Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Packers are efficiently run despite having an alcoholic owner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

kiimo posted:

The Packers are efficiently run despite having an alcoholic owner.

The state of Wisconsin?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yes

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

a neat cape posted:

Haven't the raiders already done this to the point where selling anything else would mean Mark would be giving up the controlling interest?

Holy poo poo is this true?

Great point. I never thought

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Amy Pole Her posted:

Holy poo poo is this true?

Great point. I never thought

Al Davis had about 47% prior to his death, but there were poison pills baked in making it essentially controlling. Not a lot of room left to maneuver.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-silence-elders-tells-raiders-2009oct31-story.html

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Someone should look out how much guaranteed money teams give out in contracts vs how rich their owners are

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://sports.yahoo.com/heres-raiders-khalil-mack-contract-stalemate-no-end-sight-053506892.html

quote:

The Oakland Raiders and Khalil Mack have made no progress on resolving a contract impasse that is now likely to result in the All-Pro defensive end missing regular-season games, according to sources familiar with the standoff.

quote:

• Head coach Jon Gruden has not been directly involved in talks, but the deal is not entirely in the hands of general manager Reggie McKenzie. While McKenzie has long had his own thought process on how Mack would be extended, a deal of this magnitude can’t be consummated without Gruden’s approval. Needing Gruden to sign off essentially has put him in charge of the purse strings when it comes to Mack’s extension (or lack thereof), which has apparently been a drag on talks that haven’t gotten off the ground. This was a point made forcefully clear by multiple sources – that unless team owner Mark Davis steps in, Gruden has the final say over whatever happens with Mack’s deal. This means whether Mack is traded, extended or shelved until reporting to the franchise on his current deal, Gruden’s final call is the definitive piece of the puzzle.

Funding a long-term deal for Mack is not an issue for the Raiders’ Davis. Sources said Davis has the necessary financial liquidity to put Mack’s fully guaranteed funds into escrow, per the league’s collective-bargaining agreement.

• Regardless of what Gruden has said publicly, the Raiders will pick up the phone for potential trade offers. Gruden, however, is going to go above and beyond to make one point clear to teams: Despite the contract issue, the Raiders consider Mack an elite-level edge talent and their best defensive player. That means Oakland is going to only consider deals that are significant superstar-level overtures.

Another NFL team isn’t going to get Mack for an aging star and a draft pick, or a hodgepodge of middle-round draft ammunition. Oakland feels it’s in a position of leverage over Mack and the franchise would rather gamble on that leverage than give a superstar away.

ahaha Gruden is loving everything up

also it looks like the Raiders won't give Mack up for something like a player + a first round, they want two firsts, which takes Green Bay off the table if that demand holds up imho, we're already butting up against the cap with Rodgers' contract, paying Mack and Rodgers and giving up significant draft capital and rookie contracts just isn't happening

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Honestly I see the Raiders dilemma. It's tough to justify paying 20-25m a year to anyone who isn't a QB. Mack is one of the best edge defenders to ever play, he is a complete terror as a pass rusher and sets an unblockable edge in the run game. His game has no weaknesses and he is barely hurt and on the sidelines. Yet the Raiders defense is still abysmal with him. It's just the nature of how football has evolved that everything revolves around the QB now and so I think some football decision makers have decided that huge contracts should not be given out to other positions because, despite Mack's brilliance, his position can be schemed around and minimized by a good OC. You can't scheme away a great QB no matter how much defensive talent you have.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
TIL that guaranteed money is placed in an escrow

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://sports.yahoo.com/heres-raiders-khalil-mack-contract-stalemate-no-end-sight-053506892.html

ahaha Gruden is loving everything up

also it looks like the Raiders won't give Mack up for something like a player + a first round, they want two firsts, which takes Green Bay off the table if that demand holds up imho, we're already butting up against the cap with Rodgers' contract, paying Mack and Rodgers and giving up significant draft capital and rookie contracts just isn't happening

Green Bay could just extend past this year, they have 38m in cap space in 2019 at a quick glance. The Rodgers extension will probably take 9m of that, so if they want to go all in they could do it money-wise. They look like they have a bunch of free agents and they would give up a ton of draft capital so it's probably doesn't make sense that way.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Honestly I see the Raiders dilemma. It's tough to justify paying 20-25m a year to anyone who isn't a QB. Mack is one of the best edge defenders to ever play, he is a complete terror as a pass rusher and sets an unblockable edge in the run game. His game has no weaknesses and he is barely hurt and on the sidelines. Yet the Raiders defense is still abysmal with him. It's just the nature of how football has evolved that everything revolves around the QB now and so I think some football decision makers have decided that huge contracts should not be given out to other positions because, despite Mack's brilliance, his position can be schemed around and minimized by a good OC. You can't scheme away a great QB no matter how much defensive talent you have.

The thing is, money is mostly irrelevant to finding a franchise QB. If you need one, you have to leverage draft assets until you find one, OR have a player caliber roster on the super rare chance one actually hits free agency.

The Raiders problem is they're paying a bunch of money to over the hill vets who aren't worth it right now, which is dragging down the team. Mack at $25m isn't the problem, it's that they're still paying like 7 other guys $80m who are playing like they're worth half that.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That post would make me so jealous two years ago.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1034446325713195008?s=20

Who’s this guy

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Who even has 2 firsts to give up? Seems like the dumbest thing for a franchise to do unless they're betting on consecutive playoff runs.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

The thing is, money is mostly irrelevant to finding a franchise QB. If you need one, you have to leverage draft assets until you find one, OR have a player caliber roster on the super rare chance one actually hits free agency.

