Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Flesh Forge posted:

The real question is, why were their names not MORE bullshit, because they were all rando preteens when they got their powers, you know a lot of them would be like CALL ME rear end MASTER or ARR MATEY IM THE BUTT PIRATE or KING OF URANUS

and those are the ones who got horrible killed by the Conspiracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

this broken hill posted:

why did the superheroes all choose such bullshit names anyway, was nobody advising them? i'd call myself nebuchadnezzar and make people try to spell it before i killed them

To be fair, the villains didn't have government sponsors so of course they picked the most appropriate names a 12-14yo mind can conceive. Not like the government sponsors did much good for the heroes either.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Brought To You By posted:

To be fair, the villains didn't have government sponsors so of course they picked the most appropriate names a 12-14yo mind can conceive. Not like the government sponsors did much good for the heroes either.

I dunno, I think if I was a kid who suddenly got superpowers in a world where comic books existed simultaneously I'm sure as hell gonna pick a better name than "Cleaver". It feels like they were the first names the author thought of and he just didn't bother to change them by the time the character showed up.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Yeah we should at least have some dirty puns in there, a la Clockblocker from Worm. (Who freezes time for 2-10 seconds for objects and people he touches and chooses to use his power on, making them indestructible for that period of frozen time as a side-effect.)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Molly Ostertag has been nominated for an Ignatz award!

For something else, of course

https://twitter.com/MollyOstertag/status/1034143706796847104

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
seems like a lot of work for basically what amounts to "boom headshot" :smug:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

No idea how the book is, but what a poo poo title.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

way to spoil your book

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Y'all I think that's genuinely unfair. Bear in mind the SFP writer isn't involved with it, and Ostertag cares, so it could very well be entirely competent.

If nothing else it's going to be shorter and have a point.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Seconding that, I mean you’re literally judging a book by its cover. Plus it being a self-contained story you probably won’t find poo poo like in today’s page of SFP where the villain is still monologuing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I bought it because I have poor impulse control when it comes to indy one-shot comics.

It's good. Really good, actually. Almost entirely unlike SFP in its writing, and the art clearly is things Molly wants to draw so there's no crappy half-finished poo poo.

The sale is over, so it's $5 again, sadly. It's a bit of a quick read for $5 - I blazed through it in about 5 minutes - but I still recommend it.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Theres a new page in the sense that the image is different but the story hasn't moved

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Wouldn't you like to see Clevin again? Not eyeing every gradient background, wondering if Clevin is making pasta? Not screaming inside, knowing that you will never be as soft as him. Not having to watch this horrible scene for another month?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

... Wasn't this guy an actor that Patrick hired and not an actual CEO? Am I mistaken? Has he been trying to play actual CEO now that Patrick has disappeared? That seems... Dumb. Unless I'm missing something and this is a different guy.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I'm not ane xpert on writing but I feel like the beginning of the last chapter of a thing is not a great time narratively to dump in a bunch of characters and a setting we've never seen just to set up what will presumably be the boss battle but also be concerning a bunch of characters and setting you just introduced at the beginning of the last chapter

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

That's because SFP is subverting tropes and sticking it to the status quo of writing

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

patric absolutely should be pretty dangerous what with being a perfect mindreader or w/e, but otoh we have the lord boy saga, so i guess the illuminati probably has a fair chance

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Crimpolioni posted:

patric absolutely should be pretty dangerous what with being a perfect mindreader or w/e,

Edit: Ok I'm dumb this was actually explained on page 101 of the previous arc. Ignore me.

OK here's another thing I don't get. So, Menace says he never actually controlled anyone's minds, he just could read them perfectly. How, exactly, does that translate to being able to control people's minds? Like, "Wow, you can tell me exactly what I'm thinking, cool party trick. Now I must do whatever you tell me to." What's the logic there? It seemed like the way it was explained was, "everyone thought I could control people so I let them think that." Which is shaky at best.

I get him being able to control minds NOW (I think?), because everyone's powers inexplicably got better as part of the plot, but he ran a criminal network for years BEFORE that predicated on the idea he could control minds. I feel like there's a thread I missed or something.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 28, 2018

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

OK here's another thing I don't get. So, Menace says he never actually controlled anyone's minds, he just could read them perfectly. How, exactly, does that translate to being able to control people's minds? Like, "Wow, you can tell me exactly what I'm thinking, cool party trick. Now I must do whatever you tell me to." What's the logic there? It seemed like the way it was explained was, "everyone thought I could control people so I let them think that." Which is shaky at best.

I get him being able to control minds NOW (I think?), because everyone's powers inexplicably got better as part of the plot, but he ran a criminal network for years BEFORE that predicated on the idea he could control minds. I feel like there's a thread I missed or something.

that's one thing that did make sense to me, and im disapointed he turned out to actually have mind control. if you could read someone so instinctivly you could basically model their behavior in real time, then you'd basically be able to convince them of anything it was possible to convince them of

Edit: Too late!

