Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

CJacobs posted:

If you already knew that valve hadn't been doing the extensive playtesting before HL2 then why did you assume that's what I meant anyway? Surely in that case one would say "the thing I'm about to reply with isn't the case, so maybe he worded it weird and he actually does know what he means to say" instead of being a pedant

Deliberately misinterpreting people in order to call them stupid and earn points is like the only sport that matters on SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CJacobs posted:

If you already knew that valve hadn't been doing the extensive playtesting before HL2 then why did you assume that's what I meant anyway? Surely in that case one would say "the thing I'm about to reply with isn't the case, so maybe he worded it weird and he actually does know what he means to say" instead of being a pedant

Taken at its face your original post seemed to indicate that "back in the day" valve took player feedback with a grain of salt but this idea is based off of one game, their first game, when they didn't have the manpower, facilities, or financing to do a lot player testing like they did afterwards. All their other games (including the aforementioned goldsrc mods) were iterated through player feedback, so it just seems wrong to me to call valve a "key example" of a company that used to do it right or whatever cuz from the trend it looks to me like that was more a function of just not having the resources to do much testing and not that they changed their ways. Iirc valve's playtesting/iteration style for hl2 and beyond was actually the focus of a few articles on how unique it was at the time but i could just be misremembering that

Why are you always so defensive and snippy when someone disagrees with you

site fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 28, 2018

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
Which of the Quake 1 map jams are your favorites?

I think I have to say the Egyptian one is mine. Something about that aesthetic and a lot of those maps are really well designed.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
The Egyptian retrojam is heckin' awesome yeah. Also (off the top of my head) Jam 6 Fire and Brimstone, and Jam 9 Contract Revoked.

Jam 2 (IKblue / IKwhite) is probably a close runner-up. It was more uneven but had a few truly unique looks in there.

I like to see the Quake mappers continue to put out "real" complete (tested, balanced, polished) releases occasionally rather than just jam jam jam all the time, but the hit percentage in these jams is kind of crazy high.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
QC:DE is getting a large update on Friday, adding some new single player functionality (monster randomizer, heretic monsters + support for custom monster themes), rockets-only mode, a bunch of new DM maps (including demakes of old favorites like Campgrounds and The Bad Place), and two new playable classes (Captain Swearword and Eradicator)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s355DxNdDlU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

anatomi posted:

So if Valce outsourced Episode 3/HL 3 development, which studio would you prefer take the reins?

The EYE divine cybermancy cats

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

verbal enema posted:

The EYE divine cybermancy cats

HELL fuckin yeha

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
pay them to HD remake their game that's even more of a Sven Coop clone than EYE, but you're Gordon Freeman somehow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBG5Oq-WZ7Y

also pay them to make EYE 2, please and thank you

e; this guy said "that looks like the end of a pipe from EYE" and now I feel a deep spiritual connection to them

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Aug 28, 2018

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Are we game developers now

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I've had extremely vivid dreams about being in multiple levels of EYE Divine Cybermancy that don't actually exist in the waking world so I'm incredibly well prepared to work on the next EYE game

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Shadow Hog posted:

Get a pad and a pencil and get ready to make some honest-to-God notes of every little blurb the game throws your way, because it likes to tell you what needs to be done well before you're in a position to do it, doesn't update the things that tell you what you need to do after you've done it, and doesn't explicitly tell you what you should actively be doing. At least if you manually keep track of the gameplay beats it throws your way, you might stand a chance of remembering what it is you have to do if you decide to take a break for a lengthy period of time; my own playthrough is likely a lost cause since I stopped midway through the first hub years ago, and going back to it revealed that I have no idea where I have and haven't been anymore, and can't tell which hints I've already solved the puzzles for and which ones remain to yet be done.

Also whack everything. Even walls. They went all-out on destructible environments and it kinda owns. I don't think progression is locked behind smashing open a hidden wall (anything you need to smash open is fairly obvious), but you can find hidden stashes of goodies this way, so don't pass that up.

Ooh, you were not kidding about Hexen II. I just finished the first episode and there were a couple times where I found something and didn't know exactly where to go next. I also had a to use a walkthrough to find out that I needed to break stained glass windows to reach an area, but outside of that just wandering around did the trick.

TalkingBasically
Aug 19, 2018
no difficulty

Only registered members can see post attachments!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

A brief review of Doom 2 levels, based on my impressions of them:

- Entryway is solid Doom, a fun intro level. The outdoor area with the shotgun was rad.
- Underhalls is a really neat nested egg of a level. Returning to the hub multiple times is neat, and I like the house and just how neat it is. The music is A+.
- Gantlet - eh. It was okay, not really memorable.
- The Focus was also mediocre, and... worse, it doesn't feel like Doom? Like, it gave me the vibe of playing a different FPS game. Not really a fan.
- The Waste Tunnels: my least favorite so far. Confusing, dark (even with tweaked light settings), and just not... fun. Like, the places with the cages were neat, and getting a shot and whirling around and going "WHO SHOT ME" was neat, but I was so, so happy to leave that level behind.

