Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bholder posted:

He really likes Darth Vader

Darth Vader was a real person. He’s the guy who killed the Satan-Emperor.

He’s the Christ of the Star Wars story. Kylo is a Christian crusader type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Luke used to be a huge Anakin fan, but turned into an angry bitter fanboy when he found out the truth.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Your entire ‘metacommentary’ is then based on the bizarre premise that real-world children watched Star Wars and grew horribly depressed because Luke Skywalker isn’t their real-world biological father.

And then, you believe Luke Skywalker atones - for the crime of not loving your mother IRL - by killing himself. And this is the moral of the story.

Can you prove this isn't the case?

And your second point is getting a little too freudian for me. How do you completely vere away from what people are talking about so easily?

They're atoning for old world thinking, ie old school jedi training, emotional isolation of children. The commentary is on passing on to a new generation. Rose's character is a "healthy" fangirl, someone who knows the canon, but also isn't afraid to call bulllshit on it. At the beginning, Rey sees herself as at most a Lando, someone with certain skills who can help, but she doesn't dream of being the lead until everyone else, including kylo the faux revolutionary, keep loving up. Its why she drops kylo in the end, he claims to be different but is restarting the cycle all over.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Kylo Ren isn't a Star Wars fan. There's no Star Wars franchise that exists within the world of the story for him to be a fan of.

You two should have a watch party. Rabbit is pretty good.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

bushisms.txt posted:

You two should have a watch party. Rabbit is pretty good.

Your evidence for a character being a fan of a hypothetical pop culture franchise within the world of Star Wars is... someone modelling a toy after a space pilot?

Like, if someone had a toy soldier, they'd be a Sharpe fan?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

And now you're saying fandom requires purchasing of official merchandise. You'd fit right in at gamefaqs.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

bushisms.txt posted:

Can you prove this isn't the case?

lol

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

bushisms.txt posted:

And now you're saying fandom requires purchasing of official merchandise. You'd fit right in at gamefaqs.

You seem to be very confused. You're claiming that a doll modelled after a space pilot is evidence that Star Wars is a set of movies within the Star Wars universe, because it's official merchandise.

A doll that someone appears to have cobbled together in their spare time, out of random trash they had at hand.

I think you just might be a bit dumb.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I think you just might be a bit dumb.

Same.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The “Battle of Yavin” in A New Hope is based on the UK’s Operation Chastise in World War II. Rey is playing with a homemade action figure of, essentially, an RAF pilot.

RAF pilots are mundanely real to Rey. This is a contrast to Han Solo (the legendary smuggler, who Rey believes in), and also a contrast to Luke Skywalker (the psychic-powered son of Christ who fought and won a cosmic battle against the abstract concept of evil and then mysteriously vanished, which Rey considers bullshit).

Likewise, Jyn Erso isn’t playing with a doll of a legendary Stormtrooper. It’s just a toy cop. Cops exist.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1034499819799080960

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Finally, a new trilogy alien that doesn't just look like a man with a turd for a head

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Just what the film needed, more characters

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Since they cancelled the anthology movies, they're probably reset the Star Wars Extended Cinematic Universe with hot new spin-off-ready characters. Of course they hoped they'd be getting sequels to Solo as well and we saw how that turned out.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Wheat Loaf posted:

The opening crawl says "taxation of trade routes" rather than taxes on Trade Federation profits or the incomes of its directors so it is a question of free trade versus protectionist tariffs; obviously, the Republic were basically trying to put up a wall around the Core planets - i.e. the rich, human-majority parts of the galaxy - and making the Outer Rim pay for it.

A big corporation doesn't want to pay taxes that would lower its profit margins? Perish the thought, it must surely be noble intentions that caused them to brutally invade an unrelated planet and put its people in concentration camps. Literally nothing in the movies implies the Separatists are not Core Worlders themselves or supporters Outer Rim rights. The Republic is chock full of powerful aliens, Palpatine's right hand man is an alien, the Jedi council has only one non-alien member. Both Tatooine and Coruscant have similar human demographics and couldn't be farther away from each other. There is nothing to suggest that Humans are focused in any particular region at all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

galagazombie posted:

A big corporation doesn't want to pay taxes that would lower its profit margins? Perish the thought, it must surely be noble intentions that caused them to brutally invade an unrelated planet and put its people in concentration camps.

They were just helping to liberate the Gungans from their human oppressors.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I always wondered about the Gungans. They and the Naboo obviously have bad blood and are initially ready to throw each other to the wolves, but Obi-Wan implies they have some kind of "Symbiotic Relationship" that belies their apparent segregation. Are the Naboo buying those explosive goo balls on the sly? Are the Gungans running a black market in Chrome plating and Mediterranean Villas?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

galagazombie posted:

I always wondered about the Gungans. They and the Naboo obviously have bad blood and are initially ready to throw each other to the wolves, but Obi-Wan implies they have some kind of "Symbiotic Relationship" that belies their apparent segregation. Are the Naboo buying those explosive goo balls on the sly? Are the Gungans running a black market in Chrome plating and Mediterranean Villas?

