Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

E: wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan
When should I begin freaking the gently caress out about my cat's pee? Yesterday he peed in the litterbox like 4 times while I was in hearing range (he is a loud pee-er), two of them within minutes of each other in the morning, which seemed weird to me. This afternoon he got in the litterbox, turned around 3 times trying to get comfy and produced almost nothing, although maybe he was disturbed by two people staring him down as he tried to do his business. I put in an appointment request with his vet but I am insanely paranoid that something is wrong based on these two data points. I have never dealt with cat urinary issues before as my previous male cat's urethra was loving pristine all the way up until apartment maintenance let him out into the wilderness to never return. And Griffin is about 1.5 years old and I don't want anything bad to happen to him ever. Is there a better way I can monitor the situation?

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Excessive drinking and urination could be an early sign of diabetes. If that's the case don't feel the situation is hopeless, because we caught it in our boy around early March this year and through diet and insulin we were able to get him into remission by late June.

Edit: Glossed over the fact that you have a young kitty, so maybe diabetes is less likely.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Automatonic Water posted:

When should I begin freaking the gently caress out about my cat's pee? Yesterday he peed in the litterbox like 4 times while I was in hearing range (he is a loud pee-er), two of them within minutes of each other in the morning, which seemed weird to me. This afternoon he got in the litterbox, turned around 3 times trying to get comfy and produced almost nothing, although maybe he was disturbed by two people staring him down as he tried to do his business. I put in an appointment request with his vet but I am insanely paranoid that something is wrong based on these two data points. I have never dealt with cat urinary issues before as my previous male cat's urethra was loving pristine all the way up until apartment maintenance let him out into the wilderness to never return. And Griffin is about 1.5 years old and I don't want anything bad to happen to him ever. Is there a better way I can monitor the situation?

If it starts to look like peeing hurts, vet ASAP.

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan

Pixelante posted:

If it starts to look like peeing hurts, vet ASAP.

OK, I couldn't tell when he was in the litterbox earlier because he didn't seem to be straining and only ever looks mildly uncomfortable at the worst of times. I haven't caught him in there since then but i bet I can tempt him in by scooping around in there because he hates to not be the last guy to touch the litterbox.

At least I'll probably be able to tell when he's straining because I got to see him do so many heinous giardia shits last year right after he left the plague-ridden county shelter

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
well i went looking at cats today just for curiousity....and came home with two 4 year old cats, a boy and a girl. The girl is a grey cat with one eye--the shelter guy said she probably lost it within the last couple years since its not furred over yet--and the other is a black cat.

They're currently being very unphotogenic by hiding under my bed :mad:

e: Here's Juuni in the midst of attacking my hands with his face

Meanwhile Moira is content with her perch under my bed

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 25, 2018

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

gently caress yeah excellent new cattes!

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Hello everybody,

I have a question regarding my cat Artichoke. He is 5 years old and a rescue, so during his years on the streets he contracted FIV. He is an indoor only cat but we do let him out into the courtyard with us sometimes.

My question is: if I put a harness on him can I take him for walks out the back or to the park across the road? I know that he will have a weakened immune system but he would also extremely enjoy being outside sometimes, I know that he misses it. I’m worried that he will like 100% contract a disease that will kill him.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I do have a question, actually. I'm confining them to my room to let the two of them get acclimated, but is it better for me to spend time with them in the room or leave them alone initially? Even Juuni has gone back to hiding under things (fun fact, Juuni is the type of cat that will squish under anything the size of his head :3: )

E: or not! He seems to have settled right in

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 25, 2018

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Hello everybody,

I have a question regarding my cat Artichoke. He is 5 years old and a rescue, so during his years on the streets he contracted FIV. He is an indoor only cat but we do let him out into the courtyard with us sometimes.

My question is: if I put a harness on him can I take him for walks out the back or to the park across the road? I know that he will have a weakened immune system but he would also extremely enjoy being outside sometimes, I know that he misses it. I’m worried that he will like 100% contract a disease that will kill him.

I wouldn't let him interact with other cats but he should be fine on a harness and supervised. The bigger question is whether he'll participate in walks rather than just rolling in the grass and trying to run under parked cars.

