Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Propagandist posted:

I think I might be going crazy, and I need someone to weigh in.

Last night when I started a new playthrough with some extra mods, I noticed that sprint was behaving counterintuitively. When running, it seems like sprint acts as a "toggle" rather than a "hold". Meaning, if I run and then press the sprint key, I am sprinting. But if I lift my finger off of the sprint key, I do not stop sprinting. I keep sprinting. I could have sworn that was not the case a couple days ago, before I started screwing around some more with my CustomControlMap.

I did some google searching and found a bunch of people complaining about it, and haven't found someone saying it's been solved. This leads me to believe sprint was always acting as a toggle, hence my suggestion that I might be going crazy.

Can someone clarify if sprint is a toggle in FO4, and if there is a common way to make it a hold?

It's both without any settings to choose only one.

If you press and hold, you Sprint until you release. You can also tap and release to Sprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

thanks, I might try this someday myself. I have the same complaints of AWCKR, it's horrible

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I don't have a problem with the extra benches it adds, I just do wish when I go to mod my combat armor there isn't like three different menus to change skins. AWKCR was supposed to unify this nonsense.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Otacon posted:

It's both without any settings to choose only one.

If you press and hold, you Sprint until you release. You can also tap and release to Sprint.

That's not what I am experiencing. If I press and hold, I sprint until I stop running forward. Letting go of sprint after several seconds does not disable sprint.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
I had a bug where seemingly at random my characters speedmult actor value would go up to 147%. It would make my character skate around the game world. I think power armour leg mods was causing it? I don't even hold shift to sprint, so maybe it is what you had?

Anyway, you should type "player.getav speedmult" into the console.
If it is over 100%, type "player.setav speedmult 100"

Edit: Rereading now and this probably isn't it.

Erd fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 29, 2018

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Vasudus posted:

I don't have a problem with the extra benches it adds, I just do wish when I go to mod my combat armor there isn't like three different menus to change skins. AWKCR was supposed to unify this nonsense.

Have you seen the loving install process for weaponsmith to get it all working right with all models? its a loving poo poo show as is the tutorial showing you how to do it (incorrectly)

then you have the guys whole visual design, what is that 14 year old edgelord chic? I thought this poo poo died out years ago;

Also his new calibres mod that it requires is a god drat mess, and it half the guns don't work with the ammo switching unless you rebuild the asset pack correctly.

Oh and if you question any of his dumb poo poo:

I loving hate this dude and it annoys me that his garbage is required by so many other mods not made by shitheads.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
The only time awkcr was a pain was when i got all of the mods, after that, I just zipped them all up and added stuff as it was added, or updated.
adding it as a dependency to lots of mods should mean that they dont clutter up the chembench menu, but that menu is always full of juhnk.
So, just adding bits and pieces means you have to decide on an added workbench, and edit every recipe.
a pain when you get 20 or so similar mods.
however. nothing stops you from adding "benches" and keywords to point to these benches.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Propagandist posted:

That's not what I am experiencing. If I press and hold, I sprint until I stop running forward. Letting go of sprint after several seconds does not disable sprint.

My mistake - I had missremembered. Your findings are mine as well - press Sprint once, keep sprinting until you stop or hit Sprint again. Sorry!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Pound_Coin posted:

Have you seen the loving install process for weaponsmith to get it all working right with all models? its a loving poo poo show as is the tutorial showing you how to do it (incorrectly)

then you have the guys whole visual design, what is that 14 year old edgelord chic? I thought this poo poo died out years ago;

Also his new calibres mod that it requires is a god drat mess, and it half the guns don't work with the ammo switching unless you rebuild the asset pack correctly.

I loving hate this dude and it annoys me that his garbage is required by so many other mods not made by shitheads.

Wait, this assholes mod is still going?

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah, it is required to get little DEF_inv icons on all your weapons and armour parts, if nothing else.

I can't believe I caught these 2 minutemen posing like this with no manipulation beyond the free camera. The one with service rifle survived the whole institute raid.

It still bugs me that the lights are a separate piece of a turrets death model.

EDIT: have another

Erd fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 29, 2018

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Pound_Coin posted:

Hey cannabis commonwealth is the single best fallout 4 mod

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I just use AWKCR because it's largely required for a bunch of other mods. I stopped using AE this install cycle because it mucked with so many records and I didn't use anything it offered anyway. Never ran weaponsmith extended though.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Otacon posted:

My mistake - I had missremembered. Your findings are mine as well - press Sprint once, keep sprinting until you stop or hit Sprint again. Sorry!

