Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Taking the time to look at Wiz's latest teaser I think it's a great change. Previously happiness was just a bonus/penalty to productivity and at very low levels could cause some fairly meaningless "unrest". The new system looks at stability, which is so much more flexible. Happy workers are productive workers is a lovely truism for a nice egalitarian society, but a slave society isn't going to really give a poo poo about the happiness of its slaves. A corporate dictatorship is not going to care much about how happy and fulfilled the working class are and so on. Slave and other oppressive societies are built around negating or ignoring the plight of their workers. Stability then instead represents the overall effectiveness of your society's model on that planet.

So an egalitarian society is going to want to try to make everyone happy because as an open democratic society it functions better when everyone feels happy and stable as everyone's plight is more or less equal. It doesn't matter if that elite pop is super happy and sitting on a pile of luxuries, those 2 unhappy workers more than outweigh him. But a brutal class-based society can safely ignore the peasants and slaves because stability in their society is based on the happiness and loyalty of the elite. That one happy elite pop more than makes up for the 10 miserable slaves, their misery doesn't effect the system of their society.

This is great because now pops like slaves and oppressed workers can be extremely unhappy, which hopefully can one day hook up into a more meaningful unrest and revolt system, but not have their production penalized. It also means we no longer need to micro happy/unhappy pops. Previously you might be running materialist empire where everyone is 100% happy due to your policies, but that one loving spiritualist pop is at 40%, and he's working the god drat ministry of culture, a very important and productive building. Now the effects of happiness are abstracted planet-wide into stability, so the individual per-tile happiness bonus/penalty isn't something you need to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Poor wiz, thought of pushback and died :horse:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

New happy sounds good and more interesting than old happy.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

From what we know now it sounds like housing is tied to districts, of which planets can only support a finite amount. Some allowing for more than others depending on the type.

We've also seen some building types that show you can build additional housing in building slots as you unlock them so you'll have to weigh the benefits of using them for that vs. production/research and there's probably tech that helps there as well but it doesn't seem you can just build vertically forever. At some point you'll top out and have to find somewhere else to dump people.

I’m curious how much of an impact will be felt by overcrowding/negative housing. Maybe with the proper subsidies/buildings/whatever we can just shove people into tighter and tighter quarters and they won’t complain too much.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Psychotic Weasel posted:

From what we know now it sounds like housing is tied to districts, of which planets can only support a finite amount. Some allowing for more than others depending on the type.

We've also seen some building types that show you can build additional housing in building slots as you unlock them so you'll have to weigh the benefits of using them for that vs. production/research and there's probably tech that helps there as well but it doesn't seem you can just build vertically forever. At some point you'll top out and have to find somewhere else to dump people.

You could add tiers of district that get progressively more idiotically expensive for housing, mind.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could probably mod in some really cool planetary upgrades with this system, like an equatorial ring or something you construct as a megastructure which adds district slots to the host planet for a variety of really special development types and/or extra housing.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I don't remember seeing anything about it, is there a way to stop growth on a planet? Maybe an empire policy setting that limits how much overcrowding there can be?

Anno
May 10, 2017

binge crotching posted:

I don't remember seeing anything about it, is there a way to stop growth on a planet? Maybe an empire policy setting that limits how much overcrowding there can be?

Wiz mentioned “growth controls” in a broad sense. We don’t know if that’s just a Civ-like “stop growing” box or not to my knowledge.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Presumably running out of housing creates a negative growth modifier so, all other things being equal, you won't end up with much if any overcrowding.

But the diaries do say that some crowding is good because it increases emigration pressure, which in turn increases growth through immigration in new colonies.

It would be a little funny if the optimal strategy is to make all your old worlds just a bit poo poo so new ones grow faster.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah that's one of my worries is what options we'll have to control growth will all be brutal and make factions mad. Like our options will be "let population grow out of control" or "ban all reproduction for this species". The game just isn't socially/economically detailed enough to really model the various factors that so heavily influence actual population growth. If it's too easy and just a button then overpopulation will never be a risk, but if any sort of controls are limited to tyrants egalitarians will be forced to constantly be expanding to house their uncontrollably growing pops.