A big flaming stink posted:

I do have a question, actually. I'm confining them to my room to let the two of them get acclimated, but is it better for me to spend time with them in the room or leave them alone initially? Even Juuni has gone back to hiding under things (fun fact, Juuni is the type of cat that will squish under anything the size of his head :3: )

Give them some time alone, but also spend time in there not related to the cats - sit and read, fold laundry, watch TV, whatever, just ignore the cats unless they come up to you. They definitely need time to adjust, but you also want them to adjust to you being around.

When I got my kitten and kept her in the bathroom for a few days, I'd spend an hour or so in there a couple times a day reading or watching videos on my lappy. Eventually she started creeping out from under the sink and would play with toys but dart away if I tried to touch her. By the 3rd day we'd moved on to little toys that put her inches away from my hands, and the next day she was climbing all over me and hasnt stopped yet.

Any advice on getting her to lay off the old cat sometimes? Last night she wouldn't stop playing with his tail, and he got pretty aggressive towards her, she wouldn't stop until I got out of bed at 3 am to run her around the apartment a bit. I know generally you just have to let them work it out, but aside from separating them in different rooms it seems really hard to give him a break.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Any advice on getting her to lay off the old cat sometimes? Last night she wouldn't stop playing with his tail, and he got pretty aggressive towards her, she wouldn't stop until I got out of bed at 3 am to run her around the apartment a bit. I know generally you just have to let them work it out, but aside from separating them in different rooms it seems really hard to give him a break.

It's been over a year and my younger cat still chases my older cat around the house when he feels like terrorizing her. They get into some rumbles but as long as they're not drawing blood it should be fine to let them work it out.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

explosivo posted:

It's been over a year and my younger cat still chases my older cat around the house when he feels like terrorizing her. They get into some rumbles but as long as they're not drawing blood it should be fine to let them work it out.

Yeah, I just feel bad. Fatty is curled up next to me in the cat bed taking a nap when kitten comes charging in and 'attacks'. Over and over again. I know my part is to wear the little poo poo out, but I do have a job and stuff. I'm actually working from home twice a week now (Tues and Thurs) so I can actually let Luke crash out on my bed for a few hours with the door closed to enjoy some peace and quiet (this is not why I'm working from home but it is a nice side effect).

I haven't sat down to eat a meal at home in weeks because she is determined to share it. Doesn't seem to matter what I'm eating, she jumps up on the table or desk, climbs up my leg, jumps onto my back, over and over and over. So I stand at the kitchen counter that she can't get to, and she sits at my feet trying to meow and tries to look like a pitiful starving little waif.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Kittens are young and dumb enough to be distracted by crinkle tubes and battery operated cat toys and those ball-in-track cat toys. Toys toys toys!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
So Juuni (the black male cat) is definitely the more active of the two, but I've noticed while he's looking around he inhales through his nose really audibly and rapidly. It generally coincides with him looking around frantically, so I'm inclined to write it off as overstimulation from a new place, but is it something I need to be concerned with? Both him and Moira were vaccinated or antibioticed for feline respiratory infection since Moira had it coming into the shelter a month ago.

More Moira (moreira?) pics

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 26, 2018

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Kittens are young and dumb enough to be distracted by crinkle tubes and battery operated cat toys and those ball-in-track cat toys. Toys toys toys!

Yeah she has all that. She loves the ball in track toy, but apparently not as much as Luke's tail when he's curled up next to me in bed. I'd just put the blanket over it but he HATES being under sheets or blankets.

I wish they would save this for nighttime

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Yeah she has all that. She loves the ball in track toy, but apparently not as much as Luke's tail when he's curled up next to me in bed. I'd just put the blanket over it but he HATES being under sheets or blankets.

I wish they would save this for nighttime

:kimchi:

I don't think you really have anything to be worried about there

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

:kimchi:

I don't think you really have anything to be worried about there

It's weird. She just climbs in. Luke really didn't like it at first and I still get the impression that he's more just tolerating it than anything else, but yeah that was pretty cool today. Lasted a few hours, too.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Question regarding the time it takes for a cat to adjust to a new environment, and backsliding on existing adjustment progress. This is our handsome stripy boy Billy, a marguerite:

- Sex: M
- How long have you had your cat? Eight days
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? Yes
- What food do you use? Thrive 90% chicken dry food (UK)
- When was your last vet visit? When he was neutered, before we got him.
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoors.
- How many pets in your household? Just him.
- How many litter boxes do you have? One, covered, wood fibre-based litter. Scooping twice a day, have already changed litter completely once.

