Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think it's very good praxis to give donoteat money for his fine content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just started trying to pave my entire city with decals and now I never want to play skylines ever again :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hi, I hate decals so much I made a decal. This is my first asset ever and holy poo poo is the workflow for asset creation in skylines stupid and bad and requires mods and mod-tools and turning off all your assets and then turning them back on and restarting the game a million times. Why isn't there just a simple "decal editor" that lets me set the size and import a texture and done??

A fellow named Urbanist made a very nice street with a texture I love, I made a decal to match so you can fill-in areas around it.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?

Baronjutter posted:

Hi, I hate decals so much I made a decal. This is my first asset ever and holy poo poo is the workflow for asset creation in skylines stupid and bad and requires mods and mod-tools and turning off all your assets and then turning them back on and restarting the game a million times. Why isn't there just a simple "decal editor" that lets me set the size and import a texture and done??

A fellow named Urbanist made a very nice street with a texture I love, I made a decal to match so you can fill-in areas around it.

most of the time i spend making assets for videos i spend cursing colossal order and making plans to fly to finland and burn down their office, as I reload the game 5 times and waste 2 hours trying to do a 30 second fix

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

donoteat posted:

most of the time i spend making assets for videos i spend cursing colossal order and making plans to fly to finland and burn down their office, as I reload the game 5 times and waste 2 hours trying to do a 30 second fix

My workflow for making a decal, total time about 40min.
I have so much more appreciation for anyone who makes any loving content for this nightmare. Why do I need "mod tools" to make mods, why do I need a mod to make mods CO?? Why is the asset editor not a separate program that can run without all the bloat of my assets and mods and the rest of the game? Why the gently caress does the game hang for a good 3-4 min every time I enable all or disable all? Why.... why are you the way you are, CO??

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

donoteat posted:

HOLY poo poo IT'S A VIDEO ABOUT MOTHERFUCKING TRAINS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tLxb5rtmyM

Man, it's pretty weird to see all these kid videos on the recommended list. Apparently this video's is also in the Youtube Kids section because of the Almighty Algorithm.

Also wow I did not know that trains running over people and animals were that commonplace back then.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"It's trains" is right up there with "It's free real-estate" in memorable whispered quotes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ok guys I know this probably isn't the best place to ask but I'm not sure where else to ask because reddit is just for posting pretty pictures and omg look at this car parked on a hill, but how do I use the road editor? I load it up, selected the "zonable pedestrian path" as a base because I just want to change it from a concrete colour to stone, but when it loads it's all blank, there's no road. Do I need to unload or load some mods? I know there's so many tricks and traps with asset editing and you need to have your game configured just right and re-loaded in some exact order for anything to work half the time.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

donoteat posted:

HOLY poo poo IT'S A VIDEO ABOUT MOTHERFUCKING TRAINS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tLxb5rtmyM

Have you posted these to Reddit? I've not seen them on the main sub is all, but I didn't want to cross post without asking.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Baronjutter posted:

Ok guys I know this probably isn't the best place to ask but I'm not sure where else to ask because reddit is just for posting pretty pictures and omg look at this car parked on a hill, but how do I use the road editor? I load it up, selected the "zonable pedestrian path" as a base because I just want to change it from a concrete colour to stone, but when it loads it's all blank, there's no road. Do I need to unload or load some mods? I know there's so many tricks and traps with asset editing and you need to have your game configured just right and re-loaded in some exact order for anything to work half the time.

i know that if you have RICO turned on then a load of buttons at the bottom disappear in the editor

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
CLICKITY CLACK DOWN THE TRACK ITS LOTS AND LOTS OF TRAINS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2_I0EGhcB4

trains are the best thing about this game. if your city doesn't have at least 8 train lines then you're doing it wrong.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

AceClown posted:

Have you posted these to Reddit? I've not seen them on the main sub is all, but I didn't want to cross post without asking.

reddit hates videos and they vote them down like hell

it's on like the third page by now

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
What is the go-to mod for plopping growables? Is it Plop the Growables? RICO? Both?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ben Nerevarine posted:

What is the go-to mod for plopping growables? Is it Plop the Growables? RICO? Both?

