Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Dick Holden posted:

If anyone feels like cheesing Skap Slag you can do so by finding and opening all but one of the hidden chambers, and upon discovering and opening the last chamber (18 Slag) you simply restart from last checkpoint, which let's you retain the Slag and reset the hidden chamber discovery. Repeat for as long as you like.

Can you elaborate what hidden chambers you mean? It has been a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think he means the Hidden Chambers of Odin, the polished glass doors you break open with the chisel. Kind of a moot point since I don't think you can reveal them all until you get to Helheim Pt. 2 and by then you should be swimming in slag.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Oh right. I found this too for glitchingcheesing skap slag as well: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/191627-god-of-war/76931016

Dick Holden
Jul 18, 2003

Purple!

exquisite tea posted:

I think he means the Hidden Chambers of Odin, the polished glass doors you break open with the chisel. Kind of a moot point since I don't think you can reveal them all until you get to Helheim Pt. 2 and by then you should be swimming in slag.

Depends on what you mean by 'swimming'. If you just want to max out your favorite pieces of gear then yeah, you should have enough. I was planning on upgrading all the perfect gear and it turns out you need soooo much slag. I had two or three sets maxed and by my math still needed another 2000 slag to upgrade what was left. As it turns out hacksilver is a bigger roadblock, since fully buying and upgrading a full set of armor costs something close to 1 mil.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Are any of the new armors worth it? I just have a fully upgraded runic cursed mist set but I was curious to see if any of the other ones were worth the slag.

Reddit says the Cod of War set is really good with Ratutaskr.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Confession: I enjoy kratos’ fathering

Sorry not sorry 😐

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

the_american_dream posted:

Confession: I enjoy kratos’ fathering

Sorry not sorry 😐

If this, Witcher 3, and (sort of) the Last of Us have taught us anything, it's that the surefire road to success is to make a game about dads trying not to be bad

maybe soon we'll be ready for a game about moms (i heard they're tough)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Are any of the new armors worth it? I just have a fully upgraded runic cursed mist set but I was curious to see if any of the other ones were worth the slag.

Reddit says the Cod of War set is really good with Ratutaskr.

There are some armor pieces you'll want to craft because you can then convert them into OP enchantments, like Tyr's or Ancients. They're all hella expensive though.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Speaking of armor I'm still rocking my Ivaldi stuff. Is there a significantly better armor in NG+ until I can get the NG+ version of that?

What do you mean about converting Tyr's or Ancients into enchantments? I think there are some mechanics in this game that I missed out on.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In NG+ you can convert some of the craftable talismans and armor sets into socketable enchantments that provide the effects of those sets, including the mega-OP realm shift necklace on dodge. It's very cool but also hella expensive so plan accordingly!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I see...is there a guide on what that can be done with and how it works and all that? What ones are worth doing it with?

Dick Holden
Jul 18, 2003

Purple!

shortspecialbus posted:

I see...is there a guide on what that can be done with and how it works and all that? What ones are worth doing it with?

IMO the Ancients Armor set, Golden Protection Amulet, and Kvasirs Amulet are all worth saving to change into enchantments. That will give you 85% resist to all elements, realm shift on dodge, and a wide window for parries. You simply need to upgrade the NG+ amulet or armor set to max and then trade that (along with some hacksilver) for the enchantment at the store.

As far as armor goes I got the Tyr's set as it made itself available, then stuck with the new Ares set for the rest of the game. It's STR/LCK/CDN, so I went with a Surtrs Grip/Blessings of the Frost build while using the Glowing Gem of the Nine enchant. Just time slowing and fire/ice waves all day, would recommend.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Nice, thank you!

I need to figure out a good way to get cash monies in this game. I'm making enough for "normal" stuff by just playing and selling my XP but just in general it looks like it's very easy to spend millions of godbux on this stuff.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Once you unlock and get good at Nifflheim, hacksilver is no longer a problem. Even then, up to that point you generally get what you need thru standard exploration and combat.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

isk posted:

Once you unlock and get good at Nifflheim, hacksilver is no longer a problem. Even then, up to that point you generally get what you need thru standard exploration and combat.

