Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bob Morales posted:

We never had a software side to our previous phone system.

Trying to explain softphones to even otherwise technically-adept people is like explaining non-euclidean geometry to a dog. I don't understand it, the interface even looks like a loving phone why is it so complicated for people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Inspector_666 posted:

Trying to explain softphones to even otherwise technically-adept people is like explaining non-euclidean geometry to a dog. I don't understand it, the interface even looks like a loving phone why is it so complicated for people.

"So this is a different phone?"

No, it's just showing you the same thing as your phone on your desk. It's two ways of looking at who you have on the phone.

"So I can make one call on this while I'll make another call on my phone?"

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
So we've been dragged into project management hell on Twitter this morning:
https://twitter.com/AlexDRocca/status/1034120767846277120

please
⊂_ヽ
  \\ do
   \( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    > ⌒ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\the
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\needful
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
ノ )  Lノ
(_/

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

H110Hawk posted:

This sounds amazing. Name and shame.

Coloserve. 360 Spear St., San Francisco. Googling the address shows a different brand name now. Given that they were consolidating cabinets so they could shut down whole rows when I moved us to AWS, that's probably new ownership and not a name change.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Aunt Beth posted:

please
⊂_ヽ
  \\ do
   \( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    > ⌒ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\the
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\needful
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
ノ )  Lノ
(_/

I wish this could be the thread title

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sefal posted:

Some genius plugged the redundant cables in the same pdu for all our servers in several racks.

Got that fixed before tragedy struck

I had this same issue a few weeks ago at a remote site and only noticed because the power draw on UPS1 was all the amps and the draw on UPS2 was 0.

:thunk:

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled

guppy posted:

Can anyone recommend some resources for learning more about wireless troubleshooting? I don't actually have a wireless issue, I have a helpdesk and helpdesk management issue where the helpdesk refuses to admit that the wireless network is fine and they have a software problem. My approach so far has been "Look, I put six devices on the wifi network and they've been streaming video for an hour without a hiccup," but I really need something more concrete and RSSI/SNR isn't a full enough picture. I think the best approach would be to demonstrate the specific reason why a user station loses connectivity; I'm open to books on the subject, software tools, hardware tools, whatever. I looked at Wireshark, but I will mostly be able to use Windows machines for this and the documentation suggests that I probably won't be able to put the wireless adapter on my laptop into promiscuous mode, and I don't know if packet analysis is even the way to go. The wireless vendor control panel does include a client monitor but its results are in what I would describe as broken English and I find it very hard to interpret; for example, does "(user station) is de-authenticated because of notification of driver" actually point to a client driver issue, or is it just written poorly?

guppy posted:

Definitely enterprise level, and we do not share space with anyone. All devices experiencing issues are laptops -- desktops are wired -- and are mostly the same model, and they do not need to be moving to experience this issue. I have full access to the infrastructure so that's not a problem. The specific issue is that these devices will associate with the AP, everything will work for a while, and then the client will stop sending and receiving data. Visually it doesn't appear to dissociate from the AP, just goes to "limited connectivity." I'm usually not there when it happens so it's hard for me to get additional data from the client machine. I'll take a look at that link and follow up on the other suggestions, thanks. There's no on-site controller, it's an Aerohive solution and they report back to a central server that's not on site. (They don't actually need to be able to communicate with the server to work, although they should always be able to if there's not a network problem preventing it, it's just how you monitor them and apply configurations and updates.)

This isn't all inclusive but depending on what tools you have you can provide multiple data points to prove "its not my poo poo". In my environment I have office space, stores, warehouses, and manufacturing as well as hospitality with both indoor and outdoor wireless. So you know I have to hammer poo poo down. I always look at the weakest device as well as their capabilities. A hand scanner might not have as much TX power as say a laptop or other device. 2.4Ghz vs 5GHz capability and what devices prefer also has hosed me in the past. In any case I have to treat all issues equally as wireless is treated like a god-given right. In any case, I've seen odd things and its not all true in all cases.