Thank you, friend. It doesn't bother me THAT much. My main concern was that I hosed something up in my CustomControlMap or that there was some unintended mod conflict. If that's the default behavior, then there's no issue. I appreciate you looking into that.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Saw Project Valkyrie mentioned in steam's newsfeed for FO4 got interested in the idea of more quests, until I loaded it up and saw all the Second Life caliber companions and the hideous base interiors for the factions they made. Oh well.

Any good quest mods out there? I just want more quests!

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Wrr posted:

Saw Project Valkyrie mentioned in steam's newsfeed for FO4 got interested in the idea of more quests, until I loaded it up and saw all the Second Life caliber companions and the hideous base interiors for the factions they made. Oh well.

Have you considered talking to Preston Garvey? I hear there's a settlement that needs your help.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I dont mind the creation club idea but its really hosed up that any little addition to it breaks f4se and any mods that need it

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

HORMELCHILI posted:

Hey cannabis commonwealth is the single best fallout 4 mod

I actually use the simpler one that just has a few plants/planters based on open source models that I can harvest from instead of all of that bloated nonsense in cannabis commonwealth.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

HORMELCHILI posted:

I dont mind the creation club idea but its really hosed up that any little addition to it breaks f4se and any mods that need it

I agree with you wholeheartedly but this is a weird time to oh sweet baby Xenu they did it again.

Periodic reminder to Fallout 4 >rt-clk> Properties: Updates > Only update this game when I launch it and only run it through Mod Organizer 2 or whatever I guess.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
How lazy and bad of a software implementation do you need to have to push executable updates every time you update a list lmbo

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Mr. Crow posted:

How lazy and bad of a software implementation do you need to have to push executable updates every time you update a list lmbo

They did it to get around something about the platform management where adding things as DLC costs more money than adding them as IAP and then forcing the content updates on everyone no matter whether they paid or can use them. I think. I can't look it up right now.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Wrr posted:

I've played through both Fusion City Rising and Outcasts and Remnants and the majority of it is juvenile titty fantasy, but there are parts that do stand out as interesting and well done. One of the things I found interesting was a possible theory about the relation between the Sole Survivor and the Lone Wanderer.

I was looking at trying Tales of the Commonwealth with 3 new companions and several quests:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8704

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

HORMELCHILI posted:

I keep a copy of the exe and just restore it every time they do this. Haven't had to update anything for months.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I have Steam set to update only when I launch the game, and I use MO2 so I never actually launch it via Steam.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

dont be mean to me posted:

They did it to get around something about the platform management where adding things as DLC costs more money than adding them as IAP and then forcing the content updates on everyone no matter whether they paid or can use them. I think. I can't look it up right now.

On consoles, they have one disk bucket for mods and one disk bucket for DLC, which includes the creation club. If they offered paid mods, then you might have to choose between them and your 4k HDR deathclaw pawpads, which would be proof that Bethesda is incompetent and wants you to suffer. Instead, all PC mods that require a script extender break when they add new things to buy, which is proof that Bethesda is incompetent and wants you to suffer.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Omar_Comin posted:

I've played through both Fusion City Rising and Outcasts and Remnants and the majority of it is juvenile titty fantasy, but there are parts that do stand out as interesting and well done. One of the things I found interesting was a possible theory about the relation between the Sole Survivor and the Lone Wanderer.

I was looking at trying Tales of the Commonwealth with 3 new companions and several quests:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8704

Tales of the Commonwealth adds enough new people to talk to and mini encounters that I find it worth the price of admission, but honestly I didn't care much for the companions it adds. You've got:
a) goony germaphobe sniper - a schtick that wore out pretty quick, in my opinion
b) a pre-war, old-money heiress turned ghoul, and
c) a non-institute synth because apparently when the bombs fell the military was a hair away from perfecting terminator sexbots
Of course, some of the vanilla followers are even worse, so you might as well mix it up a bit.

The same people also made Settlers of the Commonwealth: http://3dnpc.com/wiki/fallout-mods/fallout-4/settlers-of-the-commonwealth
It adds a ton of custom voiced NPCs you can hire for your settlements. Great way to break up the half dozen comments the generic settlers use whenever you walk by.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
The old money heiress is amazing, dislikes you stealing things because "Common theft is for commoners, dear"

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I think I might install the Fusion City Rising mod to check it out as an example of what not to do. I have Tales installed but I don't think I've encountered anything from it just yet. I actually want to make some smaller scale encounters or quests myself, nothing too massive and ambitious in scope. Does anyone know of any modding threads / guides aimed at the modders themselves? Or teams looking for members?

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

I actually use the simpler one that just has a few plants/planters based on open source models that I can harvest from instead of all of that bloated nonsense in cannabis commonwealth.

