Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So back to back One Kill Ahead followed by Nightmare in the Dream Palace might be the least amount of fun I've had in a video game in ages; gently caress everything about the last part of this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Omi no Kami posted:

So back to back One Kill Ahead followed by Nightmare in the Dream Palace might be the least amount of fun I've had in a video game in ages; gently caress everything about the last part of this game.

Huh. I like that sequence, to each their own i guess.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

theflyingorc posted:

Huh. I like that sequence, to each their own i guess.

Yeah, weirdly enough the mission that felt closest to that one was the thing with the little girl in the laboratory, and that was easily my favorite mission in the game. With the nightmare one I was mainly annoyed because a) a lot of the activities you had to do (dodging giant laser eyes, running around while drunk, the dance off) felt like they went on too long, and the boss rush was just really long and boring.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Omi no Kami posted:

Yeah, weirdly enough the mission that felt closest to that one was the thing with the little girl in the laboratory, and that was easily my favorite mission in the game. With the nightmare one I was mainly annoyed because a) a lot of the activities you had to do (dodging giant laser eyes, running around while drunk, the dance off) felt like they went on too long, and the boss rush was just really long and boring.

Part of the difference is likely that i played SWL as it was released, so there was a long while before each part of Tokyo was released and i was pretty strong in comparison to the content, so the fights were all quick.

I agree that the drunken night out was a bit long tho

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I like both of those missions but One Kill Ahead's puzzle house is just pure aggravation to most people I know and Nightmares is way too long to not have any obvious save points in it. Tokyo is great but it does feel like a lot of it was designed to take longer than it needed to (understandably, I guess :v:).

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Plus I think a lot of the frustration for me personally comes down to the unavoidable difficulty spike: I play it for the story, not the gameplay, and the instant I hit Tokyo I had to stop and waste probably 10-15 hours re-playing all the other zones to grind equipment, which didn't even make Tokyo's combat easy or fun, just doable. At this point I've spent so much time repeating activities just to finish the last 5% of the main story that the game has actively pissed me off in a big way, and I tend to be way more critical than I would've been playing with a smooth progression and no grinding.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Omi no Kami posted:

Plus I think a lot of the frustration for me personally comes down to the unavoidable difficulty spike: I play it for the story, not the gameplay, and the instant I hit Tokyo I had to stop and waste probably 10-15 hours re-playing all the other zones to grind equipment, which didn't even make Tokyo's combat easy or fun, just doable. At this point I've spent so much time repeating activities just to finish the last 5% of the main story that the game has actively pissed me off in a big way, and I tend to be way more critical than I would've been playing with a smooth progression and no grinding.
I'd have been happy to help you bump your gear up but I think timezones were against us. I'm pretty sure everything in the story after the Dream Palace is playable in a group too, if you wanted to absolutely dunk your way up the tower. :v:

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Pilchenstein posted:

I'd have been happy to help you bump your gear up but I think timezones were against us. I'm pretty sure everything in the story after the Dream Palace is playable in a group too, if you wanted to absolutely dunk your way up the tower. :v:

Thanks for the offer! I think I'm good though... I've done about half the tower, and it's gotten down to the slow-but-obnoxious level of difficulty, so I'll probably just take an hour or two to grind through it with a podcast in the background, then victory lap :)

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

In the old version of the game, you only had to clear three out of the twenty-four company floors before you could reach the Orochi floors. You picked the company for the alpha floor and the beta and omega floors were random. The new way is great for achievement hunting, but sucks if you just want to play through the story. On the other hand, the AEGIS system only applies in a few places in Tokyo, instead of everywhere.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm not sure which I hated more AEGIS or augments. But I think AEGIS. Augments could be ignored but AEGIS was lovely enough I just stopped playing.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Len posted:

I'm not sure which I hated more AEGIS or augments. But I think AEGIS. Augments could be ignored but AEGIS was lovely enough I just stopped playing.

I remember how easily I coasted through the game using a burst/leach build for most content. Then I got to tokyo and couldn't even survive the trash mobs because it took too long to get through their shields to heal myself.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I finished the orochi stuff and last story mission, and man; as much as I've been complaining about Kaidan, that would've felt much, much more obnoxious if everyone had been using the AEGIS stuff when I played.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/i/status/1024033338682732545

Looks like we are going to be treated to another parking garage mission

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Sekenr posted:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1024033338682732545

Looks like we are going to be treated to another parking garage mission
We're getting the old faction rank up missions back, one of those took place in a car park.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Are the missing dungeons in yet? And the second raid?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Len posted:

Are the missing dungeons in yet? And the second raid?

No to both.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Pilchenstein posted:

We're getting the old faction rank up missions back, one of those took place in a car park.

Oh wonderful. Why?

It was frankly one of the simultaniously the worst and most nonsensical missions in the game. I once posted a thread in the old lore forums, hoping the lore gurus will explain what it was about but the response was basically - :shrug:

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
...and the faction missions are back, along with a new South Africa mission. New agent slot unlock and cosmetics. They really have to do a better job marketing this. I had no idea it was coming this soon.

https://www.secretworldlegends.com/2018/08/01/new-missions

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Ossipago posted:

They really have to do a better job marketing this. I had no idea it was coming this soon.
That's been a common complaint on the official forums too but I can't see how they could have hyped it up given that it's only four missions and three of them are gated behind item power requirements. For a casual player who doesn't have the gear needed this update is like, three minutes of content in South Africa. :v:

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

I played (as much as I could manage) TSW in the beta but never bought it once released because my rig back then was a sad little potato -- plus being allergic to subscription games & also super wary of Funcom by that point...I stayed away even though I loved the premise of the game.