I assume you have all the relevant info. MAC addresses, Device Hostnames, IP addresses, and a way to examine your organization's user authentication/authorization and access to all switches, routers, WLCs and APs.
  • First thing I log into my Network monitoring tool of choice(If you have one and get those logs and graphs and pie charts open). [I'll be checking this in a minute]
  • I also log into my WLC and check to see if the APs in the area are joined to the controller. If I have a disconnected AP do i have a coverage hole?
    • Even if my monitoring software shows on a heatmap that I do have coverage, the height at which my APs sit may look good to each other without obstructions an idiot employee may have put there.
      • Ok so I determine my APs are online and joined the controller. Which means I at least have a physical connection and my layer 2 is doing ok.
      • Does my joined online AP(s) have an IP? Its funny that I say this but I have APs that join a controller and sometimes don't get an IP. (0.0.0.0) This can be a host of reasons, like someone plugging my AP into a different port or a helpful lad re-configuring the VLAN on the port. Wrong DHCP relay info etc. Let's say I get one and move on.
    • Cool, do I have AP groups? Lets make sure my AP is in the correct group and or broadcasting the right SSIDs. They are.
  • Now I check logs on the WLC and any Network or syslogging tools as well as any place I can see client authentication.
    • Why is this important? Because bad passwords or joining the wrong SSID is common.
    • Or maybe the device doesn't have a cert and doesn't belong here.
  • Do I see any rejection or error messages?
    • I should see that the client is authenticated and what AP it is connected to as well as the mac-address and potentially a hostname and or username. (Depending on how your setup tracts such things.)
      • So I've kind of gotten layer 1/2 locked down. And we can test some things on layer 3.
  • This is where I would look at negotiated speeds vs actual throughput to/from the client.
    • This is where I see what it is negotiating at. 802.11a/b/g/n/ac and any enabled or supported rates.
    • I've got old poo poo and new poo poo. We had new laptops only capable of 2.4GHz (I poo poo you not) purchased last year.
    • Are my AP power levels too high? [People can see 5 bars from outside the building but cannot connect to the AP in the basement that it is coming from...]
    • Sometimes the devices (and there is variation between chipsets and antenna strengths, cannot reach back to the AP. So they connect inside then walk away, the client somehow is tricked and remains "connected".
      • Anyhoo, lets say my App is a bandwidth hog and my signal strength is low, my distance from the AP is high, my throughput is low etc. But in your case its not. So we can skip this.
      • Am I dropping packets?
      • Are my clients randomly dropping? Is it a roaming issue? Does my coverage of the area barely make it? (If you have Ekahau or Fluke Air Magnet software you can rule this out usually)
  • Lets say there are no physical issues and everything is great throughput wise and the clients are still having issues.
    • Check DNS - Really. If its good move on.
    • Next break out network monitoring tools have a packet capture like Cisco Prime Infrastructure, Aruba & ac os x wireless diagnostic tool to troubleshoot wireless/network issues in combination with the Controller like show datapath session. etc
      • Filter your captures and check to see if the server sends an error message when using the App.
      • Check the affect client power saving settings on all network hardware. If the device hibernates or goes to sleep and the user comes out of it are they trying to click click click before things wake up properly?
    • Docking and undocking laptops? Windows or local firewall rules?
    • Did the idiots users keep putting their laptops under metal desk hutches because it looks pretty? In a metal cabinet? Perhaps a chicken-wire mesh containment box or under/beside a trash can.
  • Ok so we've exhausted all of that now comes the fun part. Digging into the software.
    • Are there any heartbeat or keepalive packets that the software needs to maintain a connection?
    • If it misses one of these packets does it give a "network disconnected error" helpfully coded into the software, forcing the user to re-logon to the software as a "feature" even though the windows machine is still connected and online because the loss of one packet shouldn't derail everything?
    • Is the application not modern or was possibly coded on a desktop for hardwired connections and the users want to use it wirelessly where 100% full floor coverage is a myth, and or roaming and or losing a packet breaks the session requiring the above point?
    • Is the server overwhelmed? Too many user connections, not enough licenses or seats to use the software?
    • Mis-configured or patched server software
    • Mis-configured or patched client software or OS (windows 10 is great for patching breaks into things that work)