??
but then how do you make hash

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

So I tried the new Creation Club Settlement Ambush Kit. The waves of enemies are fun for awhile, but I haven't messed with the camera systems yet. I wouldn't say it's worth 900 credits, but that's true with the price of just about everything in Creation Club.

The real problem I have is that after too many rounds of enemies the game apparently can't handle all the dead bodies and weapons and crap laying in one small area and it crashes.

Anyway, if you try out the Ambush Kit I suggest your settlement has at least 100 defense and then arm every settler with ridiculous armor and weapons and stimpaks. Also if you're on PC you might as well use console commands to give yourself tens of thousands of bullets.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Former Human posted:

the game apparently can't handle all the dead bodies and weapons and crap laying in one small area and it crashes

Creation Club in a nutshell.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Former Human posted:

The real problem I have is that after too many rounds of enemies the game apparently can't handle all the dead bodies and weapons and crap laying in one small area and it crashes.
Bethesda. Bethesda never changes.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Vasudus posted:

I just use AWKCR because it's largely required for a bunch of other mods. I stopped using AE this install cycle because it mucked with so many records and I didn't use anything it offered anyway. Never ran weaponsmith extended though.

I found some instructions somewhere about removing AE dependencies from mods.

Can't remember where it was, but the gist was making an empty esp named Armorsmith Extended, loading the mod you want to edit in FO4edit (or whatever the name is now) removing everything connected to AE, then removing AE as a master.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

So See through scopes got a huge new update just after I finished getting weaponsmith extended working, the new version comes with a bunch of compatibility patches for guns that are bundled into WE's all-in-one* asset pack how do I even start to mash these together?

*(you have to download like 10 guns seperately, unpack the asset pack, add those loose files and repack the while thing for it to work properly)

Pound_Coin fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 3, 2018

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Roadie posted:

Creation Club in a nutshell.

But I was assured that these paid mods would be DIFFERENT because Bethesda would thoroughly test them to ensure the kind of AAA experience that we expect from their gam--- oh wait that literally is what we expect, nevermind.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Fallout 4 Modding: the game can't handle all the dead bodies and it crashes

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Pound_Coin posted:

*(you have to download like 10 guns seperately, unpack the asset pack, add those loose files and repack the while thing for it to work properly)

What the gently caress is this, SimCity 4 modding?

Nika
Aug 9, 2013

like i was tanqueray

Wrr posted:

I'm making one, due out in a few months! It's got a voiced companion, 4-6 hour quest, and extensive radio station.

(this is from an earlier post I made in this thread)

quote:

Hi everyone....I wanted to see if anyone here would be interested in beta-testing an upcoming companion/quest mod I've working on? (FOR THE PAST YEAR AND A HALF OH MY GOD I KINDA WANNA DIE TBH)

It has 4-6 hours of gameplay, main quest and side quest, companion whom the story revolves around, a custom radio station, custom soundtrack (still being recorded, almost done).

Here's a few screenshots and a teaser trailer I threw together to give an idea of what the mod/companion looks like. (and just a small gripe, but GOD it's so hard making anything that moves in a Fallout game look cinematic or halfway decent, because of the janky in-game camera. Apologies for that, I really tried hard!) =(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajWfjoLW8Yg

edit: dang those pictures showed up really small...here's the link to the imgur album where you can see them full size:

https://imgur.com/gallery/KT6QuRB/comment/1445058625

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So what's up with that Project Valkyrie thing? I've just seen vague mentions here and elsewhere. What's the nitty gritty on it being poo poo?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Midnight Voyager posted:

So what's up with that Project Valkyrie thing? I've just seen vague mentions here and elsewhere. What's the nitty gritty on it being poo poo?

People have called it a bit too fanfic-y.

Which is weird, because Fallout 4 is already a fanfic, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I haven't checked it out yet myself, but the screenshots make it look like a mod-rear end mod. The big faction hub looked too much like a cheap MMO for my tastes and really put me off it. The companion NPCs all got that overly dolled up perfect second life wife look that makes my skin crawl. I guess I might as well do some sort of trip report.

I'm pretty sure I played a mod-quest last night. There was a note in the dugout inn that lead me to a sewer grate nearby Diamond City. You go in and have a bunch of combat encounters through a couple nightmare rooms and hosed up versions of the prewar home. I thought it was pretty well done, although it didn't jive with Horizon as there are A LOT of enemies at the same time, and the last section in the nightmare house sequence is too big / empty and full of baddies. Console Command KillAll did wonders for me.

Still, it told had a really simple concept that I thought was executed pretty well on. I like the small scope.