Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Bean posted:

I can't figure out what a prime pillar is, google isn't helping me. But I tried all the other settings in this thread and got this:

A prime pillar is another object you print alongside your original mesh

Here's an example. When you would print this traffic cone normally the extruder head would stay in the same area for a long time while printing the tip. This causes the layers to not cool down as much as they should normally and will warp the cone tip. If you print with a prime pillar, the head will have to travel away from the traffic cone on every layer, giving it time to properly cool down by distracting your extruder for a long enough time.

Printing a pyramid without a prime pillar might look like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
So, let me ask you this — I found one of those on thingieverse, but even if I didn’t, I could probably just model one in tinkercad in, like, seconds. How do I know how tall to make it? My slicer software doesn’t show a height.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
It's an automatic feature of the slicer software, not something you model yourself. Look in the advanced settings.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Helpful tips on printing miniatures :

https://www.reddit.com/r/PrintedMinis/comments/68umnm/a_detailed_guide_to_printing_your_minis/

Is the file you are printing a public one? If so I'll give it a whirl on my printers and see how they turn out, in case it's just the model that's hosed up.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Oh yeah, here's the little monk with the exploding knee/foot situation I'm playing with: https://www.shapeways.com/product/F9XRK98UL/halfling-monk?optionId=63882545&li=marketplace I'm mostly playing with him because he's tiny, so it doesn't blow that much time or filament to fool with, and my printer is having an obvious problem getting his foot together.

My slicer (the one that came with the printer) genuinely doesn't have a prime pillar option. I can post screen shots if you want. I loaded it into Cura proper, and Cura only lets me generate a prime pillar if I have a dual extruder. Cura also calls it a prime tower, probably to be obnoxious.

I'm fooling with the supports in meshmaster right now to give it another go, but for reasons I don't fully understand, Meshmaster thinks that the base needs to print up in the air.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, the software that comes with the monoprice is just a rebranded version of Cura.

I use Simplify3D, but I'll try a few diff slicers and see if I can help out. I'll try to have something ready to post by tonight.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Over the past 4 weeks I've helped build 58 Anet A8s. Never buy an Anet A8. The most surprising thing is that only one of them almost caught fire.

The most confusing out of the box defect I ran into was that they had M3 tapped the 4 corners of the bottom piece of metal that the bed is secured to, by wingnut, instead of drilling an oversized smooth hole that would be useful for bed levelling. In all 4 corners.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Did a school district decide to make a terrible investment or do you do this for your own pleasure.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

IANAL but I'm pretty sure it's not arson if it bursts into flames while printing a fire extinguisher, 58 times.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Megabound posted:

Over the past 4 weeks I've helped build 58 Anet A8s. Never buy an Anet A8. The most surprising thing is that only one of them almost caught fire.

The most confusing out of the box defect I ran into was that they had M3 tapped the 4 corners of the bottom piece of metal that the bed is secured to, by wingnut, instead of drilling an oversized smooth hole that would be useful for bed levelling. In all 4 corners.

How have they been producing that printer for so long, had so many horrible experiences reported to them and still not have a consistent design and workflow.

Like tell me to design and source enough for 20 repraps and I can probably do that for you and I'll have a good workflow and mistakes will slowly stop happening.

But I just don't under how mass manufacturing doesn't lead to workflow

Also woodfill update

Mask has been clear coated and nearly finished for Halloween

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

moron izzard posted:

Did a school district decide to make a terrible investment or do you do this for your own pleasure.

I was tutoring at a summer camp for the past 4 weeks running the 3D printing program. I eventually flashed all the boards with the latest Marlin to have some semblance of protection. We also laser cut out PSU protectors and put in strain releif for the mains connectors because that poo poo it downright dangerous.

Jestery posted:

Also woodfill update

Mask has been clear coated and nearly finished for Halloween

This is dope.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Gonna see if I can get the stupid Makerbot Replicator 2s at work to print below .15mm layer height tomorrow at work. It's an amount of detail that we'd probably never need but I haven't found a minimum resolution for the things online and I'm curious. The company I work at bought these machines two years ago and have not done any maintenance/cleaning on them at all, which I did last week in like an hour. Before that they couldn't print below .3mm and were prone to fail. We've also got a 5th gen Makerbot that is even worse, but I have no idea how to clean it without breaking the warranty because Makerbot is great.

Also gonna compare Amazon Basics, Matterhackers, and Hatchbox filament to Makerbot PLA over the next few weeks. I'll share my preference at the end but I can't post pics of anything I produce in shop.

Putty fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 26, 2018

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I had a FlashForge creator, which is essentially a Makerbot clone and I printed at .1mm just fine. I can't remember if I tried .05 or not or if that was my i3.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well... that sucked.

I tried printing multiples on Cura set far apart so they would have more time to cool, but I gotta work on my retraction because I had a lot of loops.

S3D worked ok, until the leg broke off at the foot and I ended up with a partial monk glued to the hot end.

Lesson learned, printing minis is loving annoyingly hard.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
a search in this thread for "mini" indicates as much, yes

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Megabound posted:

I was tutoring at a summer camp for the past 4 weeks running the 3D printing program. I eventually flashed all the boards with the latest Marlin to have some semblance of protection. We also laser cut out PSU protectors and put in strain releif for the mains connectors because that poo poo it downright dangerous.

