Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

1221 and my Karling game is starting to pick up steam. I have 5 Welsh counties and 4 Irish ones. Inherited another French county as well.

Doesn't look like I'll be able to gain independence in the near future though.

Why don’t you marry the kings daughters and get claims in the French crown and push a faction for your claim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

EmbryoSteve posted:

It would make a lot of sense to get like a X year +10 opinion for "Invested in my demesne" if you spend money upgrading your vassals

this exists

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I turned off Defensive Pacts for my latest Ironman run... I had forgotten how easy the game is without it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kaza42 posted:

Capital has to be a sea port, and has to be a duchy or higher rank

Is there a difference between a sea port and a coastal province?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Tevery Best posted:

Obviously he pressured her into an open relationship and she agrees because she loves him, but is having second thoughts since she realized she still feels cheated regardless. Truly a touching story that will be subjects for writers for centuries to come.

I don't think that's how the Paul Manafort story is going to be remembered.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Why don’t you marry the kings daughters and get claims in the French crown and push a faction for your claim?

I'm on seniority, so if I do that now the fruition of that is going to be decades down the road.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Unless a couple of generations of the royal family all happen to come down with a serious case of death by knife...

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

I'm on seniority, so if I do that now the fruition of that is going to be decades down the road.

Change to a better succession law.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pyromancer posted:

Horse archers kinda suck now, their tactics harm light cavalry strength, so go with light cavalry at the start and then mix in the heavy when you're rich.

Is this still because of the glitch where they proc lovely tactics they're not supposed to? Are there any mods or game files tweaks that make them not complete poo poo?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Nah, just didn't want it to get mixed up with major rivers. Those do not count

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

gently caress the Caliphate

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think all coastal provinces (on certain oceans, not the Kaspian sea) count. But to be safe, check if you can build a port in the city.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Sydin posted:

Is this still because of the glitch where they proc lovely tactics they're not supposed to? Are there any mods or game files tweaks that make them not complete poo poo?

Pretty sure it's by design - all harass tactics buff light cavalry but debuff horse archers, all swarm tactics do the opposite. The only skirmish tactic that buffs both is "Harass Swarm" but it's impossible to build the horde in a way to roll just that without swarm tactics.
Also pretty much all horse archer specific tactics don't work in forests/mountain/marsh so you'll be stuck with tactics that just don't change them at best and heavily debuff them at worst.
In contrast mixing 60-80% light cavalry and 20-40% heavy does either harass which doesn't debuff heavies or charge into melee which buffs heavies a lot and doesn't debuff lights, and also works on every terrain.
Going with 100% lights makes you use "disorganized harass" that weakens their defense but not really too bad.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 28, 2018

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

guns for tits posted:

gently caress the Caliphate

Too bad the seduction focus doesn't work across religious groups because I totally would have done this in my Jerusalem run

Capturing him in battle and then humiliating him, causing all of Arabia to descend into a civil hellwar was a pretty good consolation prize though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pyromancer posted:

Pretty sure it's by design - all harass tactics buff light cavalry but debuff horse archers, all swarm tactics do the opposite. The only skirmish tactic that buffs both is "Harass Swarm" but it's impossible to build the horde in a way to roll just that without swarm tactics.
Also pretty much all horse archer specific tactics don't work in forests/mountain/marsh so you'll be stuck with tactics that just don't change them at best and heavily debuff them at worst.
In contrast mixing 60-80% light cavalry and 20-40% heavy does either harass which doesn't debuff heavies or charge into melee which buffs heavies a lot and doesn't debuff lights, and also works on every terrain.
Going with 100% lights makes you use "disorganized harass" that weakens their defense but not really too bad.

That's lame. I don't feel like a proper nomad war machine going out of my way to have as few HA's as possible.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Is there a fertility penalty for being in a different court than your spouse? Married my ruler to an independent double duchess hoping they'll have a son together who will inherit the lot, but even after five years with Family focus and Groom an heir ambition on, nothing. Or could she be infertile and you just can't see?

