Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Pre-meth Skinny Pete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Javid posted:

Pre-meth Skinny Pete.

Fat Peter.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Group therapy with Mike

forward pass
Dec 9, 2005

Y'all get back now.
lol Neelix!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Thought I was imagining things!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Kim :smith:

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
gently caress that judge
he's a loud eater ugh

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Javid posted:

Pre-meth Skinny Pete.

I was so sure that the guy Jimmy hired was going to be Skinny Pete and that was how he ended up in prison with Tuco.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Marc Evan Jackson has the best voice.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This hasn't been bad or anything but if the last ten minutes aren't amazing I'm pretty sure this is the worst episode of Better Call Saul.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Riptor posted:

what about the gif from Dexter of the girl eating salad in the most realistic way possible

In S01E01 of Dexter there's a background extra at a restaurant who's holding up a bagel with a banana through it.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Do Not Double Stack
Do Not Double Stack

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The painting scene alone made the hour worth it. The Mike & Gus scene was icing on the cake.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Maybe I'm a bad who looked at my phone, but how does Gus know Mike knows what Nacho did? How did he even know what Nacho did, just genius figured it all out because Nacho picked up his bosses spilled meds and gave them to paramedics when the paramedics specifically asked about what meds he was on?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Gus should show some fuckin gratitude. Nacho was decent enough to take aim and give Hector a fate worse than death. Mike's involvement with him should be the icing on the cake. He's got two new lackeys with similar aims and are willing to go on the down low to get poo poo done. Use the friendly manager persona with them, not the rear end in a top hat drug lord.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Sub Rosa posted:

Maybe I'm a bad who looked at my phone, but how does Gus know Mike knows what Nacho did? How did he even know what Nacho did, just genius figured it all out because Nacho picked up his bosses spilled meds and gave them to paramedics when the paramedics specifically asked about what meds he was on?

Victor tailed him after that and saw him ditch the fake pills

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Shitenshi posted:

Gus should show some fuckin gratitude. Nacho was decent enough to take aim and give Hector a fate worse than death. Mike's involvement with him should be the icing on the cake. He's got two new lackeys with similar aims and are willing to go on the down low to get poo poo done. Use the friendly manager persona with them, not the rear end in a top hat drug lord.

I buy him being in rear end in a top hat drug lord mode since Hector is suffering and it's not his fault. If he could have convinced Nacho to do the pill swap he'd be over the moon and Nacho would probably be incentivized to work for Gus as his guy in the Salamanca side of the operation, paid a lot of money, and given jobs that don't require to get shot up.

I've pointed it out before, but Gus' big weakness that got him killed was his vendetta against Hector, so while it's been a short-term strength to put Nacho under his thumb and possibly influence Mike to keep working with him, I also don't trust him to keep a clear head when Hector is involved, unless it's when Hector's dancing to his tune like what happened when he came to Pollos Hermanos. I think that scene had by far the most we've seen of Gus actually happy, and not just putting on some fake nice-guy manager smile and persona.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

We’re starting to see the seeds of why Stacy seems so distant to Mike in Breaking Bad. He really wasn’t happy to hear that she’s not thinking about his son as much anymore.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

We’re starting to see the seeds of why Stacy seems so distant to Mike in Breaking Bad. He really wasn’t happy to hear that she’s not thinking about his son as much anymore.

my takeaway was the reverse, that it was self-loathing there: he's doing the same thing she described, except he doesn't even recognize it and feel guilty anymore except when she brings it up.

he didn't come to that session because of his grief over his dead son or to support his daughter-in-law, he came because he wanted to show off by owning a liar in front of his quasi-girlfriend

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 28, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

eke out posted:

he wasn't happy because he's doing the same thing she described, except he doesn't even feel guilty about it anymore. he didn't come to that session because of his grief over his dead son or to support his daughter-in-law, he came because he wanted to show off by owning a liar in front of his quasi-girlfriend

I didn’t read it that way. The flashback at the beginning of the episode seemed to indicate he thinks about his son constantly.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

What's the name of the song that plays when Jimmy paints the windows?

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

It's this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vadik79q8A

Turn Off the Fear by Carl Rutherford

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I read a review that didn't like the flashback leading into the group therapy scene and then seeing therapy again later and what actually went down before his dialogue there, but I think it added a lot to it. You can interpret where his head's at on Matty a few different ways, but I think he's still thinking about him all the time, and when the faker comes in he can't stand someone faking the loss that he's living with every day.

Interesting though, that flashback in particular made me think of when Mike is there somberly helping them dispose of the kid that Todd shot, and I think by that point he's done and seen enough horrible stuff that this is just one more bit of black on an already black canvas. There was that other parallel to that situation too earlier when he goes to find the body of the good samaritan who got killed by the Cartel and "wasn't in the game," and of course you can't get much more out of the game than being some random kid out on a bike who sees the wrong thing.