I'd really like overpopulation to be a worry, but I'd like it so all types of societies have some way of dealing with it. A dictatorship can just decree a 1-child policy, while a democracy might need to offer carrots instead of sticks to get people to be mindful of their family sizes. A corporate directorate could simply make raising a family cripplingly expensive. A theocracy could have a cultural push towards celebrating celibacy. Lots of flavourful options!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

* Social Justice: Enabling this option will grant cultural and social equality to the historically subaltern portions of your primary species, increasing happiness and production and somewhat reducing population growth (due to other pursuits).
** Angers the Gamer faction.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Looking forward to having robot Enforcers to keep the proles in line

Anno
May 10, 2017

I do think overpopulation and its downsides could be an interesting internal late-game crisis of sorts. If there’s some sort of magic solution for it I hope it’s at least one that I need to sacrifice other parts of my empire to achieve.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Go with Flesh is Weak to get Literally Robocop.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Imagine going with synthetic ascension but it's only for the upper class and their cyborg enforcers. Unemployed worker pops are hunted down in the streets and their organs REPO'd until only robot workers and the elite remain.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Anno posted:

I do think overpopulation and its downsides could be an interesting internal late-game crisis of sorts. If there’s some sort of magic solution for it I hope it’s at least one that I need to sacrifice other parts of my empire to achieve.

I don't want to live in a world where the solution isn't "Build more ringworlds"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Demiurge4 posted:

Imagine going with synthetic ascension but it's only for the upper class and their cyborg enforcers. Unemployed worker pops are hunted down in the streets and their organs REPO'd until only robot workers and the elite remain.

This is the sort of storytelling I want in the game. Biological immortality treatments? Only for the rich in this society. Uplift to a perfect immortal machine? Sorry, only for the ruling class.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

The idea that as you attain mastery over literal suns and have limitless energy and materials you can't find a place for people to live or that they get mad about stuff like traffic and health care, doesn't really resonate with me.

It does seem to be that the politics / internal strife stuff is being fleshed out, from a personal preference level I just wish that the problems that these future societies encountered were extrapolations of current problems imagined in a future setting instead of a 1:1 translation of existing problems.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

What in Stellaris could possibly give you the impression there's limitless energy and materials? There's not. This is literally what the whole living standards mechanic is about.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Ham Sandwiches posted:

The idea that as you attain mastery over literal suns and have limitless energy and materials you can't find a place for people to live or that they get mad about stuff like traffic and health care, doesn't really resonate with me.

It does seem to be that the politics / internal strife stuff is being fleshed out, from a personal preference level I just wish that the problems that these future societies encountered were extrapolations of current problems imagined in a future setting instead of a 1:1 translation of existing problems.

I suspect though that unless the game goes truly 'post-body' then living space will always be an issue. i.e. we don't have the option to upload the whole of society to computer mainframes (rather than robot bodies) or transcend into an energy state so physical space is just a cornerstone of the game for the time being even when matter replication and teleportation become possible and as a poster above suggested 'just build more ringworlds'.

What I would like to see, which is what I think you're suggesting, is reference to the social problems caused by technological advances, e.g. what happens when people clone themselves too much or become unhappy with their robot bodies ect, e.g. how do you manage a society where the same person can exist in three different places at once or whatever.
Things like Altered Carbon and Alpha Centurai touch on issues like this but I wonder if it's outside of the intended scope of Stellaris, which is mostly divorced from the personal issues of your populations.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It's not that we can't find solutions to the problems of the masses, but why dedicate our resources to making their lives better when our peacekeeping robots are already taking care of the problem?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Log082 posted:

I don't want to live in a world where the solution isn't "Build more ringworlds"

That would definitely be my preferred option. Or better yet just have one ringworld be able to hold essentially infinite pops but require massive costs upfront and to continue expanding. Basically a planet with like 999 available city districts that scale in cost or something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah that's one of my worries is what options we'll have to control growth will all be brutal and make factions mad. Like our options will be "let population grow out of control" or "ban all reproduction for this species". The game just isn't socially/economically detailed enough to really model the various factors that so heavily influence actual population growth. If it's too easy and just a button then overpopulation will never be a risk, but if any sort of controls are limited to tyrants egalitarians will be forced to constantly be expanding to house their uncontrollably growing pops.

