Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Pretty much release order. Each big box starts off a new cycle/campaign followed by five (six?) expansions that are a part of the cycle and campaign narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah release order is great, with Curse of the Rougarou and Carnevale of Horrors being good standalones you can add in at any time.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

MeinPanzer posted:

Oh right; no I don't think they did. It always struck me as a weird, fiddly mechanic that's interesting but would probably be annoying as a full-blown strategy. It reminds me a little of Ante cards in early MTG card, which one player could take from another during play.

Ante was actually more bonkers than that. The core MTG rules included Ante as a standard rule. You randomly selected a card out of your deck and if you won you'd get to keep your card and the opponent's ante card. It was a cute mechanic for all of 2 seconds it took for Black Lotus to become the most expensive MTG card ever. There were a few cards that interacted with the Ante mechanic, but AFAIK it never really got anywhere because no one wanted to lose a chase rare to some shlub running an infinite combo or something.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Finster Dexter posted:

Ante was actually more bonkers than that. The core MTG rules included Ante as a standard rule. You randomly selected a card out of your deck and if you won you'd get to keep your card and the opponent's ante card. It was a cute mechanic for all of 2 seconds it took for Black Lotus to become the most expensive MTG card ever. There were a few cards that interacted with the Ante mechanic, but AFAIK it never really got anywhere because no one wanted to lose a chase rare to some shlub running an infinite combo or something.

I actually played Magic when it first came out and we used ante for a brief period during Revised but quickly abandoned it because of the inherent unevenness of it and we were kids that could barely afford a booster pack. I remember opening a revised pack, and then immediately selling the rare (Demonic Tutor) back to the store for enough money to buy another pack just so I could get more cards.

It's pretty amazing in hindsight how long that mechanic actually lasted.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PaybackJack posted:

I actually played Magic when it first came out and we used ante for a brief period during Revised but quickly abandoned it because of the inherent unevenness of it and we were kids that could barely afford a booster pack. I remember opening a revised pack, and then immediately selling the rare (Demonic Tutor) back to the store for enough money to buy another pack just so I could get more cards.

It's pretty amazing in hindsight how long that mechanic actually lasted.

Demonic Tutor was uncommon, not rare, so you made a good deal on that.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Jedit posted:

Demonic Tutor was uncommon, not rare, so you made a good deal on that.

Oh yeah, but it was still in like $3 Scrye price at the time. My rare was probably like Farmstead or something.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Wilds of Rhovanion first impressions:

Not a fan of the way it requires core set encounter cards. It turned out fine in Arkham since you're usually doing a campaign and bring exactly what you need but in LOTR you could put a full cycle in a 330 count box for game night. Not anymore.

The first quest can counter a lot. It variously hates too many allies, too few, drawing too many cards, traps, having an active location, not having an active location, questing too quickly or too slowly and it even dumps on A Test of Will. Shadow cards injure defenders, others increase attack if your defender is damaged. It's pretty wild, but feels unusually swingy with the Evil Creatures deck. Back to back Hill Trolls round 1&2 still fucks up most board states but the chances of that have noticeably increased.

Best results so far are Hobbit/Ent secrecy, but there's still Gladden Fields to ruin that. I kinda like this mess. Scrying is good.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I've been buying deluxe expansions and selectively buying adventure packs up until the Against the Shadow cycle as well as some early Saga expansions, mainly with an eye to getting a hold of powerful player cards and fun individual quests. I've never bought any of the more recent deluxe expansions, but I'm tempted to try out Wilds of Rhovanion. Would it be worth getting now, or should I go with some other cycles first?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The Steam version of the Lord of the Rings LCG comes out on August 28 and they are releasing a special card game box set that is a bunch of Core Set physical cards combined with the Founder Pack digital stuff:
https://steamcommunity.com/games/509580/announcements/detail/1674658681936786191

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The footage of the game looked pretty bad. They seemed to have gutted most of the interesting mechanics, but I guess that may just be looking at a lens of "first set" where everything is sort of inherently boring.

Did they put shadow back in? I feel like losing that is just hilariously dumb, since there was so much design space and it's one of those mechanical things that an online game can actually help with a lot.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

MeinPanzer posted:

I've been buying deluxe expansions and selectively buying adventure packs up until the Against the Shadow cycle as well as some early Saga expansions, mainly with an eye to getting a hold of powerful player cards and fun individual quests. I've never bought any of the more recent deluxe expansions, but I'm tempted to try out Wilds of Rhovanion. Would it be worth getting now, or should I go with some other cycles first?

