Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I watched Season 1 and 2 and really enjoyed seeing these group of idiots bumble between success and utter failure. Out of the main four, I probably like Aqua the least though. The other three bring some degree of common sense at times, but Aqua makes terrible decisions all the time to the detriment of the party, to the point I feel like she's a load to the group. It does make her getting some comeuppance a lot funnier though. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
aqua's terrible and actively drags down everyone else, but she drags herself down even harder.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

amigolupus posted:

I watched Season 1 and 2 and really enjoyed seeing these group of idiots bumble between success and utter failure. Out of the main four, I probably like Aqua the least though. The other three bring some degree of common sense at times, but Aqua makes terrible decisions all the time to the detriment of the party, to the point I feel like she's a load to the group. It does make her getting some comeuppance a lot funnier though. :v:

Aqua being bullied gives me immense joy. A warm fuzzy feeling, like in a delightful Christmas flick for the family.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Takoluka posted:

I absolutely love the whole "I can make them any age?" bit, because you're like "...Oh boy," and then Kazuma gets really excited about her being an older woman.

my favourite part is how you can see the succubus becoming visibly and increasingly disgusted with kazuma

even succubi have standards

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

amigolupus posted:

You just explained why Aqua slowly surpassed Megumin and Darkness as my favorite.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Everybody else has something deeply wrong built straight into their character build. Darkness has no offense, Megumin has... nothing but all-out offense, and Kazuma is just kind of okay all-around.

Aqua's character build is literally perfect for her role, and so her weakness has to be constant bad decisions about how to actually use her abilities.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Aqua did nothing wrong.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

She kept trying to purify Wiz, that’s crime enough

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
She shouldn't even have been able to, Wiz is already the purest character in this story.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Agronox posted:

Aqua did everything wrong.

And I wouldn't have her any other way.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

The Sandman posted:

She shouldn't even have been able to, Wiz is already the purest character in this story.

Unfortunately she is a Lich (i mean a Rich-e.)
No matter how pure Wiz is, she cannot escape the downsides of being technically-undead.

Although that brings up another point, Keel was a pretty cool dude despite being a more-proper Lich (rich-e.)

While Aqua is Aqua. And the Church of Axel is :stonk:

Guys I think this is a JRPG what with how cool and awesome the typical bad guys are and how bad an established religion is.

Rand Brittain posted:

Aqua's character build is literally perfect for her role, and so her weakness has to be constant bad decisions about how to actually use her abilities.

Aqua's chief weakness is that aside from things that she High Priest to pieces (via Exorcism/Turn Undeadto) she's 100% blunt damage. And not even the good 'in your face with a mace' kind. Hence her problems with the fat frogs who are too fat to feel God's Blow :v:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

Aqua's chief weakness is that aside from things that she High Priest to pieces (via Exorcism/Turn Undeadto) she's 100% blunt damage. And not even the good 'in your face with a mace' kind. Hence her problems with the fat frogs who are too fat to feel God's Blow :v:

I took it more as a Smite Evil kind of move and the blunt aspect is minimal. The frogs just aren't evil.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
god blow is just a normal punch that aqua expects to work wonders because she shouts out the name she made up

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

amigolupus posted:

Aqua's got the best stats(except int) and most practical build(she had so many skill points that she got every single relevant arch priest spell and still had leftovers for tons of worthless party tricks), so she should be the most useful of all of them. Except she's the dumbest, most selfish, and most arrogant of all of them, so she ends up shooting herself(and everyone around her) in the foot constantly to compensate.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Aqua is like Inspector Clouseau in that her stupidity is like 2% actually having low intelligence and 98% failure to recognize her own limitations, so that she never, ever, considers doing things differently or avoids making her mistakes a second time.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
As I read volume 6, I feel bad for Kazuma. I don't sympathize with his failures, as his mistakes are just....mind-numbingly bad choices that are gross and not okay, but....jesus, you can't help but feel sad for the little idiot who can't stop touching the hot stove. He's never going to learn, is he?

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

Shinjobi posted:

As I read volume 6, I feel bad for Kazuma. I don't sympathize with his failures, as his mistakes are just....mind-numbingly bad choices that are gross and not okay, but....jesus, you can't help but feel sad for the little idiot who can't stop touching the hot stove. He's never going to learn, is he?

If anyone ever learned anything this whole series would be one volume long at max.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

where the red fern gropes posted:

my favourite part is how you can see the succubus becoming visibly and increasingly disgusted with kazuma

even succubi have standards

I interpreted that more as just 'annoyed customer service succubus' because he's making her repeat herself with his 'Is this okay? Is this okay? Can I do it like this?' questions.

