Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

That too. Having a game with permadeath but a bunch of unlocks and upgrades that carry over between characters seems to be a really popular feature, but... that's like the opposite of what permadeath is supposed to be.

In Nethack you could find the corpses and (heavily cursed) inventories of your previous dead adventurers. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Hammer Bro. posted:

Into the Breach is an immensely satisfying puzzle game wrapped up in turn-based-strategy mechanics. The primary gimmick is that you can see each action that the enemy intends to take on their turn, and they will still take those actions, but during your turn you can push them or block them or kill them or flip them around in order to either get them dead or, at least, protect the buildings.

You win each map by surviving a set number of turns, regardless of how many enemies remain. This is a good thing, as you are always fighting an extremely uphill battle. Conversely, when you come up with the genius play that turns devastation into perfection, you'll be awash in a well-earned sense of accomplishment. There's also a once-per-map undo-the-last-turn button, which is both useful and cleverly wrapped into the narrative.

The graphics are fine, the music is great, the narrative is subtle but well-thought-out, and the replayability is nearly endless -- the only reason I stopped playing was that it got too easy for me, but the majority of the complaints about the game are that it's too hard. I contend that there are no unwinnable situations, though that's harder to prove than my friend's complaints of sometimes being screwed by the RNG.

It's an incredibly well-thought-out experience that was perfectly executed. If it sounds at all enticing, you won't regret it.

I'm double dipping.

Into the Breach is like roguelike gundam chess

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I was going to probably pick up Monhun for the long weekend but may do into the breach instead...

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I've put like 100 hours in Into the Breach on PC. Will immediately be picking this up whenever it's added to eShop.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Just buy a refurbished Switch like I did. You can even pick your joycon colors.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's a shame that Invisible Inc, an insanely good game, one that would be perfect for the Switch, isn't currently planned for it.

I can't be the only one who feels this way.

you're not, as the devs at Klei on Twitter have said to people with a similar take: they're focusing on getting Mark of the Ninja up to snuff first, then will likely get around to Invisible Inc. It's definitely in the cards but they have their hands full at the moment.

Ignite Memories posted:

Pretty much, and the RNG/roguelike mechanics are not oppressive or annoying at all. Missions and runs themselves are very bitesize so you can have quicker play sessions with less fat on it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tim Whatley posted:

I've put like 100 hours in Into the Breach on PC. Will immediately be picking this up whenever it's added to eShop.

Good news! https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/into-the-breach-switch

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

punk rebel ecks posted:

Just buy a refurbished Switch like I did. You can even pick your joycon colors.

Where does one find refurbs

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Oh nice, I really liked FTL and was considering Into The Breach but decided against it due to not wanting to play games on the computer anymore.

We really need a Switch Humble Bundle. There’s so many indie games I need to play.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Glad to see Wasteland 2 coming out very soon! I'm not super hype for it, but I want to see how this type of top down RPG will work on Switch.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Just got ItB. It's out in Europe at least.

Still can't find that Indie channel.

Barudak posted:

Its not a bad game at all, I rather enjoyed it, it just it isnt Zelda or Dark Souls or Metroid like some people try to spin it as. If what you want is something Zelda esque skip it, as its not particularly easy either.

Ah shoot. Yeah Zelda was my first point of reference. And after HK and Celeste I'm a bit burnt out on "tough" games maybe I'll this one out for at least a bit.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Ignite Memories posted:

This really is a fitting description. I have been fairly critical of the game in a thread or two + discord, largely due to that once the game clicks for you it becomes very very easy. After ~15 hours with it I felt I had done everything it had to offer, but it really is an "Advanced Edition" update away from being amazing with some more mech/enemy variety and some Daily Challenges tasking you to do specific loadouts/etc.

Despite loudly and frequently critiquing the game, I'll probably double dip and get it for my next flight in hopes that it gets an update in the future, and to continue throwing money at Subset because I can only buy FTL on so many devices.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Where does one find refurbs

for NoA: https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat960088
and also: https://www.ebay.com/str/nintendo
Ebay is very worth looking at because they've been doing a lot of broad X% off coupons recently (check the deals thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2408877&pagenumber=1438&perpage=40#post487439514)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Tempted by ITB. Is it approachable for someone who is sort of new to the genre?

It doesn't require touch controls, does it?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Feenix posted:

Tempted by ITB. Is it approachable for someone who is sort of new to the genre?

It doesn't require touch controls, does it?

it's very forgiving and although it's pretty simple, there are many complexities to the mechs you bring in and how to solve problems. It's definitely not as punishing or plagued with fairly bullshit RNG situations as FTL or even Darkest Dungeon (I like both games.)