Rhovanion is unusually focused on a deck archetype (attachments on allies) for a big box, it feels like most of the player cards will work best in a deck together so it's pretty strong. The quests are a deliberate throwback though.

For me the overall quest design of the whole game only gets good with Lost Realm/Angmar Awakened so I'd suggest skipping Isengard/Ringmaker cycle. Lost Realm/Angmar has pretty strong focus on the Dunedain deck, and unique quests - Mount Gram is still top five for me.

Dream Chaser, softer focus and conditional cards, you gotta build for them. The entire cycle is sailing themed too so easy to dodge if you're not into that. I think it also, as a cycle, is the trickiest to run. Lot of triggers to remember. Harad reins it back in.

Haradrim cycle? I love it and the first adventure pack gives you three big fat power allies you'll never regret putting in a deck. The quests are all fun as hell.

Tldr - skip Ringmaker, do Lost Realm (full cycle) for a strong deck, Grey Havens for something different quest wise, Haradrim for plain fun quests and Rhovanion for a deck in a box. Hope that helps?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

GrandpaPants posted:

The footage of the game looked pretty bad. They seemed to have gutted most of the interesting mechanics, but I guess that may just be looking at a lens of "first set" where everything is sort of inherently boring.

I'm definitely reserving judgment until I play the game a bit, but I do find it really weird that they're simplifying the mechanics. The original game is a little fiddly but it's also very intuitive in a lot of ways, and the one annoyance about playing it is exactly what could be fixed with a digital version -- actually having to set up quests and keep track of all the card effects, including triggered effects, stacking, etc. I think the original game mechanics would actually have been perfectly suited to being transferred to a digital format.

Edit:

quote:

Tldr - skip Ringmaker, do Lost Realm (full cycle) for a strong deck, Grey Havens for something different quest wise, Haradrim for plain fun quests and Rhovanion for a deck in a box. Hope that helps?

That's perfect. Thanks!

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 22, 2018

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How is Ashes doing? I picked up the main pack and the big box expansions mostly because of the art, and it looks like there are a couple expansions still coming out. It looks fun from the videos I've watched as well!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Boco_T posted:

The Steam version of the Lord of the Rings LCG comes out on August 28 and they are releasing a special card game box set that is a bunch of Core Set physical cards combined with the Founder Pack digital stuff:
https://steamcommunity.com/games/509580/announcements/detail/1674658681936786191

It's $100 before shipping and exclusive to pre-order from the website. Rearrange the following words into a well known phrase or saying: Off gently caress.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Jedit posted:

It's $100 before shipping and exclusive to pre-order from the website. Rearrange the following words into a well known phrase or saying: Off gently caress.

Can I ask what seems to be the issue you have with any of that?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

$100 early access title for a f2p game screams all kinds of bad things to me too

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Bottom Liner posted:

$100 early access title for a f2p game screams all kinds of bad things to me too

It’s too expensive for me but at least they’re selling you a physical product too.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Yeah I mean, you're getting a modified core set (~$40 MSRP) and a unique playmat (~$20 MSRP), a One Ring replica ($???) plus all the digital perks. I'm not saying it's for everyone or even for very many people, but it seems pretty fairly costed.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That's true, and to be fair you could probably resell all of the physical stuff to completionists of the LCG.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Yeah, I don't even play the game but have considered ordering the kit just because I love the playmat, and then I'd just flip the rest of it (or maybe actually delve into the digital version, who knows)

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The playmat was what sold me, I'm a mark who was going to buy all the digital tiers anyway so the math worked out. More money than sense when it comes to card games.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Rhovanion's second quest (Lost in Mirkwood) seems to have a pretty glaring proofing error. The setup refers to a card that's in a set only used in the first quest, so as far as the quest's concerned it doesn't exist. Can't figure out whether it's just a mistake or they've changed setup rules.

It also has a mechanic that's unique but unexplained and depending on how you interpret it, can lead to being unable to progress. In fact, I think you can get into that situation anyway. It seems very poorly designed.

agscala
Jul 12, 2008

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/6/6/heroes-of-terrinoth/

FFG announced a new co-op LCG.