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Crimpolioni posted:

that's one thing that did make sense to me, and im disapointed he turned out to actually have mind control.

It's one of the more astoundingly boneheaded things in this comic.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I agree with this, he was more interesting (although he still didn't make sense) when he was "just" as passive mind reader. Full blown Professor X telepathy is basically "how will the writer contrive this so Patrick doesn't just pave over everyone's brains with a smooth layer of pastel gradient"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

At the beginning of the last arc I was interested in Patrick's story because I was curious to see how everyone's powers increasing had affected him. After dozens of pages of mindscape I don't loving want to hear about him ever again but apparently this is now the Patrick comic with every arc about how powerful and dangerous Patrick is

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Uncle Wemus posted:

That's because SFP is subverting tropes and sticking it to the status quo of writing

It was pretty bold to subvert the cliche of having an antagonist that interacted with the protagonist once ever in the 7 chapters before the finale. I wonder if Allison will ever actually confront Solidus or just send him a strongly worded text.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

This comic would be 100% redeemed if in the next few pages Patrick gets loving assassinated, rendering the entire last chapter meaningless.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I bought it because I have poor impulse control when it comes to indy one-shot comics.

It's good. Really good, actually. Almost entirely unlike SFP in its writing, and the art clearly is things Molly wants to draw so there's no crappy half-finished poo poo.

The sale is over, so it's $5 again, sadly. It's a bit of a quick read for $5 - I blazed through it in about 5 minutes - but I still recommend it.

"I abused my ex-husband so bad I scarred his face. Now he's mean to me and my furry girlfriend." :,(

Still, from a storytelling perspective that was miles above anything SFP has accomplished.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I don't know why people keep popping in to declare Molly Ostertag is a talented person with good taste enslaved in some kind of bizarre genie pact to make bad comics by the evil man solely responsible for everything bad about them, including the art, but I assume it's the same ineffable force that compelled that guy to make his superhero comic be about a girl who looks exactly like her dating a guy who talks exactly like him

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I don't know why people keep popping in to declare Molly Ostertag is a talented person with good taste enslaved in some kind of bizarre genie pact to make bad comics by the evil man solely responsible for everything bad about them, including the art
I don't think anyone has said, will say, or is saying that

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

I don't know why people keep popping in to declare Molly Ostertag is a talented person with good taste enslaved in some kind of bizarre genie pact to make bad comics by the evil man solely responsible for everything bad about them, including the art, but I assume it's the same ineffable force that compelled that guy to make his superhero comic be about a girl who looks exactly like her dating a guy who talks exactly like him

Nah dude the art's just not that bad. It's okay for a bad thing to not be 100% bad.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Typical Pubbie posted:

"I abused my ex-husband so bad I scarred his face. Now he's mean to me and my furry girlfriend." :,(

What? Which of the characters is Clevin in the scenario?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Paladinus posted:

What? Which of the characters is Clevin in the scenario?

The husband is a softboi who stays home all day making stew and honeyed milk for the protagonist, who is the author insert.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Rotten Red Rod posted:

At the beginning of the last arc I was interested in Patrick's story because I was curious to see how everyone's powers increasing had affected him. After dozens of pages of mindscape I don't loving want to hear about him ever again but apparently this is now the Patrick comic with every arc about how powerful and dangerous Patrick is

I have good news friend, this is the last arc the comic is going to have.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Elephant Parade posted:

I don't think anyone has said, will say, or is saying that
i did, and i meant every word. i believe mulligan has ostertag enslaved through some sort of blackmail or possibly even paranormal means and is forcing her to act out his dread will upon the public

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
he is a legitimate sorceror who is going to kill us all and i hate him with my life

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
on the first day of winter, mulligan will imprison ostertag, aaron diaz and lowtax in a forgotten nuclear bunker in colorado. at gunpoint he will force ostertag to dance the dance of endless passages, and then together she and diaz will sacrifice lowtax and eat his flesh. what follows cannot be written or even imagined. clouds gather over the bay of bengal. snow falls in vegas. the transformation is upon them, and upon us all

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The art isn't bad so much as it's just like, incredibly soft and bland.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

way to spoil your book

Clearly Molly was inspired by Inuyasha episode title cards while growing up.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I can't decide if this last part of the comic is going to be 30 pages or 30,000.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

clarvin

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Discendo Vox posted:

I can't decide if this last part of the comic is going to be 30 pages or 30,000.

30 pages of story smeared across 30,000 pages of pastel poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Zerilan posted:

The art isn't bad so much as it's just like, incredibly soft and bland.

• Locked thread