Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So apparently there’s a new round of exploits/bugs out that effectively renders hyperthreading insecure or useless in some contexts.

https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=153504937925732&w=2

quote:

Two recently disclosed hardware bugs affected Intel cpus:

- TLBleed
- T1TF (the name "Foreshadow" refers to 1 of 3 aspects of this
bug, more aspects are surely on the way)

Solving these bugs requires new cpu microcode, a coding workaround,
*AND* the disabling of SMT / Hyperthreading.

SMT is fundamentally broken because it shares resources between the two
cpu instances and those shared resources lack security differentiators.
Some of these side channel attacks aren't trivial, but we can expect
most of them to eventually work and leak kernel or cross-VM memory in
common usage circumstances, even such as javascript directly in a
browser.

There will be more hardware bugs and artifacts disclosed. Due to the
way SMT interacts with speculative execution on Intel cpus, I expect SMT
to exacerbate most of the future problems.

A few months back, I urged people to disable hyperthreading on all
Intel cpus. I need to repeat that:

DISABLE HYPERTHREADING ON ALL YOUR INTEL MACHINES IN THE BIOS.

Can someone smarter than me tell me if this is as bad as it sounds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Boris Galerkin posted:

So apparently there’s a new round of exploits/bugs out that effectively renders hyperthreading insecure or useless in some contexts.

Mid to long term: probably. Immediately: nah. It will likely take months to years to develop this in to a toolchain to effectively dump the contents of memory from a non-privileged process.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Boris Galerkin posted:

Theo gonna Theo.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

k-uno posted:

Hey, quick follow-up question: if I set up a workstation to run virtual machines, is it possible to assign one entire VM to each socket? E.g. if I have a two-socket system and run two instances of Windows 10 simultaneously using VMs, can I have one copy use CPU A and one use CPU B? Doing things this way would get around a maximum core count limitation in the software I'm running, as well. If so, which would be the right VM software to use? Hyper-V? VMware workstation?

VMware esxi would be best. Workstation can do it too but in my experience it has problems hanging. Google "cpu affinity" for whatever hypervisor you're using.

Note that you really don't want to do this except to get around oracle licensing (which is the only reason the feature exists). The hypervisor needs some overhead beyond the vm workload to schedule the vcpu, so locking it to one core means the hypervisor has to halt the vm periodically to do housekeeping.

Hypervisors and host operating systems are way better at scheduling than you are; license agreements are generally the only reason to do this.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

My motherboard is solidly on the way out (stalling at 99 post code probably 40% of the time, and for some reason my audio playback is popping and catching no matter what DAC I used). Whats the current best guess for 9900K Z390 release? I really need an upgrade.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

BurritoJustice posted:

My motherboard is solidly on the way out (stalling at 99 post code probably 40% of the time, and for some reason my audio playback is popping and catching no matter what DAC I used). Whats the current best guess for 9900K Z390 release? I really need an upgrade.

End of October is a common guess, I'm waiting for the 9 series to release too.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Globalfoundries is giving up on 7nm and beyond. Looks like AMD is moving to TSMC.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
A 9700K build would be really tempting but I'm going to try to wait until AMD releases Zen 2 before deciding whether to go with Intel or AMD next time around. I want my next CPU to have as much longevity for gaming as my current i5-2500K is having.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

spasticColon posted:

A 9700K build would be really tempting but I'm going to try to wait until AMD releases Zen 2 before deciding whether to go with Intel or AMD next time around. I want my next CPU to have as much longevity for gaming as my current i5-2500K is having.

a 9700k isn't like a 8700k its more like a i5 8600k you might look at the 9800k or 9900k

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

wargames posted:

a 9700k isn't like a 8700k its more like a i5 8600k you might look at the 9800k or 9900k

But I thought the 9700k had two more cores for a total of eight but no hyper-threading? Would games even benefit from 16 threads?

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

spasticColon posted:

But I thought the 9700k had two more cores for a total of eight but no hyper-threading? Would games even benefit from 16 threads?

Correct, and it's almost a certainty that 2 real cores will outweigh 6 virtual threads, especially with higher clocks.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hyperthreading is becoming a security nightmare as well

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Clearly, the correct answer then is to get a 9900K and disable hyperthreading

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

spasticColon posted:

games dont even benefit from 8 threads at the moment tbh.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

I don't think a 9800k is even a thing.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
What you really want is the 9950X.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
4,7 GHz on all 8 Cores of the 9900 K without OC seem nice and perfect for my next Build.
While Games might not profit from the 8 cores and 16 HT (yet), it should be an amazing engine for World of Warcraft Multiboxing with 8 chars (WoW demands 1 native core per instance as best scenario) and I don‘t have to buy the more expensive (and per-CPU-quite-slower clockspeeds) i9 CPUs with 10 or 12 or 14 cores .
🤔

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 28, 2018

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Mr.PayDay posted:

4,7 GHz on all 8 Cores of the 9900 K without OC seem nice and perfect for my next Build.
While Games might not profit from the 8 cores and 16 HT (yet), it should be an amazing engine for World of Warcraft Multiboxing with 8 chars (WoW demands 1 native core per instance as best scenario) and I don‘t have to buy the more expensive (and per-CPU-quite-slower clockspeeds) i9 CPUs with 10 or 12 or 14 cores .
🤔

