Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

We should be pals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Twelve Batmans posted:

Close but it's no Spin the Disc.

I actually agree with you and I would've said the same, but Spin the Disc is originally a IIDX song and I was only looking at games that came from DDR

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

signalnoise posted:

I actually agree with you and I would've said the same, but Spin the Disc is originally a IIDX song and I was only looking at games that came from DDR

Dammit you're right.

Unpopularly right.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

jimmyjams posted:

lol you used the joystick to move

The pro way to play Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, at least in SP was obviously using two controllers. It felt bad rear end.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

"shooters on console are bad" is truly the hottest of takes

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Jack Trades posted:

"shooters on console are bad" is truly the hottest of takes

Hearing people rave about Goldeneye in the 90s as a PC haver felt like I was taking crazy pills

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Shibawanko posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVM3pEMubUU

Like, when I look at any random position in this video, my skin crawls. It just looks so janky, I hate the way you don't just move your crosshair but move your gun in that weird reticle, I hate the cheap sound effect for when you pick up a gun or ammo, aiming at enemies looks like such a pain. I guess it looks impressive for the N64 but uugh gently caress playing that

the fps is headache-inducing but apart from that it looks fine to me

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

Hearing people rave about Goldeneye in the 90s as a PC haver felt like I was taking crazy pills

Same poo poo happened recently with Destiny (1) as well.
MMO looter shooter, whoa, such a novel concept.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

TheScott2K posted:

Yeah, like, Quake, Duke Nukem, Alien Trilogy all came out the year before, Blood and Quake 2 came out the same year. Goldeneye was so clearly worse than any of them, it was weird having all my friends raving about it?

/Edit: Man, went to go and look at other FPS's that had been out, I remembered Alien Vs Predator on the Atari Jaguar being pretty good. Hot drat. That game came out in 1994, and looks way better than I'd have expected! The Jaguar was like, fake 64 bit right? I guess like Beta Max and the Dreamcast, it didn't catch on and we ended up with worse tech as a standard. Was it super expensive? I don't really remember why it failed. I guess I'll go google it.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 28, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
The Atari Jaguar failed because besides Alien vs Predator, Rayman, and Tempest 2000 it didn't have any good games.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

The Atari Jaguar failed because besides Alien vs Predator, Rayman, and Tempest 2000 it didn't have any good games.

I have another one for everyone: Rayman sucks. In fact, all big sprite platformers are bad.

e: except Mr. Nutz. I loving love that dude.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 28, 2018

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Here’s a hot take: video games can be good and fun

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

!Klams posted:

Yeah, like, Quake, Duke Nukem, Alien Trilogy all came out the year before, Blood and Quake 2 came out the same year. Goldeneye was so clearly worse than any of them, it was weird having all my friends raving about it?

/Edit: Man, went to go and look at other FPS's that had been out, I remembered Alien Vs Predator on the Atari Jaguar being pretty good. Hot drat. That game came out in 1994, and looks way better than I'd have expected! The Jaguar was like, fake 64 bit right? I guess like Beta Max and the Dreamcast, it didn't catch on and we ended up with worse tech as a standard. Was it super expensive? I don't really remember why it failed. I guess I'll go google it.

Maybe it was multiplayer aspect and internet/decent computers to run those games not being as prevalent as home consoles?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Here’s a hot take: video games can be good and fun

Get out of here with this nonsense.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

goldeneye had a really good campaign, really clever stuff in that game even though its a janky 20fps one stick shooter

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Goldeneye was really good if you had that one essential N64 accessory, friends who want to hang out with you.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was never as obsessed with Golden Eye as my friends were, but I was really impressed that the environments were designed to sort of feel like real places instead of non descript corridors like most games at the time.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Goldeneye was fun as gently caress if you didn't have a PC, it did not age well.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

!Klams posted:

And to play all of those with your friends you had to do it through the internet or haul a big old computer over to their place, find a place to plug it in and set up a, likely wired, network to play on. And remember, this is back in the day when monitors were big, heavy old CRTs that kid you could barely get their arms around.

The ease of playing with your friends was a huge factor that you kind of ignored.

Of course now video games are something you aren't supposed to enjoy with other people in person and only support online play.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I played many old school FPSes for the first time some years ago. Duke Nukem, System Shock II, Quake 3, CounterStrike, and yes GoldenEye. And I couldn't believe how bad GoldenEye was. The game had this weird pause and self-center in order to gain, and maps were literally just random chunks from the campaign. Even the campaign was mediocre.

I read that the multiplayer was a tacked on aspect they did in a month and that's what it felt like.

Edit - Mario 64 also sucked too. Bad courses and the game runs at like 15 fps.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

perfect dark in an emulator with that m+kb mod makes it fantastic imo

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
This is by no means an unpopular opinion but the aiming system in Goldeneye was an absolute abomination. Hell, the N64 controller in general was an abomination. I say this as someone who enjoyed both Goldeneye and the N64 overall

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The Nintendo 64 controller was good.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

The Nintendo 64 controller was good.

:wrong:

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib

Sheen Sheen posted:

This is by no means an unpopular opinion but the aiming system in Goldeneye was an absolute abomination. Hell, the N64 controller in general was an abomination. I say this as someone who enjoyed both Goldeneye and the N64 overall

spoken by a guy who never tried using the akimbo controller option

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

TheScott2K posted:

Halo was the one that boggled my mind. Babby's first online FPS with dumb controls and if you wanted to play with your friends you needed to have separate consoles and TVs, making it like a really lovely LAN party and destroying one of the reasons that consoles were good for multi-player.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Bajaj posted:

Halo was the one that boggled my mind. Babby's first online FPS with dumb controls and if you wanted to play with your friends you needed to have separate consoles and TVs, making it like a really lovely LAN party and destroying one of the reasons that consoles were good for multi-player.

Halo had split screen multiplayer?

Halo 1 was split screen but no online, Halo 2 had Xbox live so you could play with your friends easily online, don't remember if it had split screen

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 29, 2018

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm mainly a PC gamer and Halo is still the best fps I ever played. Halo Reach is my fav, come at me.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

Sheen Sheen posted:

lol you used the joystick to move

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
thats about the only criticism of goldeneye i can think of. the far superior turok style of c buttons to move joystick to aim that pretty much every fps after goldeneye used wasnt the default controller configuration

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
also more videogames should have wooden crates that blow up when you shoot them

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

gently caress every single Nintendo controller after the SNES.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
nintendo is a controller company that just happens to also make consoles and games. in defense of my theory i present the n64, gamecube, wii, and wii u

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The controllers are what makes it a gaming machine, as opposed to a PC you put under your TV

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

jimmyjams posted:

nintendo is a controller company that just happens to also make consoles and games. in defense of my theory i present the n64, gamecube, wii, and wii u

Nintendo is a game developer that is so good they can make a proprietary console for themselves and people will still buy it and other devs will use it

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Sodomy Hussein posted:

gently caress every single Nintendo controller after the SNES.

the gamecube had the best controller of its generation. the d-pad was eh but it wasn't necessary really

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I have another one: Nintendo is NOT a"conservative" company.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nintendo is the Apple of consoles

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Nintendo is the Apple of consoles

Yes except that using their software after using the other company's software doesn't require you to abandon your understanding of the interface

gently caress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

signalnoise posted:

Yes except that using their software after using the other company's software doesn't require you to abandon your understanding of the interface

gently caress!

Yeah Apple has the design chops and is an industry-leading force. Nintendo makes third-rate hardware with loving stupid peripherals and design, and hopes you will forgive that for the boutique feel and Mario whatever