Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Roland Jones posted:

I've heard that A Feast For Odin is pretty good, but I don't think they're ready for that. (And definitely not for Ex Libris, another worker placement game that I've told them about and that they thought was interesting, but that's definitely way too cutthroat for some of them, on a tangent for that particular genre.)

You thought Ex Libria was too cutthroat? My one play just felt random. That’s one of the few games I’ve played where I just have no interest in giving it a second chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Caverna is pretty drat chill and cute

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Just got Space Alert and Dungeon Lords, which complete my Vlaada collection :woop:

now watch as I hear that I've been living in a cave and Space Alert is an outdated meme and... gently caress it, at least I know I like DL.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Pierzak posted:

Just got Space Alert and Dungeon Lords, which complete my Vlaada collection :woop:

now watch as I hear that I've been living in a cave and Space Alert is an outdated meme and... gently caress it, at least I know I like DL.
Space Alert is still extremely cool and good. It has yet to be surpassed.

Also I finally got Root and I'm probably gonna give it a go this Sunday! Can't wait

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Space Alert is still best in class - the closest competition is Captain Sonar and Kitchen Rush and niether quite make it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I'm looking forward to grinding my usual Friday group through that misery simulator. Been reading the rules and I'm already :allears: in anticipation of the bullshit the expansion's gonna pull when we think we know the game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Space Alert is still best in class - the closest competition is Captain Sonar and Kitchen Rush and niether quite make it.
I own both Captain Sonar and Kitchen Rush and like them for having similar but still distinct experiences: Captain Sonar for the competitive aspect of it and the fact that everyone has a strict, defined job, and kitchen rush because I like the theme of it a lot (the designer of Kitchen Rush loves Space Alert and I was the one to teach him how to play it)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Space Alert's biggest flaw is simply how hard it is to pull out and teach. Sure, the game takes 10 minutes to play (plus resolution), but either you a number of tutorial scenarios, or you spend a bunch of time frontloading everyone with a ton of info, none of which they can really ask about during the game since it's so overwhelming and real-time.

But when everyone knows what everything is, the game really shines.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

dropkickpikachu posted:

What board game that's actually tactically and strategically interesting is also the most chill?

Like, what's a game where you can get completely thrashed in points but in the end nobody is too sad because you all had such a chill time pushing your little tokens around and getting an engine going or whatever?

It's probably an Uwe Rosenberg game isn't it

I find Castles of Burgundy to be a very relaxing experience, you build stuff and get points for building stuff. You just kinda flow with the rolls and adapt as needed. Finishing an area on your map just feels nice.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Boxman posted:

Miniature Market sells Zen Bins and Stonemeier sells their own tiny boxes.

I assume these are the sizes you're looking for. Depending on what exactly you need, check out a craft store. They have plastic bins that have lots of little cubbies of a bunch of different configurations. That's how we store our copy of Castles of Burgundy.

Thanks! I actually found the Geek Boxes at thewarstore.com. The MM link led me to the Zen Bins for Star Wars Rebellion and I might get those.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Space Alert's biggest flaw is simply how hard it is to pull out and teach. Sure, the game takes 10 minutes to play (plus resolution), but either you a number of tutorial scenarios, or you spend a bunch of time frontloading everyone with a ton of info, none of which they can really ask about during the game since it's so overwhelming and real-time.

But when everyone knows what everything is, the game really shines.
My teaching method is not applicable to all groups, but basically boils down to having two experienced players. You have one player doing comms, and one player dealing with internal threats. I teach everything, but only roughly explain threats and internal threats, and the first game we just run through it with the more experienced players letting the other players know what needs to be done and when. After that, the structure can be a bit more loose as the newbies have actual experience with the game and how it resolves, but the first game is still exciting for both the newbies and the experienced players because it's a fully featured game.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Do you have experienced gamers at the table?

NO: Just use the provided tutorial and be patient with when to include the harder cards.

YES: It's not that big of a deal, just go with a rushed version of the tutorial routine, where your second game is the full one. Even then, the split is mostly to have the rules dump shorter (= less boring) and the inevitable first-game dumb misplays over with quicker. Though in cases where I has just one-two people to teach, I threw them into the deep end to waste less time and it worked fine.