If I could go back in time 20 years or whenever WoW was released and show people this post from the future their heads would all explode and the timeline would stop.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Mr.PayDay posted:

what the hell is wrong with you

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

what the hell is wrong with you

Some people just really like the intricate nature of multiboxing, and setting up the predefined stimulus:response trees, so that your army of priests and druids just rolls through a BG instance shitstomping anything withing line of sight while you lead the pack with your dwarf paladin, throwing hammers and shittalking in chat.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Multiboxing is legit fun, haters gonna hate

mystes
May 31, 2006

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Some people just really like the intricate nature of multiboxing, and setting up the predefined stimulus:response trees, so that your army of priests and druids just rolls through a BG instance shitstomping anything withing line of sight while you lead the pack with your dwarf paladin, throwing hammers and shittalking in chat.
I can see the appeal of a game where you control multiple characters simultaneously, but it just seems crazy to go to such lengths to simulate this by running multiple instances of a game where you control a single character.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Whiskey Lake and Amber Lake CPUs were formally launched today. Both are actually still Kaby Lake Refresh underneath, with new names connected to the new PCH with the same features on Intels new deskop chipsets: USB3.1G2, integrated wifi, etc. They are in the "8th generation" for Intel's marketing scheme thats been broken by 10nm.

Expect all the thin and light SKUs from everybody to be updated with these.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13275/intel-launches-whiskey-lake-amber-lake

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

mystes posted:

I can see the appeal of a game where you control multiple characters simultaneously, but it just seems crazy to go to such lengths to simulate this by running multiple instances of a game where you control a single character.

It's like a huge, ever evolving puzzle wherein you generate large quantities of salt via being in control of a hivemind of highly frontloaded DPS characters. Just being able to get it working in the first place is a huge sense of accomplishment for a lot of people.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

:thunk:

You cant multibox in BG‘s since years as the /follow command was disabled in Cata IIRC.
I use it for PVE and Farming and it is amazing and fun.
The WoW Multiboxing communities are growing ( I have over 70 Multiboxing people in my Discord) since many months since you can loot ore nodes and flowers with 10 chars. Killing rare /special mobs allows looting with each char.
If you warnt to pay for all chars (if even needed, usually Multiboxing pays for itself because of the „loot performance“.) it is just a different approach to experience of the WoW.
Oh, and Multiboxing Fishing is a thing and a great Goldmaking Fundament of my portfolio of stuff I farm :coolfish:

Disadvantage: Entry cost (WoW license per char and monthly fee + IS Boxer fee and a somewhat potent system).

Edit: hence my eyes on the 9900K as interesting CPU for 8 Boxing in WoW.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 28, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Now, you think this guy sounds crazy here. He came into the WoW subforum and came off like he had three heads all speaking ancient Aramaic. Multiboxers are weird, man

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Arivia posted:

Now, you think this guy sounds crazy here. He came into the WoW subforum and came off like he had three heads all speaking ancient Aramaic. Multiboxers are weird, man

Let nerds be nerds :argh:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Cygni posted:

Whiskey Lake and Amber Lake CPUs were formally launched today. Both are actually still Kaby Lake Refresh underneath, with new names connected to the new PCH with the same features on Intels new deskop chipsets: USB3.1G2, integrated wifi, etc. They are in the "8th generation" for Intel's marketing scheme thats been broken by 10nm.

Expect all the thin and light SKUs from everybody to be updated with these.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13275/intel-launches-whiskey-lake-amber-lake

Welp, that’s pretty much just a ongoing evolution in processors. Looks like we’re waiting until 2019-2020 for a real bump and I’m looking forward to the Gen. 10-12 IGP.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Intel's laptop CPU lineup are a complete mess that even desktop enthusiasts like me are getting confused.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Palladium posted:

Intel's laptop CPU lineup are a complete mess that even desktop enthusiasts like me are getting confused.

every since skylake-x i have given up trying to figure it out intel.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Palladium posted:

At least AMD makes it simple for CPU lines on laptops: if it's AMD it's a bad laptop.

:v:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

fishmech posted:

At least AMD makes it simple for CPU lines on laptops: if it's AMD it's a bad laptop.

Someday AMD laptops won't suck....but they still won't stick in dual channel memory by default.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I had an AMD laptop ages ago (the acer ferrari one!) and I really liked it. It was really feature packed and could game on it etc.

But now they seem to just be in crappy budget ones.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

I think I just got my shipping notification for my 8086k competition; I got a mystery DPD delivery text that a package is on its way and I haven't ordered anything in weeks. I saw a reddit post where someone received theirs recently so it's the only thing I can think of.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
That's how I got mine. Just randomly got a package

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

MagusDraco posted:

Someday AMD laptops won't suck....but they still won't stick in dual channel memory by default.

if memory channels are so great, why didn't they make a memory channel 2? :smuggo:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Someone delidded a 9900K: https://wccftech.com/intel-core-i9-9900k-9th-gen-gold-solder-ihs-cpu-pictured/amp/

Khorne
May 1, 2002

fishmech posted:

AMD's current gen laptop CPUs aren't bad. They're just being put in garbage laptops by manufacturers. :(

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the inspiron 7375 isn't garbage, but the driver support for it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Intel integrated graphics doesn't support freesync or adaptive sync, right?

Sininu fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 30, 2018