Feeling sympathy for Henry VIII all of a sudden here. I'm tempted to switch to Seduction focus just to have them fall in love with each other since that should help.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Sulphagnist posted:

Is there a fertility penalty for being in a different court than your spouse? Married my ruler to an independent double duchess hoping they'll have a son together who will inherit the lot, but even after five years with Family focus and Groom an heir ambition on, nothing. Or could she be infertile and you just can't see?

Feeling sympathy for Henry VIII all of a sudden here. I'm tempted to switch to Seduction focus just to have them fall in love with each other since that should help.

Some characters are just infertile for no obvious reason. My latest doge married a courtier who didn't give birth for over 15 years, so I divorced her and married the queen of Bohemia. She keeps having girls, but she also keeps having affairs, so who knows whose kids they are.

The doge's first wife was still in his court, and they apparently kept seeing each other, since a couple of years and three daughters into the Bohemia marriage she gave him a bastard son.
I legitimized him for old time's sake.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

ninjahedgehog posted:

Too bad the seduction focus doesn't work across religious groups because I totally would have done this in my Jerusalem run

Capturing him in battle and then humiliating him, causing all of Arabia to descend into a civil hellwar was a pretty good consolation prize though.

How'd that trigger a war? Honestly I've never used the humiliation option, it's always either ransom or death.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Honky Dong Country posted:

How'd that trigger a war? Honestly I've never used the humiliation option, it's always either ransom or death.

humiliation gives the victim -25 opinion for everyone. someone barely holding an empire together, or already unpopular, can be thrown underwater by a humiliation and start facing revolts

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

luxury handset posted:

humiliation gives the victim -25 opinion for everyone. someone barely holding an empire together, or already unpopular, can be thrown underwater by a humiliation and start facing revolts

drat that's cool, how long does that stick?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

luxury handset posted:

Yeah, exactly. If you manage to capture the enemy ruler, forcing their surrender is almost always the right choice, but I was at 95% warscore anyway so I tarred and feathered him, sent him home, and finished my siege of Medina to end the war. Then, with his demesne levies lying dead in Syria and his coffers empty from paying reparations, his vassals took their turn :getin:

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 28, 2018

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
My duke and his wife, despite being lustful, apparently refuse to gently caress because he’s now over 30 and no kids. I’m starting to get worried.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

My duke and his wife, despite being lustful, apparently refuse to gently caress because he’s now over 30 and no kids. I’m starting to get worried.

Get a new wife my man

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Taking the Seduction focus might help. If not with your wife, then with someone else.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Honky Dong Country posted:

drat that's cool, how long does that stick?

i dont remember exactly, not for life but long enough for it to destabilize a realm. 3-5 years? there's also a hit to prestige as well. humiliation is handy in some regards - when you're a merchant republic and you want to knock someone down in the patrician ranking but also dont want to kill them

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

luxury handset posted:

i dont remember exactly, not for life but long enough for it to destabilize a realm. 3-5 years? there's also a hit to prestige as well. humiliation is handy in some regards - when you're a merchant republic and you want to knock someone down in the patrician ranking but also dont want to kill them

I'm gonna have to start using this on patricians that have no heir and not enough trade posts to make it worth killing them off.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

mythomanic posted:

I've got the "want to play CK2, but can't because the forthcoming expansion feels too essential" sickness real bad with Holy Fury.

Anyone have any LPs to recommend? I think I've pretty much gone through all the SA ones (byzLP, immortal pope, old men telling stories), but I don't know where else people post good LPs. The few on the paradox forums I've looked at have been pretty bad and hard to get through. SSLPs only- I mostly read them at work.

This was on SA: https://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2-(by-Thanqol)/ and it's amazing.

Groogy had a good 1066 Norse game go into EU, and he has a holy fury preview game going on right now.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Sydin posted:

That's lame. I don't feel like a proper nomad war machine going out of my way to have as few HA's as possible.