I'm gonna play more today, but looking at the wiki - huh. The levels I don't like were made by American McGee, and he worked on the stuff I was meh about on the fourth episode back in Doom. Like, he can make some wicked levels, but they're just not... Doom, in the way I think of Doom. Not to my taste at all.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Doom 2's levels are mostly not very good. The best thing Doom 2 did however was add the greatest FPS weapon and pretty much the perfect enemy roster. They're varied, unique, fun to fight, and compliment each other perfectly.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ponzicar posted:

Until someone figures out a way for a regular game, bought once, to rake in more money than the hats/lootboxes revenue model, we're not going to see a Half Life sequel.

People keep saying this, but it's not like HL3/Episode 3 wouldn't just absolutely print money for Valve.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

People keep saying this, but it's not like HL3/Episode 3 wouldn't just absolutely print money for Valve.

It would generate less net profit than not making HL3 at all and just making more hats for DotA 2.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah TBH Half-Life may be the Holy Grail of PC gaming, but it's never been anywhere near as popular as Halo or basically any of the big esports/microtransaction engines. Or even Portal. "A license to print money" is a bit of a stretch. It's not totally out of the question, but it's not a guaranteed hit.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
speaking of old Valve, here:

(X)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah TBH Half-Life may be the Holy Grail of PC gaming, but it's never been anywhere near as popular as Halo or basically any of the big esports/microtransaction engines. Or even Portal. "A license to print money" is a bit of a stretch. It's not totally out of the question, but it's not a guaranteed hit.

There was a window of time in which a Half-Life 3 announcement would have been the hypest thing ever but now it's on the same overcooked level as DNF.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Absolutely nuts to me that a company with as much money as Valve wouldn't just want to make Half Life 3 for the creative and artistic fulfillment. YES I know that's not how the industry or real life works shut up!!!

Parachute
May 18, 2003
y'all know valve are waiting for just the exact right time to announce HL3. when that will be is uncertain

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm pretty sure an interview from a few years back said that they've started and stopped development on HL3 several times, but they felt like they needed to come up with something "special" in the same way HL2's gravity gun and overall physics system was.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

After the fall of human civilization, when all people of the world are huddled around dimming fires beneath a mile-thick layer of radioactive fallout, Chief Gaben will etch a single crude lambda into the rock wall, followed by a three. The priests and kestrels of his tribe will holler and howl like apes before the monolith. Half-Life 3. The final game. The only game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

After the fall of human civilization, when all people of the world are huddled around dimming fires beneath a mile-thick layer of radioactive fallout, Chief Gaben will etch a single crude lambda into the rock wall, followed by a three. The priests and kestrels of his tribe will holler and howl like apes before the monolith. Half-Life 3. The final game. The only game.

He'll etch the lambda into the only door out of the fallout shelter, and whenever someone goes through it he says "welcome to half-life 3" and locks it behind them.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
When Gaben dies his body will disappear Jedi style leaving only a pile of clothes and a single flash drive containing a series of cryptic directions ultimately leading to an abandoned salt mine in Georgia. Inside will be a single server containing the only playable copy of Half Life 3 along with a sarcastic butler who is the only living descendant of the Knight's Templar, who has modified the game such that all characters are now replaced with sonic and friends and

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Convex posted:

When Gaben dies his body will disappear Jedi style leaving only a pile of clothes and a single flash drive containing a series of cryptic directions ultimately leading to an abandoned salt mine in Georgia. Inside will be a single server containing the only playable copy of Half Life 3 along with a sarcastic butler who is the only living descendant of the Knight's Templar, who has modified the game such that all characters are now replaced with sonic and friends and
(img - man reaching past a lineup of dust-caked usb thumbsticks labelled with things like "HL3 Gold Master", "Episode 3 Final Build" etc. towards a scratched-up old CD-R labelled "MY 2000-PAGE NOVEL WHERE SONIC AND BATMAN KISS" in sharpie while the old knight from last crusade watches on and nods in solemn approval dot webp)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Well Doom 2016 both works on my laptop and clearly understands what it is to be a Doom game, so :black101:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Well Doom 2016 both works on my laptop and clearly understands what it is to be a Doom game, so :black101:

Its really good times. I just wish you moved faster and you could turn off the animations for glory kills.

I've been tempted to try to find a way with cheat engine to enable the speed and berserk powerups permanently. I would LOVE to play through Doom 2016 with permanent speed and punching ability. It'd be like 10x as good, but Id are too stubborn to see that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Very important doom question

Which color gloves do you use with smoothdoom

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Mod Corner - Half-Life: Echoes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nITrAwChI0E

quote:

"Echoes does what Hunt Down the Freeman tried and failed to do."

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Diabetes Forecast posted:

(X)

I knew what this would be a reference to before clicking that link. An absolute classic.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Echoes owns hard and brought me fully back into 1998 for the short time it lasted.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Diabetes Forecast posted:

(X)

https://cracker-patches.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/door-stuckers

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I am incredibly upset that it's sold out. I don't even have a jacket to put that on and i'd still want it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That's just... :discourse:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

site posted:

Very important doom question

Which color gloves do you use with smoothdoom

Brown babey. Black gloves? What is this, the Doom movie?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The brown gloves would be fine if they were a reasonable shade of brown, and not just Doomguy flesh colour.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Doomguy 64 had the best gloves

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dear Doom 2: this is not good level design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dear Doom 2: this is not good level design.

I like Tricks and Traps for the most part. Although the exit area is a real gently caress you if you're doing a no saves run.