Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

bonds0097 posted:

Help me goons! I have been bitten by the bug to build and paint a Custodes army but I can't quite decide on how to do my gold. I plan on doing the studio scheme of gold, red and leather, with blue gems. Can't quite decide which of these three will work best.

I'm an 'eavy metal kinda guy and like the strong contrasts of the left mans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I like the middle.

There's a 15% off coupon coming up on eBay, are there any good paint sets that this thread would recommend?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The guy on the left, for sure.

Contrast is good.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

always be closing posted:

I like the middle.

There's a 15% off coupon coming up on eBay, are there any good paint sets that this thread would recommend?

If you're looking for a full paint set, I'd consider Scalecolor or the new Vallejo Mecha color. Both go for around $250 on ebay normally.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

always be closing posted:

I like the middle.

If you have an airbrush, the badger ghost tints are great.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

bonds0097 posted:

Help me goons! I have been bitten by the bug to build and paint a Custodes army but I can't quite decide on how to do my gold. I plan on doing the studio scheme of gold, red and leather, with blue gems. Can't quite decide which of these three will work best.

Left most or middle IMO, with stronger left leanings.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

bonds0097 posted:

Left by far

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I think they all have their place. Leftmost is a battlefield worn suit, dull and burnished from a life in combat. Middle is from some buy that's been guarding a door all his life, faded from standing in the sun too long. Third is owned by a keener that does a lot of parade duty, constantly polishing his armor to look it's best.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Working on another shipping container that’s slowly sinking into the swamp. Here it is before I wait 12 hours for everything to harden enough so I go to the next step.

Gonna be filled with bioslime after ten years pass and the water effects fully cure.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Been working on the Primaris Marines for the last couple of days. Got one pretty much done. Either the Ultramarine scheme is just really quick and easy to do, or I'm getting faster at doing these.

I think I messed up when doing the spray primer, since it seems like there are some clogged up details. Don't know if it's because I did it right after a light rain, I got the can too close, or if I just sprayed too much on.

It wasn't until after I did most of the base painting that I realized that the blue I was using was too bright for the Ultramarine scheme. I've yet to do a wash, but maybe that and some touch-up will make them look better.

Badablack posted:

Working on another shipping container that’s slowly sinking into the swamp. Here it is before I wait 12 hours for everything to harden enough so I go to the next step.

Gonna be filled with bioslime after ten years pass and the water effects fully cure.

Wouldn't you want to paint it before doing effects like that?

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Nah that’s just filler goop to seal the interior and make some slime textures, I got a ton of water effects in a trade and use it like easy set greenstuff. When it’s painted I’ll fill the bottom with water and do the slimecicles over.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
Thanks for the feedback guys! I am not sure how well the left one will contrast with red but since custodes have way more raised detail than stormcast, I imagine the gold itself will get a lot more contrast of brighter and darker areas. I will probably do two models to completion in the middle and left schemes and then make a final decision.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I wonder if brush-on vantablack will ever be commercially viable in mini pots. If it does, I might start collecting Raven Guard.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Loomer posted:

I wonder if brush-on vantablack will ever be commercially viable in mini pots. If it does, I might start collecting Raven Guard.

You may have some trouble shading it.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

bonds0097 posted:

You may have some trouble shading it.

It'd be hella-useful as a recess shade on a more conventional black, though.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Loomer posted:

No, because you're not Anish Kapoor.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Badablack posted:

I'm loving these, I haven't seen those containers themed to a board before outside of the traincar conversion.

Eifert Posting posted:

And he hasn't posted photos?!

Mods?!

i gotchu fam

Any of y'all who follow me on social media will likely have already seen at least some of this stuff, but I'm dropping my fire mixtape a big fat Army August post with my House Lakar Fusiliers! I've teased them on the Badcast a bunch but I didn't want to post any pictures until I got everything all painted and together. So anyway, here's my counts-as Cadian battalion, the House Lakar Fusiliers:

Vassal Jean Pierre Renault (company commander)

Bannerman Klaas von Skara (Kell)

Penitent witch in Auto-Repenitant (Primaris psyker)

Squad 1

Squad 2

Squad 3

And everything I'm bringing to NOVA:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Loomer posted:

Vantablack already looks like something's wrong at full size. On a scale model it'd be way off and just look bad.

It would be cool if it could be somehow put into a pin wash for the ultimate cell shade panel liner, but I don't think the chemistry would work for that.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Anywhere have airbrush sales or good prices for a Canadian boy? Read the OP and i'm going to take the plunge.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
It's a good day to decide to get an airbrush setip because ebay has 15% off everything today using code PREGAME15

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Loomer posted:

Vantablack isn't a paint. It also requires 100s of degrees Celsius for application, if you touch it you'll damage it, it's prohibitively expensive, and you (not being Anish Kapoor) do not have the rights to use it in art.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
There’s a vantablack substitute you can get that’s much cheaper and doesn’t burst into flames if you look at it wrong. Also you and everyone who isn’t Anish Kapoor are allowed to use it.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Badablack posted:

There’s a vantablack substitute you can get that’s much cheaper and doesn’t burst into flames if you look at it wrong. Also you and everyone who isn’t Anish Kapoor are allowed to use it.

He got some :argh:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Badablack posted:

And its not anywhere near as good. It's a super matte black, it's not vantablack.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Mikey Purp posted:

It's a good day to decide to get an airbrush setip because ebay has 15% off everything today using code PREGAME15

Nice!