That's Obi-Wan citing a fundamental truth—all people are interconnected and depend on each other—but misunderstanding it. So he's right that the Gungans and the Naboo can work together to fight off oppression, but he thinks if the colonized people would just act more polite and respectable, then the colonizers would accept them and the problem would be solved.

For an example of this kind of thing in real life, consider the moderate moralists who've insisted for centuries that black people in the US would get ahead if they would just respect the police, adopt white culture, act grateful toward their betters, and never do anything violent or radical.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Zoran posted:

That's Obi-Wan citing a fundamental truth—all people are interconnected and depend on each other—but misunderstanding it. So he's right that the Gungans and the Naboo can work together to fight off oppression, but he thinks if the colonized people would just act more polite and respectable, then the colonizers would accept them and the problem would be solved.

For an example of this kind of thing in real life, consider the moderate moralists who've insisted for centuries that black people in the US would get ahead if they would just respect the police, adopt white culture, act grateful toward their betters, and never do anything violent or radical.

Based on what we see, the Gungans are richer, smarter, and more numerous than the Naboos.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

God I can already see the insufferable geek humor poo poo posts.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
why do they keep adding characters?? the cast is already unwieldy as it is!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Just have him play the Doctor. Do it, Disney. You cowards. *slaps Disney for cowardice*

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I might end up seeing Episode IX if TR-8R comes back lol

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Star wars is dying, cloud

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
With that head he really oughta play Darth Plagueis.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Question Friend posted:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

is it though? i've got plenty of problems with the sequels so far but the cast isn't all that bloated, especially now with all the OT big names gone

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

porfiria posted:

Based on what we see, the Gungans are richer, smarter, and more numerous than the Naboos.

They've literally been driven into the sea.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

That you think of Rian Johnson as your father explains a lot.

at least Rian was there for me ok

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm honestly shocked that this wasn't posted yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f83D18xL7VE

bushisms.txt posted:

Both her and kylo hold on to totems of the OT, and kylo is mad hes not the badass he's "supposed to be"(just ask the "hardcore"fans) despite following all the guidelines an uber nerd of the canon has given him.

Have you actually watched the movies yet?

your problem is taking SMG as anything other than a crazy person

Preston Waters fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 29, 2018

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Hard to criticize JJ on this one, the new characters who were introduced in return of the jedi really made the film

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

No Mods No Masters posted:

Hard to criticize JJ on this one, the new characters who were introduced in return of the jedi really made the film

The Emperor kinda did.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Maarak posted:

They've literally been driven into the sea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC_mV1IpjWA

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Question Friend posted:

I like how for the internet a no name stormtrooper managed to become the new Boba Fett (a character people latched on to despite having no real role or presence in the story thanks to a single line of dialog).

No Mods No Masters posted:

Ewoks were pretty awesome.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

They might as well - it's not like anybody's actually going to see the movie.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

When you've lost mr plinkett, you've lost middle america

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Again, far more people disliked Last Jedi than liked it, so nobody's terribly excited about Episode IX.

Wren610
Oct 25, 2010
Uhmm people arguing about Rey's parents awhile back. Keep in mind there's a very decent chance JJ retcon's Rian's retcon of JJ on that one. Heck who knows how much of Rian's stuff could get retconned by JJ.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Wheat Loaf posted:

They might as well - it's not like anybody's actually going to see the movie.

literally no one wanted a Han Solo origin story.

Most people are still into the main films. In fact I'd say most folks that I know irl liked TLJ way more than TFA. Pretty much the only backlash I've come across w/ TLJ has been online and is in my experience a vocal minority. The only exception to this is one dude who I know absolutely can not get over the fact that Lucasfilm did away with the EU. And even then he dislikes TFA more than TLJ because it was a remake.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
TLJ is forgettable more than anything else. I'm a big fat star wars idiot and i think more about films like snowpiercer and elysium than i do it (let alone something that's actually hit the public consciousness like thor: ragnarok)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
I think we're well beyond a Star Wars movie ever being "groundbreaking" again. Some fans don't understand this and were expecting another Empire Strikes Back, which just isn't going to happen and it's an impossible bar to meet. But saying it's forgettable is kind of funny to me. I think it's much less so compared to TFA for several reasons, but first and foremost because there was literally no way Luke Skywalker could just fix everything by using his unmatched Force powers or whatever -- so he did the next best thing: save his friends and keep hope alive. And in doing so he inspired future generations on a galactic scale. How is that forgettable? Seems the opposite to me.

Also this Plinkett review is the first one that has struck me as trying too hard. I mean even the last one pretty much relied on complaints about the fact that Disney can do whatever they want with Star Wars instead of actually breaking down the film itself. Seems like Mike isn't putting as much time in to deconstruct these movies. He has truly become what he lamented in the prequel reviews.