Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPuBRzEWNs8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
I may get a snes classic

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

blaise rascal

why do video gamers feel compelled to say things like "that is the greatest video game ever made" or "that is the greatest game soundtrack ever made"? it's not like anyone reads a book and then rushes out to tell their friends about how that book is better than any other book that has ever been written

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

blaise rascal posted:

why do video gamers feel compelled to say things like "that is the greatest video game ever made" or "that is the greatest game soundtrack ever made"? it's not like anyone reads a book and then rushes out to tell their friends about how that book is better than any other book that has ever been written

decades of advertising has turned their brains to mush

everything is the best or worst ever, no exceptions

that said, the dark souls iii strategy guide is the best book ever written

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

It's a very good game, but I think Donkey King is the best game of all time.

Donkey Kong sucks!

You know something? You suck!

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I played Danganronpa 1 and 2 a few years ago and got 3 for Christmas. Before starting on 3, I figured I'd watch a recap of the previous games as a refresher. The recap was nearly incomprehensible. I remember those being weird but hearing the plot summarized all in a row like that sounded like someone was just reading timecube.

Vault Dweller

blaise rascal posted:

people absolutely do this with every medium

blaise rascal

101 posted:

people absolutely do this with every medium
Personally, I have never heard anyone say the phrase "the greatest song ever written" but your mileage may vary

Rockman Reserve

Jolo posted:

I played Danganronpa 1 and 2 a few years ago and got 3 for Christmas. Before starting on 3, I figured I'd watch a recap of the previous games as a refresher. The recap was nearly incomprehensible. I remember those being weird but hearing the plot summarized all in a row like that sounded like someone was just reading timecube.

dr3 is kind of the anti-dr/2. in the first two games the overarching plot is a bilious phlegmatic mess of putrid nonsense but the cases are fun

in dr3 the cases are mediocre but the plot is great and (imo) is the only thing that makes the series as a whole 'good'. ymmv of course.

take the moon

by sebmojo

blaise rascal posted:

Personally, I have never heard anyone say the phrase "the greatest song ever written" but your mileage may vary

dadrockers are full of this opinion

ive been playing Jamestown. the charge is p powerful, its taken me to stage III on legendary but i havent got past it yet

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
video games?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
yeah, i've played them

Nosfereefer

*spits*

Nosfereefer

... they're all right i guess

Twenty Four

Nosfereefer posted:

video games?

Nosfereefer posted:

yeah, i've played them

Played them? *cracks knuckles* Try living them.

Nosfereefer

for most of you casuals, it's merely a video game

me? i live the video life

Twenty Four

Nosfereefer posted:

for most of you casuals, it's merely a video game

me? i live the video life

Rockman Reserve

you say i have no life

but im a gamer

i have three- wait shoot didn't see those spikes there

Scaly Haylie

i'm curious, what do y'all call those fights in games where the correct outcome (for plot advancement) is to lose? i always called them must-die battles.

also would really love to hear everyone's personal terminology for other specific game stuff

Bobby Deluxe

cutscene lethality: a bioware centric problem where a heavily armoured knight who has just taken six fireballs and several axes to the head during gameplay is murdered like a little bitch by a dagger in a cutscene

see also pistols in mass effect

Scaly Haylie

i've got mass effect 1 and 2 on steam but never really delved into them, should i?

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Yes. If you want to.

----------------

Silver Alicorn

Lizard Wizard posted:

i've got mass effect 1 and 2 on steam but never really delved into them, should i?

mass effect 1 has clunky controls and bad mechanics but it's "necessary" if you want the story and to make certain choices that carry over to 2

2 has an interesting episodic plot and more refined gameplay, I started with 2 and never finished 1

you can download premade saves from mass effect 1 and use them if you want to jump straight into 2 with certain plot choices made. maybe for a 2nd playthrough

http://www.masseffectsaves.com/

I like mass effect :shobon:

Scaly Haylie

oh hey, thanks for the info! what's a good class in 1 if i'm just, like, real bad at shooters?