Is the badger patriot 155 comparable, better or worse than the 105?

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 29, 2018

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Today I learned that I hate painting Skitarii rangers because holy crap they have so many fiddly bits and details and I don't have the brush control to not gently caress everything up.

The worst part is I have 8 more of these bastards to go and I orderd a box of Sicarians with the ebay coupon :negative:

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Is the badger patriot 155 comparable, better or worse than the 105?

The 155 is a bottom siphon feed which isn't quite as versatile for using small amounts of paint like you might miniature painting.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Is it just me or doesn't the one Catachian head in that set look like a bad photoshop in every photo it's in?

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
I've spent the last few days taking a painting class. Roman Lappat's Beignner painting class at the NOVA Open. I painted a Daemonette.

Things I learned in the class (not a comprehensive list):
1. Using a wet palette
2. Wet blending
3. Base building
4. How Roman does stuff like paint eyes
5. How to be "free" when choosing colors and applying layers

If you ever get a chance to take a class from this guy, do it. He's super friendly, but punctual and organized, probably because he's German. He has a very relaxed way of starting out a model and I couldn't be more thrilled to learn at is instruction.

I've been at the Hyatt for 3 full days and NOVA hasn't even started yet.

EDIT: and before anyone asks, yes I did shade my blacks.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
^^^ holy poo poo that daemonnette

x-post

Two Beans posted:

NOVA crunch time progress, no lightbox.

Lost Sons Chaos Lord on Disc of Tzeentch and Exalted Champion of Tzeentch

---

11 marines left.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sex Cannon posted:

I've spent the last few days taking a painting class. Roman Lappat's Beignner painting class at the NOVA Open. I painted a Daemonette.

Fuckin A dude, that's a killer paintjob. The mottling or whatever is a great touch.

Eifert Posting posted:

Is it just me or doesn't the one Catachian head in that set look like a bad photoshop in every photo it's in?

not a bug it's a feature, etc.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Painted more tonight! Couldn't find any alcohol to use these rust pigments I got. I want to do some better blood splatter on them that looks good but couldn't find a good technique. I find myself getting a lot of analysis paralysis and fear of loving up good work I need to push through.

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 29, 2018

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Painted more tonight! Couldn't find any alcohol to use these rust pigments I got. I want to do some better blood splatter on them that looks good but couldn't find a good technique. I find myself getting a lot of analysis paralysis and fear of loving up good work I need to push through.

Those guys are looking good.

I find that I have 2 things that help me get through analysis paralysis and fear of loving up:
1) Test poo poo. I tend to use spoons because my biggest spots of paralysis are trying to decide exactly which shades I want to use for things, so I start airbrushing gradients on spoons until I find what I want. I know someone else who uses necromunda bulkhead doors to test different weathering techniques, since you can get 10 of them for under $30 and they've got lots of good texture.

2) Admit that you're going to gently caress up and push through to completion. When I start weathering something it looks terrible until I'm completely finished, and going from a perfectly highlighted super clean paint job to starting to mess it up freaks me out. If you can accept that things may not look great until completed, stick to your plan, and finish it you can put yourself in a good position to analyze what you do and don't like about it and make changes for the next guy. And these are just models, if it looks really really terrible you can just strip it (but only after you've done the next model you're using that technique on), or if it's fairly close and you're nitpicking you can improve for the next model, and leave it alone on this one confident that it won't be seen in the middle of a unit.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
This is probably a really dumb question, but how should I prime unassembled bits?

There are several parts I want to paint before assembling, how do I physically prime them? Can I just lay everything out on some cardboard and spray it down, wait for it to dry and flip it over? Will that give me any trouble with sticking to the cardboard or gross lines or anything?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Network42 posted:

This is probably a really dumb question, but how should I prime unassembled bits?

There are several parts I want to paint before assembling, how do I physically prime them? Can I just lay everything out on some cardboard and spray it down, wait for it to dry and flip it over? Will that give me any trouble with sticking to the cardboard or gross lines or anything?

That works just fine.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Network42 posted:

I would consider sticking the surfaces that are going to be glued later with poster tack or something to keep the primer off of them. You could also put them on toothpicks to be easier to hold off of a surface, especially if you're painting them unassembled. If you have a box with narrow or squished corrugated cardboard, you can just stick the toothpicks in there to hold them upright while they're not being handled.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Network42 posted:

I use a pin vice to drill holes into bits that won't show when the model is assembled, then superglue lengths of paperclip into the holes, then put them in corks.

Later on I bought some of these, which are handier than using individual corks, since I can fit a whole model on one and then do like five models all disassembled like that without worrying about keeping straight which part goes where. Though I do need to take the bits off and put them on a single smaller cork when I'm working on it (except for the main body, working on which entails taking all the other bits off and laying them out.

(Also, uh, I don't actually drink anything that uses corks, so I ended up buying that original set of wine corks off amazon. I don't know why amazon sells used wine cork batches, but I couldn't find new wine corks for sale anywhere, so.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 29, 2018

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

YES ULTHUAN GREY DESERVES TO DIE! AND I HOPE IT BURNS IN HELL!

Edit: I think im gonna give sub assembly a try again, now that I have a paint on Primer.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

The Sex Cannon posted:

She/it looks amazing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

YES ULTHUAN GREY DESERVES TO DIE! AND I HOPE IT BURNS IN HELL!

Those are fighting words. Ulthuan Grey has been my go-to for white and I love it.