as long as you can strip the cable insulation. Downside is the cable will eventually corrode allover and also easily have strands break off when the cable moves about.

If you can get a ring terminal crimped on your cable, always go for that together with one of those marine/whatever terminals where you bolt the ring terminal down proper. Depending on where you mount it, you may want to get one with a regular bolt instead of that wingnut, for a bit lower profile. If the positive terminal touches the hood of your car during turns when the body flexes in just the right way, there is instant Electric Boogaloo.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I'd go marine terminals plus a crimped cable terminal. None of those clamp-on terminals work well.

Why do you need/want a second battery? You might want to install an isolator between them.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

What do y'all like on a die grinder for clearing rust when doing brake jobs? So for the face of the hub, and also inside the caliper where the ears of the pad ride.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

sharkytm posted:

I'd go marine terminals plus a crimped cable terminal. None of those clamp-on terminals work well.

Why do you need/want a second battery? You might want to install an isolator between them.

Because it's a big engine used for short trips in the dead of winter.

I think i'm going to go with 1/0 welding cables and marine terminals because the cost is ultimately negligible and it will always be handy to have a big hammer crimper.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Powershift posted:

I think i'm going to go with 1/0 welding cables and marine terminals because the cost is ultimately negligible and it will always be handy to have a big hammer crimper.

I thought a two battery system warranted adding an isolator as well to prevent overcharging and depleting both leaving you stranded too.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

StormDrain posted:

I thought a two battery system warranted adding an isolator as well to prevent overcharging and depleting both leaving you stranded too.

Along with extra ventilation to prevent explosions and/or poisoning

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/battery-terminals

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ionn posted:

...Depending on where you mount it, you may want to get one with a regular bolt instead of that wingnut, for a bit lower profile. If the positive terminal touches the hood of your car during turns when the body flexes in just the right way, there is instant Electric Boogaloo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9NnP1IMmZY

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are the Harbor Freight jack stands any good? On one hand, a giant hunk of metal shouldn't be difficult to do well, on the other hand I really don't want it to give out while I'm under the car.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

Another plug for GenuineDealz.com and their cable termination service: http://www.genuinedealz.com/1-0-awg-custom-battery-cables
The website name is terrible, but their cable is top-quality, and their terminations are done really nicely. Elbow terminals, heavy-wall lugs, glue-lined heatshrink, etc. Configure your cables, they'll make them and ship them for free. If you're serious about it, I'd have them make single-piece cables with flag terminals: http://www.genuinedealz.com/battery-terminal-flag-copper-tinned-positive-1-0-awg We re-did our research boat's 3-battery setup with their cables, and it came out really nicely. All 3 grounds were tied together, then the starting battery and house batteries were separated with an isolator and combination switch.

Also, a second battery will help, but your diesel will hate short trips for lots of other reasons, namely the oil never getting to temp. You'd be smart to do a 30-minute drive once a week. My Duramax came with dual batteries, which is nice.

opengl128 posted:

What do y'all like on a die grinder for clearing rust when doing brake jobs? So for the face of the hub, and also inside the caliper where the ears of the pad ride.

Brown/Maroon Roloc Disc, all the way.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are the Harbor Freight jack stands any good? On one hand, a giant hunk of metal shouldn't be difficult to do well, on the other hand I really don't want it to give out while I'm under the car.

The big 6 ton and small 1.5 ton cast aluminum ones have been solid for me.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I wouldn't trust their rating system, ie, don't trust that the 1.5 ton stands will hold 3000 lbs safely. Otherwise, they're probably fine.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Related question, do they mean weight for each or the pair? Total weight of the car or for half of it since you're only going to be lifting half the car with two stands?

I'm currently using two 6 ton jack stands, but they're holding up the front end of a car I'm fixing soon™

E: For the record, I'm always in favor of using ridiculously high ratings on jack stands because I hate being under a car, it scares the poo poo out of me.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 27, 2018

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

The 6 ton stands are great. Super tall and a big saddle instead of the little pinch weld notch that mangles rocker panels.

And yeah, they're usually rated per pair, but way over-rating is obviously a good idea. Not just for weight capacity but for stability. I'd rather be under a car on 6 ton stands all the way down than anything smaller lifted up.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Related question, do they mean weight for each or the pair? Total weight of the car or for half of it since you're only going to be lifting half the car with two stands?

I'm currently using two 6 ton jack stands, but they're holding up the front end of a car I'm fixing soon™

E: For the record, I'm always in favor of using ridiculously high ratings on jack stands because I hate being under a car, it scares the poo poo out of me.

Everyone I’ve seen was per pair, I recall it feeling really disingenuous.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

StormDrain posted:

I think an isolator is only needed when you're separating the batteries or running 2 different types. This is a matched pair that never have been and never will be separated or drained seperately.

sharkytm posted:

Also, a second battery will help, but your diesel will hate short trips for lots of other reasons, namely the oil never getting to temp. You'd be smart to do a 30-minute drive once a week. My Duramax came with dual batteries, which is nice.