They really need to do a pass at combat I think. Maybe after this dlc. It's all about tactics and what % chance any given composition has with it's commander to fire the ones you want, only there is nothing in the game that explains this to you or shows what tactics might be available to an army. Due to this you end up with some retinues being complete garbage, like byzantine retinues. Horse archers' best skirmish tactic starts another skirmish phase, which is bad for heavy cavalry. Heavy cavalry's best skirmish tactic skips the skirmish phase. The problem here should be evident. There are a bunch like that that are just a bad combination of units, there are some that would be pretty good but are ridiculously expensive like knight retinues, and there are some that need an insane composition of it mixed with other retinues to be effective like longbows or elephants. Oh and north germanic has a commander tactic that straight up makes their heavy infantry worse.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I've never bothered to figure out what each of the tactics do, because I can't influence them anyway.

I just try to pile up as many units as possible, if they're going into the mountains I assign them the mountain guy, if there's lots of horses the horse guy, otherwise the inspiring leader because those are always good.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

pidan posted:

I've never bothered to figure out what each of the tactics do, because I can't influence them anyway.

I just try to pile up as many units as possible, if they're going into the mountains I assign them the mountain guy, if there's lots of horses the horse guy, otherwise the inspiring leader because those are always good.

Oh yeah I don't bother to precisely organize my army whenever I call up levies but it's nice to have a crack force of retinues that can beat larger armies sitting around too. The traits a commander gets are nowhere close to as powerful as the right tactic. Light cav leader gives +20%, harass tactic is +300%. Generally the rule of thumb is if they have units that are all good in the same phase it's a good retinue (horse archers being an exception), so stuff like all light cav, all heavy infantry or pikes, or even the new tibetan retinue that is light infantry and light cav since they're both essentially skirmish units and have the raid tactic that enhances both. Otherwise all generic defensive if you're in an area with a lot of cavalry or generic shock if you're in an area with a lot of infantry.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 28, 2018

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Sulphagnist posted:

I think there is with CK2+, but not the unmodded game. Some characters just don't seem to have much luck getting pregnant. Get a mistress, my guy.

I continually have the opposite problems where my rulers are waaaay too fertile. I've had several games where I could NOT stop my ruler from loving, one where two of my queen's sons AI chose Seduction and they both had about 20+ kids, including each of them having a baby with a different sister. Another game, my 40+ year old cancer-ridden Duke suddenly had five more kids with his wife.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Every time I go and start a game in an early start date, I wind up spending the next century grappling with gavelkind. Even when you've only got a single title to keep things united, your power base within your nation gets steadily eroded.

I've also discovered the chief disadvantage of starting in England instead of the other parts of Britain: You already start in the most valuable land and conquering across the channel is so much more appealing than slowly crawling across dirt poor tribal lands. Somehow the Umayyads were making a foothold in Britanny, and I managed to wrest it away from them and form the duchy, but now an army of 5k soldiers has manifested out of thin air to revolt against me, and I'm still hurting from a failed invasion of swedish Flanders (I sure wish that the character screen would tell you about event troops that they ALREADY HAD DEPLOYED). Also my heir is a genius, but since my wife died, he's trapped in Africa, and there's nothing I can do to set up further dynasty building.

At least I still have Bruge, am due to inherit Normandy, and I've formed claims over all of Cornwall for after the danger's done. I'm really looking forward to Holy Fury derailing the Umayyads from forming an unstoppable empire every time.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 29, 2018

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

(I sure wish that the character screen would tell you about event troops that they ALREADY HAD DEPLOYED).

I thought it does? If you hover over the troop count on someone's character sheet it even breaks it down between demesne levies, vassal levies, retinues, hired troops, and event troops.

