Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

So uh I've been out of the bitcoin mocking scene since it started booming way back late last year. Did Tether ever finally go down as a scam? Is Bitfinex still a thing? Are people still losing their livelihood on this bullshit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Hopefully everything.

Also gently caress you for posting that poo poo.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Spaced God posted:

Did Tether ever finally go down as a scam? Is Bitfinex still a thing?

https://twitter.com/eurtprinter/status/1034057862832705537

Still going on, everyone knows it's a scam but can't do anything about it.

Also CNBC still keeps reporting every tether-backed pump as a "rally".

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Aug 28, 2018

Zajajaja
Jan 10, 2008
Off topic but does anyone have this short story about
a chinese 'farmer' in the far future who lived in an 'attention economy' it involved a drone that pepper sprayed people to get their attention and eventually two giant robots fighting each other piloted by major influencers with the protagonist finding himself ontop of one of the robots, thus gaining a lifetime supply of attention credits? I swear it was posted in this thread or another bitcoin thread?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Zajajaja posted:

Off topic but does anyone have this short story about
a chinese 'farmer' in the far future who lived in an 'attention economy' it involved a drone that pepper sprayed people to get their attention and eventually two giant robots fighting each other piloted by major influencers with the protagonist finding himself ontop of one of the robots, thus gaining a lifetime supply of attention credits? I swear it was posted in this thread or another bitcoin thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3462638&pagenumber=28&perpage=40#post400702769

Zajajaja
Jan 10, 2008

FINALLY THANK U GOD

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
Is something supposed to be going on with Dogecoin on Sept. 6? Is there some kind of planned scam happening? I'm hoping to be able to stop my friend from potentially losing a lot of money, but most of this stuff goes over my head beyond really basic knowledge that you make money off of cryptos by figuring out how to leave someone else holding the bag.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Failtron posted:

Is something supposed to be going on with Dogecoin on Sept. 6? Is there some kind of planned scam happening? I'm hoping to be able to stop my friend from potentially losing a lot of money, but most of this stuff goes over my head beyond really basic knowledge that you make money off of cryptos by figuring out how to leave someone else holding the bag.

September 6th is the five year anniversary of the launch of dogecoin. Nothing is going to happen.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Bitmex is so large because they let you do 100x leverage. The regular exchanges rudely try to keep you from making such amazing profits.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Double Bill posted:

https://twitter.com/eurtprinter/status/1034057862832705537

Still going on, everyone knows it's a scam but can't do anything about it.

Also CNBC still keeps reporting every tether-backed pump as a "rally".
lmao the tether "reserve". gee i hope they dont run out

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Can someone explain tether to me, a dumb gay baby who can't wrap his head around what the gently caress it is and why anyone would think it makes bitcoin less of a scam

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Jenrai posted:

Can someone explain tether to me, a dumb gay baby who can't wrap his head around what the gently caress it is and why anyone would think it makes bitcoin less of a scam

they make more and number go up .: good

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Jenrai posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GSXbgfKFWg

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Jenrai posted:

I have a storage unit full of beanie babies, but they aren't worth poo poo. So what I do is I write IOUs in the amount of fifty million dollars and use them to buy the beanie babies from myself, thereby driving the price of beanie babies to the moon. Then I sell them to morons. Since the IOUs say, in very fine print, that I will not trade actual money for them, I can go ahead and sell those too

No one cares that I'm doing this because, like me, they're all trying to get rich selling beanie babies and IOUs to morons

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

is there a beanie baby backed coin

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

resistentialism posted:

is there a beanie baby backed coin

inch is a worm, not a blockchain

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Uranium 235 posted:

enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJsjaeRkl-k

edit: there's snow so they filmed this a while ago... i wonder how much he's lost since then

Oh, man. Oh. Oh. This is disturbing.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Bitcoin is back at $7,000 $6,000 The thread title needs to be on the blockchain to stay current.

EDIT: Shameful error on my part, Sensei.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 29, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

nnnotime posted:

Bitcoin is back at $7,000. The thread title needs to be on the blockchain to stay current.

this thread lists the correct value of btc. all other exchanges are giving erroneous quotes

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

The White Dragon posted:

this thread lists the correct value of btc. all other exchanges are giving erroneous quotes

We should probably change the title to like $20 then

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
What's the average cost of a tulip?

