Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mr. Locke posted:

Looks like Convoke is back. I wonder if we’re gonna each guild might see a new and an old mechanic or if we’re gonna stick to one per.

I could see Izzet getting either of their old keywords but I’d place more money on Replicate then Overload due to design space. I figure they’re less likely to get a new keyword then the others since they have two that can potentially be good without being broken.

Dimir is either getting a new keyword or stealing another from elsewhere. If they want to stick to a version of a Dimir that still focuses on Discard and Mill, maybe one related to a card entering the graveyard from a zone besides the battlefield. Or maybe just use some of the technology they’ve developed since then to let Dimir pull a psuedo-Madness on cards they mill/discard from an opponent.

Boros... is probably getting something new, but I can see Battalion coming back too. If the guilds can steal mechanics from other sets, 100% Boros is getting Dash. Other then that... *shrug*. I dunno.

Golgari will get Scavenge almost entirely because at this point WotC probably can’t trust themselves to make a new graveyard mechanic that isn’t broke as poo poo. Or maybe Flashback or Threshold. Definitely gonna probably be something ‘safe’ here.

Threshold would be pretty sweet.

number one pta fan posted:

I read this a couple of weeks ago speculating about what Izzet might pick up next expansion.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/storm-scale-ravnica-and-return-ravnica-2016-05-02

Summary:
Convoke (WG), Detain (WU), and Bloodthirst (RG) at 3.
Unleash (BR), Scavenge (BG), and Battalion (WR) at 4.
Hellbent (BR), Populate (WG), Evolve (UG), and Replicate (UR) at 5.
Bloodrush (RG), Extort (WB), and Overload (UR) at 6.
Forecast (WU) and Graft (UG), at 8.
Transmute (UB), Cipher (UB), Haunt (WB), and Radiance (WR) at 9.
Dredge (BG) at 10.

So many mechanics!

How is Graft an 8? It is simple and not nearly overpowered enough. And would probably go great with all the Merfolk counter shenanigans from Ixalan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Threshold owns and I don't understand why it's so high on the Storm scale in that article. Feelbads from having threshold and then losing it in some way? Keeping track of whether or not it's active? Issues with how easy it is to fill your graveyard these days?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Feels like you could mix threshold and dredge into something where a card gets the benefit from "threshold" but the cards have to get exiled. When this reaches threshold, you may exile that many cards from the graveyard and thing happens.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

AlternateNu posted:

How is Graft an 8? It is simple and not nearly overpowered enough. And would probably go great with all the Merfolk counter shenanigans from Ixalan.
Design space limits maybe?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

uggy posted:

Feels like you could mix threshold and dredge into something where a card gets the benefit from "threshold" but the cards have to get exiled. When this reaches threshold, you may exile that many cards from the graveyard and thing happens.

...delve?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

AlternateNu posted:

Forces you to click NO every time an opponent's creature enters play on digital media.

C-Euro posted:

Threshold owns and I don't understand why it's so high on the Storm scale in that article. Feelbads from having threshold and then losing it in some way? Keeping track of whether or not it's active? Issues with how easy it is to fill your graveyard these days?

Constant counting of graveyards, static abilities shutting on and off as cards leave.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Bring back Buyback and Delirium, tia wotc

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
We better get some split cards in these sets!

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
Is there a better UK buylist than https://www.themagiccardtrader.com Specifically for marginal Modern cards.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vanq_Wu1GKc

There are some insanely bad takes in this

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

iirc sometimes scores go higher on the "not happening again" scale if they weren't popular or had narrow design space too

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mr. Locke posted:

Dimir is either getting a new keyword or stealing another from elsewhere. If they want to stick to a version of a Dimir that still focuses on Discard and Mill, maybe one related to a card entering the graveyard from a zone besides the battlefield. Or maybe just use some of the technology they’ve developed since then to let Dimir pull a psuedo-Madness on cards they mill/discard from an opponent.

Could Delirium be worded to look at an opponent's graveyard rather than just your own? That would go great with a guild that wants to lean on mill and discard, and the name even fits with Dimir from a flavor standpoint. Might be too soon after SOI block though.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Gruul (or maybe Rakdos) should get Frenzy

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Could Delirium be worded to look at an opponent's graveyard rather than just your own? That would go great with a guild that wants to lean on mill and discard, and the name even fits with Dimir from a flavor standpoint. Might be too soon after SOI block though.

It could, but a Delirium that’s require types in your OPPONENT’s graveyard is probably untenable since you can’t control what’s in your opponent’s deck. It’d have to be a mechanic that’d care about doing something with the card removed if you want a mechanic that uses it’s opponent’s ‘secrets’ against them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

Constant counting of graveyards, static abilities shutting on and off as cards leave.

and yet delirium (and emrakul)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Tainen posted:

Guilds Buy a Box promo

Convoke, Indestructible

Looks like Ral Zarek on the middle booster.

So I'm guessing Convoke is coming back as the Selesnya mechanic for RtRtR then?
Guess they gave up on coming up with all new mechanics for each guild each time. Probably for the best since I'd bet they were running out of good ideas. I mean last time we had stuff like Overload which was basically just a tweaked version of Replicate anyway. At this point they might as well just pick some ones that they know are popular and play well. I hope there's still a few new ones in the mix though.

