Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

suck my woke dick posted:

I think you're discounting the possibility that Musk is actually enough of an immature FattyNerdTM that some moderate burnout and sleep deprivation is enough to make him think "lol I'll shitpost at those annoying stockholders on twitter and piss them off by loving with the stock price" is a perfectly good idea.

By 'loving with the stock price' he materially increased the value of the ~20% of outstanding $tsla shares he owns, which is unlawful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I'm gonna set up a company dedicated to providing top financial advice to tech millionaires. I'm gonna charge $50000 per consultation and it's just gonna be me emailing them "stop tweeting"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

fishmech posted:

Literally the only intent possible was personal gain.

Nope. He hates short sellers (and anyone who bets against Tesla/SpaceX), so maybe he wanted to gently caress them over big time. When the opportunity presented itself he jumped on it without consulting the board or the legal team.

Aside from that, he has always complained about how shortsighted the stock market is (and he is 100% correct) so he may have acted overeagerly in his (real) desire to take Tesla private.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Kommienzuspadt posted:

By 'loving with the stock price' he materially increased the value of the ~20% of outstanding $tsla shares he owns, which is unlawful

The stock went up for two days. Did he sell any then? It's significantly lower now.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dylan16807 posted:

The stock went up for two days. Did he sell any then? It's significantly lower now.

Exactly. If he sold any then he is totally hosed (and should be). If he didn’t though the only thing he is vulnerable to is damages lawsuits from individual investors.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Nope. He hates short sellers (and anyone who bets against Tesla/SpaceX), so maybe he wanted to gently caress them over big time. When the opportunity presented itself he jumped on it without consulting the board or the legal team.

Aside from that, he has always complained about how shortsighted the stock market is (and he is 100% correct) so he may have acted overeagerly in his (real) desire to take Tesla private.

lol, but the stock market is actually way too optimistic about Tesla. It's not like people are being "short-sighted" when they bet against it; they're just the only sane people who realize what a disaster the company is.

I'm also not remotely convinced that his desire to go private was motivated by anything other than being angry with short-sellers; if everyone was bullish about Tesla he would have always been fine keeping it public.

It's always a mistake to ascribe anything resembling intelligence to Elon Musk. He is a very dumb man, and most of his actions can be understood through that lens.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

enraged_camel posted:

Nope. He hates short sellers (and anyone who bets against Tesla/SpaceX), so maybe he wanted to gently caress them over big time.

That is literally about personal gain.

enraged_camel posted:

That is also literally about personal gain.

Do you really not get that?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dylan16807 posted:

doesn't matter. it still counts as bank robbery even if you leave the bank without any money

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

luxury handset posted:

doesn't matter. it still counts as bank robbery even if you leave the bank without any money
You have to at least try to take the money for it to be robbery.

fishmech posted:

That is literally about personal gain.
That is also literally about personal gain.
Okay fishmech, technically schadenfreude is "personal gain". Can we agree that he possibly didn't do it to make money, motivated just by pettiness?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

enraged_camel posted:

I don’t care about mankind. I actually hope we all die one day soon.

You should probably log off and talk to someone buddy.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

enraged_camel posted:

Exactly. If he sold any then he is totally hosed (and should be). If he didn’t though the only thing he is vulnerable to is damages lawsuits from individual investors.

Dylan16807 posted:

So you both think that the only possible way that this could have been a crime is if Musk made it all but utterly impossible to refute that he manipulated the stock price for personal financial gain? Are you loving high?

1. Elevated share price keeps the convertible bonds maturing in the next ~6m from requiring cash repayment

2. The release of false MNPI hammered short sellers and materially improved the bull position for the stock by artificially inflating the value of the company

3. The increase in value of the ~20% of outstanding shares that Musk owns both directly increases his net worth as well as gives him more valuable equity that he could have borrowed against

Dylan16807 posted:

You have to at least try to take the money for it to be robbery.

You are definitely high.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

suck my woke dick posted:

:hai:

I think you're discounting the possibility that Musk is actually enough of an immature FattyNerdTM that some moderate burnout and sleep deprivation is enough to make him think "lol I'll shitpost at those annoying stockholders on twitter and piss them off by loving with the stock price" is a perfectly good idea.

It was LSD

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Day Man posted:

It was LSD

According the 21st century historian Banks, it wasn’t even acid, it was a 50 year old billionaire nerd who just discovered weed.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Kommienzuspadt posted:

So you both think that the only possible way that this could have been a crime is if Musk made it all but utterly impossible to refute that he manipulated the stock price for personal financial gain? Are you loving high?
I'm not arguing if it's a crime or not, I'm saying there's a reasonable chance it wasn't for personal financial gain. I have no idea if manipulating a stock for funsies is illegal.

quote:

1. Elevated share price keeps the convertible bonds maturing in the next ~6m from requiring cash repayment

2. The release of false MNPI hammered short sellers and materially improved the bull position for the stock by artificially inflating the value of the company

3. The increase in value of the ~20% of outstanding shares that Musk owns both directly increases his net worth as well as gives him more valuable equity that he could have borrowed against

You are definitely high.
Don't 1 and 3, and the second half of 2 all require that the stock price stay elevated? There's no way in hell it's still elevated, is there?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dylan16807 posted:

Okay fishmech, technically schadenfreude is "personal gain". Can we agree that he possibly didn't do it to make money, motivated just by pettiness?

You see officer, I just robbed this Burger King for the schadenfreude, the money I temporarily had before you took it from me wasn't personal gain!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

fishmech posted:

You see officer, I just robbed this Burger King for the schadenfreude, the money I temporarily had before you took it from me wasn't personal gain!