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
where is wargroove you jerks

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Only the switch is a refurb and it comes with Nintendo's full year warranty, the rest is new. Poor punctuation on my part.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

it's very forgiving and although it's pretty simple, there are many complexities to the mechs you bring in and how to solve problems. It's definitely not as punishing or plagued with fairly bullshit RNG situations as FTL or even Darkest Dungeon (I like both games.)

To add to this, the game rarely puts you into a position that isn't "winnable". If you think through your moves on Normal difficulty you pretty much always should win. Any trouble you get into will be the result of poor positioning/prioritization/chasing secondary objectives poorly. Even if you gently caress up, you just lose the pilot not the mech and can very easily recover from a dead mech in a level. Or if you lose everything, campaigns themselves are very short and you never really lose much progress. FTL always seemed to find a way to craft the perfect gently caress you to whatever god killing ship you constructed - that really isn' the case here.

corn on the cop posted:

Who loving knows. It was one of my "reason to get a switch" games and now i just try to forget it exists.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

corn on the cop posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tiyuri/s...935632593674241
https://mobile.twitter.com/Tiyuri/s...937468331474944

It's coming.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

corn on the cop posted:

It was supposedly playable at gamescom though I haven't seen the impressions I was expecting to. Still on its way, anyway
https://twitter.com/Tiyuri/status/1032935632593674241

oops beaten

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

DLC Inc posted:

you're not, as the devs at Klei on Twitter have said to people with a similar take: they're focusing on getting Mark of the Ninja up to snuff first, then will likely get around to Invisible Inc. It's definitely in the cards but they have their hands full at the moment.

Pretty much, and the RNG/roguelike mechanics are not oppressive or annoying at all. Missions and runs themselves are very bitesize so you can have quicker play sessions with less fat on it.

Oh my god, this is the best news!

This whole ItB talk of 'seeing your enemy's moves' is also very true of Invisible Inc. It having a Switch version, even down the road, is fantastic.

Everyone should play it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't have time for all that poo poo, I'd have gladly paid full $15 last year for just the single player campaign

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

A Jukebox and Codex...?

We're not talking about Smash here

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Really, how dare they take time and pride in polishing their game to their personal standards and satisfaction. Will game devs ever learn?? Shove that poo poo out cheap and halfassed, gamers love it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Manky posted:

Really, how dare they take time and pride in polishing their game to their personal standards and satisfaction. Will game devs ever learn?? Shove that poo poo out cheap and halfassed, gamers love it

Yes, actually

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Kaubocks posted:

how much is into the breach :staredog:

drat I wish I hadn't gotten Darkest Dungeon now.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Definitely worked for thread-favorite, Tiny Metal

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh man Tiny Metal was such a disappointment.

Wargroove should take its time I guess

KingBomber69
Feb 25, 2018

by VideoGames
Nintendo Switch may as well revolutionize all of video gaming.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it's certainly revolutionized my bedroom

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yooooooooooooooooooooo, I just randomly got this by copying the style of the Into the Breach URL posted above:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/broforce-switch

3...2...1.......LETS GOOOOOOOO

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yooooooooooooooooooooo, I just randomly got this by copying the style of the Into the Breach URL posted above:

lol this is awesome but you can just search for the game on their site too

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, haha I didnt realize it came up in search already, it didnt a day or so ago :ms:

I'm just way too excited for Broforce

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=broforce+switch

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Wasn't Onimusha the game that Sony described to have "realistic battles from Japan's history," and "so here's a giant enemy crab..." in the same sentence?

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I really liked Hyper Light Drifter and am planning on double dipping, but it's not for everyone. The game oozes atmosphere and is crammed with Environmental StorytellingTM which is why it's mentioned in the same breaths as Hollow Knight. The combat and platforming, however, are a bit more tuned for agile, adept players and it capitalizes on speedrunning possibilities. It's definitely challenging but never overwhelming.

The true star is the soundtrack by Disasterpeace (guy who did the Fez OST and It Follows), though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW4woahDtN4

f#a# fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 28, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No that was Genji: Days of the Blade

They're v similar though

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Waffle! posted:

Wasn't Onimusha the game that Sony described to have "realistic battles from Japan's history," and "so here's a giant enemy crab..." in the same sentence?

Onimush was how can we make Resident Evil with swords.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Towerfall and Into The Breach are both literally perfect games. They're small in scope but execute on their gameplay perfectly, which is super rare in games nowadays!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Waffle! posted:

Onimusha and Devil May Cry were supposedly planned as Resident Evil sequels iirc.

• Locked thread