Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Danaru posted:

Sigma going from a rogue commander to an omnipresent clown ghost was the best part about Megaman X :v:

Well actually the best part is how the human race dies off between 5 and 6 due to the colony drop and it never really gets addressed except in passing

humans don't die off cause they still exist in ZX series they're just reeeally hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Elfgames posted:

humans don't die off cause they still exist in ZX series they're just reeeally hosed

For real? I could have sworn X6 or X7 said they were all gone. I never actually played Zero or ZX though

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Elfgames posted:

I never got around ZX but I'm almost sure humans were extinct by the time MMZ rolled up.

Kinda funny that Wily did get his win, just took several hundred years.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Holy poo poo apparently the Megaman lore goes deeper than I ever thought, and I played quite a few ZX games on my R4 on the DS. Are there any not-poo poo wikis where I can spend an afternoon deep-diving this?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
IIRC in the Zero games the humans are somewhere in Neo Arcadia and (e: Copy) X and his army were "protecting" them. But I don't think you ever see a human in the Zero games.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Danaru posted:

For real? I could have sworn X6 or X7 said they were all gone. I never actually played Zero or ZX though

it's easy to think so cause you never see more than 1 human in all of the X series

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Zanzibar Ham posted:

IIRC in the Zero games the humans are somewhere in Neo Arcadia and (e: Copy) X and his army were "protecting" them. But I don't think you ever see a human in the Zero games.

Ciel is human.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Huh, when is that revealed? I'll admit I've only played the first two, I figured all the rebels were Reploids.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
So I've finally got around to trying out Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 after picking it up when it was free and I like the various bits of interactions the multiplayer characters have. I leveled up during a match and one of the characters near me went "Congrats on the promotion!"

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Huh, when is that revealed? I'll admit I've only played the first two, I figured all the rebels were Reploids.

ISTR reading somewhere that she's human, though she was originally supposed to be a cyborg.

I think you see some other humans in Zero 4, where you have to rescue them.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And Legends is apparently the distant future where even baseline 'humans' are basically cyborgs and don't even know it. (doesn't X5 or something have said space colony have some Mega Man Legends foreshadowing?)

In Legends, the "humans" on the planet are actually "carbons," which is basically what the terminology for cyborgs gets corrupted to long after potentially several apocalypses. The game specifically uses this to justify why so many people are able to effortlessly swap out their normal limbs for robot parts, and in the second game it's revealed that the last pure human actually died before the events of the games.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Danaru posted:

The colony drop devastated the surface of the Earth forcing humanity underground to survive until the time of the Zero or ZX games, I forget which.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Len posted:

But then you're playing a pre-World Monster Hunter and why would you do that to yourself?

Eh.
GenU has a gorillian hours of content, Prowler Mode, is on a mobile system, has transmutation, 3DS cross-play and I can pick up when I left off with 3DS.

World may be more polished but it's much more shallow, has a host of issues on the PC and the idea of grinding monster hunts at my desk sounds like hell.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inzombiac posted:

Eh.
GenU has a gorillian hours of content, Prowler Mode, is on a mobile system, has transmutation, 3DS cross-play and I can pick up when I left off with 3DS.

World may be more polished but it's much more shallow, has a host of issues on the PC and the idea of grinding monster hunts at my desk sounds like hell.

I mean if you already have it on 3ds doesn't that mean you've experienced most of the content and you're just going back to grinding more of the same on a tiny screen with an awkward controller*? Not to mention the massive step back that is almost every mechanic. That just sounds like some sort of Stockholm Syndrome.

*I've only played a Switch once and the controller felt weird but I think everything that isn't a DS4 is weird.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I picked up Dying Light in the recent Steam sale, and while I'm having way more fun than I thought I would with an open-world crafting-based survival game, one of the absolute worst things in the game are the Bombers. Like every zombie game that's come out in the history of forever, they've got to have a bunch of Special Infected that are the ALDI rebrands of the ones from Left 4 Dead, so of course you get the Kirkland Boomer.

These motherfuckers detonate on contact with you, and deal more damage than you can have health for the entire game I've played so far. In scripted missions, the devs love tossing these fuckers into areas that they know know players are going to traipse into, and delighting in the sick schadenfreude that comes from watching someone go from 0 to 60 in reverse thanks to an unpredictable festering gut bomb.

It sounds like I've got the wrong thread here, but the truth is I've been subjected to some kind of Stockholm syndrome and now I can't help but laugh when it happens because some of them are so hilariously horseshit that you know it was absolutely intended to be a joke. The one that broke me the other day was securing a safehouse, where to do so, you need to kill a bunch of zombies, and then get stuck in an animation to turn the power back on. While that happened, one of them bursts out of a previously locked toilet, and you have just enough time to exit the animation, turn around, and have your caveman brain drop the tumblers into place before a 6 foot tall ribcage stuffed full of guts violently obliterates into you into a fine mist.

I'm sure it's 100% not a coincidence that you get the exact same XP for securing a safehouse that you lose for dying at that point.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yakuza Kiwami 2

So far, adjusting to the new engine isn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. I like that picking up the locker keys is so much faster now, and throwing people doesn't look as goofy as when I tried the demo for 6 so it looks like they were able to really polish things in the time between the two of them. I'm also glad that this series doesn't grade you after fights because boy do I feel like I'm just bumbling through them. :v:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The Mega Man series gets really loving dark for awhile there, then by the ZX series everyone's just lowkey a cyborg and nobody makes a big deal out of it.
The Battle Network series gets loving weird at times.
They predicted IoS straight out of the loving gate. The first dungeon of the first game is your oven bursting into flames because someone hacked it :v: In the second game the final area is a place that gets so irradiated that Real World and Internet start to blend together.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
This is a bit of a dumb one, but I remember it every single time I see a full moon.