I think I read somewhere that it's in the same vein as a Warhammer LCG they used to have. Did anyone play that one?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Seems pretty cool, I guess Terrinoth is a FFG-owned IP setting? The Eldritch setting was never my thing so I didn't get any Arkham stuff but I'll probably get this.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

agscala posted:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/6/6/heroes-of-terrinoth/

FFG announced a new co-op LCG.

I think I read somewhere that it's in the same vein as a Warhammer LCG they used to have. Did anyone play that one?

You're confusing a couple of their games, Invasion was the Warhammer LCG. This game is more or less a re-implementation of Warhammer Quest, which was them making an Adventure Card Game to compete with the Pathfinder card game.

Warhammer Quest wasn't bad. My friend and I played through the basic campaign over a couple weeks. It wasn't terrible but I'm not a huge fan of Co-Op games. LotR appealed to me because of the deck building aspect. This was more one of those 'every campaign you get a one or two new cards in your deck'.

It's more of a casual experience though as card knowledge and deck design aren't really important. You can pretty much hand a newbie anyone's deck and the can figure it out. I wouldn't say that someone who enjoys Arkham or LotR would particularly find this interesting unless they have friends to play with that found those too heavy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Boco_T posted:

Seems pretty cool, I guess Terrinoth is a FFG-owned IP setting?

Terrinoth is the setting for Descent.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The digital LotR will have to prove very good before I spend any money on it. They've changed far too much for it to be an automatic wallet-opener.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

sassassin posted:

The digital LotR will have to prove very good before I spend any money on it. They've changed far too much for it to be an automatic wallet-opener.

Yeah I wonder if they thought it was too heavy for the typical market for ftp card games? I'm not sure I like the changes they announced, it seems too simplified. It sucks because I'd love a digital version, since my paper version's been collecting dust ever since Arkham came out for the most part.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I'm super supporting the digital version, if not for any reason other than that people are getting extremely angry on the steam forums about a game that isn't out yet.

Plus, the game does seem like it'll be pretty fun, so I'm gonna try it before I decide for sure. From what I heard, the design of the digital version is an attempt to make a "2.0" version of the LCG, using it as an opportunity to remake some of the core mechanics, so thinking of it in that vein makes me hopeful for the game in the future.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gloomy Rube posted:

I'm super supporting the digital version, if not for any reason other than that people are getting extremely angry on the steam forums about a game that isn't out yet.

Late-stage capitalism is crazy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I just got my Doomtown Reloaded: There Comes A Reckoning order, and found that I'd bought spare copies of Bad Medicine and The Curtain Rises but forgotten to buy Dirty Deeds. Any UK Harrowed Dudes looking to trade?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
https://twitter.com/ffi_games/status/1034456066120212481

Gonna try it out this evening. Free-to-play.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Boco_T posted:

Gonna try it out this evening. Free-to-play.

I don't see the free core option, just the various packs?

Edit: F2P is only for the full release.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Do we know what they changed from the physical to the digital version?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Azran posted:

It's basically an attempt to make a 2.0 of the original game so the main question you should be asking is "Do we know what stayed the same"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Azran posted:

Shitloads. It's very, very different.

I paid £5 for the Shire pack since there was no f2p option yet and I'm weak. Tutorial's boring but I've spent some valour points on Legolas' pack and diving into the one (1) campaign available now.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Very American Aragorn is even more annoying than Bilbo.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Game's sure fun though. Voice acting is yes very hit and miss but that's basically the least of my worries. The official steam forums are losing their minds over everything ever though, including the fact there's no PvP mode.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Once you do the Tutorial it unlocks enough cards to build a deck I think, you don’t have to buy anything. It just limits you to one hero of each sphere and a very small card pool.

I only had time to do the Tutorial so I didn’t see how much Valor you win from doing a scenario. I did see I had a Daily Quest for 90 Valor and the items that cost $2 to unlock cost 3500 Valor or something, lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Think I got 3-400 valour for doing the quest on easy plus 40 for each hero as a "first time" bonus so clearing each mission with every hero will be... a thing.

It's a bit confusing that cards are so familiar in name and art but have different effects in a different game. Trying not to dismiss old coasters out of hand.

Looked into the palantir and got a Trollshaw Scout and an Eowyn avatar this is exciting stuff.