Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kai Tave posted:

e; also as savvy as tradgame KS backers may be compared to other demographics, I'm confident that most people backing Kickstarters still don't really understand the economics and logistics of producing and publishing a game.

Yeah, if you put the actual costs armchair economists will decide you're being greedy, particularly if some other guy's got a funding goal of twenty dollars and a half-eaten Twix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Lab Zero basically posted the one-stop complete breakdown of why their project was "so expensive" and why everyone had a low estimate of how much a game costs ages back, iirc.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

spectralent posted:

Lab Zero basically posted the one-stop complete breakdown of why their project was "so expensive" and why everyone had a low estimate of how much a game costs ages back, iirc.

That really encouraged me to support it their project.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I wrote a post about where the money went on Pigsmoke, too, in case anyone's curious. Transparency!

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Echophonic posted:

I'm still not convinced the average Kickstarter runner understands those things.

I definitely loving didn't have a clue what I was doing. I basically budgeted everything I needed perfectly, had my stretch goals all sorted and had my backer rewards all set up. When I went to actually post it, I noticed that every other similar Kickstarter was asking for way more money than I needed. This freaked me the hell out and lead me to ask for more money I didn't really need, rearrange some goals that didn't need to be rearranged and add some extra backer rewards I didn't actually see the merit in. Nerves got the better of me and I seriously did change a bunch of poo poo in a stupid way i wish I hadn't.

Ultimately I got funded and none of that stuff actually impacted the game, but in the final 24 hours I was convinced I wasn't ganna make it because I had just asked for too much. Turns out all those similar kickstarters asking for more were doing so because they were by already established, popular gamemakers who could get away with it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

spectralent posted:

And it still gave us the famous 'you're in the game business not the rent-paying business' tweet. God bless.

The funny thing was that somebody who did AAA fighting games looked at it and said 'huh, that's pretty cheap, really.'

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I can't say I really knew what the gently caress I was doing either, but my KS was for half a sheet of paper and the goal was $20 cause I figured that was the cost of printer ink and I had 10~ sheets of paper laying around the place.

Things got more complicated pretty quickly after it turned out many, many more than 10 people were interested in getting a half a sheet of stained paper.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

And it still gave us the famous 'you're in the game business not the rent-paying business' tweet. God bless.

God, I was one of those people in the vidyagames kickstarter thread ages ago. I really wonder what kind of farts I was huffing then.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

djfooboo posted:

I don't even have a response to my inquiry yet :v

They didn't think to keep any spare responses around, so you will have to wait for China to supply them that too.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Just a heads up, first 150~ copies of Orc Stabr should be arriving in hands Monday or Tuesday. Primarily its GenCon people who didn't make it, and full copy backers right now, but I should be sending out the rest over the next week or so. Keep an eye out!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I can't say I really knew what the gently caress I was doing either, but my KS was for half a sheet of paper and the goal was $20 cause I figured that was the cost of printer ink and I had 10~ sheets of paper laying around the place.

Things got more complicated pretty quickly after it turned out many, many more than 10 people were interested in getting a half a sheet of stained paper.

I just stumbled across https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsyhGHUEt-k which, even if you don't understand programming jargon, does a pretty good job of conveying this "what have we done" panic feeling.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
I saw the reprint of bargain quest is on the last 48hrs, if I live in the UK is it safe to wait for it go on sale or should I get the Kickstarter? I can't quite figure out.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

by.a.teammate posted:

I saw the reprint of bargain quest is on the last 48hrs, if I live in the UK is it safe to wait for it go on sale or should I get the Kickstarter? I can't quite figure out.

Annoyingly you can’t see shipping on their online store at the moment because they don’t have any physical products left. Presumably it’ll be about the same though.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I got my copy of Orc Stabr in the mail today, and it's even better then I had imagined.

edit: Correction. Cyber-Orc Stabr.

Funzo fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 28, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Our copy of Orc Stabr Idol arrived! Haven't gone over everything yet but the only unfortunate thing to stand out about it is that the button is broken so the needle part is sticking out dangerously and doesn't safely tuck away at all behind any clasp or whatever safety pins are called

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Would you say that it could be described as a 'stabr'

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Yes. Yes I would.

Kinky Cookie Bunny
Apr 1, 2011

Yeah I was really excited that our copy came in, Kite only forwarded the e-mail to me today about our copy being on its way so I was surprised it was there when I got off of work!

Though I've gotta know if the reason we got Orc Idol is because my first name is Melody cause if so that just that's just great

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Holy poo poo, sorry about the button ya'll. I can send you a backup one if you like, just PM me your address and I'll try to make it less Staby.

We actually packaged the copies entirely at random, so that was just a happy coincidence! Glad you like it!

If I may ask a big favour - is there any chance anyone who gets their copies could post a pic of it, and the card you get? There's 15 unique monster cards out there, and obv there's, uh, 485 unique Orc Stabrs and it'd be neat if folx shared them a little bit, if possible!