Giving it a spin now though. So far it doesn't seem awful. The one-character-slot thing is terrible but also a kind of a mercy since I have to stop being a tightwad (highly unlikely) if I want to enable my crippling altaholism.

That said, is there a non-cash way to earn the premium currency?

I'm considering joining the goon cabal but I'm unsure how many of you still play.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

You can convert the auction house currency into cash shop currency and vice-versa. If you're inclined to drop money on the game, the best QoL improvement you can buy is the final tier(s) of the sprint upgrades.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Oh snap, Jeffrey Combs voices characters in this game. :swoon:

So far enjoying the game -- the combat isn't fabulous but the quest writing and puzzles (and amazing voice talent) make up for it so far.

I just wish the world was more populated. Why does Funcom destroy everything it touches? :smith:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Plastic Pal posted:

"No running in the halls! They are quite slick with gore."

I like to think that's where his portrayal of Herbert West from the Re-Animator movies ended up.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Plastic Pal posted:

So far enjoying the game -- the combat isn't fabulous but the quest writing and puzzles (and amazing voice talent) make up for it so far.

I just wish the world was more populated. Why does Funcom destroy everything it touches? :smith:

The low map populations are intentional; having a ton of other players around would detract from the survival horror atmosphere they want. On the plus side, it means there's not much competition for rare spawns if you're doing those achievements.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, even with the reduced population caps there's still plenty of times where I end up standing around waiting for quest mobs to respawn, especially in Kaidan. :v:

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Oh, I see; that makes me feel a bit better then.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Just grabbed this and played a couple of hours - I played the original for a while but lost track of it at some point. I forgot how cool this game was.

Pilchenstein posted:

Yeah, even with the reduced population caps there's still plenty of times where I end up standing around waiting for quest mobs to respawn, especially in Kaidan. :v:

I had somebody following me around one-shotting everything for like 15 minutes. No messages, no nothing, just waiting until I attacked something and then blasting it. Speeded things up, but wasn't very fun.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I started playing again, I don't know how long I'll keep playing before I get distracted by a shiny new game but for now I'm having fun.

Level 35 in Egypt, just met up with my favourite NPC Said.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Probably a dumb question.

I remember when I played this ages ago, there was a quest I got as Illuminati around Blue Mountain to go check out a Parking Garage. I got a lantern or something out of it. It wasn't a very exciting mission being honest.

Someone said there was a Templar version with a haunted house. A Dragon mission that was ???. And I'd keep getting missions every few zones.

I thought those were the faction missions. And that they had been removed.

But this is just the return of 3 missions, and they all seem pretty banal/late level.

Did I just mix up what factions missions were? Are those other missions still in the game?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

There were three faction-specific missions in TSW that were offered when you hit certain ranks that have only recently been added into SWL. There are also faction-specific missions that serve as transitions between the storyline regions; those were included in SWL when it was released.

The parking garage is one of the former, the "haunted house" is one of the latter.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Now that I'm nearing the end of Egypt Act 1, it seems as if I'm doing missions I don't remember. I look it up, and hey, they mixed in the Issues mission I never got the chance to do back in ye olde version! This is nice.

So I guess I'm gonna be on the Last Train to Cairo soon. Said remains my fave NPC.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Yeah, a bunch of the "new" stuff was reintegrated into the relaunch, although Last Train is a little clunkier than the others; they do give a certain NPC a new, bloodied model to represent events from that questline at least. :v:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm now level 40, with a Chaos/Pistol tank build. I think I'm part of the Guild? I skipped all the dungeons so far so one day I'd like to go back and do them for completion's sake.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm now level 40, with a Chaos/Pistol tank build. I think I'm part of the Guild? I skipped all the dungeons so far so one day I'd like to go back and do them for completion's sake.

Go back and do the early ones right now, they're easily beatable in single player.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

theflyingorc posted:

Go back and do the early ones right now, they're easily beatable in single player.

Correction: I did the first two, Polaris and the Hell one. And I just kept making mistakes in the second one because I didn’t know the mechanics of the boss fights.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So I played this for a month at Patron status and... I feel like I out-leveled things kinda quick.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

So I played this for a month at Patron status and... I feel like I out-leveled things kinda quick.

Don't worry about it. Eventually the mobs will hit lvl 50 and than your levels won't matter.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Got off my rear end and finished Last Train to Cairo. I kept dying like a moron by falling off the train or getting hit by those signs.

Sekenr posted:

Don't worry about it. Eventually the mobs will hit lvl 50 and than your levels won't matter.

Do you still gain SP and AP after level 50?

Prygelknabe
Mar 31, 2009

He had a baseball bat, and I was tied to a chair. Pissing him off was the smart thing to do.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Do you still gain SP and AP after level 50?
Yes you do, gotta keep on grinding!

I noticed during my semi-annual check in of the game that they've circled the caches back around to the agartha ones they started with.
So now they're not even making new content for their main money generators :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
They said the next cache would be new but a survey a while back showed a lot of people wanted the agarthan cache and I imagine that's too easy a freebie for the small dev team to pass up.

The currency exchange has almost hit the price cap a few times recently. I imagine this means decreased supply due to decreased demand from whales.

Just keep the game alive long enough to release the Congo xpac.