The issue isn't really with the game being particularly complex of difficult to understand, but rather how frontloaded the explanations are. Apart from some people for whom real-time games are just kryptonite and it cannot be helped, there's a big competence gap between different teams based solely on their ability/experience in absorbing game rulebooks.

PS. Always make the most inexperienced and/or timid person the captain. Always.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

And always make sure that, whatever they might have done, they understand that, as Captain, they are responsible for both victory and defeat. Also give them all of the threats you dealt with as trophies.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Ugh that reminds me that I bought the Space Alert expansion, integrated it with the core game box, then literally have never played the game since.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Another game in the "who cares if I lost, I enjoyed building my thing" genre is Castles of Mad King Ludwig.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jordan7hm posted:

You thought Ex Libria was too cutthroat? My one play just felt random. That’s one of the few games I’ve played where I just have no interest in giving it a second chance.

Well, depends on the librarians in the game mostly, I suppose. If it's all people like the wizard, the bookworm, the ghost, and so on, that's one thing, but if you have things like the snowman aggressively freezing people out of things, the fire imp torching places others would also be interested in, and the goblin thief stealing from one or more people a turn, then it can get rather mean.

Root question again, meanwhile. I might have just missed it, but is there a rule regarding whether cards people hand over, like for sympathy or aid, are passed face-up or face-down? Is it something like them always being secret to players other than the one receiving them if it doesn't say "reveal", or...?

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Barenpark is perfect for you here. It's light, it's structurally impossible to actually get slaughter assuming reasonable play. Like 108-90 is, contextually, getting absolutely destroyed but doesn't feel bad.

It's also basically the opposite of cut throat, particularly if you curate the object tiles of play with 3 players.

Thanks much. I'll take a look.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lichtenstein posted:

Do you have experienced gamers at the table?
Generally experienced yes, experienced in Space Alert no (2 of the group of 4-5 have played once).

quote:

rushed version of the tutorial routine, where your second game is the full one.
So which stages do I skip? I assume it's not applicable anyway, since it probably relies on one experienced player being able to overcome rule holes/fuckups.

quote:

Sounds like a recipe for a total clusterfuck. Will do.
(also, the least competent man being in charge fits the theme of an Eastern European game)

Morpheus posted:

Ugh that reminds me that I bought the Space Alert expansion, integrated it with the core game box, then literally have never played the game since.
I have the expansion. After reading through both rules, I said gently caress it, the expansion stays unopened until needed.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Yeah, expansion is for people with some basic competency in game (not necessarily winrate - but it's extra rules to explain on gimmick threats, etc.).

Pierzak posted:

So which stages do I skip? I assume it's not applicable anyway, since it probably relies on one experienced player being able to overcome rule holes/fuckups.

I don't remember it off the top of my head, but the last and second to last missions had some ridiculously low amount of differences between them. I generally go with:
- half the action board and open cards
- no C button poo poo
- external threats only
for the first game and then add everything else in the second one. I check the tutorial guide each time to remember which computer commands don't have to be explained the first time.

The cards thing is to correct folks over dumb misundersanding, even mid-game - 99% of the time someone somehow happens to get the core card mechanic wrong. Other stuff is delayed so that the trial game can be knocked out asap, so everything is introduced in context of seeing how the core mechanics work.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

My friends are trying to figure out what the real world idiealogical foils are to the Root critters and I can't find the effortpost that had them figured out so well.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Barenpark is perfect for you here. It's light, it's structurally impossible to actually get slaughter assuming reasonable play. Like 108-90 is, contextually, getting absolutely destroyed but doesn't feel bad.

It's also basically the opposite of cut throat, particularly if you curate the object tiles of play with 3 players.

I agree with this, but I think it's between print runs because it's currently like $50 on amazon and out of stock on CSI/MM

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

djfooboo posted:

My friends are trying to figure out what the real world idiealogical foils are to the Root critters and I can't find the effortpost that had them figured out so well.