I wonder if they'll reprint Triplicate Spirits for limited? They probably will, but at Uncommon.

e: gently caress, that's not going to be another BAB-only promo is it? That thing's gonna be expensive.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mr. Locke posted:

It could, but a Delirium that’s require types in your OPPONENT’s graveyard is probably untenable since you can’t control what’s in your opponent’s deck. It’d have to be a mechanic that’d care about doing something with the card removed if you want a mechanic that uses it’s opponent’s ‘secrets’ against them.

Maybe something based on the number of cards the opponent has in hand? No synergy with mill but I think it could work thematically. Although blue can't cause enemy discard on its own.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

No, because that would punish the other player for playing spells and they're not willing to do that

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Rinkles posted:

and yet delirium (and emrakul)

delirum is 7 (i guess because it's easier to count to 4 than 7??)

BizarroAzrael posted:

Maybe something based on the number of cards the opponent has in hand? No synergy with mill but I think it could work thematically. Although blue can't cause enemy discard on its own.

hand size matters was a thing in Saviors of Kamigawa and it fuckin suuuuuuuucked.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

delirum is 7 (i guess because it's easier to count to 4 than 7??)

having to sort through cards (not just count) and remember types ends up making it about as complex if not more

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Lone Goat posted:

hand size matters was a thing in Saviors of Kamigawa and it fuckin suuuuuuuucked.

I have no earthly idea how anyone ever okayed Sweep as a mechanic.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kalli posted:

I have no earthly idea how anyone ever okayed Sweep as a mechanic.

"Is there any chance this will ruin the game like affinity did? Zero? Great, print it"

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
The wiki has links about it and it seems like most of the time when there's like a puzzling one it's just because the mechanic wasn't very popular

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
They could give skulk another chance for Dimir. They already had on hit player synergy with cipher so it could make sense.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I’m just excited for Hybrid Mana to presumably come back. I love hybrid.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

AlternateNu posted:

Threshold would be pretty sweet.

It’s really annoying in digital because it makes a million triggers happen, apparently.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Eschatos posted:

They could give skulk another chance for Dimir. They already had on hit player synergy with cipher so it could make sense.

It would work, but it would be a really unexciting choice, in a guild that really hasn't had a good mechanic. At the end of the day, skulk is just an evasion ability that's kind of restrictive about what bodies it actually does anything on. It only becomes interesting on creatures with saboteur effects, and there's only so many of those they can make.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

might be my favorite karsten article

What if the 4-Card Limit Was Abolished in Modern?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Eschatos posted:

I thought I was the only one who liked skulk. I thought it would end up being an evergreen mechanic for dimir like menace ended up being for gruul.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I'm assuming the very first sentence of the article has to be "Obviously, Chancellor of the Dross is immediately banned", right?

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Entropic posted:

I'm assuming the very first sentence of the article has to be "Obviously, Chancellor of the Dross is immediately banned", right?

Nope, it's the first deck given, and then he starts brewing to beat it.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Without reading the article yet, Surging flame + Simian Spirit Guide?

edit - yes, but he found a deck that beats it.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 29, 2018

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bugsy posted:

Without reading the article yet, Surging flame + Simian Spirit Guide?

Ruined by leyline of sanctuary. The meta is strong!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Man, that article is great.

That's a great way to explore the concept of metagaming.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Kalli posted:

Ruined by leyline of sanctuary. The meta is strong!

Each opponent, not target. It actually loses to mana + Trickbind though. Or Lightning Helix, Healing Salve, Nourishing Shoal, anything that gains 2 life really. Or to some combination of Leyline of Anticipation and other things that win.

Edit: I can't read!

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 29, 2018

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So im trying to plan out flights and poo poo for a gp im planning on going to, and i cant find a straight answer online for when the main event ends on sunday.

My flight looks like its taking off at 9:24pm and if I have to chose between playing out the finals (massive assumption I get there but still) and getting back in time for work monday then I probably wont go at all.

Its GP Atlanta btw.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

dragon enthusiast posted:

its a swerve and they're pulling a smash ultimate everyone is here with all the guild mechanics

im mtg master anthony and all of the mechanics are here to celebrate my birthday

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Lone Goat posted:

Maybe they could do a reworked version of Threshold that works like the city's blessing. As soon as you hit X (probably needs to be >7) cards in your graveyard, you have the Grave's Blessing for the rest of the game.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

JerryLee posted:

Maybe they could do a reworked version of Threshold that works like the city's blessing. As soon as you hit X (probably needs to be >7) cards in your graveyard, you have the Grave's Blessing for the rest of the game.

I can see this happening, but for a certain number of a certain type of card or something. Like, you have the Grave's Blessing Grave Tidings if you have five or more [type of creature] in the graveyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-u-w-control-53624#paper

This Modern U/W control list running all of the Gideons that took 1st really intrigues me. I'm pretty sure that Jace in it is a type and is supposed to be the good one.
It also runs 0 terminus.