Yes plus find it and move it

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Does anybody else feel bad building metro. Like I find myself only adding metro when whatever I've built is too hosed up to run a legitimate other system transport network and I need to take the pressure off for the city to run.

Still feels bad.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sex Robot posted:

Does anybody else feel bad building metro. Like I find myself only adding metro when whatever I've built is too hosed up to run a legitimate other system transport network and I need to take the pressure off for the city to run.

Still feels bad.

Underground metro has been broken for a while in MoM so I don't' even have the option.

Also building even a single metro in the scale of the cities we can build never feels right. A city of a couple hundred thousand should not have a full underground metro system.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Baronjutter posted:

Underground metro has been broken for a while in MoM so I don't' even have the option.

Also building even a single metro in the scale of the cities we can build never feels right. A city of a couple hundred thousand should not have a full underground metro system.

I keep telling myself it's just to cover the spaghetti I had to build early game and eventually I will totally refactor that part... One day :(

I am just coming back to Skylines after since before the first DLC and am truly awestruck by what they've been up to in my absence. Find enclosed my first delve into using RICO with this small farming community I built for my new city. Needs some prop work, but feels satisfying all the same.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Are you using move-it? You can get really nice control when building overpasses and the like with move it. The CO' designed interchanges have ridiculously steep ramps and ridiculously tall bridges because they forced vertical movements at whopping 4m increments.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Baronjutter posted:

I use this street a lot so I would appreciate this decal!

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Oh that horrible overpass is gone now. I built it as a stopgap because I was still figuring out RICO and a bunch of the buildings I want to use somehow categorized as parks and a few uniques and I had an influx of tourists all wanting to stare at a field and visit Cracker Barrel. I was in a good flow and didn't want to gently caress it up by closing and reloading etc etc so I just build an ugly junction to free up the highway while I worked.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

serious gaylord posted:

I use this street a lot so I would appreciate this decal!

I've never uploaded anything to the workshop before. Want to make a couple sizes and curved corner piece for intersections and then I'll either learn how to make a nice pack or throw it all at Urbanist to upload himself.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Baronjutter posted:

I've never uploaded anything to the workshop before. Want to make a couple sizes and curved corner piece for intersections and then I'll either learn how to make a nice pack or throw it all at Urbanist to upload himself.

If you could make some angled triangle shapes for weirdness in different sizes that would be good too.

And just going back to what I said earlier, the easiest thing for your stuff would be the odd stain/wear mark. You don't need to cover the streets in decals to break it up a bit. Riding the bus through town today I made sure to just look at the ground and its amazing how even the same ground style looks different because of a line here, a crack there and then some panels etc.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

serious gaylord posted:

If you could make some angled triangle shapes for weirdness in different sizes that would be good too.

And just going back to what I said earlier, the easiest thing for your stuff would be the odd stain/wear mark. You don't need to cover the streets in decals to break it up a bit. Riding the bus through town today I made sure to just look at the ground and its amazing how even the same ground style looks different because of a line here, a crack there and then some panels etc.

Oh yeah, I mean when I'm not building cities in skylines I'm building scale models of them. I so wish I could just take some of my weathering powders and dry-brush my concrete streets. Although preferably I wish it was way more user-friendly to make roads. It should require 0 3d modeling skills. Open road editor, piece together a road from a library of pre-made segment types, re-texture segments from some stock textures or import your own, set up pathing, and you're done. Hell half those options should exist in game. "Let's create a new street type, give me a 2-way shared street, cobblestone texture, slap sidewalks to the side, I'll pick that nice Portuguese tile texture I downloaded. Set the default speed limit and restrictions, done. 90% of the time I don't need to change the geometry of a road, just the textures and maybe users.

This whole idea of making assets really has killed me though. It's opened up a whole new world of potential work. I feel like I need to scrap my current city and take a break and make a nice matching set of more old-town friendly streets.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

AceClown posted:

I actually saw one of donoteat's videos on the /r/urbanplanning subreddit, but not the C:S one.

Because of course.