Basically once you clear that clients are authenticated, authorized, and remain connected you can quit. But I like proving its really not me. I probably missed some poo poo to check and someone will add to it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
it's
⊂_ヽ
  \\ always
   \( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    > ⌒ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\DNS
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
ノ )  Lノ
(_/

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

I am Communist posted:

This isn't all inclusive but depending on what tools you have you can provide multiple data points to prove "its not my poo poo". In my environment I have office space, stores, warehouses, and manufacturing as well as hospitality with both indoor and outdoor wireless. So you know I have to hammer poo poo down. I always look at the weakest device as well as their capabilities. A hand scanner might not have as much TX power as say a laptop or other device. 2.4Ghz vs 5GHz capability and what devices prefer also has hosed me in the past. In any case I have to treat all issues equally as wireless is treated like a god-given right. In any case, I've seen odd things and its not all true in all cases.

I assume you have all the relevant info. MAC addresses, Device Hostnames, IP addresses, and a way to examine your organization's user authentication/authorization and access to all switches, routers, WLCs and APs.
  • First thing I log into my Network monitoring tool of choice(If you have one and get those logs and graphs and pie charts open). [I'll be checking this in a minute]
  • I also log into my WLC and check to see if the APs in the area are joined to the controller. If I have a disconnected AP do i have a coverage hole?
    • Even if my monitoring software shows on a heatmap that I do have coverage, the height at which my APs sit may look good to each other without obstructions an idiot employee may have put there.
      • Ok so I determine my APs are online and joined the controller. Which means I at least have a physical connection and my layer 2 is doing ok.
      • Does my joined online AP(s) have an IP? Its funny that I say this but I have APs that join a controller and sometimes don't get an IP. (0.0.0.0) This can be a host of reasons, like someone plugging my AP into a different port or a helpful lad re-configuring the VLAN on the port. Wrong DHCP relay info etc. Let's say I get one and move on.
    • Cool, do I have AP groups? Lets make sure my AP is in the correct group and or broadcasting the right SSIDs. They are.
  • Now I check logs on the WLC and any Network or syslogging tools as well as any place I can see client authentication.
    • Why is this important? Because bad passwords or joining the wrong SSID is common.
    • Or maybe the device doesn't have a cert and doesn't belong here.
  • Do I see any rejection or error messages?
    • I should see that the client is authenticated and what AP it is connected to as well as the mac-address and potentially a hostname and or username. (Depending on how your setup tracts such things.)
      • So I've kind of gotten layer 1/2 locked down. And we can test some things on layer 3.
  • This is where I would look at negotiated speeds vs actual throughput to/from the client.
    • This is where I see what it is negotiating at. 802.11a/b/g/n/ac and any enabled or supported rates.
    • I've got old poo poo and new poo poo. We had new laptops only capable of 2.4GHz (I poo poo you not) purchased last year.
    • Are my AP power levels too high? [People can see 5 bars from outside the building but cannot connect to the AP in the basement that it is coming from...]
    • Sometimes the devices (and there is variation between chipsets and antenna strengths, cannot reach back to the AP. So they connect inside then walk away, the client somehow is tricked and remains "connected".
      • Anyhoo, lets say my App is a bandwidth hog and my signal strength is low, my distance from the AP is high, my throughput is low etc. But in your case its not. So we can skip this.
      • Am I dropping packets?
      • Are my clients randomly dropping? Is it a roaming issue? Does my coverage of the area barely make it? (If you have Ekahau or Fluke Air Magnet software you can rule this out usually)
  • Lets say there are no physical issues and everything is great throughput wise and the clients are still having issues.
    • Check DNS - Really. If its good move on.
    • Next break out network monitoring tools have a packet capture like Cisco Prime Infrastructure, Aruba & ac os x wireless diagnostic tool to troubleshoot wireless/network issues in combination with the Controller like show datapath session. etc
      • Filter your captures and check to see if the server sends an error message when using the App.
      • Check the affect client power saving settings on all network hardware. If the device hibernates or goes to sleep and the user comes out of it are they trying to click click click before things wake up properly?
    • Docking and undocking laptops? Windows or local firewall rules?
    • Did the idiots users keep putting their laptops under metal desk hutches because it looks pretty? In a metal cabinet? Perhaps a chicken-wire mesh containment box or under/beside a trash can.
  • Ok so we've exhausted all of that now comes the fun part. Digging into the software.
    • Are there any heartbeat or keepalive packets that the software needs to maintain a connection?
    • If it misses one of these packets does it give a "network disconnected error" helpfully coded into the software, forcing the user to re-logon to the software as a "feature" even though the windows machine is still connected and online because the loss of one packet shouldn't derail everything?
    • Is the application not modern or was possibly coded on a desktop for hardwired connections and the users want to use it wirelessly where 100% full floor coverage is a myth, and or roaming and or losing a packet breaks the session requiring the above point?
    • Is the server overwhelmed? Too many user connections, not enough licenses or seats to use the software?
    • Mis-configured or patched server software
    • Mis-configured or patched client software or OS (windows 10 is great for patching breaks into things that work)