I think the contention is that when you say someone did something "for personal gain" it implies that the key motivation was personal gain, rather than personal gain just being a side-effect (and since I don't think Musk actually sold anything, he didn't actually manage to gain anything*).

*just to be clear it's still totally a crime because it hosed over other people who bought/sold as a result of his actions, though

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

fishmech posted:

Literally the only intent possible was personal gain.

you're forgetting the intent of 'i am high as balls lets tweet'

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ytlaya posted:

I think the contention is that when you say someone did something "for personal gain" it implies that the key motivation was personal gain, rather than personal gain just being a side-effect (and since I don't think Musk actually sold anything, he didn't actually manage to gain anything*).

*just to be clear it's still totally a crime because it hosed over other people who bought/sold as a result of his actions, though

Personal gain is his primary goal though. That is who Elon Musk is.

evilweasel posted:

you're forgetting the intent of 'i am high as balls lets tweet'

That's how he's been running his company for a year plus now, so it doesn't change his intention. It's that idiot actor's "the ambien made me racist" poo poo all over again.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

fishmech posted:

I think the proper analogy is Musk driving his armoured truck through the front door of a Burger King, knocking over all the tables while inside, and using the contents of the cash register to draw a dickbutt on the "employees only" door with dollar bills before going back home.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 26, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
You are an idiot who is bad at analogies. If we're going to take this asinine premise, it would be an armed man forcing people to tear up their own money.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I love that we're in 11th dimensional chess mode about this.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

ITT everybody thinks they’re a lawyer and nobody has read the law

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Tesla has always felt like the next Delorean Motor Conpany and it appears one trillion Internet journalists agree.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Bobcats posted:

Tesla has always felt like the next Delorean Motor Conpany and it appears one trillion Internet journalists agree.

Except that the Delorean was a P.O.S. and the Tesla Model S outsold competitors like the Mercedes S Class etc.

Still doesn't excuse Musk's stream of fuckups.

The board needs to get someone who knows manufacturing into that company.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Bobcats posted:

Delorean actually knew how to build cars and didn't hop in from a completely unrelated industry with grand ideas about doing it which all boiled down to "cut as many corners as possible".

When you run things so poorly you have constant fires in your paint shop because its fire sprinklers are caked in paint

Good thread:

https://twitter.com/SarahTaber_bww/status/1033366531873366017

ryonguy fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 27, 2018

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
You guys read the UBS teardown of the Tesla 3? It's :discourse:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ryonguy posted:

Delorean actually knew how to build cars and didn't hop in from a completely unrelated industry with grand ideas about doing it which all boiled down to "cut as many corners as possible".

When you run things so poorly you have constant fires in your paint shop because its fire sprinklers are caked in paint

Good thread:

This post in her thread is nice:

https://twitter.com/SarahTaber_bww/status/1033366539326636032

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Captain, Lal has burst into flames. We have lost three decks and Commander Riker.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

I work in a massive factory and everything she says is correct. Holy poo poo, how can you not have things organized?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Solkanar512 posted:

I work in a massive factory and everything she says is correct. Holy poo poo, how can you not have things organized?

~disrupting~ the fire code!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

I think she cites yospos in that thread.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

withak posted:

I think she cites yospos in that thread.

yeah a tesla whistleblower was spilling the beans in yospos a few days ago, guest count went through the roof and richard shamefully did not put up the paywall

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

luxury handset posted:

yeah a tesla whistleblower was spilling the beans in yospos a few days ago, guest count went through the roof and richard shamefully did not put up the paywall

Tweet quoting of YOSPOS starts here:

https://twitter.com/atomicthumbs/status/1032939617404645376

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

VideoGameVet posted:

Except that the Delorean was a P.O.S. and the Tesla Model S outsold competitors like the Mercedes S Class etc.

IIRC the DeLorean was a good car on paper but build quality was bad due to huge amounts of cost-cutting?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC the DeLorean was a good car on paper but build quality was bad due to huge amounts of cost-cutting?

It was a rear engine (NOT mid-engine) design with horrid weight distribution (62% rear, about the same as the Corvair), and an underpowered (130hp) Peugeot engine (car weighed 2,844 lbs).

My 2000 Toy-Auto Echo has a better power to weight ratio.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ryonguy posted:

Good thread:

To make it easier to read that longass twitter thread https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1033366531873366017.html

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

VideoGameVet posted:

It was a rear engine (NOT mid-engine) design with horrid weight distribution (62% rear, about the same as the Corvair), and an underpowered (130hp) Peugeot engine (car weighed 2,844 lbs).

My 2000 Toy-Auto Echo has a better power to weight ratio.

TBF, that sort of power-to-weight ratio wasn’t too bad for the time, there were scads of Cadillacs, Lincolns, trucks, etc. with 160-175hp V8’s trying to drag 5000lbs around, and even the 1980 Corvette only got a ~180hp engine. The 1982 Mustang GT caused the press and enthusiasts to ejaculate all over themselves because it had a 175hp iron V8 in a 3200lb car. WOW!

It was a sluggish time, automotively speaking.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

VideoGameVet posted:

He needs to be shoved in a locker.

Yes, if someone who knew what they are doing was running Tesla it would be almost a good company.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BlueBlazer posted:

He needs to be shoved in a locker.

Yes, if someone who knew what they are doing was running Tesla it would be almost a good company.
They need to Trump him and remove his personal access to Twitter.

It was kind of neat in the days when someone would complain about something and he would respond with a positive change. That's what people want, not "my sub is feasible here's 15k wasted to show an edge case also gently caress you British diver guys"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
elon should be in a made up executive position to retain his nerd appeal for marketing reasons

chief ideas guy
director of futurist evangelism
principal vision originator