I'm hoping they really build out the transition for Mike on where he ends up, because right now he's still got a long way to go until he's willing to kill just about anyone who needs killing and continue working with someone who's killed an innocent kid.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My DVR cut off in the middle of Mike’s meeting with Gus, what happened after that started?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

My DVR cut off in the middle of Mike’s meeting with Gus, what happened after that started?

Gus was mad that Mike had known about Nacho's plan to mess with Hector's meds and didn't tell him, Mike gave Gus some sass and then asked him to cut the crap and tell him what the job he needs done is. Then the episode ended so we'll see that next week.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
This episode was definitely one of the slower paced ones of this season, but it was still rife with intense, incredibly memorable moments. I can't express how enthralled I am that this show is exploring deeper and deeper into the psyches of its characters.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Gus tried to intimidate Mike and was kind of grumpy that Mike didn't tell him about Nacho's plan. Mike wasn't having any of that poo poo and cut right through his whole facade.

Mike: "So. What now? You gonna make a move, you better make it! But they're not gonna, are they? You brought me here because you have an ask. So why don't you stop running the game on me and just tell me about the job?"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Regy Rusty posted:

Gus was mad that Mike had known about Nacho's plan to mess with Hector's meds and didn't tell him, Mike gave Gus some sass and then asked him to cut the crap and tell him what the job he needs done is. Then the episode ended so we'll see that next week.
Thanks

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I don't know if this week's episode really was slower than usual, or if it just felt that way because I binged all the preceding ones at once a couple days ago.

Starting to agree with the sentiment that it would really be a lot more watchable if it dropped all at once.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

hailthefish posted:

I don't know if this week's episode really was slower than usual, or if it just felt that way because I binged all the preceding ones at once a couple days ago.

Starting to agree with the sentiment that it would really be a lot more watchable if it dropped all at once.

I agree. The end scene didn't even feel like a cliffhanger, rather just the episode ending in a whimper. Some cool vignettes in that hour of television, but really disconnected and with not really a single payoff.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Watching these badass scenes just makes the deaths of these characters even sadder. The Twins completely demolish a drug house and then later they are going to get killed with a car by Hank. Mike doesn't take poo poo from anyone and he's just going to get shot by Walt like it's nothing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Jimmy painting scene would've been a better episode ending.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I was thinking we were seeing the origins of Saul's drawerful of cell phones.

Bit disappointing that we didn't really get any advancement on the Mesa Verde plot, or what Kim went to the courthouse for last episode.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Same thing she did this week?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Selachian posted:

I was thinking we were seeing the origins of Saul's drawerful of cell phones.

We probably did, a little, yeah.

quote:

Bit disappointing that we didn't really get what Kim went to the courthouse for last episode.

Uh.. Yeah we did.

She told the judge she was just there to observe and he asked what she was doing and she answered that she was a solo practitioner doing banking law for Mesa Verde and the judge was like "lol don't hang around my courtroom hoping for some big case that's going to make you feel like an awesome hero lawyer, that's not how it works, go work for mesa verde and get rich and be happy, dummy"

Remember?

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Same thing she did this week?

..is a pretty safe assumption!

She's not gonna loving, like.. go to the courthouse and find out Mesa Verde is an evil meth front or whatever the gently caress, that was the dumbest theory and whoever came up with it should feel bad.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Like I said last week, Kim's reaction in Mesa Verde was her being overwhelmed. She realized "holy poo poo this one kind of thing is all I'm going to be doing for years, that's not why I became a lawyer". So she's hanging around the courtroom hoping to find something else to give her more purpose. And she didn't leave when the judge told her to because she's willing to take some public defender work - anything to make her feel less like she's stuck working for a bank forever.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Was that an N-Gage in the cell phone drawer in the intro?:lol:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Regy Rusty posted:

The Jimmy painting scene would've been a better episode ending.

Yeah, the show has a pattern where time goes by quickly near the season premiere and the finale, then the middle of the season is where the montages happen until we get to the next eventful moment in the characters' lives, in a "there are decades where nothing happens and weeks where decades happen" sense. The painting scene was good and Jimmy had all the time in the world to paint every letter perfect.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I'm just waiting for Jimmy to get fired for making a beautiful perfect advertisement without his boss's approval :allears:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

That would be a complete rehash of the Davis and Maine plot, but I can't think of any other way this can end.

E: any plot with Jimmy working for someone else is going to feel like a rehash. Just skip to Saul already.

oh jay fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

Like I said last week, Kim's reaction in Mesa Verde was her being overwhelmed. She realized "holy poo poo this one kind of thing is all I'm going to be doing for years, that's not why I became a lawyer". So she's hanging around the courtroom hoping to find something else to give her more purpose. And she didn't leave when the judge told her to because she's willing to take some public defender work - anything to make her feel less like she's stuck working for a bank forever.

Exactly, and not only that but it's the complete opposite of Jimmy from the first season, who couldn't wait to get out of public defending