Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
More french comic panels.

I'll translate this one. Not sure if it's badass or touching or what, but I loving love it.

The context is that these two guys are Free French Forces soldiers during WW2, fighting with the British in Africa. They get taken prisoner by German U-Boat commander Von Stroheim, who speaks French, and one of the two (the officer) begins to develop a friendship with the German commander. The first page is the Von Stroheim and the officer talking and the second is the one that I think belongs here.

The officer (with the pointy little mustache) is Major, and the enlisted guy is named Maurice. I'm translating the second page. The first one is just there for context. They're talking, as gentlemen do, of family and duty and things that are not war.

Maurice: Major? Major, you shouldn't become friendly with that nazi officer.

Major: What are you talking about Maurice?

Maurice: I'm saying that he's an officer of our enemies, and I think that you're spending too much time with him.

Major: You don't know what you're talking about. Our conversations have nothing to do with the war, or with our respective militaries.

Maurice: He's an officer for the Nazis, that's all I'm saying.

Major: Listen, not all the Germans are Nazis and I'm not betraying my uniform by talking with him. It's a conversation between gentlemen.

Maurice: No offense, but gentleman my rear end. He's a loving officer of the third reich, that makes him a Nazi and an enemy.

Major: You don't know anything. He's serving his country, he didn't have a choice.

Maurice: He didn't have a choice? Me neither, I didn't have a choice. I could have followed Pétain* and his group of collaborators. It's what my country asked of me, right? But instead I took up arms and I'm not the only one! I've met others: French, Spanish, Armenians, Poles, all kinds from the colonies, from the Sahara to the equatorial forests of the Congo! They didn't have a choice either, right Major? They made their choice! They chose to fight the Nazis even when everything seemed lost. Don't talk bullshit, your Von Stroheim, he had a choice, and he chose to wear the Nazi uniform.

From Commando Colonial v2, which does not appear to be available in English, but which is available in French on both Comixology and Izneo.

*Pétain was a French general who collaborated with the Nazis and who after the war was sentenced to death for treason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Jordan7hm posted:

More french comic panels.

I'll translate this one. Not sure if it's badass or touching or what, but I loving love it.

The context is that these two guys are Free French Forces soldiers during WW2, fighting with the British in Africa. They get taken prisoner by German U-Boat commander Von Stroheim, who speaks French, and one of the two (the officer) begins to develop a friendship with the German commander. The first page is the Von Stroheim and the officer talking and the second is the one that I think belongs here.

The officer (with the pointy little mustache) is Major, and the enlisted guy is named Maurice. I'm translating the second page. The first one is just there for context. They're talking, as gentlemen do, of family and duty and things that are not war.

Maurice: Major? Major, you shouldn't become friendly with that nazi officer.

Major: What are you talking about Maurice?

Maurice: I'm saying that he's an officer of our enemies, and I think that you're spending too much time with him.

Major: You don't know what you're talking about. Our conversations have nothing to do with the war, or with our respective militaries.

Maurice: He's an officer for the Nazis, that's all I'm saying.

Major: Listen, not all the Germans are Nazis and I'm not betraying my uniform by talking with him. It's a conversation between gentlemen.

Maurice: No offense, but gentleman my rear end. He's a loving officer of the third reich, that makes him a Nazi and an enemy.

Major: You don't know anything. He's serving his country, he didn't have a choice.

Maurice: He didn't have a choice? Me neither, I didn't have a choice. I could have followed Pétain* and his group of collaborators. It's what my country asked of me, right? But instead I took up arms and I'm not the only one! I've met others: French, Spanish, Armenians, Poles, all kinds from the colonies, from the Sahara to the equatorial forests of the Congo! They didn't have a choice either, right Major? They made their choice! They chose to fight the Nazis even when everything seemed lost. Don't talk bullshit, your Von Stroheim, he had a choice, and he chose to wear the Nazi uniform.

From Commando Colonial v2, which does not appear to be available in English, but which is available in French on both Comixology and Izneo.

*Pétain was a French general who collaborated with the Nazis and who after the war was sentenced to death for treason

That guy’s beard looks like a face wearing a weird helmet

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Yeah I don't know how they made a Ninjas Take Over The City With A Secret Apocalypse plot boring as hell, but they managed it

They replaced "the Defenders risk life and limb to get to the bottom of the mystery!" with "Stick exposits the entire plot to them while they stand in a warehouse for three episodes". Easy mistake.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Calaveron posted:

Yeah, it's honestly one of the worst parts of the book, or of any of Bruno's art. These panels aren't even that bad, there's some later on that are atrocious. It's a really weird choice to draw the beard that way.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Calaveron posted:

oh THATS what htat is

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Judge Dredd: Under Siege #3

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

The forums might be gay and/or dead, but I refuse to let this thread perish.

