Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Safeword posted:

Alright, thanks guys! A bit sad the giant ship went boom. Would've made an amazing boss or something...

Well, the ship is literally the setting of the Keeper of the Lake dungeon so there's that. Having it be an actual boss might have been a bit much, similar to the Calamity CGI video where Generic Hyur WoL looks up at Bahamut and says "I'm not geared for this raid". The Agrius was loving big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Safeword posted:

Everyone is too busy licking their wounds to finish off the Garlean empire, so they go dark and begin to rebuild.

Keep in mind that, despite the apparent world-ending scale in the cinematic, the Calamity was only really felt in Eorzea and its immediate environs; Garlemald and its territories were largely untouched. The reason the Garleans didn't try anything funny post-Calamity gets explained later on in the story.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Thanks again! I'm really drawn to this world and its characters, despite not usually being taken with JRPGs. Pitched with just the right amount of escalation and pathos.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Look forward to Keeper of the Lake, it's my favourite dungeon just for the music alone.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The lore between the Crystal Tower raid and Coil of Something or Other raid is my favorite lore in the game. I could make one of those stupid 30 minute Explained! videos about them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Vermain posted:

Keep in mind that, despite the apparent world-ending scale in the cinematic, the Calamity was only really felt in Eorzea and its immediate environs; Garlemald and its territories were largely untouched. The reason the Garleans didn't try anything funny post-Calamity gets explained later on in the story.
I thought it had ample impact elsewhere, the impact was just more like "That was a decently bad earthquake and it also rattled the feng shui" rather than

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Safeword posted:

Thanks again! I'm really drawn to this world and its characters, despite not usually being taken with JRPGs. Pitched with just the right amount of escalation and pathos.

it's really good. the guy who heads most of this is michael-christopher "koji" fox, and he is a pun-wielding menace who must be stopped that I am deeply, deeply in love with.

now I'm looking him up and apparently he had a hand in localizing FFXI, so it seems this fucker had a major role in the childhood breaking of my brain :argh:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I'm still sad we'll never get to see Silvertear Falls in all its glory.

It's loving beautiful.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

World War Mammories posted:

it's really good. the guy who heads most of this is michael-christopher "koji" fox, and he is a pun-wielding menace who must be stopped that I am deeply, deeply in love with.

now I'm looking him up and apparently he had a hand in localizing FFXI, so it seems this fucker had a major role in the childhood breaking of my brain :argh:

Pretty sure Koji is his real middle name.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/trademark_bot/status/1006122377980338179

:thunk:

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Honestly it's so dumb a name that I can actually buy it, especially with the latest story giving us SHADOW HUNTER.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I just ran Doma Castle for the first time.

This game is good!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Still waiting on Doma Castle (Hard) and the fight against Wrexsoul.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

So apparently the Rising instance only spawns four times a day for 3 hours, and then despawns. Has Komoto actually killed yoship and started wearing his skin as a suit? I can't even begin to understand why they would have thought this is a good idea.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm assuming the same person responsible for this is the same person who thought Coeurlregina's spawn timer was okay.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Safeword posted:

So am I understanding these Garlean jerks right:

Invade everyone else. Use their massive Fleet to crush opposition, run into dragons. Their flagship explodes and takes with it the majority of their military might.

Desperately summon a meteor to destroy everyone. Everyone proceeds to unite against them before it can drop.

Meteor actually turns out to be a giant egg. Bahamut pops out, causes calamity, is slain by the warriors of light.

Everyone is too busy licking their wounds to finish off the Garlean empire, so they go dark and begin to rebuild.

Is that roughly it?

You got the broad strokes but it sounds like are missing some of the context and details. I'll try and spell out the state of the game's world as it is at the start of 2.0, without going too much into spoilers.

The Garleans have small-man syndrome because they can't use magic, at all. This is a pretty big handicap in a world where magic is so prevalent that a marauder isn't a guy who uses an axe to crack skulls: a marauder is an axe-wizard who uses axe-magic to crack skulls. Because of this they were a pushover, until they invented machines that control magic (magitek) and started settling scores with their neighbors ~50 years prior to the start of the game. As of FFXIV 1.0, the Garleans have conquered basically the entirety of Ilsabard (the larger continent Eorzea hangs off of) and have started in on Eorzea by conquering Ala Mhigo.

The massive fleet from the 1.0 intro isn't the entire Garlean military, its the 14th legion which implies there's at least 13 other imperial legions hanging around. Eorzea is a relative backwater, and the Eorzean city states combined are very much the underdogs. They're vastly outnumbered, and even with superior numbers have trouble dealing with Garlean magitek.

The moon Dalamud isn't an egg, it's a space prison constructed by the ancient Allagan empire (whom the Garleans emulate, they're obsessed with digging up and studying old Allagan magitek) to house the primal Bahamut. The warriors of light don't stop Bahamut, elfgrampa Louisoix sends the warrior(s) of light away and then does something to stop Bahamut (finding out exactly what happened is the plot of the first raid set).

As for the last part, you kinda got it backwards. Post-calamity the Garleans are too busy licking their wounds (the 14th legion got their rear end kicked by the Biggest Dragon, and the 7th had their leader drop Dalamud/Bahamut on top of them) and focusing elsewhere to finish off the Eorzean alliance.

Part of the Garlean motivation for conquering everyone is that the Garlean emperor Solus is on a personal crusade to end the summoning of Primals. The leader of the 7th legion followed this logic to it's genocidal conclusion.

OtherworldlyInvader fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 28, 2018

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Thundarr posted:

So apparently the Rising instance only spawns four times a day for 3 hours, and then despawns. Has Komoto actually killed yoship and started wearing his skin as a suit? I can't even begin to understand why they would have thought this is a good idea.