Persona 3 is set over the year of 2009. Full moons are a big thing, with major enemies or major events happening on every full moon. And they actually made the lunar cycle accurate to 2009; I suspect the reason they picked 2009 as the year was because it had a full moon on New Years' Eve.

A later version of the game introduced The Answer, a side-story taking place in a time loop on March 31st, 2010.

It's not displayed on the UI and never called attention to in-game, but March 31st, 2010 would also be a full moon.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In the new God of War there's a section of the game where Atreus discovers he's a god and immediately becomes a little arrogant shithead about it. During this part if you command him to use arrows, he'll lag a little bit behind or sometimes won't perform the action at all. I'll probably never have kids so this is likely the closest I'll ever come to understanding the frustrations of fatherhood.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

In the new God of War there's a section of the game where Atreus discovers he's a god and immediately becomes a little arrogant shithead about it. During this part if you command him to use arrows, he'll lag a little bit behind or sometimes won't perform the action at all. I'll probably never have kids so this is likely the closest I'll ever come to understanding the frustrations of fatherhood.

He'll also cast spells unprompted, it's a great way to show a moment of rebellion.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

exquisite tea posted:

I wish it went on a little longer because by the time it clicked that segment was over and everything goes back to the status quo. It's a cool bit of character building and i just wish it was a slower burn.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

exquisite tea posted:

I loved the "Can I transform into an animal?" "...what?" "If I am a god, I can transform into an animal, right?" exchange. The poo poo Kratos has to put up with :allears:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

RagnarokAngel posted:

I wish it went on a little longer because by the time it clicked that segment was over and everything goes back to the status quo. It's a cool bit of character building and i just wish it was a slower burn.

I think this is one aspect where they really wanted to err on the side of caution because of gamers' historically lethal allergy to companion/kid characters. In the director's commentary, Cory Barlog says he had to fight to keep Atreus in the game and it wasn't until 5-6 months before release that all the pieces even started to come together.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

exquisite tea posted:

I think this is one aspect where they really wanted to err on the side of caution because of gamers' historically lethal allergy to companion/kid characters. In the director's commentary, Cory Barlog says he had to fight to keep Atreus in the game and it wasn't until 5-6 months before release that all the pieces even started to come together.

Totally understandable. At first, I was totally hesitant on just having this kid perpetually around, but making him the most powerful part of your arsenal helped immensely in this regard, as well as making it so that you never have to worry about him dying or whatever in combat.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What happens if you don't save him from being grabbed by an enemy? I don't think I ever found out in my playthrough.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

haveblue posted:

What happens if you don't save him from being grabbed by an enemy? I don't think I ever found out in my playthrough.

He's just down for the count for a while - you're unable to use him in combat for a bit but other than that there are no penalties.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Samuringa posted:

I loved the "Can I transform into an animal?" "...what?" "If I am a god, I can transform into an animal, right?" exchange. The poo poo Kratos has to put up with :allears:

Given what we learn at the end of the game he can turn into a horse

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah transforming into animals is kind of Loki's thing in Norse mythology.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah transforming into animals is kind of a thing in mythology.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

This is kind of a hot take, but I thought that scene where Zeus turned into a swan and tried to gently caress Kratos was kind of weird and out-of-place in the original GoW trilogy.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Morpheus posted:

This is kind of a hot take, but I thought that scene where Zeus turned into a swan and tried to gently caress Kratos was kind of weird and out-of-place in the original GoW trilogy.

That scene wouldn't have been nearly as bad if they hadn't made it a QTE section.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In an entry already notable for its innovations to the franchise, Atreus is the first known video game character to have been conceived via QTE.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just got to (infamous roadblock boss)Bloody Mary in Terranigma. Nowhere near strong enough to fight her yet, so I'm glad my savestate is before jumping down the pit, but holy poo poo do I love the preamble. The run up to her with her daughters is brilliant.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Morpheus posted:

I just wonder who thought the golden shower scene was a good idea.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I just wonder who thought the golden shower scene was a good idea.

You're mistaking this for The Angry Birds movie

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Len posted:

I mean if you already have it on 3ds doesn't that mean you've experienced most of the content and you're just going back to grinding more of the same on a tiny screen with an awkward controller*? Not to mention the massive step back that is almost every mechanic. That just sounds like some sort of Stockholm Syndrome.

*I've only played a Switch once and the controller felt weird but I think everything that isn't a DS4 is weird.

I only played it on 3DS for maybe 15 hours.
Maybe I'm not a usual case but I plan to milk GenU dry before ever touching world.

My job is at a desk so the idea of coming home to play games at a desk sounds like hell. My PC gaming has dropped off significantly.

(I find the Switch to be very comfortable but I have tiny baby hands.)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Just got to (infamous roadblock boss)Bloody Mary in Terranigma. Nowhere near strong enough to fight her yet, so I'm glad my savestate is before jumping down the pit, but holy poo poo do I love the preamble. The run up to her with her daughters is brilliant.
I played this game a lot, and my grinding place of choice for that boss was the first few screens of Eklemata. Certainly not the area that gives the most XP per enemy, but one where you can get into a comfortable flow. Godspeed.

(You might run into similar issues with the final boss eventually. Sewers.)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've beaten her now. Abused Zap rings at level 25.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That's really the way to do it, honestly. It's kind of a boring fight that way, but it lets you get on with the rest of the game a lot faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Each level I was doing more damage, from 2, to 5, to 15 on average, but grinding was boring me.