Maybe I'm projecting, though.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Wasn't there a side story early on where Kazuma and the bigshot hero with the magic sword end up swapping parties? IIRC Kazuma turns out to be a tactical genius, Ramboing all his low level stealth skills and combining magical elements to produce unique effects that nobody ever thought of before. The bigshot ends up traumatised as he doesn't discover the weakspots of Darkness and Megumin until they end up in the middle of combat, meanwhile Aqua treats him exactly as she normally treats Kazuma and as it turns out Mr Hero is useless without proper support.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Verizian posted:

Wasn't there a side story early on where Kazuma and the bigshot hero with the magic sword end up swapping parties? IIRC Kazuma turns out to be a tactical genius, Ramboing all his low level stealth skills and combining magical elements to produce unique effects that nobody ever thought of before. The bigshot ends up traumatised as he doesn't discover the weakspots of Darkness and Megumin until they end up in the middle of combat, meanwhile Aqua treats him exactly as she normally treats Kazuma and as it turns out Mr Hero is useless without proper support.

no.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Verizian posted:

Close, but it was Dust who swapped with Kazuma, not the bigshot. Dust is the blonde guy who gave Kazuma the Free Succ tickets. He actually has his own spinoff that I haven't read yet.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Verizian posted:

Wasn't there a side story early on where Kazuma and the bigshot hero with the magic sword end up swapping parties?

There's an unadapted chapter from volume 2 where Kazuma swaps places with one of the normal adventurer side characters (Dust), but it's not with the magic sword guy.

efb;

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

My favorite part of that swap is Dust's party basically realizing that they would benefit greatly from having Kazuma as a 4th but knowing deep down that Aqua, Megumin, and Darkness need him to survive together.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Verizian posted:

It is part of the actual story of volume 2. It happens at the beginning after Kazuma was killed by the Winter Shogun. He swaps places with Dust for one adventure.

EDIT: Super beaten!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Takoluka posted:

My favorite part of that swap is Dust's party basically realizing that they would benefit greatly from having Kazuma as a 4th but knowing deep down that Aqua, Megumin, and Darkness need him to survive together.

This point is brought up again in volume 6, where someone threatens Kazuma with a far more terrifying solution: places could be made for Darkness/Aqua/Megumin in a large force, like an army, where there's enough support for them to utilize their strengths while having other soldiers/knights/mages/etc cover for their weaknesses. On the other hand, the same can't be said for Kazuma. He has no lone strength, save for his luck which manifests in ways beyond his control. You could put together an army to finish off the Demon King's forces, and Kazuma would just have to watch from the sidelines, all alone.

This shakes Kazuma to the core, as he can't really deny it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Shinjobi posted:

This point is brought up again in volume 6, where someone threatens Kazuma with a far more terrifying solution: spoiler

Those poor bastards. Suggesting that. What are they thinking?

Darkness would do well but Aqua/Megumin are perfectly capable of leveling an army by themselves. Also any army with Aqua would have to deal with Undead all the time. I just don't see it working out.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Aqua being catnip for undead is probably one of my favourite things about this show.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The problem is more that it assumes that Aqua, Megumin, and Darkness together aren't perfectly capable of destroying their own side's army.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Shinjobi posted:

This point is brought up again in volume 6, where someone threatens Kazuma with a far more terrifying solution: places could be made for Darkness/Aqua/Megumin in a large force, like an army, where there's enough support for them to utilize their strengths while having other soldiers/knights/mages/etc cover for their weaknesses. On the other hand, the same can't be said for Kazuma. He has no lone strength, save for his luck which manifests in ways beyond his control. You could put together an army to finish off the Demon King's forces, and Kazuma would just have to watch from the sidelines, all alone.

I feel like this is badly underselling Kazuma's abilities, honestly. Kazuma's greatest strength in practice isn't that he's lucky(which, as stated, typically manifests in abilities beyond his control and frequently does nothing for him), it's that he's smart and good at adapting to situations on the fly. He's basically always the one who somehow cobbles together a way to succeed with a dysfunctional mess of a group, and his ability to shine in the party swap despite being an unspecialized all-rounder in a weak class speaks very well of him beyond being a lucky mooch on more specialized party members.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kanos posted:

I feel like this is badly underselling Kazuma's abilities, honestly. Kazuma's greatest strength in practice isn't that he's lucky(which, as stated, typically manifests in abilities beyond his control and frequently does nothing for him), it's that he's smart and good at adapting to situations on the fly. He's basically always the one who somehow cobbles together a way to succeed with a dysfunctional mess of a group, and his ability to shine in the party swap despite being an unspecialized all-rounder in a weak class speaks very well of him beyond being a lucky mooch on more specialized party members.