After the Earth has died, Galactus shows up to consume the dead planet. Old King Thor isn't cool with this idea and voices his displeasure in the most metal way possible.

Thor: God of Thunder #23

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The ultimate symbiote! . :v:

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Judge Dredd: Under Siege #3

Oh man, I should pick this up. Do you recommend it, EM?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah it's been good. The last issue is out next week

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ecavalli posted:

The forums might be gay and/or dead, but I refuse to let this thread perish.

After the Earth has died, Galactus shows up to consume the dead planet. Old King Thor isn't cool with this idea and voices his displeasure in the most metal way possible.

Thor: God of Thunder #23

I demand a metal concept album about the recent Thor storylines that are like 237% more metal than anything comics have ever published.

Get on it, Blind Guardian. Or someone similar.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
This was the suggestion the last time someone asked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFYVcz7h3o0

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Context - Jango Fett made the Clone Army. One of the clones ran away and started a family. Count Dooku paid Jango Fett to assassinate him, which he does. But not before a "Can you really kill yourself" confrontation. Connor Freeman is the son of the rogue clone. Boba Fett, due to reasons outlined in the comic, feels he owes him one.

The conflict reaches it's conclusion, Boba Fett having killed everyone, which leads to

Star Wars: Blood Ties: Jango and Boba Fett

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 28, 2018

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I don't understand Boba Fett anymore

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Context - Jango Fett made the Clone Army. One of the clones ran away and started a family. Count Dooku paid Jango Fett to assassinate him, which he does. But not before a "Can you really kill yourself" confrontation. Connor Freeman is the son of the rogue clone. Boba Fett, due to reasons outlined in the comic, feels he owes him one.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Aug 28, 2018

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Punt to the...

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Say Nothing posted:

Punt to the...

I do love how everyone just stops and stares at the whole thing.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Even Iron Fist is at awe of this martial techniques power

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

RagnarokZ posted:

I do love how everyone just stops and stares at the whole thing.

There's something about ninjas stopping with big googly eyes to look at it. :3:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

prefect posted:

There's something about ninjas stopping with big googly eyes to look at it. :3:

The Hand are marvelling at the foot.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/heytherejeffro/status/1031638798226976768

Guess it's Kirby's birthday today. :toot:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:clint: is using the wrong name, I see. It should be kirby.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

The Hand are marvelling at the foot.

Waaaaait a minute.

Did the Foot Clan in TMNT start out as a knockoff of The Hand?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Is that Hand fight the same one with the elevator scene? That’s maybe my favorite moment from that run.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Phy posted:

Waaaaait a minute.

Yes. Some might say satire, but only those afraid of being sued.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Phy posted:

Waaaaait a minute.

Also see Splinter and Stick. :D

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Phy posted:

Waaaaait a minute.

Yes. Much as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was at first....now how was it...it was supposedly everything the kids were into: Ninjas, animals, mutants/mutation, and teenagers.

Then it exploded.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's very funny - a parody of everything kids are meant to be into becomes this massive phenomenon because kids really are into them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think it's very funny - a parody of everything kids are meant to be into becomes this massive phenomenon because kids really are into them.

It wasn't a parody. It was a legitimate attempt to be noticed.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Phy posted:

Waaaaait a minute.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ahahaha, poo poo, ok

Thank you for the history lesson!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

That doesn't prove anything. That could be any young boy who pushed an old blind man out of the way of a truck carrying radioactive material only to be struck by some of it blinding him. Why that must happen fifty times a day!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

In the long history of crossover events, have the TMNT ever teamed up with DD?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Or does Deerdevil just exist in that universe?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Kalli posted:

Or does Deerdevil just exist in that universe?

You son of a bitch

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Calaveron posted:

You son of a bitch

That would be Dogdevil.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Now someone post Will Eisner's story of Jack vs the Mob. I never get tired of hearing the "Jack Kirby had bigger balls than anyone" stories. :allears:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't know the Eisner story, but I've always liked this one

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Choco1980 posted:

Now someone post Will Eisner's story of Jack vs the Mob. I never get tired of hearing the "Jack Kirby had bigger balls than anyone" stories. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmykiOdHzH0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Skwirl posted:

I don't know the Eisner story, but I've always liked this one

When no one was looking, Jack Kirby killed four Nazis. That's as many as four ones. And that's fantastic.