I think that conversation started around my post here:

Fellis posted:

For root factions I see them as:

Cats: Local Despot/Current Ruler with infrastructure —pretty easy comparison

Birds: wealthy Imperialist/Invading force with some sort of distant command structure/crazy leader — very powerful and can take many actions, but only start with a small beachhead of territory. As they push, their decree gets increasingly complicated, representing the difficulty of faraway command/conflicting orders, till they quagmire and reorganize

Woodland Alliance: Local guerilla forces —another pretty easy comparison

Vagabond: Intelligence Agency/Special Forces — has their own objective and can easily get around/go to ground. Allies/aids various factions till the inevitable betrayal. Even makes sense if there are two running around.

Lizards: Religious zealots, ISIS as Bottom Liner said — they’re cultists man

Otter Company: PMC/Mercenaries — another easy comparison

I have no idea what they are actually supposed to be, but those make sense to me

This is the gist of it, although most people switch the cats and the birds because of the chaotic nature of local despotic leadership and the obvious oil lumber-mongering of the cats

Fellis fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 28, 2018

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Space Alert whips rear end

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lichtenstein posted:

- no C button poo poo

except for the mouse, right?

and the window, that's *essential*

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

djfooboo posted:

Cole talks about the correlation between Root factions and real-world ideologies in his diary post about the Lizards:

"With the other factions, I did my best to avoid coding each with a specific ideology. This is was partly because of my own position that ideology ultimately grows after material or geopolitical circumstance. (I'll stop myself here from going into a very very very long embedded essay about why that is and what precisely I mean by that statement.) Suffice to say, you can play the Alliance as Marxists or Anarchists or small “r” republicans. They could be extreme or moderate in position. Players were welcome to project their own political feelings on to any faction.

But, with the Druids, I wanted to remove some of that freedom. I imagined the new faction as a highly ideologically bound and extremist political unit. This line of thinking lead me to look at a lot of games and a lot of history that I hadn't really considered with respect to Root. I reread the rules to Ed Beach's still magisterial Here I Stand and Virgin Queen, paying particular attention to how the games treat religion and its political vectors. I watched a handful of Frontline documentaries about religious extremism and read some academic articles about how the emergent Isis state was formed and how it functioned. After a few weeks, I had a pretty good idea of how I might graft a politically ambitious cult onto the game's engine.

Here, a little reminder is in order. In the game, the deck of cards represents the actual creatures who live in the forests and clearings of the game. When you have cards in your hand, it represents the loyalty of a group of those creatures. The hand management game then is really about coalition management. All of the different factions use their hands in different ways, which allowed me to fold a lot of cute political concerns into the play of factions. This was always an element of the theme which tends to be lost by players in their first few plays but nonetheless finds ways of creeping into how they think through their problems. My kingdom for a few good foxes!"

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/28721434#28721434

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

Slimy Hog posted:

I agree with this, but I think it's between print runs because it's currently like $50 on amazon and out of stock on CSI/MM

Yeah once Barenpark gets a reprint it's going directly into my collection.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
they made a ccg about catholic saints but its only in german:

http://saintscardgame.de/

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The expansion content are a bit more outlandish. The lizard cult reminded me most of the black goat faction from Cthulhu Wars. I can't match them onto anything much less fantastical than that.

discount cathouse posted:

they made a ccg about catholic saints but its only in german:

http://saintscardgame.de/

Reminds me of Junior Soprano wondering why no one ever traded Saint cards like baseball cards.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 28, 2018

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

silvergoose posted:

except for the mouse, right?

and the window, that's *essential*

Oh, yeah, the mouse stays for sure.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Started our first game of Root. Seems solid.

We were worried that this was going to be too much like Vast. I think Vast had a few levels of problems, but the biggest problem to start was that the game state was so unclear. Unless you had played Goblin, you had very little idea whether the Goblin was doing well or not. The core area control game of Root is much clearer, and the core factions share enough mechanics that evaluating other people's options is reasonably intuitive; you only have to watch, say, the Eyrie Decree play out once before you get an idea of what they're doing. While our strategies aren't going to be great in game one obviously, I feel like everyone at least knows what they're doing, and has some way to evaluate how other players' plans are progressing. The game still clearly relies on politics for balancing (which isn't my favorite), but at least Root equips players reasonably to make these political decisions.