Basically once you clear that clients are authenticated, authorized, and remain connected you can quit. But I like proving its really not me. I probably missed some poo poo to check and someone will add to it.

Thanks, this is very thorough. I think I have already done most of this (and some of it doesn't apply, like there's no WLC) but I'll dig in and make sure I haven't missed anything.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
You could try installing netbeez on a raspberry pi with an external dual band usb stick. Leave it in the problem area and see if you get anything interesting from a client perspective. https://netbeez.net/blog/turn-your-raspberry-pi-into-a-wireless-monitoring-sensor/

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

RPi tryna get a netbeezy

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Curious, what’s everyone experience with Sailpoint?

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Tab8715 posted:

Curious, what’s everyone experience with Sailpoint?

It's alright, spent a fortune on implementation consultants and needed a full time developer for several years to smooth things out though. Used to poo poo the bed if you requested more than a dozen entitlements at once, not sure if that was on us or the product. It may still do it, not something I do with any regularity.

Probably want dedicated support staff for it as well, though I'm sure that'd depend on how active your deployment is.

The windows login screen client was pretty cool in W7, I haven't seen a version that works in W10 yet.

Take what I say with a grain of salt though, I'm just a user who was close but still an outside observer of the initial implementation and subsequent issues.

PBS fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 29, 2018

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Just got fired. Not a team player. Not willing to jump in on my off time I guess.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Just got fired. Not a team player. Not willing to jump in on my off time I guess.

You probably feel like poo poo but good riddance to that guy

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, you're better off. That guy is going to run anyone who is decently skilled out of town. Dumb.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Sorry to hear that, getting fired usually sucks but as the other goons already said you’re better off somewhere else.

Hooe it doesn’t impact you badly financially.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Apply for unemployment immediately. I'm sorry to hear that but like others have said it's probably for the best :smith:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Wait, you're the one who got called in when you were literally in the dentist chair on your day off, right? What the gently caress?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Sorry to hear that :smith:

But yeah, like the others have said. it's probably for the best.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Welcome to the great US of A.

Taste that freedom.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Just in the future, when dealing with people who aren't reasonable its always best to ignore and not engage.

Zapf Dingbat posted:

quote:

Ops Manager:
Zapf Dingbat, can you call one of our techs and assist him with bridging two AP?

Zapf:
I'm off today

Ops Manager:
What? Who approved that?

Zapf:
It's my regular schedule
I'm working Sunday

Ops Manager:
So, in the time it took you to answer me you could have quickly assisted the tech.

Zapf:
from the dentist's office?

Ops Manager:
Not the point. Who sets your schedule?

Zapf:
it's a schedule that's been set for like a year now.... we have rotating weekend work

Ops Manager:
That's about to change.

Zapf:
ok then

Ops Manager:
Sorry to disturb you on your day off then.

The conversation you had here with a reasonable person isn't a big deal. This conversation with an unreasonable person isn't doing yourself any favors. It all comes down to "how does this benefit me?" and engaging in arguments with unreasonable people that outrank you never works in your favor.

When on PTO, even in a small company, reserve your replies to only reasonable people in emergencies and go radio silent on everything else. Not taking the calls of an unreasonable person will make them furious, but less furious than telling them that its your day off and that you can't do whatever dumb thing they are asking.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

yeah, good point.