That feels about right.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jenrai posted:

It's unbacked currency printed in unlimited amounts and used to manipulate market prices of other coins on cryptocurrency exchanges.

Basically everything real and imagined that bitcoiners hate and fear about the Federal Reserve, but now it's okay because they've stripped out all oversight and accountability.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

VitalSigns posted:

It's unbacked currency printed in unlimited amounts and used to manipulate market prices of other coins on cryptocurrency exchanges.

Basically everything real and imagined that bitcoiners hate and fear about the Federal Reserve, but now it's okay because they've stripped out all oversight and accountability.
They address the real underlying complaint the bitcoiners have, which is that the imagined vast profits are going to them, not to :jewish:

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
how long is a piece of blockchain?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Pimblor posted:

one Inch

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Pimblor posted:

Depends: how much money and fuel do you have?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Aftermath:

Eripsa went on to briefly advise some attention token concept called Synereo. Synereo went on to briefly be worth some retarded eight figure amount of money before dying in a fire.

One of the people involved in Synereo started a spinoff called Rchain. Rchain is still around, worth a retarded amount of money and rumor has it some of the people involved in bigger projects worth even more money are sniffing around it.

The thread itself spawned a lot of other threads making fun of eripsa that lasted for years. A sample post from the last page of one such thread in early 2015:

quote:

The biggest flaw in smart contracts is "how does the computer know you're dead"? No one will sell on a site where the customer's money is automatically refunded if they don't come online and press a "Not Dead" button every day, since bitcoiners have continuously proven themselves too scammy for that, but anything else relying on people's input is basically just standard escrow.

"Smart contracts", as bitcoiners conceive them, are distinguished by the computer itself deciding whether the terms of the contract are met, without any direct human input. This is why smart contracts are solely theoretical and wildly impractical, because a bitcoin-style "smart contract" involves the contractchain AI finding your death certificate on the publicrecordschain and automatically updating the seller's profile with a scammer tag, then uploading the seller's details to your favorite private police company's policechain database (but only after checking your wallet records to see if you've been keeping up with your protection payments), then downloading your will from the willchain and automatically distributing all of your possessions (somehow) to the people in it, and then pulling the last football game's results from the sportschain and pulling twenty bucks from your best friend's wallet and giving it to you because they bet wrong on the game's results.

Every single idea mentioned in this post has been ICOd for retarded amounts of money, some multiple times.

None of the products built on these ideas have any users because most of them really are that dumb, so the result is many billions of IRL dollars spent on things goons were deconstructing for fun years ago.

What I’m trying to say here is that we thought cefte was a funny man making jokes but it turned out he was just a Cassandra impotently howling into the void.

Adar fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 29, 2018

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

This is actually scary accurate.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Adar posted:

Aftermath:

Eripsa went on to briefly advise some attention token concept called Synereo. Synereo went on to briefly be worth some retarded eight figure amount of money before dying in a fire.

One of the people involved in Synereo started a spinoff called Rchain. Rchain is still around, worth a retarded amount of money and rumor has it some of the people involved in bigger projects worth even more money are sniffing around it.

The thread itself spawned a lot of other threads making fun of eripsa that lasted for years. A sample post from the last page of one such thread in early 2015:

Every single idea mentioned in this post has been ICOd for retarded amounts of money, some multiple times.

None of the products built on these ideas have any users because most of them really are that dumb, so the result is many billions of IRL dollars spent on things goons were deconstructing for fun years ago.

What I’m trying to say here is that we thought cefte was a funny man making jokes but it turned out he was just a Cassandra impotently howling into the void.

you're telling me the Thanksgiving dinner dish algorithm that would optimize for the least objectionable dishes through a series of surveys and evaluations completed by all your family members and friends never took off

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pimblor posted:

You forge it yourself, inch by inch and yard by yard. You know, like Jacob Marley.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Powered Descent posted:

You know, like Jacob Marley.

Block-a-chain soulja,
We be off to America.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Really good time to buy right now.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
shitcoin

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/paw5jz/a-programmer-ate-rear end-to-save-cryptocurrency-prophecy

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

eatthebutt coin

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i think the price of bitcoin rose because of it being inherently valuable. i must be in horseville because im surrounded by naysayers

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

$50M Tether pump and it only managed to get the number above 7k for two days, good poo poo.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Adar posted:

Cefte will always be a terror in a Rifter to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Crash the coin