The AI absolutely takes it into account, too: if I'm the Byzantine Emperor and a faction is getting close to 100%, even if I'm at peace, I'll summon the Varangian Guard and the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre (if I have it yet) so my troop count is inflated and the faction strength drops down a bit. Which is totally in-character too, now that I think about it-- of course a wary monarch or a regent protecting a child king would bring troops to the capitol as a show of force.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't know what to tell you man, the screen said 3k when I declared war, and it still said 3k when Sweden parked a stack of 7k troops on my doorstep. And of course a couple months later when I was trying another tactic, the entirety of Germanic Paganism declared on me and provided ~15k more troops to stomp around England. I didn't know that Gent was so important to Norse culture, especially when I thought they'd be busy with the holy wars the Francias were fighting deeper into Germanic territory.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Sounds like tribal vassals being called to war to me.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

big dyke energy posted:

I think there is with CK2+, but not the unmodded game. Some characters just don't seem to have much luck getting pregnant. Get a mistress, my guy.

I continually have the opposite problems where my rulers are waaaay too fertile. I've had several games where I could NOT stop my ruler from loving, one where two of my queen's sons AI chose Seduction and they both had about 20+ kids, including each of them having a baby with a different sister. Another game, my 40+ year old cancer-ridden Duke suddenly had five more kids with his wife.

There's a half-brother who's a perfectly serviceable ruler and who already has two sons so it's not like the whole empire is in jeopardy, I just really wanted to get some duchies in southern Italy and start building a Polish-Swedish-Italian Commonwealth :v:

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

there are some that need an insane composition of it mixed with other retinues to be effective like longbows or elephants.

What do you mean by that? Are elephants good or no? I recently started as the Bengal Kingdom in 769, and now I'm the Bengal Empire and I've been raising units of elephants. I have a little over 100 of them now but it's hard to tell if they are effective or not. I tried massing all of my elephants on one flank led personally by the emperor with his really high martial skill and they did pretty well. They defeated a numerically superior Chinese army at one point, although I baited them into crossing the Ganges into jungle terrain so I got a bonus from that. I haven't played this enough to tell if the elephants are good or not.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Ivan Shitskin posted:

What do you mean by that? Are elephants good or no? I recently started as the Bengal Kingdom in 769, and now I'm the Bengal Empire and I've been raising units of elephants. I have a little over 100 of them now but it's hard to tell if they are effective or not. I tried massing all of my elephants on one flank led personally by the emperor with his really high martial skill and they did pretty well. They defeated a numerically superior Chinese army at one point, although I baited them into crossing the Ganges into jungle terrain so I got a bonus from that. I haven't played this enough to tell if the elephants are good or not.

Elephants are good via the Cultural Building. You get a better stat total from that building than any of the alternatives. However, they are very bad as Retinues. The elephant retinue is a big mix of archers and elephants, and for the cost they are one of the weakest retinues.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why have a wife when you can seduce the entire court and just legitimize the good heirs? Bonus having all the women seduced is that you now have a personal assassination squad who will always back you on plots. I love the seduction focus, by far my favourite. Merchant republics having about 10 sons each generation is awesome fro trade post limit, not so much for family dues.

Edit: How the hell do you take cities as a merchant republic? I'm now the Doge of Venice and I want the two cities that are in the county however I can't kill them to get it because I don't inherit, I can't imprison them to cause revolt because I need a reason and I can't revoke title because, again, I need a reason. Forge claim doesn't seem to be working either because it isn't firing even with a 26 chancellor.

Thrasophius fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Kaza42 posted:

Elephants are good via the Cultural Building. You get a better stat total from that building than any of the alternatives. However, they are very bad as Retinues. The elephant retinue is a big mix of archers and elephants, and for the cost they are one of the weakest retinues.

So maybe it was a bad idea to go 100% elephant retinues then...

Oh well, my emperor does have the "elephant leader" trait though so he gets another big bonus with all his elephants. I am determined to one day trample the Pope with an elephant. Hopefully before that DLC comes out and messes up my savegame.

• Locked thread