Yoship has been busy working on 5.0, so Komoto seized the opportunity to regain control over the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thundarr posted:

I suspect it's something like "if we try to run this 100+ person instance at the wrong time it will cause our servers to literally implode"

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by
so we're gonna have two expansions the abbreviate to SB, huh

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm assuming the same person responsible for this is the same person who thought Coeurlregina's spawn timer was okay.

I've made peace with the fact I'm never going to get that achievement.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Actually, we don't know much about the composition of Garlean air fleets. AFAIK the Garleans only really had one big air fleet, with the Agrius described as not just a flagship but the flagship of the entire empire.

There's still quite a few juggernauts (the winged legged cylinders) and gunships of various stripes, but they're more combat/patrol craft than what I'd describe as an air battleship like the nameless designs seen in the 1.0 cinematic. Other than the civilian airship in the SB Alliance Raid and the Gration, the largest airship we've seen the Garleans field would be the transport Gaius is on in the ARR cinematic, the Castrum Meridianum duty, etc.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Guys the current patch lull and Eureka Pagos makes me want to play Wildstar instead.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Guys the current patch lull and Eureka Pagos makes me want to play Wildstar instead.

Things are kind of dire right now but let's not say things we can't take back.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I have plenty to play otherwise but wow this is probably the worst holiday event to date.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

isk posted:

I have plenty to play otherwise but wow this is probably the worst holiday event to date.

Luckily you can get enough tokens for the 2 earrings in one run.

Bigger problem is that the instance itself isn't great. I like the idea, but its just zerging a few big monsters and there's aoes that one shot you periodically.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I was actually thinking of doing pagos, now that's it's "fixed", but MHW saved me.

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010

Argas posted:

Actually, we don't know much about the composition of Garlean air fleets. AFAIK the Garleans only really had one big air fleet, with the Agrius described as not just a flagship but the flagship of the entire empire.

There's still quite a few juggernauts (the winged legged cylinders) and gunships of various stripes, but they're more combat/patrol craft than what I'd describe as an air battleship like the nameless designs seen in the 1.0 cinematic. Other than the civilian airship in the SB Alliance Raid and the Gration, the largest airship we've seen the Garleans field would be the transport Gaius is on in the ARR cinematic, the Castrum Meridianum duty, etc.

Don't forget the garlean airship we see in Azyz la, it is described in it's... sightseeing log? I think? As pretty much equal to the Agrius.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
The Gration, yeah. It's pretty much the Agrius 2.0 and is, I believe, Varis sas Galvus's personal warship? That, or Regula van Hydrus, as it sits in Azys Lla for presumably the whole of Heavensward. I don't know if it's still there canonically as of SB.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Grimace posted:

The Gration, yeah. It's pretty much the Agrius 2.0 and is, I believe, Varis sas Galvus's personal warship? That, or Regula van Hydrus, as it sits in Azys Lla for presumably the whole of Heavensward. I don't know if it's still there canonically as of SB.
Good thing Thordan didn't march out to temper 'em

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Huh, the PS4 version is changing the patch system on the 4th: https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/2b63219b37d83601618341b5a7876d9a6c72a774

TL;DR, it'll be done through PSN now instead of FFXIVLauncher. The updates will have to redownload because of this, (they'll pre-load it at some stage, was going to be today but it's been postponed) but once the migration is done it'll free a lot of space and hopefully alleviate the need to completely redownload everything if an archive gets hosed. I guess it'll also mean auto-patching if you have PS+.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:siren: EU folks! We're recruiting for statics again! For me details, see this thread on Catgirl Bargains! :siren:

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I think it also means that the ps4 will auto back up your config files too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

I think it also means that the ps4 will auto back up your config files too.

It already does, if you have PS+.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

The Grimace posted:

excuse me the proper middle name for the emperor is "zos" you plebe!!!!!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

kirbysuperstar posted:

Huh, the PS4 version is changing the patch system on the 4th: https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/2b63219b37d83601618341b5a7876d9a6c72a774

TL;DR, it'll be done through PSN now instead of FFXIVLauncher. The updates will have to redownload because of this, (they'll pre-load it at some stage, was going to be today but it's been postponed) but once the migration is done it'll free a lot of space and hopefully alleviate the need to completely redownload everything if an archive gets hosed. I guess it'll also mean auto-patching if you have PS+.

Well it's about time. Now if they can figure out how to synch UI, hotbar, and gearset settings between PC and PS4...

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Thundarr posted:

Well it's about time. Now if they can figure out how to synch UI, hotbar, and gearset settings between PC and PS4...

That is almost certainly coming next patch with the settings backup thing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

The lore between the Crystal Tower raid and Coil of Something or Other raid is my favorite lore in the game. I could make one of those stupid 30 minute Explained! videos about them.

I feel like I remember someone in this thread saying it's a bad idea to do this through Duty Finder. Is that true? I've unlocked both those raids and want to try them out, but I'm not sure if I should do through through Duty Finder.

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

(whom the Garleans emulate, they're obsessed with digging up and studying old Allagan magitek)

Isn't this also true of the empire in FF15?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 28, 2018

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Do CT through the Duty Finder for sure. You'll get paired up with a bunch of people doing their 24DR for the day and get into da b0ne z0ne.

For Coil, just grab some goons and do it unsynced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

By the way, my mind was blown when I realized that Gaius is an elf (or at least I'm pretty sure he is, since his posture is like that of elves). Same goes for Livia, though it was made explicit in her case.

Speaking of Livia, if I'm understanding her backstory correctly she apparently fell in love with her adoptive father? Between that and all the murder, she was pretty hosed up. The other dude with the shield arms seemed more chill.