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Here’s what I got. Also the website is a masterpiece.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sure, we can do that. I'll shoot you a PM as well. I used some tweezers in the meantime to "fix" it but it still looks pretty orcish and stabbity :v:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Holy poo poo I can't wait for my copy.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Funzo posted:

This was one of my faves and the team is gonna love seeing this in the wild, thank you

Also, what website, i have no idea what you mean, i didn't make a website, weird

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Funzo posted:

I'm loving dying at the infosec thing

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Protecting data from access is very important to a cyber-orc.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
80s Orc Stabr checking in:

It's beautiful and I love it

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Okay so there's an orc stabr ARG going on now and I've never done ARG stuff before so I was able to make a little headway by deciphering the audio track of the normal humans having a normal meeting on how to fix a bridge. Here's the image I got.

So there's the code that needs to be deciphered but either I'm an idiot and have the password already and just don't know it or the password to decipher that code is related to the card that is in the picture. I don't have that monster, and I don't think the other monsters posted resemble it either. Any of you have this monster?

e: okay nevermind, the picture is of OL' BILL, but OL' BILL isn't the password to decipher the text

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

FirstAidKite posted:

Okay so there's an orc stabr ARG going on now

wait what

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

wait what

I got a business card with my copy of ORC STABR, and I assume one of the other posters did as well given that they mentioned the website.

https://normalhuman.business

I thought it wasn't an ARG at first because I heard an audio track and thought "oh I bet this is an ARG! Cool!" and tried to decipher the audio but I had no clue what I was doing, gave up, then went to another page where it was just LIMM bragging about how he's good at ARGs and so I was like "AAAAAAAAA" and went back to deciphering the audio til I got that.

I've been given a hint that everything I need is on the website. There's another project page that mentions not to inspect an image too closely so I'm gonna try and compare it to another copy of the same image that is on the same site since one version of the image is slightly bigger than the other so I'm wondering if there are any visual differences.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
gently caress, Orc Stabr really is the best Kickstarter of 2018.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Okay, I checked out the one pic that LIMM said not to inspect further. It has this as a comment in it

LIMM posted:

COM marker comment: Limm make clever AARRRRRRGGGHHH!!! maybe secret messages all over secret website that puny humans can't find, only good clever orcy humans can find it!!!!!

When you find all clues and figure out puzzle, limm think you like prize a LOT!!!!

from this pic

Time for me to check the rest now and see if I can find this password. I assume that the encipher.it will give the password for Project 2.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Update: my fiancee pointed out that there was a blank frame on Project 3's page. That frame contained data that had the following quote in it.

quote:

"You good puzzle cracker! LIMM PROUD!!! What you think about Limm ARGH? LIMM VERY HAPPY! GOBBOSDROOL"

Unfortunately, GOBBOSDROOL does not seem to be the password for Project 2's page nor does it seem to be the password to decipher the code :( I'm gonna try some more stuff but I think I'm running into a dead end here

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

I am going to go to my grave regretting missing out on Orc Stabr.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Hmm, and "ARG" is the sound an elf makes when it has been Stabr'd by an Orc, it's almost too convenient.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

DalaranJ posted:

Hmm, and "ARG" is the sound an elf makes when it has been Stabr'd by an Orc, it's almost too convenient.

Holy poo poo it all makes sense now. (So excited to get mine in the mail!)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Well I decided to try and get a clearer picture from the audio

Little bit bigger

I think it reads like this

code:
EnCt28c713a2b
7467cebc4ac080c4a1c996d
04bf4bda18c713a2b7467ce
bc4ac080c4Mwlo6lm36gK

M50G6Glvs6ll6nq4pklyFNg
==lwEmS
I'm not 100% sure though. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out I just have the wrong code here so maybe I do have the password but it doesn't go with this code.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

FirstAidKite posted:

Well I decided to try and get a clearer picture from the audio

Little bit bigger

I think it reads like this

code:
EnCt28c713a2b
7467cebc4ac080c4a1c996d
04bf4bda18c713a2b7467ce
bc4ac080c4Mwlo6lm36gK

M50G6Glvs6ll6nq4pklyFNg
==lwEmS
I'm not 100% sure though. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out I just have the wrong code here so maybe I do have the password but it doesn't go with this code.

This bit here "4pkly" looks like it has a capital L to me.

e; actually several of the L's look capitalized, and I'm assuming that's important when it comes to encryption. Maybe I'm wrong.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

This bit here "4pkly" looks like it has a capital L to me.

e; actually several of the L's look capitalized, and I'm assuming that's important when it comes to encryption. Maybe I'm wrong.

KCB thought that as well, but there are a few instances of that character that looks like an l or an uncrossed t and since it doesn't have the cross and it's just a little artifact at the bottom that is shifted to the right, I can only assume it is meant to be an l since that's the closest one. I think if it were a capital L it'd have a more pronounced bottom part

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?

FirstAidKite posted:

Update: my fiancee pointed out that there was a blank frame on Project 3's page. That frame contained data that had the following quote in it.

Unfortunately, GOBBOSDROOL does not seem to be the password for Project 2's page nor does it seem to be the password to decipher the code :( I'm gonna try some more stuff but I think I'm running into a dead end here

Surely that means the password is ORCSRULE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

KCB thought that as well, but there are a few instances of that character that looks like an l or an uncrossed t and since it doesn't have the cross and it's just a little artifact at the bottom that is shifted to the right, I can only assume it is meant to be an l since that's the closest one. I think if it were a capital L it'd have a more pronounced bottom part

The character in 4pkly is definitely a small l. The mistake you've actually made is that the "straight" I is almost certainly a capital i.