Edit:

Baronjutter posted:

Open road editor, piece together a road from a library of pre-made segment types, re-texture segments from some stock textures or import your own, set up pathing, and you're done. Hell half those options should exist in game. "Let's create a new street type, give me a 2-way shared street, cobblestone texture, slap sidewalks to the side, I'll pick that nice Portuguese tile texture I downloaded. Set the default speed limit and restrictions, done.

I too want this exactly. I am really really hoping CO reads this thread.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Baronjutter posted:

M.O.M. works for me.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=816260433

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

I've never dabbled in MoM, and while the feature list is right there, what does it bring to a city that trams, monorail and (passenger) trains don't already do? Or does it just render them all redundant?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mom is really good, it just doesn't work for me because all underground stations don't work. But It lets you build a seamless underground, surface, and elevated metro system. Have it elevated through downtown then turn into a suburban train outside, you can do it all. I wish someone would do something like MOM but for trams, because being stuck to having them always either in a street or in a sidewalk is really inflexible, you can't ever have it just as raw normal train track to go through rural areas and so on.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

MoM adds better content than any of the DLCs. It’s kind of shameful.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
What is the best way to plop a default elevated metro station? The fact that it has a street underneath is frustrating.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lain Iwakura posted:

What is the best way to plop a default elevated metro station? The fact that it has a street underneath is frustrating.

Download some better ones. Also move-it and touch-this 2 will help you out immensely when it comes to things like this. Never have to deal with the cruel and oppressive locked default roads attached to things like ports again.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Really looking forward to being able to play this game again someday.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This looking better with fussy decals?

Sometimes I found you don't need to 100% paint an area, just some paving areas to break up the monotony works.

Tram grass + some planters + some custom different sidewalks make everything a bit more diverse.

My city is in tip top shape, but the odd cracks are here and there.

Cobblestone streets. I'm NOT down with manually doing this with props, need to figure out how to re-skin existing roads.

This area got some layered decals. Decals weathering other decals. Some would seem to always go over top, others would fight or not show up at all.

Avanya's cobble texture I think is the best. I downloaded about 30 various decals for pavement and it and one other I kept.

Paving tiles for interest plus some weathering

I hate covering large non-square spaces in decals. Wish we had a surface-changer mod that could paint a variety of custom pavements on top like a fluid decal.

Was this worth doing? Does the city no longer seem to be floating in a sea of uniform concrete?

I have a problem though, when I reload my game I was noticing missing props and trees, often in the exact same place. I keep having to replace some of my median planters. They are there when I save, but not when I load. Worse still a whole half of a city block vansished, buildings but not decorative props. Very odd! I'm guess some anarchy problem? With everything in the city being placed under anarchy of some form and overlapped to death perhaps something goes wrong? I've never had the problem on this scale though. Only the odd tree or planter here or there jammed on top of tricky intersections.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 29, 2018

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Yeah 100% better. You're absolutely right that you don't need to cover it all up, just break up the uniform colour with things.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Sex Robot posted:

Still feels bad.

Time for some really, really aggressive rezoning!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Baronjutter posted:

I have a problem though, when I reload my game I was noticing missing props and trees, often in the exact same place. I keep having to replace some of my median planters. They are there when I save, but not when I load. Worse still a whole half of a city block vansished, buildings but not decorative props. Very odd! I'm guess some anarchy problem? With everything in the city being placed under anarchy of some form and overlapped to death perhaps something goes wrong? I've never had the problem on this scale though. Only the odd tree or planter here or there jammed on top of tricky intersections.

Pop Pox has evolved and infected a new game!!

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Sex Robot posted:

Still feels bad.
Do any of the multi-track metro stations work currently? I like my metro networks, but I hate when I have two lines meet at a station and I have to wiggle them both onto the same loving platform.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

welp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfVzbM3l7RQ

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Jesus dude it's 30 minutes.

Hell yea I thought it was only gonna be a piddly 5

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

KoRMaK posted:

Jesus dude it's 30 minutes.

Hell yea I thought it was only gonna be a piddly 5

tbf, so did i

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I live right across the Kansas border from Tulsa and drive there pretty much monthly, I wasn't expecting to see any stories about anywhere out here. Neat!