Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
A loving clip show, el oh el :whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Though I will say that I forgot how Mark was awkward af when he started. He and Yasha have never been that good on TV.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I think it's pretty cute.

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

Nothus posted:

Though I will say that I forgot how Mark was awkward af when he started. He and Yasha have never been that good on TV.

Can't speak for Yasha, but I always thought Ames was great on Dylan Ratigan's old show on MSNBC around 2008-2009, and when more recently he was on Abby Martin's Empire. Also, as someone who's listened to many old shows over again while I wait for the ambien to kick in at night, the changes in production value aren't as big a jolt to me. I actually do miss some of the lighter content of previous shows. Some of the early episodes are my favorite, when they were still mining old WN columns for content. The "Memories of St. Patrick's Day as a Young War Nerd" is good for a laugh if you're a recent subscriber and haven't paid attention to the old stuff. (it's probably in the first 20 episodes or somewhere around there)

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
When the Yemen thing kicked off and the extent of western duplicity became apparent, they did get more grim, yeah.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Does anyone remember offhand when they got the professional recording studio?

coathat
May 21, 2007

No but they mention it in the latest episode near the end

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It's better than a regular clip show where they're actually reflecting on it and laughing at themselves. It was pretty fun.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I'm glad they had a couple of fun vacation episodes

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/TheWarNerd/status/1035225422269689856?s=19

i always forget dolan is like 70 years old

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I think he only turned 60 relatively recently. It turns out when an older person is a leftist, they don't seem quite as old or decrepit as the norm, atleast, not intellectually.

coathat
May 21, 2007

That’s not how it works dumbass.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

coathat posted:

It seems to make sense. Old conservatives seem older than they actually are once you hear them talk about their opinions.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
He's lookin' good since I last saw him.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

hiking all those mountainous locales was good for him.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

coathat posted:

It's a fact that conservatism rots you from the inside out and makes you looks like poo poo. Just look at Ted Cruz. Did you know he's younger than Gwen Stefani?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

hiking all those mountainous locales was good for him.

yeah climbing up that crazy Italian mountain fortress is probably more than I'd be able to do

Marijuana posted:

It's a fact that conservatism rots you from the inside out and makes you looks like poo poo. Just look at Ted Cruz. Did you know he's younger than Gwen Stefani?

Charlie Kirk is 24

How Darwinian
Feb 27, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I think it's pretty cute.

I loved their reflections on the audio quality, where it's really only a marginal improvement on John's end.

Mark: Haha, oh man, it was all so bad back then.

John [phoning into the studio from Turin]: I sound like I'm underwater!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

That episode was pretty mindblowing for me.:monocle::monocle::monocle:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Thinking of subbing now that I'm caught up in Revolutions. Have they done an so on the Irish war of independence/civil war/troubles? Dolan's referenced it a few times on the previews

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

Thinking of subbing now that I'm caught up in Revolutions. Have they done an so on the Irish war of independence/civil war/troubles? Dolan's referenced it a few times on the previews

They've done two: E75 on the history of the IRA and Sinn Fein through most of the 20th century, and E122 more focusing on the Troubles and the conditions leading up to the Good Friday Agreement
they're very good eps

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

Yes they have. Patreon has a lovely search function and terrible posting archives, but It's a fairly recent one.

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yes they have. Patreon has a lovely search function and terrible posting archives, but It's a fairly recent one.

Yeah, are they ever going to fix that?

Also, the latest episode's interviewee was incredible. I really hope they do that South Yemen war in the 1960's episode they hinted at, and hopefully they bring that guy back. One of the better interviews they've ever done IMO, even if it wandered around a bit sometimes.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

snoremac posted:

He's lookin' good since I last saw him.
Yeah, that was my thought as well. Looking good isn't the same as being healthy obv. but last time I saw him I didn't he looked rough even for an aging Irishman (I am also an aging Irishman, though not quite as old or as Irish).

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

pangstrom posted:

Yeah, that was my thought as well. Looking good isn't the same as being healthy obv.