Oh right, I forgot that Niflheim gives hacksilver too. I beat the game back in April and haven't thought about it since then.

Dick Holden
Jul 18, 2003

Purple!
One way to squeeze more hacksilver out of Niflheim is to spend any spare mists on Perfect Blight enchantments and sell them back for hacksilver.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Dick Holden posted:

One way to squeeze more hacksilver out of Niflheim is to spend any spare mists on Perfect Blight enchantments and sell them back for hacksilver.

Or just sell the Echoes directly. Sindri buys them near the start of the workshop.

Dick Holden
Jul 18, 2003

Purple!

Fuzz posted:

Or just sell the Echoes directly. Sindri buys them near the start of the workshop.

Can you explain how? I see the option to sell XP and break down Nifl resources but nothing says I can sell them directly.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/corybarlog/status/1034266066640228353

Excuse me, Cory.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Dick Holden posted:

IMO the Ancients Armor set, Golden Protection Amulet, and Kvasirs Amulet are all worth saving to change into enchantments. That will give you 85% resist to all elements, realm shift on dodge, and a wide window for parries. You simply need to upgrade the NG+ amulet or armor set to max and then trade that (along with some hacksilver) for the enchantment at the store.

As far as armor goes I got the Tyr's set as it made itself available, then stuck with the new Ares set for the rest of the game. It's STR/LCK/CDN, so I went with a Surtrs Grip/Blessings of the Frost build while using the Glowing Gem of the Nine enchant. Just time slowing and fire/ice waves all day, would recommend.

Well that's pretty much the best. I was always disappointed that Witch Time took up your entire Talisman slot and wasn't just a skill you could buy. I'm about to ride the elevator up from the Heart of the Mountain and fight the dragon, guess I know what items I'm collecting as soon as I get back down with Mimir.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

God of War: The Horse and His Boi

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Listening to the audiobook while I drive around for work today. Pretty good, though while it’s awesome to hear Mimir telling the story it is a bit weird when he does his imitation of Kratos’ voice.

Edit: also a lot of the dialogue is slightly changed pretty much universally for the worse. Wonder if they were working off an earlier script.

Mandrel fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 29, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Got 4/8 omega NG+ valkyries down, I think pretty much all of them have new attacks or at least stuff I don't remember. Gave up a few tries into Rota this morning with her endless unblockable bullshit. The realm shift enchantment is actually a liability here because it makes her Valhalla spam harder to dodge. I'm going to try taking it off the next time I load up the game. Rota more like Rotate My rear end in a top hat Sideways!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

How the hell am I supposed to get enough hacksilver for anything. Do they really load you up in Musphelheim and Niflheim?

Dick Holden
Jul 18, 2003

Purple!

exquisite tea posted:

Got 4/8 omega NG+ valkyries down, I think pretty much all of them have new attacks or at least stuff I don't remember. Gave up a few tries into Rota this morning with her endless unblockable bullshit. The realm shift enchantment is actually a liability here because it makes her Valhalla spam harder to dodge. I'm going to try taking it off the next time I load up the game. Rota more like Rotate My rear end in a top hat Sideways!

If you manage to realm shift dodge the valhalla attack, you can cleave her mid animation to break the chain of further valhallas.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dick Holden posted:

If you manage to realm shift dodge the valhalla attack, you can cleave her mid animation to break the chain of further valhallas.

That's helpful to know, thanks! Throwing my axe at her didn't break it, so I assumed that nothing else would.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

How the hell am I supposed to get enough hacksilver for anything. Do they really load you up in Musphelheim and Niflheim?