The Raiders problem is they're paying a bunch of money to over the hill vets who aren't worth it right now, which is dragging down the team. Mack at $25m isn't the problem, it's that they're still paying like 7 other guys $80m who are playing like they're worth half that.

Those contracts were nessasary just a few years ago because the Raiders had been such garbage for so long they had to overpay to get anyone. I'm not really sure they're out of the woods yet.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Who even has 2 firsts to give up? Seems like the dumbest thing for a franchise to do unless they're betting on consecutive playoff runs.

I feel like anyone with the cap space to sign him can delude themselves into trading for him except maybe the bears

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1034527488498651137

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1034524071822802944

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 28, 2018

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

Linebacker drafted in 2016 for his pass rushing ability who Dean Pees tried to convert to ILB. He might be useful if you play him at the position he has some productive experience in, but given that Pees is currently running your defense, I don't know if I'd hold my breath.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/sportstori/status/1034524242904330240

:psyduck:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1034530485114945541

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

An OLB moved to ILB under then Defensive Coordinator Dean Pees where he proceeded to suck balls, so luckily he'll be playing in Tennessee under....oh

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

If cutting Iloka made the numbers work for these deals then godspeed George

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1034533011470143488

Good luck with Aaron Donald LA

GOOD TIMES ON METH fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 28, 2018

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

FizFashizzle posted:

I've never heard that in my entire football following life.

I think the Raiders might not actually have the money to pay Mack.

weird Asian candy posted:

I heard yesterday on the radio that as soon as game 1 hits, teams get that sweet sweet tv deal money and the Raiders would be able to afford him then.

No clue the validity of that or not but :shrug:

Kalli posted:

LMAO, this is all a bunch of bullshit.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
lmfao @ the new thread title

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

If cutting Iloka made the numbers work for these deals then godspeed George

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1034533011470143488

Good luck with Aaron Donald LA

Donald's deal was already quoted at 22m/year

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

warcrimes posted:

LMAO, this is all a bunch of bullshit.

Very convincing argument

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Part of the issue is that the Davis family got rich through football and nothing else. For the other billionaire owners, football is just a part of their total cash flow.

I don't know how exactly Green Bay does it but I don't think we've ever had cash problems, the organization is very efficiently run.

Green Bay had cash problems before the Lambeau remodel in 2003. There were talks of having to move the team. The proshop and everything else from the renovation has been enough to keep the revenue not only up but towards the top of the league.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pops Mgee posted:

Green Bay had cash problems before the Lambeau remodel in 2003. There were talks of having to move the team. The proshop and everything else from the renovation has been enough to keep the revenue not only up but towards the top of the league.

The remodel went really well, and I think the stadium looks a lot better than it did prior to it.

They also can rent out the atrium for events as well, namely weddings.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

With the caveat that I don't think Mack is going anywhere until proven otherwise I believe Green Bay is the only team that currently owns two first round selections next year. Theirs and New Orleans.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

a neat cape posted:

Very convincing argument

It has more merit than people putting stock in limo drivers and false financial assessments.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I think Mack might actually end up stuck in a bit of limbo this season between the Raiders apparently not being interested in paying him what he's worth and the rest of the league not being in a great position to both trade for and pay the man

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Raiders are slightly less dead than Bosa

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

a neat cape posted:

Very convincing argument

War crimes stopped trying months ago.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Play posted:

I think Mack might actually end up stuck in a bit of limbo this season between the Raiders apparently not being interested in paying him what he's worth and the rest of the league not being in a great position to both trade for and pay the man

McKenzie has a long standing policy of not re-negotiating contracts or extension talks unless the player has reported. He did it with Donald Penn last year, who ended up holding out 30+ days but eventually showed up and got paid. Raiders also have a lot of leverage here, Mack is under contract this coming season and can be franchised until he's 30. Mack's agent, Joel Segal, has a history of contentious negotiations but Mack stands to lose roughly $800k a game and a year of FA eligibility if he misses actual games. The Raiders are about to become the only team in the league paying two guys $20m each so the "just pay the man" crowd needs to chill. This isn't an easy negotiation but I'm confident it will get done.

The Raiders are not trading Khalil Mack. Quote this when he's a Detroit Lion.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Rather pay Mack 23m a year than Sammy Watkins 16m a year to be the 4th offensive option

schmug
May 20, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Who even has 2 firsts to give up? Seems like the dumbest thing for a franchise to do unless they're trying to take over the nfl.

Is this rhetorical?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

warcrimes posted:

McKenzie has a long standing policy of not re-negotiating contracts or extension talks unless the player has reported. He did it with Donald Penn last year, who ended up holding out 30+ days but eventually showed up and got paid. Raiders also have a lot of leverage here, Mack is under contract this coming season and can be franchised until he's 30. Mack's agent, Joel Segal, has a history of contentious negotiations but Mack stands to lose roughly $800k a game and a year of FA eligibility if he misses actual games. The Raiders are about to become the only team in the league paying two guys $20m each so the "just pay the man" crowd needs to chill. This isn't an easy negotiation but I'm confident it will get done.

The Raiders are not trading Khalil Mack. Quote this when he's a Detroit Lion.

I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing but that's exactly what I meant by 'limbo'

DaFrugalGamer
Aug 6, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/PeteCarroll/status/1034529802189848576?s=20

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

what the gently caress

e: oh, as in Khalil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Play posted:

I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing but that's exactly what I meant by 'limbo'

It was more of a "this is where things actually are, stop taking click bait seriously" than directly refuting what you're saying. I think once Donald signs and his actual details get out, Mack reports and they get a deal done quickly so he is in a kind of limbo atm.

• Locked thread