John Dolan has never been shy about all his pathetic health problems.

Anyway, the new episode is really good and more insightful than usual. I didn't really get the Turkey-Qatar link before.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Yeah it was great. The description of way regional investment flows drive conflict was not something I'd heard articulated that well before.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Hey they remembered to put up a preview this time.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/preview-radio-21200956

First 24 minutes of the interview with Isa Blumi on Yemen.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

This interview was the first time I became aware of Blumi. I'd be really interested in his take on the 2013 coup in Egypt, since this looks rather central to the Saudi - Qatar rivalry.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Yeah it was great. The description of way regional investment flows drive conflict was not something I'd heard articulated that well before.

I think it's the first time I've heard someone spell out the link between dwindling Saudi oil output and military adventurism in Yemen.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

it’s the first I’ve heard that the Saudis are actually past peak oil production, so they’re doing quite a job of manipulating public perception.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
The peak oil nutters have been talking about it for a few years, but it's hard to separate the real from the fever-dream bullshit.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

it’s the first I’ve heard that the Saudis are actually past peak oil production, so they’re doing quite a job of manipulating public perception.

The idea that the Saudis need money for any reason is so strange.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

prefect posted:

The idea that the Saudis need money for any reason is so strange.

The idea that Saudi (oil) reserves are running low has been around for more than 10 years. Here is one author that was very invested in peak oil at the time quoting Al Jazeera (original page now down) https://www.eurotrib.com/story/2006/1/26/92729/4616

"Jerome" posted:

Speculation over the actual size of Saudi Arabia's oil reserves is reaching fever pitch as a major bank says the kingdom's - and the world's - biggest field, Gharwar, is in irreversible decline.

The Bank of Montreal's analyst Don Coxe, working from their Chicago office, is the first mainstream number-cruncher to say that Gharwar's days are fated.

(...)

"The combination of the news that there's no new Saudi Light coming on stream for the next seven years plus the 27% projected decline from existing fields means Hubbert's Peak has arrived in Saudi Arabia," says Coxe, referring to data compiled by the International Energy Association's (IEA) August 2004 monthly report.

And without oil there's just 30 million people sitting on dry sand.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Remember King Abdullah Economic City?

https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...38!4d39.1335583

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Lol at the Qataris. All those meticulously groomed relationships with the foreign policy blob and western media undone by some chuds in Wisconsin and Michigan.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
latest war nerd was incredible. the part about the real estate bubble in the mideast in places like dubai hit home because i know people who worked construction there and worked on all these completely pointless fancy modern buildings with like no tenants

i may be wrong but i think the bubble picked up steam again in the last few years despite the 2008 crash, all the fuckin black embezzled money from third world politicians and businessmen seems to love financing construction there.

also funny to hear that the yemen war costs 300 million/day wtf how could that be true or sustainable?

mila kunis has issued a correction as of 22:20 on Sep 5, 2018

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Nothus posted:

The peak oil nutters have been talking about it for a few years, but it's hard to separate the real from the fever-dream bullshit.

i mean, they did try to sell aramco and no one wanted to buy right?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

It's more of a long-term inevitability than an acute issue, which combines with America's slow withdrawal/being pushed out of the region. It won't happen in 5 or 10 years, but in 30 years it's likely there won't be much oil left and the US won't feel like investing resources to defend Saudi

Also they probably haven't pumped as much oil over the last 10 years as people thought they would at the time with oil at 100+ dollars a barrel

icantfindaname has issued a correction as of 07:30 on Sep 6, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's been ages since they made content public, but the interview with Isa Blumi on Yemen was so drat good they reposted it for free.
https://www.patreon.com/posts/radio-war-nerd-21308029

This is certainly a top tier Radio War Nerd. I'd recommend this one to people who don't know anything about the show or the old eXile crew, along with the Fascism in Sci Fi episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think I'm compelled to become a supporter for those sweet, sweet Years of Lead episodes.