One of my chineseium printers is an A8. Flashing Marlin is a good first step, but you also should take care of the hardware deficits. The connectors used to supply heat bed power are grossly underrated for the current required. They WILL melt eventually, possibly causing a fire, so you need to both direct solder the wires to the heatbed and make sure the heatbed power is relayed through a mosfet.

https://3dprint.wiki/reprap/anet/a8#improvements

It's not too difficult, but I pity you if you have to do it on 58 of them and go through releveling again.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Project done, not bad for a week or two

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Bean posted:

I can't figure out what a prime pillar is, google isn't helping me. But I tried all the other settings in this thread and got this:

Again, the picture makes him look worse off than he is. I broke off the supports on the right side. He's really not so bad, but as I broke off the supports, I noticed his little knee blew out on the printer again.

I tried this as my step two! His knee looks better, but those supports that meshmixer generates are thicc. I tore up the figure taking them off (even the little knee that printed correctly).

Maybe I need to just use meshmixer to support the knee?

For reference, I'm using a Monoprice Maker Select 3D Printer V2. It came with a slicer, that's what I've been slicing with. The Internet say it came with Cura, but it doesn't feel like any copy of Cura I've ever known.

Don't mix supports. If you're using mesh mixer tree supports don't use the normal supports in your slicer.

Also you might want to play around with the tree support settings to make them a bit thinner etc.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Is anybody following the drama/shitstorm between Marlin and Creality? Because :lol:

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Is anybody following the drama/shitstorm between Marlin and Creality? Because :lol:

I saw a very little bit of it a couple days ago, but now I can’t find it. Any links to it?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Thorpe posted:

I saw a very little bit of it a couple days ago, but now I can’t find it. Any links to it?

This person is very upset about it.

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1033263634124886016

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Wow that's a quick turn around to Company man toadie

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

EngineerJoe posted:

Wow that's a quick turn around to Company man toadie

I like the comparison to Nestle, what with their recent troubles with lead-poisoned noodles and water price gouging in drought-affected areas and other issues.

mewse
May 2, 2006

She doesn't seem to understand the GPL. If they don't comply with the license then they are committing copyright infringement, that's not "because you should", it's because it's literally a crime if you don't

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

mewse posted:

She doesn't seem to understand the GPL. If they don't comply with the license then they are committing copyright infringement, that's not "because you should", it's because it's literally a crime if you don't

I'm not a fan of "Good luck enforcing your petty licensing requests, Westerners!" but she does have something of a point when she talks about them calling for boycotts of the only company that was taking any steps towards GPL compliance and publishing their information, and how that was a really dumb move.

On the other hand, Marlin devs do that to each other every time a feature development process starts.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Yeah y'all might want to actually click through to the actual multi tweet response.

edit: hmm thanks for the insight scott

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1033904281668210688

vvvv stick that bad boy on the side of the roll vvv

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 27, 2018

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
filaments dot ca what the hell am i supposed to do with this? certainly not display it proudly

e: i also somehow sent this back in time to 1998 me to resize

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PlaneGuy fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 27, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

moron izzard posted:

Yeah y'all might want to actually click through to the actual multi tweet response.

That would involve knowing how to use twitter

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, having made a drybox for my Alloy910 a few months back, I can now report that Alloy910 starts misbehaving at around 18% humidity.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Tried some 3dsolutech "clear" PLA today and it must either be wrapped on that spool tight or softer than normal PLA because it stripped like a motherfucker on the first print. Never had that happen before with the Prusa. But after babysitting it a second attempt worked out nicely.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I ordered some temperature and humidity sensors from eBay (five pack) and while they all agree on the temperature, none of then even remotely agree on the humidity. If I'd have bought just one I'd take the reading for granted probably but lining up all five is a real eye opener.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Mister Sinewave posted:

I ordered some temperature and humidity sensors from eBay (five pack) and while they all agree on the temperature, none of then even remotely agree on the humidity. If I'd have bought just one I'd take the reading for granted probably but lining up all five is a real eye opener.

What are the readings and what do you think truth is?

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Mister Sinewave posted:

I did this once, but I ordered analog dial-type ones because I didn't want to deal with batteries. They all show different values but I just left them out in open air for a couple hours and then marked the needle position at "ambient", which was 40%ish on my digital weather station.
For digital meters I guess it's a little more awkward.

I haven't purchased any yet, but I'm kinda interested in this sort of indicator card.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Well, I don't really need the actual humidity level. I just want to see if it's increasing or decreasing inside my dry box.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Forgot to mention last night that the "Elephant Foot Compensation" in SlicerPE works well! I think I'll add a little more squish on my first layer since a small compensation eliminated the elephant foot I was having.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

moron izzard posted:

edit: hmm thanks for the insight scott

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1033904281668210688

Welp, the Marlin dev had a meltdown about this last night and called for the doxxing of "Naomi Wu".

Kind of hard to maintain the moral high ground when you try to have a woman targeted for harassment.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Well, I don't really need the actual humidity level. I just want to see if it's increasing or decreasing inside my dry box.

Here is what I use. When they get really pink I just throw all the gel packs (non color changing ones also) into the oven for 2 hours or so. Let them cool and they are recharged.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1UT6L6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

moron izzard posted:

if i'm gonna use it i'm gonna try and figure out how to run filament right through the mouth

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

PlaneGuy posted:

if i'm gonna use it i'm gonna try and figure out how to run filament right through the mouth

But that would be the exact opposite of what he wants!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
‘Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand’ - Creality (probably)