Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cause when you think "exotically spiced" you think of Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I'm sure a lot of the people in this thread would find their use of mayonnaise deeply intimidating.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Jesus this reminds me of this one person I know of through a board game group which would meet up at a japanese restaurant. The only thing he would order would be white rice and he'd eat it with his hands. Get your filthy hands off the game pieces weirdo!
OK, only eating rice is weird but kind of understandable. If you don't like flavour, that's probably your best option. But why did he insist on eating with his hands?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

My Lovely Horse posted:

Cause when you think "exotically spiced" you think of Japanese.

there's a long portion of the best academic survey on feasting, "The Never-Ending Feast: The Anthropology and Archaeology of Feasting", where they talk about japan and how the feasting structure there was really really rigid and how it was really ideally suited to the weird and obsessive eating habits japanese peeps had in the medieval period, with a prescribed menu for everybody and strictly enforced sumptuary laws. mostly same deal in joseon korea

and then they got shitfaced in the afterparties and actually did the social things in those (feasting is almost always mostly about drinking, not mostly about eating)

but then peeps asked, why was it so obsessive and weird about presentation and cleanliness? what is in the psychology there?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uke_Mochi

bob dobbs is dead has a new favorite as of 08:46 on Aug 28, 2018

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

MariusLecter posted:

:wtc: Tempura anything is like the "safe" option for food cowards in Japanese restaurants, see also california rolls.

Hey now avocado is pretty spicy!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the other thing is that you hear about kitchen knives being ostensibly part of the ancient honorable yadda yadda yada samurai bushido yadda and you sort of imagine it's some sort of shonky sales pitch to dupe gullible westerners into buying knives

its that, but it's actually also been an actual ancient samurai sales pitch to dupe gullible actual samurai into buying knives since like the 1600s

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Oh you better believe this pain in the rear end wouldn't go near "spicy" food. She did eat chicken and would tolerate the karaage from 7eleven and poo poo, but wouldn't touch anything at an izakaya

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Then why the gently caress did she go to Japan?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

its just like in my animes.

Tiggum posted:

OK, only eating rice is weird but kind of understandable. If you don't like flavour, that's probably your best option. But why did he insist on eating with his hands?

no idea and I didnt want to bring it up because it'd mean talking to him more. I'm assuming not wanting to embarass himself trying to eat it with chopsticks?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

rndmnmbr posted:

Then why the gently caress did she go to Japan?
Eh, I was in Peru a few years ago with a dude who was a vegetarian. We were both there for work and he had a hell of a time in the hotel "restaurants" in small towns, where you'd get in, sit down and then dinner was a huge slab of steak and a carafe of red wine each. Maybe she was there for work or a convention or something.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Memento posted:

Eh, I was in Peru a few years ago with a dude who was a vegetarian. We were both there for work and he had a hell of a time in the hotel "restaurants" in small towns, where you'd get in, sit down and then dinner was a huge slab of steak and a carafe of red wine each. Maybe she was there for work or a convention or something.

Nah she came just as a tourist but genuinely seemed to have a bad time. And as a vegetarian living in a country that doesn't consider seafood to be "meat" and that also puts small amounts of meat/seafood in literally everything, I can totally relate to your colleague

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the other thing is that you hear about kitchen knives being ostensibly part of the ancient honorable yadda yadda yada samurai bushido yadda and you sort of imagine it's some sort of shonky sales pitch to dupe gullible westerners into buying knives

its that, but it's actually also been an actual ancient samurai sales pitch to dupe gullible actual samurai into buying knives since like the 1600s

Authentic Japanese kitchen knives are carefully packaged, and the box is always sealed by tape.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

bike tory posted:

Nah she came just as a tourist but genuinely seemed to have a bad time. And as a vegetarian living in a country that doesn't consider seafood to be "meat" and that also puts small amounts of meat/seafood in literally everything, I can totally relate to your colleague

Oh man, I'd never considered the vegetarian's struggle in Japan - How / Do you avoid dashi? It's both a delicious stock usually made with a small amount of dried fish AND... used in preparing literally every Japanese food I can think of, somewhere. I'm sure there's some stuff they don't use it in... but drat.

gently caress bad tourist lady the other poster described, though. Picky babby eaters are my least favorite thing, and bringing that poo poo hang-up with you on a trip around others is completely inexcusable. It's also extremely rude and possibly racist to play it up like that when exposed to an unfamiliar culture: millions of locals love this food, because they find something about it delicious, loving chew it you big baby.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Memento posted:

Hot drat, I gotta visit Peru!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

there's a long portion of the best academic survey on feasting, "The Never-Ending Feast: The Anthropology and Archaeology of Feasting", where they talk about japan and how the feasting structure there was really really rigid and how it was really ideally suited to the weird and obsessive eating habits japanese peeps had in the medieval period, with a prescribed menu for everybody and strictly enforced sumptuary laws. mostly same deal in joseon korea

and then they got shitfaced in the afterparties and actually did the social things in those (feasting is almost always mostly about drinking, not mostly about eating)

but then peeps asked, why was it so obsessive and weird about presentation and cleanliness? what is in the psychology there?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uke_Mochi

You always have the most interesting posts about peeps

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

axolotl farmer posted:

Authentic Japanese kitchen knives are carefully packaged, and the box is always sealed by tape.

I understood that reference

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

A Tasteful Nude posted:

Oh man, I'd never considered the vegetarian's struggle in Japan - How / Do you avoid dashi? It's both a delicious stock usually made with a small amount of dried fish AND... used in preparing literally every Japanese food I can think of, somewhere. I'm sure there's some stuff they don't use it in... but drat.

gently caress bad tourist lady the other poster described, though. Picky babby eaters are my least favorite thing, and bringing that poo poo hang-up with you on a trip around others is completely inexcusable. It's also extremely rude and possibly racist to play it up like that when exposed to an unfamiliar culture: millions of locals love this food, because they find something about it delicious, loving chew it you big baby.

Im pretty flexible in my vegetarianism anyway so it's not a huge deal to me. I cook at home most of the time, and if I'm eating out its easy enough to avoid dashi at izakaya or anywhere that does tempura, but if I'm out with others and they want ramen or something I just accept it. And of course there's a ton of really good non-japanese food here too, and plenty of vegetarian and vegan places, so yeah. Almost as much of a problem is how so many restaurants are just totally inflexible in their menu and won't even do something like leave the bacon out/not sprinkle bonito flakes on top of an okonomiyaki or some poo poo. I get just a flat "no we can't do that" fairly often.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Relevant I think

I understand this because I'm a gigantic pain in the rear end about food but I'm also super paranoid about wasting food if I try it and it turns out that I'm not a big fan of tiramisu or whatever.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I've had to learn to cook from scratch because I'm allergic to fish and seafood. Really allergic, as in carry an EpiPen everywhere allergic. This is also the main reason I went vegetarian. It is somehow easier to say "vegetarian option", than "I'm fine with meat, but please, no fish for me". Yes, that splash of fish sauce in a Thai dish means it is off limits. Japanese food is generally NOT an option for me :( Which is a shame, because it looks amazing.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

PurpleXVI posted:

Depending on who you ask, this is either a food crime or grounds for food sainthood:

It seems to only exist in Denmark. Basically you fold up the edges of a pizza so it's a little dough bowl, add tomato sauce and cheese like usual, some mushrooms, red peppers and onions depending on which of those you like and then you just drop an entire steak in the middle of it, then pour bearnaise sauce on top of the steak, and pop it in the oven.

Doesn't look disgusting, but it seemed unusual enough to have a place in the thread.

Seems like the "pizza pot pie" or the "pizza bowl" we have here in :patriot:. The steak is a nice touch, I guess, if you just want to shut down your intestines entirely.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

A Tasteful Nude posted:

This, I hate picky eaters. My partner used to be very picky, but once you get them to try things, they're ok. They still straight-up won't eat certain things like mushrooms and onions, though, and it makes cooking at home hell.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A Tasteful Nude posted:

The vegetarians I've known who have handled Japan did it by just accepting dashi. If you do that you can manage okay.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

AlbieQuirky posted:

The steak is a nice touch, I guess, if you just want to shut down your intestines entirely.

It's a 50-50 gamble whether it puts you into a food coma or just ruins your stomach miserably for the rest of the day, but it's worth it.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

DicktheCat posted:

This, I hate picky eaters. My partner used to be very picky, but once you get them to try things, they're ok. They still straight-up won't eat certain things like mushrooms and onions, though, and it makes cooking at home hell.

People that won’t eat onions are a pain. My aunt refuses to eat anything that onions even touch.