Well, you're not wrong, but you're also not entirely right from my perspective. He's fully capable of all that, but it's always a coin flip as to whether or not his plan will work. Kazuma's strength aside from luck is that he's able to think so drastically outside the box. His plans may not always work out, but usually his luck can at least cover for the rest. I feel like he's like a fountain of "that's just crazy enough to work," with a success rate over 50%. That's not to belittle his achievements; I really don't think anyone else could have concocted some of his schemes, even some of the other resurrected people. Still though, to your point: he is more than just his luck stat.

It really can't be overstated just how much of a godsend it was that he learned Drain Touch from Wiz.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
He's got a gamer's instincts to look for exploits. He's frequently working under incorrect assumptions about the world (Orcs, Slimes) but he does notice stuff like 'Oh hey I can learn busted skills from Wiz' or even more mundane stuff like 'these two spells or abilities combo really well'.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Isn't his luck stat obscenely high, like ... max?

Maybe his plans working are actually due to his luck stat.

Problem is there might be some Magician Bink poo poo going on (I know that is a self-own) and his luck stat is self-aware that if he succeeds too much he's escape this world and no longer have his luck to help him succeed.

Kazuma's failures are to ensure continuing success :v:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Ranzear posted:

Isn't his luck stat obscenely high, like ... max?

Maybe his plans working are actually due to his luck stat.

Problem is there might be some Magician Bink poo poo going on (I know that is a self-own) and his luck stat is self-aware that if he succeeds too much he's escape this world and no longer have his luck to help him succeed.

Kazuma's failures are to ensure continuing success :v:

Yeah, his luck makes him lucky enough not to stand out as too improbably lucky, so he doesn't get targeted over it for one reason or another.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Holy poo poo, I never realized Xanth is as old as Star Wars and still going. I'll still spoiler tag it because the early books aren't that bad. The best book in the series (Demon's Don't Dream) is totally isekai now that I think of it.

It's the coolest thing in the first book of the worst fantasy series ever, because Bink's talent is that he cannot be harmed by magical means, but if someone came to know that they would just run his rear end through with a sword, so it's self-aware enough to prevent magical means of finding out what its nature is as well. So it hides its nature from everyone including Bink (leading to him getting exiled for having no apparent talent.)

Magical death barrier? Happens to get swept underwater through the only gap. Try to polymorph him? A swarm of gnats gets in your way and get transformed instead. I forget other instances because I haven't touched that trash in years.

A luck stat that is self-aware enough to keep things just barely on the rails is such a nice narrative exploit, but I'm sure I'm overthinking it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yes, they really are that bad

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

They really are, it's just that the later books are worse.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The early ones are subtle enough that kids can't figure out why they're wrong. Then eventually you get to, oh, let's say Faun and Games and even at twelve you can see that something is up.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Ranzear posted:

Holy poo poo, I never realized Xanth is as old as Star Wars and still going. I'll still spoiler tag it because the early books aren't that bad. The best book in the series (Demon's Don't Dream) is totally isekai now that I think of it.

It's the coolest thing in the first book of the worst fantasy series ever, because Bink's talent is that he cannot be harmed by magical means, but if someone came to know that they would just run his rear end through with a sword, so it's self-aware enough to prevent magical means of finding out what its nature is as well. So it hides its nature from everyone including Bink (leading to him getting exiled for having no apparent talent.)

Magical death barrier? Happens to get swept underwater through the only gap. Try to polymorph him? A swarm of gnats gets in your way and get transformed instead. I forget other instances because I haven't touched that trash in years.

A luck stat that is self-aware enough to keep things just barely on the rails is such a nice narrative exploit, but I'm sure I'm overthinking it.

there was a companion point-and-click computer adventure game that is based on demons don’t dream.

that is the only exposure to the xanth series that I’ve had or will ever have

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
wasn't this the series with a book called The Color Of Her Panties? That really would bring things full circle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

DKD posted:

wasn't this the series with a book called The Color Of Her Panties? That really would bring things full circle

It is, and somehow as a tween this did not set off my DANGER alarm. I probably read twenty of the drat things.