Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

khwarezm posted:

God it feels so weird imagining the Venture Bros without the Monarch's constant, unexplained harassment of Rusty.

If you want another one:

Doc invented the Guild for the testicular torsion episode to have a reason that Monarch would let them go. He really wanted to start an episode right in the middle of a crazy adventure with Grover Cleveland's presidential time travel machine, but then back off it. Coulda been a show without the Guild if he'd figured out some other reason.

I think they probably would have cooked the Guild up anyway, even if it had been something else for that specific episode. You have to have a reason why these crazy people aren't just solving their problems with handguns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

khwarezm posted:

God it feels so weird imagining the Venture Bros without the Monarch's constant, unexplained harassment of Rusty.

Also Hammer and Publick say they were too lazy to do the 'monster of the week' format, but they straight up did that perfectly in season 6, they introduce Wide Wale, Copycat, Harangutan, Battleaxe, Think Tank, the Doom Factory, The Wandering Spider and of course Red Death one episode after another.

I mean, too lazy when they're barely figuring the show out is a lot different than trying to introduce a new cast of side characters in a season that has a complete setting shift.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

PostNouveau posted:

If you want another one:

Doc invented the Guild for the testicular torsion episode to have a reason that Monarch would let them go. He really wanted to start an episode right in the middle of a crazy adventure with Grover Cleveland's presidential time travel machine, but then back off it. Coulda been a show without the Guild if he'd figured out some other reason.

I think they probably would have cooked the Guild up anyway, even if it had been something else for that specific episode. You have to have a reason why these crazy people aren't just solving their problems with handguns.

I thought they came up with the Guild for the yard sale episode.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Peewi posted:

Have they started sending out shirts? I haven't received any shipping notifications.

I emailed Titmouse to change my address and they said the first shirts would ship this week.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
So The Monarch was a 6 when he had a Flying Fortress, hench army, and millions of dollars. Seems the steps gotta be pretty far apart.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

420 Gank Mid posted:

There was no mention at all of the Morpho Cave being out of stealth mode or really any mention or reaction about the Monarch's doublelife from Dr.Mrs. The Monarch this episode which was a little strange. I get the morphic trilogy is over and they moved 2 months on but not even a peep in what was otherwise a fairly monarch-heavy episode

Given the nature of the show, they'll probably bring it up again at a time that's more dramatically or comedically important.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Moose-Alini posted:

So The Monarch was a 6 when he had a Flying Fortress, hench army, and millions of dollars. Seems the steps gotta be pretty far apart.

He was a 9 or 10 at that point. He became a 4 after Vatred blew up all his poo poo and has now worked his way up to a 6 by bringing on Manolo's crew as henchmen and getting the million dollar check from Dean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUT2bkyzuSE

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I also don't think they need to be really clear about what makes a six vs a seven or something, since the levels are only important in that Monarch still can't arch Doc until he works his way up.

Was there a promo or teaser for the next episode? I swear I saw a hint of it when I was watching TV, but I had to chase after a puppy so I didn't actually see anything.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
In season 6 episode 2

Monarch: “what level am I now?”
Dr Girlfriend: “On the books, your a level 6. But that was when you had over a hundred henchmen and a flying cocoon. If I reassessed now.... maybe a 3”

I literally just watched this, why it’s so fresh in my mind.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Moose-Alini posted:

In season 6 episode 2

Dr Girlfriend: “On the books, your a level 6. But that was when you had over a hundred henchmen and a flying cocoon. If I reassessed now.... maybe a 3”

I think the main thing is that he has to be a 10, which means "at least theoretically in the same league as Red Death."

And okay, Red Death is probably significantly scarier than any other level 10, (and he got there with no henchmen — I'm not even sure whether he uses powers or tech) but he has to come across as playing on that field.

Although honestly a lot of the villains Wide Wale was leasing Rusty out to were either lower than 10 or there's a lot of give in the ratings.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Right, but back when he was a 6, so was Rusty. Now Rusty is a 10 after his vast inheritence and resources.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
3 -> a condemned house and a badass right-hand man

4 -> a condemned house, a badass right-hand man, and train fare

5 -> a house, a badass right-hand man, a handful of 'henchmen'

6 -> 100+ henchmen, flying cocoon, competent partner, badass right-hand man

9-10 -> unlimited henchmen, flying cocoon, competent partner, badass right-hand man, flying car

Seriously, what's so hard to understand

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I mean Wide Wale's henchmen have powerarmor, he's got that tunneling whale tank thing, and he owns a massive skyscraper. That's definitely a step up from the monarch crew in its heyday.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RandallODim posted:

3 -> a condemned house and a badass right-hand man

4 -> a condemned house, a badass right-hand man, and train fare

5 -> a house, a badass right-hand man, a handful of 'henchmen'

6 -> 100+ henchmen, flying cocoon, competent partner, badass right-hand man

9-10 -> unlimited henchmen, flying cocoon, competent partner, badass right-hand man, flying car butter glider

Seriously, what's so hard to understand

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Moose-Alini posted:

In season 6 episode 2

The clip I posted was from season 6 episode 7. :shrug: Maybe the flying car was worth 3 levels.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

big dyke energy posted:

Was there a promo or teaser for the next episode? I swear I saw a hint of it when I was watching TV, but I had to chase after a puppy so I didn't actually see anything.
There is this. It looks like it will be the "Treaty of Tolerance" episode, complete with Watch sucking at the trumpet.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Didn't they say Harangutan was level 10?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rand Brittain posted:

Although honestly a lot of the villains Wide Wale was leasing Rusty out to were either lower than 10 or there's a lot of give in the ratings.

i dont see why you couldn't lease out your arching claim to less than level 10s, honestly wide wale as a landlord for rusty's nemesis rights both makes sense from a business perspective as well as is a great way to piss off the monarch

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

TK-42-1 posted:

I mean Wide Wale's henchmen have powerarmor, he's got that tunneling whale tank thing, and he owns a massive skyscraper. That's definitely a step up from the monarch crew in its heyday.

the artbook mentions he doesn't own the skyscraper, he simply owns a suite there (not that I don't agree with your overall point)

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Preem Palver posted:

The clip I posted was from season 6 episode 7. :shrug: Maybe the flying car was worth 3 levels.