I'd really like overpopulation to be a worry, but I'd like it so all types of societies have some way of dealing with it. A dictatorship can just decree a 1-child policy, while a democracy might need to offer carrots instead of sticks to get people to be mindful of their family sizes. A corporate directorate could simply make raising a family cripplingly expensive. A theocracy could have a cultural push towards celebrating celibacy. Lots of flavourful options!

Conceivably you could have it such that if you keep people happy (or suppressed) enough then overpopulation reaches equilibrium without tanking your empire.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

The sun doesn't have rights. Your people might not either, but if they do, then they do not become easier to control as you advance technologically, unlike the sun.

The sun is very big but ultimately, static. Your population is not.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 28, 2018

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Nickiepoo posted:

What I would like to see, which is what I think you're suggesting, is reference to the social problems caused by technological advances, e.g. what happens when people clone themselves too much or become unhappy with their robot bodies ect, e.g. how do you manage a society where the same person can exist in three different places at once or whatever.
Things like Altered Carbon and Alpha Centurai touch on issues like this but I wonder if it's outside of the intended scope of Stellaris, which is mostly divorced from the personal issues of your populations.

Yeah, that's a great way of putting it. I imagine there will be strife in the future, it seems like a likely source of that strife is the ever diverging goals of the various species. Even today, our materialists and spiritualists have differences of opinion. Imagine how spiritualists would react to people putting themselves in robot bodies or egalitarians reacting to someone discovering the equivalent of nerve stapling and the destruction of individual will or some such jazz.

To me it's interesting to look at those conflicts rather than like, the immigrants are space stealing

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Nickiepoo posted:

I suspect though that unless the game goes truly 'post-body' then living space will always be an issue. i.e. we don't have the option to upload the whole of society to computer mainframes (rather than robot bodies) or transcend into an energy state so physical space is just a cornerstone of the game for the time being even when matter replication and teleportation become possible and as a poster above suggested 'just build more ringworlds'.

Alpha Centauri is primarily about humans, and only the expansion introduces any active "playable" intelligent life that aren't humans. (Yes there is Planet but Planet is a... planet, and is more like a factor of how the game progresses.)

I think things like clone angst would be logical to tie into factions. But some species might not care. Maybe your buggers are such that every "individual" is a small hive with a queen and fifty worker drones. That would put a very different color on the perception of "cloning" than it would for organisms like humans!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I wouldn't really say stellaris supports very "alien" aliens, gestalt consciousness aside. They might be slightly stronger or shorter-lived, but they're basically humans in suits as far as the mechanics are concerned.

Not intended as a criticism, just a statement of fact.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Having more-alien aliens seems to be a design goal of 2.2, though. Or at least the capability to make them in the future.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Is it "talk about getting more of the really funky civics and putting them in their own section" time yet?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Strudel Man posted:

I wouldn't really say stellaris supports very "alien" aliens, gestalt consciousness aside. They might be slightly stronger or shorter-lived, but they're basically humans in suits as far as the mechanics are concerned.

Not intended as a criticism, just a statement of fact.
Well to a certain extent this could be seen as an artistic statement. Most aliens in the game will be something comprehensible by humans because the game was made by and for humans, and a lot of the alternate versions of "really alien aliens" people have would, in the context of these things, either be "the Super Alien wins (because it's so smart/ruthless/robot/nanotechnological/the Thing) (and that's good, bad, or inevitable anyway)" or "The Really Alien Alien is playing such a completely different game that you could more accurately model them as occasional events."

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Nessus posted:

Well to a certain extent this could be seen as an artistic statement.
I wouldn't even call it an artistic statement so much as a natural restriction of the medium, but yes, that's a large part of why it wasn't a criticism. I'm not sure any game has had playable "alien" aliens, for the reasons you describe.