My truck already has dual batteries. I'm doing this for the Lincoln which doesn't have a diesel..........yet.........

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

opengl128 posted:

Die grinder or angle grinder?
If angle grinder, a wire wheel attachment. Cup style or disc style.

Die grinder, beats the hell out of me. EVery die grinder I've seen, the RPMs are too high for anything like a wire wheel/sanding attachment.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Total weight of the car or for half of it since you're only going to be lifting half the car with two stands?

A lot of jacks and stands are only rated for half the car's weight, you gotta watch out.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

..I hate being under a car, it scares the poo poo out of me.

it is the worst

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If I was having a house custom-built I would no joke have them do a Jiffy-Lube style basement in the garage just so I would never have to lift the car unless I was doing tires/brakes/axles/whatever. I get that lifts are safe, but working with a hydraulic lift was terrifying too just because I was afraid the auto shop teacher would miss something when they came to check it out.

I got a pair of the Harbor Freight 3-ton jacks so I can do my Camry's oil (I miss having a car that I didn't have to jack to do the oil), if I never post again I got crushed by Japanese steel due to Chinese craftsmanship.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Powershift posted:

I think an isolator is only needed when you're separating the batteries or running 2 different types. This is a matched pair that never have been and never will be separated or drained seperately.

My truck already has dual batteries. I'm doing this for the Lincoln which doesn't have a diesel..........yet.........

Oh god. Do you already have a block heater? I know you’re competent with both cars and the cold but I’d just garage the Lincoln until the thaw comes to Alberta and ride the Ford all winter.

Edit: earlier I was reading about some of the fancier isolators that prevent overcharging, not sure if that’s a concern or not. How does it work on the Powerstroke?

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 28, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Oh god. Do you already have a block heater? I know you’re competent with both cars and the cold but I’d just garage the Lincoln until the thaw comes to Alberta and ride the Ford all winter.

Edit: earlier I was reading about some of the fancier isolators that prevent overcharging, not sure if that’s a concern or not. How does it work on the Powerstroke?

Our winter is 6 months long, and i can't stay out of it that long I only park it in the spring when there's dry gravel on paved roads.

There are no isolators in dual or even quad battery diesels. Isolators are really only if one battery is being drawn down solo, which doesn't happen if they're tied in parallel. The batteries i'm using have threaded vent holes so it won't be too hard to rig up a couple vent lines.

I REALLY want to put the powerstroke in the Lincoln, but need another pickup before i start tearing the F250 apart.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Powershift posted:

I REALLY want to put the powerstroke in the Lincoln, but need another pickup before i start tearing the F250 apart.
This sounds like an amazing idea. You have the 7.3 right? I'd think the intake would be a little tall, but it would be sweet.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Looks like Sears has the 20pc ratcheting gearwrench set for $50 again.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

El Jebus posted:

Looks like Sears has the 20pc ratcheting gearwrench set for $50 again.

Jesus, and you get $50 in bonus points to spend later. I don’t need them but also maybe I do?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

StormDrain posted:

Jesus, and you get $50 in bonus points to spend later. I don’t need them but also maybe I do?

So it turns out what I really want was the stubby set anyway, which was $69.99. So I put it in my cart. Where they decided to also give me $20 off for fun. Ok great so now it's $49.99. Except then I don't get the bonus $50 in points to use later? I guess I can't combine them.... well what if I add this coffee mug sized bucket boss that I think is hilarious for $3? Oh cool now I get the bonus points that I'm going to use for a gearwrench 120xp ratchet. Except then they can't add a new credit card. Maybe it's a chrome problem, let's try Edge. that doesn't work. So I'll use paypal. What's the paypal password? no, no, no no no locked. OK I'll reset it. "new password was used too recently" *are you loving kidding me*. new password. Checkout. Back to the beginning again? choose payment? OK paypal again, now it works?

HOW MANY WRENCHES DID I GET AND WAS SAVING $20 AND MAYBE GETTING A FREE RATCHET LATER WORTH IT?

I am going to cry laugh when I get my tiny coffee mug bucketboss. I swear that took 20 minutes.

edit:

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 30, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I haven't ordered from Sears in forever (although everyday get emails, free points, bonus cash, etc.) but the Sears website is one of the biggest piles of poo poo in existence.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Colostomy Bag posted:

I haven't ordered from Sears in forever (although everyday get emails, free points, bonus cash, etc.) but the Sears website is one of the biggest piles of poo poo in existence.

Same here. I'll pay a little more to not have to deal with their idiotic policies, useless customer service, constant problems (failure to ship, lost shipments, lost pickups, etc), and general fuckery, especially with their website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
havent been back since i bought TWO of those glorious Gladiator 30" cabinets (the welded ones) that were on super sale for 99bux