I know none of this matters, just a thought I had. But I took this more as overestimating himself, or just using as an example, not that he ever was at level 9 or 10 officially. 6 seems to have been his cap. Wide Whale and Monstroso seem to have billion dollar industries under their belts, with global reach and unlimited manpower. That’s really some next level stuff.

I wonder where Red Deaths horse came from.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Also The Monarch was a 6 even with all his stuff because it was lovely guys in yellow jerkins getting shithoused by Brock. The cocoon was pretty cool, but other than that his tech has a history of not being very dangerous.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Dracula Factory posted:

Also The Monarch was a 6 even with all his stuff because it was lovely guys in yellow jerkins getting shithoused by Brock. The cocoon was pretty cool, but other than that his tech has a history of not being very dangerous.

I mean he just stole it all from Hatred so...not exactly high level villainy to not even make your own weapons. Outside of the hand cocoon web thing he used to marionette venture with that Red Death liked I guess.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think that diagram of who was arching Rusty could have used some more thought. I think the people in the middle tier were definitely level 10, while the ones at the bottom could have been lower. Though the Andy Warhol type definitely seemed like he was more of a level 10 than Haranguetan. He seems more like a level 3 or 4.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

He was one of the people Wide Whale subcontracted arching rights to, iirc. For what its worth, he had a pretty cool "tank."

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

The monarch is a mere five but THE BLUE MORRRRPHO is strikes terror in both the Guild and the OSI as a NIIIIIIIINE

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mraagvpeine posted:

I think Dr Mrs The Monarch called him a level 10 when they were retrieving the body, yeah. Maybe he used to be more impressive and fell on hard times between reassessments or something

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

I think that diagram of who was arching Rusty could have used some more thought. I think the people in the middle tier were definitely level 10, while the ones at the bottom could have been lower. Though the Andy Warhol type definitely seemed like he was more of a level 10 than Haranguetan. He seems more like a level 3 or 4.

hell yeah, the doom factory not only crushed rusty's ego but they also stole his poo poo. it was a spectacular arch before they got blown up by the blue monarch

i'm guessing harangutan was just good at provoking people and he was about to throw down with brock before he got god gassed. never got his chance to shine

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did anyone else point out the things Hank wants in his room?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It definitely seems like The Monarch was trying to punch way above his weight in this episode. Victor von Helping was definitely lower than he should have been. I'm guessing the fact that he doesn't want that life means he doesn't go full throttle very often, so the guild underestimated him.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

I think the guild ranking system is primarily a story device that exists to give the Monarch motivation, and while it's fun and produces some good comedic situations (Like Dr. Z performing a villain competence inspection or TURRRRRNBUCKLE), worrying about how it applies to every hero-villain match up and expecting the show to maintain a perfectly consistent internal logic in regards to it is not fun.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe for you. I like to figure out how things work in the background.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Did anyone else point out the things Hank wants in his room?

The kid's got good taste.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Someone trolled Dear Prudence: https://news.avclub.com/dear-prudence-has-some-advice-for-hank-and-dean-venture-1828657108/amp

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Cojawfee posted:

Agreed, also if I ever run a Superhero RPG I'll probably end up stealing a lot of bits from this show for the world building

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

feetnotes posted:

I think the guild ranking system is primarily a story device that exists to give the Monarch motivation, and while it's fun and produces some good comedic situations (Like Dr. Z performing a villain competence inspection or TURRRRRNBUCKLE), worrying about how it applies to every hero-villain match up and expecting the show to maintain a perfectly consistent internal logic in regards to it is not fun.

lmfao look at this nerdlinger

But, yeah. MST3k had it right.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm resisting the urge to go back to season 2 when Phantom Limb said what level Rusty was, what level weapons the Monarch was allowed to use, and so on.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Sash! posted:

I'm resisting the urge to go back to season 2 when Phantom Limb said what level Rusty was, what level weapons the Monarch was allowed to use, and so on.

Pretty sure those numbers were just referring to the guild packages available to him. Iirc it was "A number six; with henchmen"

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Cojawfee posted:

How it works in the background -

Doc and Publik made poo poo up about levels as they went along, it's never going to make sense if you think about it :)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Sash! posted:

He was discussing weaponry. The monarch's henchmen were using level 5 offensive weapons against a level 1 threat, no offense to Dr. Venture. I don't believe those levels of weapons have to do with the EMA level. Even if they do, an ordinary handgun as level 5 isn't crazy considering giant lasers and walking death rays are among the tools of evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

reignofevil posted:

Pretty sure those numbers were just referring to the guild packages available to him. Iirc it was "A number six; with henchmen"

That was a different episode Victor Echo November vs Hate Floats. Limb was selling the Monarch a guild package.

Good god I know way too much venture bros poo poo off the top of my head.