Edit: maybe the one with the space dolphins.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think a big weakness in the game is that it's extreme flexibility with race design also means it's hard to get those really interesting specifics. For example if you could only play as humans, or "human" was a detailed category of species like robots and hive it could be packed full of more human-centric mechanics and fluff because we know how human biology and psychology and politics work. But we have to keep things generic, flexible. This ability to make custom races is also a huge strength of the game, but it leads to what I call "cloud syndrome" in any game with random/procedural content. Sure, every cloud is technically unique, but once you've seen a few of each type you've kinda seen them all and the infinite variety ends up boiling down to just a handful of notable types.

I'm glad the general species types in Stellaris have been getting fleshed out more, I hope they do more though for the more generic "person" species though where you can really flesh out their society and biology a little more beyond some generic modifiers and lets you define how your internal politics and economy works in more detail. Are my aliens just trek style "people but with a different culture" or are there some real fundamental differences in our brains and thus our societies and outlooks and thus interactions? Things beyond flexible ethos. A species that grew up on a planet with no real concept of predators and find it physiologically nearly impossible to have desires that would lead to militarism. Different evolution, different brains, different weights on ethos, optionally. Make species potentially less generic and flexible. What does your pacifist empire do after conquering a species of brutal apex predators who a physically unable of adopting the concept of pacifism and have a strong biological weight towards militarist? What does your spiritualist empire do with its vassal of "flying computer" bird people who's brains and thus society has no concept of spiritualism?

We can have a huge variety of biology in the game, but outside of hives and robots all species have the same psychology, seemingly the exact same brains all equally open to any sort of ethos. I'm not saying make all aliens have hard-wired ethos biases, but the option to play as or encounter aliens that do could really help make species memorable and unique. Sometimes you can't just change a species core psychology with propaganda and faction suppression.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
It'd be hard to do a lot of that well, but I have always thought every species should itself come with maybe one inherent ethic predisposition. Not locking it out of the opposite, but giving it a certain leaning.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Strudel Man posted:

It'd be hard to do a lot of that well, but I have always thought every species should itself come with maybe one inherent ethic predisposition. Not locking it out of the opposite, but giving it a certain leaning.
By every species do you mean all the portrait categories? I thought it's kind of a strength of the game, if perhaps not a deliberate one, that the appearance of a species is absolutely independent of its ethical or moral virtues. Those cute snuggly shy flowers can be genocidal purifiers, those jagged-tooth fungus monsters can be peaceful federation-builders.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Nessus posted:

Those cute snuggly shy flowers can be genocidal purifiers

Surely "must be"?

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
I dunno, Happy Tree Friends using one of the Cuties appearances for a fanatic purifier just comes off as trying too hard to me.

I just want all the species and ship packs. All of them. Make an Aquatics species pack where every species is floating in a giant fish bowl.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Titanic sized aliens.

each pop is literally 1 alien

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Synthbuttrange posted:

Titanic sized aliens.

each pop is literally 1 alien

I remember a game... Reach for the Stars? Where one of the races was like this. Unlike the other races where they started with tiny ships and developed bigger ones with tech, the titan race started with superdreadnaughts and had to research smaller ones. Cruisers were single seat fighters to them, and frigates were AI drones and a late game tech.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Bremen posted:

I remember a game... Reach for the Stars? Where one of the races was like this. Unlike the other races where they started with tiny ships and developed bigger ones with tech, the titan race started with superdreadnaughts and had to research smaller ones. Cruisers were single seat fighters to them, and frigates were AI drones and a late game tech.
Aren't these people in the game as the Yuht?

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here
They were giant floating whales that lived in gas giants. There were also tiny bugs that lived on meteorites and made tiny spaceships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Wiz did u put the possible sol where instead of ww2 or tomb roaches or cave men it's titanic life + presapient reptiles?

Wiz when is Sexy Planets DLC coming out and also I want to play as space amoebas