Bobby Deluxe

Lizard Wizard posted:

oh hey, thanks for the info! what's a good class in 1 if i'm just, like, real bad at shooters?
biotic is a sort of space wizard, but i usually played sentinel. it gives you overload to strip shields, warp to strip armour, and then throw to womp them across the room, and in 2 and 3 it gives you armour. i dont remember which is best in 1.

mass effect 1 has not aged well but if you have never played it before you will probably like it, most people just get shirty because people tend to get to bits like noveria after having replayed it four or five times and go 'oh christ not this again'

it is a huge game though with long main quests so prepare yourself for that

the underlying combat mechanics change completely in 2 though and vanguard becomes the correct and most fun class to play

3 is good, the ending is slightly better now, kai leng is a weeb mary sue and the citadel dlc is like a love letter to the entire series and should be considered the real ending

also javik in 3 has possibly the best line of dialogue in any video game ever

E: most importantly, just use the default male face in mass effect 1. you can make some really good faces but i guarantee the second your character appears in the unskippable intro cutscene you will nope the gently caress out and restart the game in horror

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 27, 2018

Silver Alicorn

Bobby Deluxe posted:

E: most importantly, just use the default male face in mass effect 1.

male ?? ???

Twenty Four

food court bailiff posted:

you say i have no life

but im a gamer

i have three- wait shoot didn't see those spikes there

lol

TalkingBasically

Lizard Wizard posted:

i'm curious, what do y'all call those fights in games where the correct outcome (for plot advancement) is to lose? i always called them must-die battles.

also would really love to hear everyone's personal terminology for other specific game stuff
those are called "thanks for speaking english next applicant please"
because you shouldn't have a lose state as part of a game, but that's just what I think

TOOT BOOT

I like hard failure states in games. You die in a roguelike you lose everything.

Scaly Haylie

TalkingBasically posted:

those are called "thanks for speaking english next applicant please"
because you shouldn't have a lose state as part of a game, but that's just what I think

i think that encountering an enemy that cannot be beaten can serve as a narrative device, thank you very much

Bobby Deluxe

the problem is that games just hire tv and movie writers assuming the skills are transferrable. so the writer will attempt to increase the tension by upping the stakes for the main character and every loving time they do this by taking agency away from the player in a primarily interactive media

the gta series are the worst. there are a ton of chase missions where if the dude escapes or you kill them you fail and have to do it again. but if you succeed, you get a cutscene where they escape or you are finally allowed to kill them and its like ffs.

similarly missions where you fail if the dude you're protecting dies during the protection mission only to have them die during the cutscene afterwards

TalkingBasically

Bobby Deluxe posted:

the problem is that games just hire tv and movie writers assuming the skills are transferrable. so the writer will attempt to increase the tension by upping the stakes for the main character and every loving time they do this by taking agency away from the player in a primarily interactive media

the gta series are the worst. there are a ton of chase missions where if the dude escapes or you kill them you fail and have to do it again. but if you succeed, you get a cutscene where they escape or you are finally allowed to kill them and its like ffs.

similarly missions where you fail if the dude you're protecting dies during the protection mission only to have them die during the cutscene afterwards

like this isn't good enough, said the cloud-colored-cloud

TalkingBasically fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Aug 28, 2018

Twenty Four

Designing a new game where the only way to get "the good ending" is to fail at every boss fight.

TalkingBasically

Twenty Four posted:

Designing a new game where the only way to get "the good ending" is to fail at every boss fight.

thing is thats undertales pacifism

Nosfereefer

undertale is real good btw

Bobby Deluxe

im sort of playing the stanley parable

Nosfereefer

im playing 7 days to die, which is quite buggy and also good. still a bunch of sexualized zombies which is kind of weird and icky

base building is v chill, but doing most stuff requires scavenging nearby towns and farmhouses. this is very intense while high. basically any zombie movie scene when someone thinks a room is safe

blaise rascal

Nosfereefer posted:

undertale is real good btw

blaise rascal

here is what you need to know if you want to play undertale:

-don't read any spoilers other than this post
-you can beat the game in one of three ways, either by killing every monster (the "genocide" run), by sparing and befriending every monster (the "pacifist" run), or by acting in between the two extremes (a "normal" run). each of theses three routes greatly changes the game and the ending. on your first playthrough, don't worry about trying to do any particular type of run. the odds are overwhelmingly high that you will just get the normal in-between ending. the pacifist run is unavailable until you've beaten the game at least once, and the genocide run is only started if you do some very specific things that are not immediately obvious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe

im still playing the stanley parable :psyduck: