Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Some guy on Facebook's Indomitus Crusade group made an underground assault board:

Looks like an idea that's maybe more of a pain in the rear end than practical, but love the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Love the idea of an Adeptus Titanticus game on top and a kill team game below.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

That’s cool looking but gently caress playing on that bottom board

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

GreenMarine posted:

Some guy on Facebook's Indomitus Crusade group made an underground assault board:

Looks like an idea that's maybe more of a pain in the rear end than practical, but love the effort.

I played a Starship Troopers game like that at Historicon when I was a kid. It loving ruled but the tunnel system was a drawn map, so easier to play with than ZM tiles.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That looks great. What's your method?

It’s part of a super secret patreon tutorial. But basically, let a baby wipe dry out, tear and stretch it a bit, pull it taut over the surface and use it as a stencil.

haakman
May 5, 2011
Kill Team is almost there - trying out speed and batch painting because I may make an army of these buggers. Does anyone know of a good, cheap source of plasma guns?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That looks great. What's your method?
Seconding this. I'd love to use this technique on my Gryphonicus Reavers.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Love the idea of an Adeptus Titanticus game on top and a kill team game below.

My 'ham wet dream will be playing simultaneous games of Adeptus Titanicus / Epic with a new Imperator model on one board, with a Killteam game of Skitarii tech guard defending the Imperator's upper level from assault troops armed with demolition charges. Start with turn 1 of the Kill team game, then turn 1 of AT and keep alternating. As the KT attackers achieve their objectives, the Imperator gradually loses carapace weapons or voids in the other game.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Harkano posted:

It’s part of a super secret patreon tutorial. But basically, let a baby wipe dry out, tear and stretch it a bit, pull it taut over the surface and use it as a stencil.

Thanks for sharing, paywalls for hobby tips rub me the wrong way.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah thanks for sharing that. While I understand the argument that artists don't owe you anything, it always seems antithetical to the spirit of the hobby to me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm going to use this to try and venetian up my sister's when the time comes. I'm psyched for my scheme but was pondering how to do some marble for tanks or cracked/aged red paint on the armour.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah thanks for sharing that. While I understand the argument that artists don't owe you anything, it always seems antithetical to the spirit of the hobby to me.

I don't mind folks hiding tutorials behind paywalls. They deserve compensation for producing a product. I also appreciate sharing the basic approach. I imagine the tutorial has a lot of useful information and explanation that would still make it worth paying for.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

GreenMarine posted:

this is cool as gently caress and I don't care that the bottom board would be a pain in the rear end

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Getting the first load in for NOVA

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OhDearGodNo posted:

Getting the first load in for NOVA

That's cool that you're helping them get ready. I remember really enjoying volunteering with them, although I'll never do anything during the event again. I was scorekeeper back in 2012 and the experience was pretty miserable.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
My flight to Nova is 2 days away and I'm still loving painting hahahahahahahaha

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

haakman posted:

Kill Team is almost there - trying out speed and batch painting because I may make an army of these buggers. Does anyone know of a good, cheap source of plasma guns?

I chopped up Lasguns and plasma pistols (keep the plasma front end of the pistol, chop the rifle to fit, green stuff and glue). But now I'd just go to shapeways or something

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's cool that you're helping them get ready. I remember really enjoying volunteering with them, although I'll never do anything during the event again. I was scorekeeper back in 2012 and the experience was pretty miserable.

Yeah I just help with terrain days and the move in/out. During the con I want to just chill and have fun playing. I think I signed up to help with the Invitational also that’s that’s really it.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Sanctuary doesn't improve their saves beyond 3++, but they can use their Heed the Prognosticars stratagem to get +1 to their invuln rolls. So, if the model has a 3++ (via sanctuary or otherwise), it effectively becomes a 2++.

I'm not a fan of that line of thinking. You're only getting a 2++ with Sanctuary, so I'd say the Sanctuary bonus is discarded and you cap out at 2++.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

OhDearGodNo posted:

Why would you post this and not actually describe what you are referring to?

Any chance in being helpful as opposed to just witty?

God forbid you research anything yourself and don't get spoonfed.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'm not a fan of that line of thinking. You're only getting a 2++ with Sanctuary, so I'd say the Sanctuary bonus is discarded and you cap out at 2++.

Order of operations. That wording is to make you not cast sacturary on Draigo.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Any of y'all who follow me on social media will likely have already seen at least some of this stuff, but I'm dropping my fire mixtape a big fat Army August post with my House Lakar Fusiliers! I've teased them on the Badcast a bunch but I didn't want to post any pictures until I got everything all painted and together. So anyway, here's my counts-as Cadian battalion, the House Lakar Fusiliers:

Vassal Jean Pierre Renault (company commander)

Bannerman Klaas von Skara (Kell)

Penitent witch in Auto-Repenitant (Primaris psyker)

Squad 1

Squad 2

Squad 3

And everything I'm bringing to NOVA:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
dude

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Makin’ friends

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

SRM posted:

Any of y'all who follow me on social media will likely have already seen at least some of this stuff, but I'm dropping my fire mixtape a big fat Army August post with my House Lakar Fusiliers! I've teased them on the Badcast a bunch but I didn't want to post any pictures until I got everything all painted and together. So anyway, here's my counts-as Cadian battalion, the House Lakar Fusiliers:

Squad 1

Squad 2

Squad 3

Yeah, I saw and liked those pictures on Instagram, but only here do I have the emoticons with which I can express what seeing these pictures makes me feel:

:aaaaa::flashfap::gizz:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

House IKEA rolling out in force.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Good Lord.

I know what I'm doing with the useless bag of WHFB Empire dudes I traded for in 2009, now.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Holy poo poo. Can we be friends in real life?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure you'll enjoy that army for the 20 min you have it out in public before an oil barron offers you 200k for it.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Someone's a man after Duncan's heart.

Naramyth posted:

Order of operations. That wording is to make you not cast sacturary on Draigo.

4 + 1(sanc) + 1(strat) is the same order of operations as 4 + 1(strat) + 1(sanc). You're still using Sanctuary to improve the same to a 2++.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

OhDearGodNo posted:

Ok so I’m going to assume Frobbe was referring to sealing and applying spirits to allow a wash to flow better through a recess.

I already do this, except with acrylic washes. After I airbrush the last coat of white I varnish the model with a semi gloss coat to seal it.

The wash I use is a 4:1 or so mix of Nuln and Nightshade, then a little water and flow improved in it.

Yep same concept mostly works in that you touch the brush into the recesses and the ink just kinda flows off the brush... however this doesn’t always work.

First, you don’t have full control always on the flow, and what happens is the ink will sometimes try to go into places you don’t want it to.

Second, my shade level depends on the angle of the crevice. For example for a plate joint or the shoulder pad trim it’s heavy, however for the helmets and fingers it is lighter which brings out more of the blue just like a shadow on white would naturally do.

Late to this party but there’s a world of difference between oil on a gloss coat and acrylic on a gloss coat- the whole point of using oil is that you’re using a non water soluble color on something that has been painted only with water soluble stuff up until that point, so capillary action is way more effective and you can simply buff out mistakes, either with pure friction or something like white spirit or isopropyl. Using acrylic wash defeats the purpose of the technique since it’s water soluble and will “bite” into the surface, since all the other layers of paint on the model at that point will also soften up when they get wet.

TLDR: You’re literally mixing your wash with a weak solvent (water in this case) that’s making it adhere better to the model and is the direct cause of things like “the ink just kinda flows off the brush... however this doesn’t always work.

First, you don’t have full control always on the flow, and what happens is the ink will sometimes try to go into places you don’t want it to.”

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Someone's a man after Duncan's heart.

4 + 1(sanc) + 1(strat) is the same order of operations as 4 + 1(strat) + 1(sanc). You're still using Sanctuary to improve the same to a 2++.

My real opinion is that who cares its GK and they need all the help they can get. However stacking is stacking so...

Sanctuary applies in the magic phase. The strat happens in something after that phase (probably).

Literally order of operations. Which does exist in this game because poo poo like the banner "shooting on a 4+" and yanarri are things.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

ijyt posted:

God forbid you research anything yourself and don't get spoonfed.

How do you take that as being spoon fed? “Try enamel washing” with nothing else isn’t even close to informative. Spending time trying to find the right tutorial or video lacks the ability for feedback and can lead to mistakes or frustration.

Thanks for this- if I had just watched a few vids as I had before I wouldn’t have known that acrylic was soluble over a gloss coat.

I’m already done with the White Scars for the near future however will look into this the next time I need to do this effect.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SRM posted:

Squad 1

Squad 2

Squad 3

Those are insanely gorgeous. The Space Swedes will gently caress you up.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

SRM posted:

Dude. 10/10. Savage as heck.

Do you have Work-In-Progress pics? Or a break down of what the conversions where and how you did them?

Holy guacamole that's good

e: also what's your instagram?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 28, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

darnon posted:

Speaking of eBay coupons there should be another coming up tomorrow (8/28) for 15% off. Details

Thanks for the heads up, was able to find a auction for the AoS Soul Wars and Malign Sorcery box that ended up being $130 total after shipping and discount.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Just bought a castellan and some helverins for the same price as the castellan itself on the GeeDub site :hellyeah:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mikey Purp posted:

Just bought a castellan and some helverins for the same price as the castellan itself on the GeeDub site :hellyeah:

I'm tempted to buy two Knight Gallants.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm tempted to buy two Knight Gallants.

Buy a Renegade box, and 3d print something cool for the power fist on the second one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Groetgaffel posted:

Buy a Renegade box, and 3d print something cool for the power fist on the second one.

I might just buy two regular guys and 3D print duel wielding... somethings. Chain axes maybe? Giant fuckoff hammers?