His previous environment was a large outdoor/indoor enclosure shared with 7 other cats. He was the only one of this group to pay us any attention, and is a total slut for belly rubs (spreads his hindlegs so you can get right in there). At his best he's really sweet.

Of course we expected that adjusting to our house would take some time. Sunday-Thursday he showed gradual signs of improvement every day, such as getting gradually less afraid of us, spending more time outside of the spare room that we've designated "his" for now, hiding for less time under the spare bed, and gradually taking to sleeping in new spots (see the radiator bed, also a cat bed, and windowsills). I even got close enough to him to give him chin scratches twice, and my wife once early on.

Since Friday, he has become extremely frightened of us again, and worse, has started pissing on clothes, cushions, and beds as he finds them. Current piss count outside of the litter box is five: the spare bed, a clothes pile, cushions on spare bed twice, and our bed once. We discovered two pees on Saturday in different rooms at the same time, with both of us moving around the house carrying mattresses and bedding around in a huff. It probably seemed like a huge upheaval to him, because he's hiding more than ever and displaying very fearful behaviour. Since last Sunday we've been sneaking 'calming' cat treats into his regular food (only two or three a day) and yesterday we got Feliway but so far no noticeable effects.

What can we do to help his anxiety and timidness? Is it just a question of time and are we simply being impatient? Is it better to confine him to the one room that's "his" (although it doubles as my office during the week), or to let him explore the house more? It's really disheartening to see him change gradually towards the cat we met at the breeder's, only to regress almost completely to his stressed out condition in the space of an hour.

Edit: explained the timeline poorly - he started pissing everywhere before he began acting timid again.

Vlex fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 26, 2018

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Get him to a vet, that's not not normal behavior for any cat.

After getting him checked out I suggest confining him to his room again for a bit, at least until he's comfortable coming up to you guys and letting you touch him. Spend time in there and play with toys if he's willing to engage.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I guess it could be he encountered something super scary like spotting a neighbourhood cat out a window? But absolutely get him to a vet asap because peeing troubles are always a Bad Sign.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

We adopted a cat a few months ago, a very unhealthy little guy who is doing a lot better now, with one exception: he has the most persistent respiratory illness I've ever seen. He's been wheezing, sneezing, and occasionally even struggling to breathe as long as we've had him. He's otherwise energetic and healthy--he loves to play, eats voraciously, has no issues using the litter box, and is extremely cuddly.

We've taken him to the vet a few times, and most recently even took him to the university's animal hospital for some (very expensive) tests and imaging. They've looked for nasal polyps, sinus damage, cancer, and tested for a wide spectrum of viral or bacterial infections. We've tried multiple antibiotic courses. So far--jack poo poo. Nothing. At the hospital, while he was under anesthesia for his imaging, they managed to (their words) "clear out an impressive amount of mucus," but he appears to have built up his snot reserves again. They found no sinus damage, no cancer, nothing. We're still waiting for the results of the biopsy they did but they told us they don't really expect to find anything if every other test was negative.

So, obviously I'm not expecting anyone here to know things that actual vets who've examined this cat don't know, but I'm hoping to get some tips for managing these kinds of symptoms. Our walls have so many spots of dried cat snot that we're having trouble cleaning up, and on top of that, I feel terrible for the little guy when he sometimes hunkers down and struggles to get a good breath. Also sometimes he wakes us up by sneezing on our faces.

Have any of you had a cat who's just permanently a little sneeze goblin? Is there anything we can do to help control his symptoms?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I picked up a Furby at the Goodwill for $1. If it is awake it is the top of the animal food chain in the house as both cats are spooked by it.