Thanks everyone.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Another question for the thread,

Is technical compensation (IT and Software Development) as generous as it is in the United States?

If it isn’t, why?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Is this the same rear end in a top hat company that wanted to fine people actual money for a bunch of bullshit infractions??

Internet Explorer posted:

Taste that freedom.

Eat a dick. Actually eat all of the dicks.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

lol - what?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Internet Explorer posted:

Taste that freedom.

Preemptive "pull up, thread!"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thanks Ants posted:

Preemptive "pull up, thread!"

This thread is at-will posting.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

How dare you besmirch our great nation.

:bustem:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

Eat the moldy dick of freedom as you work 12 hours a day and die of easily treatable illness.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Eat the moldy dick of freedom as you work 12 hours a day and die of easily treatable illness.

You ate the moldy dick? That's a pre-existing condition and we're taking away your insurance because of it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm going to assume that he thought that was my only response to Zapf. It was my bad for not quoting CLAM DOWN, since I was directly replying to him. A reply snuck in between.

If you somehow think the US is great because you can be fired for responding but saying that you are not available, on your scheduled day off, while at the dentist, then I guess ~you~ can eat all the dicks. Or let's go with something else, because it's 2018 and there's way too many derogatory remarks thrown around in our industry that are offensive to gay men (or straight women).

#BeBetter thread
#BeBest

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 29, 2018

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm going to find out if I can deffer my employer insurance for a year so I can afford the deductible the next.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

AlternateAccount posted:

Nationalism? How declasse!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

Just in the future, when dealing with people who aren't reasonable its always best to ignore and not engage.

The conversation you had here with a reasonable person isn't a big deal. This conversation with an unreasonable person isn't doing yourself any favors. It all comes down to "how does this benefit me?" and engaging in arguments with unreasonable people that outrank you never works in your favor.

When on PTO, even in a small company, reserve your replies to only reasonable people in emergencies and go radio silent on everything else. Not taking the calls of an unreasonable person will make them furious, but less furious than telling them that its your day off and that you can't do whatever dumb thing they are asking.

I'm loving angry for him about this. This is loving shocking and not remotely a fireable offense in any way shape or form. How on earth is this not wrongful termination? How on earth is this remotely excusable? How does responding that way in any way reflect negatively on him? Telling a pissy manager that you can't help with something because you're at a dentist on your APPROVED day off is something he should be careful of??

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CLAM DOWN posted:

How on earth is this not wrongful termination?

Because unless his contract actually spells out conditions in which he can be let go in an explicit way (likely doesn't) or it could be proved that this was due to discrimination of a protected class, it's not wrongful termination.

That's the way employment works for the vast majority of people in the US. Your manager could not like the color of your shirt and fire you if they wanted.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm loving angry for him about this. This is loving shocking and not remotely a fireable offense in any way shape or form. How on earth is this not wrongful termination? How on earth is this remotely excusable? How does responding that way in any way reflect negatively on him? Telling a pissy manager that you can't help with something because you're at a dentist on your APPROVED day off is something he should be careful of??

At-will employment owns.

'merica.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Well, to be fair, I was put on call for the second weekend in a row without me knowing, and I asked in a public channel whether I was going to get paid for a second weekend. This was before we were told we didn't get on call pay anymore. Apparently the schedule had changed from Friday thru thursday, to Monday thru Sunday. That meant I was put on call for a couple of extra days.
I said sorry, I have plans this weekend and I wasn't aware of the schedule change.

This morning on the call where I got fired, the manager said "do you think that was a good thing to say?" That was the last straw for him.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

IANAL (as I have proved in this thread many times), and he should definitely talk to an attorney, but in the US, unless you can somehow prove that he was fired due to being a protected class it is not clear cut. You basically have to prove that the company fired you because of that incident when in reality they can just claim that they weren't happy with you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrongful_dismissal#United_States

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I'll be surprised if I got unemployment benefits. Only time I was ever able to get that was after I did census work.

Then again, now I'm in Georgia and not Alabama. I know not much of an upgrade but gently caress Alabama.