My family threw me a graduation party this past weekend, my aunt helped my dad organize things, and she went full HAM at the staff because this gigantic garden salad and big bowl of pasta salad on the buffet table had onions on them. I guess she had tried demanding no onions. Her daughter tried calming her down and eventually said ‘Jesus Christ, just scoop the lettuce from the bottom or don’t take any!’. A sixty five year old woman just about shouting over onions.

Embarrassing as Hell. (She also got to near tears when I didn’t eat any of the cake she’d ordered ‘specifically’ for me. It was her favorite kind of cake, and not a kind I like)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
People can't choose to like things and you all should feel blessed that you tolerate or enjoy a wide range of foods. Seriously, it's awesome.

These stories of fit-throwers and whiny idiots are terrible, though, Christ. You can't expect every meal at every venue to cater to your preferences.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mental illness comes in all forms

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Data Graham posted:

You always have the most interesting posts about peeps

as a young dude who spent 9 years of his childhood in san diego, i used to use dude as metasyntactic variable for people
then i reconsidered it and figured that dude was pretty gendered, despite attempts to degender it. dudette is kinda weird, as words go, you know

but it needs to be monosyllabic and able to be said in maximally casual settings
i deliberated over 'folks' for a while, but it also has strong laden social values and poo poo
so 'peeps' it was

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

as a young dude who spent 9 years of his childhood in san diego, i used to use dude as metasyntactic variable for people
then i reconsidered it and figured that dude was pretty gendered, despite attempts to degender it. dudette is kinda weird, as words go, you know

but it needs to be monosyllabic and able to be said in maximally casual settings
i deliberated over 'folks' for a while, but it also has strong laden social values and poo poo
so 'peeps' it was
In my work (translation), I use "gang" for mixed groups (e.g., "Let's go, gang!"). Although having spent nine years of your childhood in San Diego, I can see how you'd be averse.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Bloop posted:

People can't choose to like things and you all should feel blessed that you tolerate or enjoy a wide range of foods. Seriously, it's awesome.

These stories of fit-throwers and whiny idiots are terrible, though, Christ. You can't expect every meal at every venue to cater to your preferences.

I put together a full gluten free menu at my restaurant, with selections for salads, sandwiches, entrees, snacks, and sides. It's printed on the same stock as the normal menu and features like 15 or 16 full composed dishes.

One of them is a pimento cheese dip which comes with an assortment of fresh vegetables for dipping, says so on the menu. A woman last night ordered it and when she got it, sneered and said "what, I don't get loving gluten free toast with this?"

Bend over backwards and it still isn't enough. :negative:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Have a nice hot bowl of gluten free, free range, artisan, nonGMO, cruelty-free, dolphin safe, vegan go gently caress yourself, lady

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Bloop posted:

Have a nice hot bowl of gluten free, free range, artisan, nonGMO, cruelty-free, dolphin safe, vegan go gently caress yourself, lady

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The Bloop posted:

But is it kosher?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Hirayuki posted:

In my work (translation), I use "gang" for mixed groups (e.g., "Let's go, gang!"). Although having spent nine years of your childhood in San Diego, I can see how you'd be averse.

i got a plutocrat education

the problem w/ "gang" is that it's not metasyntactic enough

splice it into my previous post:

me posted:

but then gangs asked, why was it so obsessive and weird about presentation and cleanliness? what is in the psychology there?

and now you have like, the social science dept. of the crips. they have one, right?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i got a plutocrat education

the problem w/ "gang" is that it's not metasyntactic enough

splice it into my previous post:

and now you have like, the social science dept. of the crips. they have one, right?

i use 'y'all'

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Zil posted:

But is it kosher?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS1lP0U1d1M&t=33s

as I was saying earlier

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

boar guy posted:

i use 'y'all'

y'all is cool and good and only works in the 2nd person

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

so 'peeps' it was
I have spent basically my whole life in the midwest and I have never once heard of anyone who considered "dude" to be gendered.

I'm a dude
you're a dude
he's a dude
she's a dude
we're all dudes, hey

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

boar guy posted:

i use 'y'all'

Same. It works for everyone and everything.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Yawgmoth posted:

I have spent basically my whole life in the midwest and I have never once heard of anyone who considered "dude" to be gendered.

I'm a dude
you're a dude
he's a dude
she's a dude
we're all dudes, hey

if you elide lines 2, 3, 4 and 6 of your post the implicature becomes very different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

if someone doesn't want you to call them dude, don't call them dude, thanks