Domino accidentally woke it up when he slapped it and he scampered when it's little eyes lit up and started yelling for someone to put it right side up.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Harrow posted:

We adopted a cat a few months ago, a very unhealthy little guy who is doing a lot better now, with one exception: he has the most persistent respiratory illness I've ever seen. He's been wheezing, sneezing, and occasionally even struggling to breathe as long as we've had him. He's otherwise energetic and healthy--he loves to play, eats voraciously, has no issues using the litter box, and is extremely cuddly.

We've taken him to the vet a few times, and most recently even took him to the university's animal hospital for some (very expensive) tests and imaging. They've looked for nasal polyps, sinus damage, cancer, and tested for a wide spectrum of viral or bacterial infections. We've tried multiple antibiotic courses. So far--jack poo poo. Nothing. At the hospital, while he was under anesthesia for his imaging, they managed to (their words) "clear out an impressive amount of mucus," but he appears to have built up his snot reserves again. They found no sinus damage, no cancer, nothing. We're still waiting for the results of the biopsy they did but they told us they don't really expect to find anything if every other test was negative.

So, obviously I'm not expecting anyone here to know things that actual vets who've examined this cat don't know, but I'm hoping to get some tips for managing these kinds of symptoms. Our walls have so many spots of dried cat snot that we're having trouble cleaning up, and on top of that, I feel terrible for the little guy when he sometimes hunkers down and struggles to get a good breath. Also sometimes he wakes us up by sneezing on our faces.

Have any of you had a cat who's just permanently a little sneeze goblin? Is there anything we can do to help control his symptoms?

I wonder if there's any allergy remedy or decongestant cats could take to help out his symptoms? Weirdly enough, I recently watched a vet video where they gave a dog a treatment via nebulizer to help thin mucus, then performed coupage to help sorta drum the mucus from his lungs.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/techniques-for-nebulization-and-coupage-in-dogs

Maybe there's something like this for cats? Something to talk to the vets about, at least...

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Glitch is getting desexed today, and I've been browsing some sites looking into what aftercare I need to do.

Obviously I'll listen to whatever the vet informs me to do, when I pick her up, but does anyone have any tips?
Is it OK to let her roam the house? Or should I confine her to the laundry (Where he bed + litter tray are) for a day or so?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Confining her for a bit is probably wise. Minimize places where she can jump, make sure it's clean, give cozy places to rest quietly.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Is she a kitten? The vet will probably tell you she needs to rest and not jump around a lot. This will be impossible to enforce. Don't stress too much about it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah 6 months.

She's not a huge climber. I'm not that worried about it, just want to make sure she's looked after properly during the recovery

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

These days they're pretty great at that little operation with a minimum of problems afterwards, just follow the vet's advice, make sure it's clean, and be gentle picking her up or whatever, she'll be fine. You're a good cat servant for being concerned with her recovery :3:

E; Harrow, my mom's elderly cat Sugi gets the sneezes a lot but there's not much to be done other than cleaning up after him and offering a gentle hand of reassurance during a sneezing fit. I hope they can figure your kitty's condition out, poor thing!

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 28, 2018

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009
So I'll likely be adopting a cat from my friend who needs to downsize their cat collection in the next couple of weeks. However, this cat is definitely obese. I suspect he got that way from stealing the other cats food, but who knows. Since he'll be the only cat I have, will he likely start losing weight once I put him on a measured regimen of food? I've never had an obese cat before, so I'm slightly lost as to how to get him down to a normal weight.

WindowLiquor
Feb 8, 2011

Oh no no, this simply will not do!
Play with him lots and lots. Exercise will help a lot. And of course no treats etc.

For the cat getting desexed: we had our lady cat wear a medical pet shirt that's like a baby's romper only made for pets so they can still poop and pee. It makes moving around much easier than the cone of shame.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I wonder if there's any allergy remedy or decongestant cats could take to help out his symptoms? Weirdly enough, I recently watched a vet video where they gave a dog a treatment via nebulizer to help thin mucus, then performed coupage to help sorta drum the mucus from his lungs.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/techniques-for-nebulization-and-coupage-in-dogs

Maybe there's something like this for cats? Something to talk to the vets about, at least...

Huh, that could be something to try. The vet did mention a nebulizer, so I'll pick one up and see if that helps him. He's a pretty chill cat so he'll probably sit still and let me try coupage, too.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Organza Quiz posted:

Is she a kitten? The vet will probably tell you she needs to rest and not jump around a lot. This will be impossible to enforce. Don't stress too much about it.