The other games Root gets compared to are the COIN series - but while there's some common elements, the games really aren't in the same space. Root is a simple game that you can just start playing: we're well into our first game, including teaching, within a single lunch hour. When we played our first COIN (A Distant Plain), it required a tremendous rules dump to get people started, and we were a couple hours in before things started to click and people started having anything like "regular" turns. Even then, it felt very difficult to evaluate everyone's position - and lots of times people just kind of threw up their hands and did "something" because they didn't want to take the time to evaluate the merits of another narrow event or option. The COIN games are big, messy, flavorful experiences - Root loses some of that thematic flavor (though the art and theme is very pleasant) and probably depth, but is much simpler, clearer, and more accessible.

I don't know how it will hold up to multiple plays, but we're definitely liking it so far.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 28, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

dropkickpikachu posted:

Yeah once Barenpark gets a reprint it's going directly into my collection.

It should be at Spiel again, along with Gingerbread House.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I've played Root twice, both times as Vagabond, won both times. One of the guys I was playing with started talking about whether Vagabond was OP after the first game, then starting going again after the second. Is Vagabond OP? Is my tiny murderhobo the real shadowy ruling figure of the forest? Or is this small sample size and my playgroup is whiners. first game was a 3 person game of birds, cats, and vagabond, next game was a 5 person game with Cultists, revolutionaries, birds, otters, and the vagabond.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Zodiac5000 posted:

I've played Root twice, both times as Vagabond, won both times. One of the guys I was playing with started talking about whether Vagabond was OP after the first game, then starting going again after the second. Is Vagabond OP? Is my tiny murderhobo the real shadowy ruling figure of the forest? Or is this small sample size and my playgroup is whiners. first game was a 3 person game of birds, cats, and vagabond, next game was a 5 person game with Cultists, revolutionaries, birds, otters, and the vagabond.

He is the easiest to set back if other players try to stop him, but as we've had a lot of discussion, it's hard for people to see that as valuable if it doesn't directly give them points. For what it's worth I'm close to 15 plays and I have seen every faction win and every faction but the Lizards run away with the game when things line up or people don't check them.

My favorites to play are Riverfolk and Vagabond. Riverfolk for their economic bartering driven stuff and Vagabond for the variety of characters and freedom in how they interact with the game.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Zodiac5000 posted:

vagabond isn't op. if other people are playing their faction well the vagabond shouldn't even be first to start closing in on 30 in a pure race. They're probably feeding you too many items.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Remember, if one guy feeds Mr. Bond the feeding guy has an advantage. If everyone feeds Mr. Bond then Mr. Bond has the advantage.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I'll second The Castles of Mad King Ludwig. That game owns, and everyone gets a castle at the end. Sometimes I'll take a picture of people's castles, and use them as the layout for an rpg dungeon.

Another good one to look at is Steampunk Rally. It's really thematic, since the engine you're building is literally your car's engine.

EBag
May 18, 2006

On the 'chill but strategic' games I'd say Great Western Trail. It's got a decent amount of stuff going on but the game only gives you a few things you can do at a given time and really none of them are bad, it's the kind of game that it's hard to do poorly in but if you have a plan you can do very well.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Each crafted item gives the vagabond another action and that ramps up far quicker than the 1-3 cards he gives you in exchange. If everyone is crafting like madmen in the opening rounds for a paltry sum of points then vagabond can just do quests or coast on aid for the rest of the game.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

al-azad posted:

Each crafted item gives the vagabond another action and that ramps up far quicker than the 1-3 cards he gives you in exchange. If everyone is crafting like madmen in the opening rounds for a paltry sum of points then vagabond can just do quests or coast on aid for the rest of the game.

He only ever gives one card in exchange for an item. The aid action is exhaust an item, give a card, get an item. You just have to do it multiple times after the first one to go up a rank and get vp's for it.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008
Did I accidentally pre-order Root from the Leder Games site instead of buy it outright? I could have sworn it said shipping now on the game's store page. I think it's been in pre-shipment for about two and a half weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

The most recent Humble Bundle is for digital tabletop games, so I have some steam versions of board games that I don't want. Adding some ?'s for good measure.

Mysterium:
4GF0C-PB49D-BWKQ?

? = last letter again

Ticket to Ride (complete bundle):
4D?CA-W785?-CDEKV

? = letter from Mysterium

Carcasone
3JI?X-VGJ?6-5X7RY

? = Same letter as before

Please let me know if you take one.