I managed to get a ridiculous amount by selling everything I owned and had no need for from my first playthrough and trading in like 300k+ xp for cash monies too. I'm not very far though, just got Mimir. But if you were like me you had 100+ enchantments that you were never going to use and a bunch of various armors that were now obsolete. You can't buy a lot of the enchantments back but you can buy everything else back if you need for the exact price you sold it for and with upgrades retained. You should be able to get 100-150k each for certain chest pieces alone.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

exquisite tea posted:

That's helpful to know, thanks! Throwing my axe at her didn't break it, so I assumed that nothing else would.

Cleave makes almost everything flinch. It, the Frost Heavy Runic buff, and Spartan Rage are the most flinch heavy attacks, I've found. Dunno if that applies in NG+, I just beat the game last night for the first time and am gonna take a break, but maybe? If you get your Cooldown high enough to get the bonus effect on Cleave it becomes really easy to trigger the bullet time and then charge up and flinch whatever it is out of their attack... I cheesed the hell out that to beat Sigrun pretty easily with no resurrection stone, but again, this was in regular NG on the hard difficulty (not GMGOW).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

One of the biggest differences between Give Me a Challenge (which I beat the game on the first time around) and GMGOW is that enemies have much higher innate stun resistance and are significantly harder to interrupt. This isn't as big a deal on NG+ where you have most of your tools already available, but it is noticeable. Fortunately the Cod of War set combined with the Squirrel runic summon are really great at making enemies flinch, even valkyries.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

You know you can exchange exp for it right?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

You know you can exchange exp for it right?

I did not know this what is the exchange rate and where

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I did not know this what is the exchange rate and where

I think it’s 1:1; the dwarf shop offers it, it’s either under the buy or sell resources tab, I forget which.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
On the note of stories about bad dads undergoing character development to become good dads, are there any equivalents for moms? It feels like society just assumes women are natural caregivers, and if she starts off bad at being a mom, the character isn’t given room for growth to become less bad. Meanwhile men are assumed to start off not knowing whatever the gently caress, giving them room for character growth.

Like this current trend of storytelling in young male targeted fiction isn’t a bad thing, but it seems to only cover a small fraction of the human experience.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean society kind of only exists because by and large most women are natural caregivers. Like their brain bombs itself with chemicals to make sure they love the baby and take care of it and not leave it by the road when it cries.

I’m sure we’re barely 2 years away from an indie walking sim where you discover a bombed out train station but it’s actually a metaphor for post partem depression.

If you actually want to experience a perfect gender-swap of the Ellie/Joel, watch the movie “Ultraviolet” to see how those kind of stories would turn out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Finally got Rota down after about an hour of attempts, I dunno how I'm going to manage against the HBIC once all the normal valkyries are dead. I found that the cleave animation was too long to risk breaking her Valhalla even with realm shift, so I just played it safe and timed the animation better. You instinctively wanna play her like it's a DPS race because she has such low health, but that ends up being a bad move because you inevitably runic attack directly into one of her unblockables. It's an endurance match to be sure, one that you can gently caress up at any time. Fun! Onto the next one.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Phobophilia posted:

On the note of stories about bad dads undergoing character development to become good dads, are there any equivalents for moms?

Bayonetta

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I mean society kind of only exists because by and large most women are natural caregivers. Like their brain bombs itself with chemicals to make sure they love the baby and take care of it and not leave it by the road when it cries.

I’m sure we’re barely 2 years away from an indie walking sim where you discover a bombed out train station but it’s actually a metaphor for post partem depression.

If you actually want to experience a perfect gender-swap of the Ellie/Joel, watch the movie “Ultraviolet” to see how those kind of stories would turn out.

:chloe:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

haveblue posted:

Bayonetta

But that’s just like a time ghost of her past self, she never forms a relationship with the little girl though, she just stops her from getting murdered. she never becomes kinder or more maternal as the game progresses, so there isn’t any development.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJPOvLvdugw

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

aren't you the same freak who thought ellie from tlou's sexuality was a "matter of debate"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Bust Rodd posted:

Lol what the gently caress