Seconding this. My vet told me I had to cage the poor thing for 24 hours and isolated for a week! By the fourth hour there was far too much whining going on. He was also panting heavily in the carrier along with just constantly rolling side to side clawing at the door. I just kept him isolated from his brother for 2 days and it turned out just fine.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I've just put her in the laundry, which is where she sleeps anyway, for the evening.

I may keep her in there tomorrow during the day, but I'll see how she is in the morning.
She was all drugged up and dopey purry :3:

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Koaxke, I don't have the link handy but someone else should be able to link you to Chili's thread where he got Butterscotch to lose half his weight with slow changes.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Hi thread, I have two cats, and I need two recommendations:

1) A cat litter that is both clumping and honest-to-God, truly, legitimately dust-free. I have tried around a dozen ~allegedly~ 100% dust-free, clumping litters, and all of those claims have been bullshit. And fine, I will settle for 90% dust free. :colbert:

2) A really cool laser toy that goes beyond "human clicks and points". One of my cats is obese and laser toys are the only toys he likes, and I have this one already but he seems to be afraid of the noisy gears when it spins.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Koaxke, I don't have the link handy but someone else should be able to link you to Chili's thread where he got Butterscotch to lose half his weight with slow changes.

I would like to see this as well. Bean and Domino are both chunky around 15 pounds except he's a long cat and is still fairly active doing regular laps around the place and trying to hunt birds through the glass door.

Bean is a stocky little chunker who will chase a laser pointer for about 30 seconds before having to take a break. We started buying a more expensive food and putting a little under 1/2 in their bowls twice a day as well as bought a laser that's rechargable but they don't seem to really be losing anything.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
I've been trying to help my fatto lose weight for a while, we've finally cut him down to 3/4 a (5.5oz) can of Wellness a day. Hopefully that does the trick.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Here's Chili's thread for fosters and the tale of how Butterscotch lost a whole other cat's worth of weight and got his groove back: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768887

Definitely consult a vet about the diet beforehand if at all possible and make sure the kitty has had a check-up very recently (in case kitty has conditions like thyroid disorders or diabetes!). Don't abruptly drop a fat cat down to a much smaller portion per day; it'll be a miserable experience for both of you and quite possibly unhealthy for the kitty cat. Tapering calories per day and setting static mealtimes are important!

I'll also second that playtime is important -- cats will totally eat to stave off boredom, so it's not just that exercise helps burn calories, but it also gives your cat something to do! Cat toys & furniture help make an environment that lets your cat do cat things instead of just entertaining himself by chowing down.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Rabbit Hill posted:

Hi thread, I have two cats, and I need two recommendations:

1) A cat litter that is both clumping and honest-to-God, truly, legitimately dust-free. I have tried around a dozen ~allegedly~ 100% dust-free, clumping litters, and all of those claims have been bullshit. And fine, I will settle for 90% dust free. :colbert:

2) A really cool laser toy that goes beyond "human clicks and points". One of my cats is obese and laser toys are the only toys he likes, and I have this one already but he seems to be afraid of the noisy gears when it spins.

I've found Arm & Hammer Clump & Seal Multi-Cat (black box) to be nearly dust free. It's not perfect: It's heavy, clumps okay (not great), and tracking is a minor annoyance but it seems to be best overall for my needs. It keeps odors under control pretty well with two cats. I tried the Arm & Hammer "now half the weight!" type and it was total garbage: Doesn't clump well and tracking litter out of the box was a huge problem. I also took a shot with clumping litter sold by Costco, I forget if it was a specific brand but it came in a big green container. I ended up tossing that too because it caused a haboob in the house when pouring. Some pet supply places also sell clumping litter using wood, imagine large grain saw dust. I haven't tried those types but it might be worth a look if you want to get away from clay dust all together. There's also wood pellet setups but I don't believe those are designed to clump.

Don't have any suggestions on the automated laser pointer thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Our cat is on a steroid taper after a pancreatitis flare up. These are making her kind of bitchy, I guess because she's hungry all the time now. I never liked prednisolone myself so I get how she feels but UGH. We've got another month left.